Anyone stock up on medications while in Mexican ports?

Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you purchase "Medications" in Mexican Ports of Call?

• Yes
    • No

I bought 3 bottles of generic Prilosec (Omeprazol) last month on my cruise and I was able to bargain the price down because of the quantity. It was such a bargain and worked every bit as well as the generic prilosec I buy here in the states. For thoses that buy more then one bottle did you know the prices are soft?

So, I was on a cruise last week and passed by 2 drug stores that are in very close proximity to the ports. They advertise, on the big signs outside the pharmacy, that they sell......

anabolics

cipro

ultram

etc.....

the red flag for me is the advertising that they are selling anabolics (a known abused and therefore illegal drug here). Just didn't seem legit to me....

there could very well be places that are legitimate but these pharmacies in tourist areas don't seem to be it. It was a little scary to me. And of course, I didn't visit the store.

I have been to several drug stores in Mexico and Honduras(there's one at the pier). And what is offered varies from store to store. I've seen everything from Tylenol to Anabolic steroids to strong pain killers(including Opiates).

I have to answer "Yes". On my last trip to Mexico I purchased three bottles of Xalatan, for glaucoma, from a pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta. The cost was $20. That is less than half the cost of my co-pay. The actual cost of the medication is $110. I checked the batch number and expiration date and it is the same medication sold in the U.S.

This also happened in Spain. I forgot to pack these eye drops and we went to the pharmacy in Barcelona and purchased for 18 Euros.

I have also purchased Cipro and metoprolol in Brasil. We were staying with my SIL and realized that I had forgot to pack the metoprolol. The cost of each of these were under $10. No scripts were needed for any of these medications.

It really makes me a irritated why the same medication is 10X the cost in the U.S. It is NOT because it's old or inferior medication.

Take care,

Mike

Also...as a former person addicted to different drugs I am not advocating drug abuse or customs violations.

I do however think it's a good thought for folks who may need some medications and blew all their money for health care on a junior suite.

:)

lol

I don't take any meds on a regular basis. But if I did, like my dad who spends thousands a year (no exaggeration over 300.00 a month ) on blood thinners after 3 heart attacks. I sure as heck would buy them there. As far as messing up your body with too many antibiotics people do that here with a perscription. I use to work with a woman who would call her doctor and get a script for antibiotics if her nose ran! And he would give it to her! If your a normal person who only uses them when the are really needed and like they were meant to be used then getting them cheaper is great!

If the major chains did not know they had gotten counterfeit drugs from the wholesalers (there was a special on dateline) than I don't think any of us would be able to spot it either. There's also the placebo effect anyway so you might not even know whether it's fake. Part of the dateline show revolved around someone going to China and seeing for themselves how the counterfeit trade works.

That does not mean that a pharmacy would deliberately sell a counterfeit product but once it leaves the US there is no pedigree required. I work for a pharma company and we must provide the wholesalers with a pedigree of the drug from the time it was manufactured until it was shipped so that they can then prove the drugs they are selling on are, indeed, legitimate.

so, would i be ablle to buy "drugs" in san juan and get a deal? Spcifilcally - I take Frova for migraines.......(hate the migraines!) our trip in March only stops in st thomas, st martin and san juan ....well, labadee too, but....... hmmm, i'm thinking not there.....

Not San Juan, but possibly in St. Martin. The pharmacies have a greenn cross on the building. There is one a couple of blocks off of Front St. downtown. We were able to purchase Retin A for my mom...I don't know about other things. Take your prescription bottle. :)

Last time we were in Costa Maya we sat at an outdoor pharmacy (bar) right at the pier and they kept bringing us these 12 ounce bottles of medicine (beer) that after 10-12 all our problems were solved :D .... I'm sorry but this thread is hilarious in my opinion. (FYI - I think it's better than alright to buy meds in Mexico)

Being a "senior" citizen, and on Medicare, my first two quarters were acceptable, then in the 4th quarter.......it cost me $1,270.00 for the prescription medications that I have to take.

On my last trip to Mexico, I purchased the equivalent to Flo Max....which costs me over $600.00 for the quarter. The equivalent in Mexico.....is $114.00.

Don't get me started on how the United States is ripping us off, and the Pharmaceuticals are making more profit than ever.

Probably lining Obama's pockets!!

Flame away....... this is one subject that makes me sick!:eek: We have had the best medical care in the world........now about ready to be taken away from us.

But the costs of Pharmaceuticals............is beyond belief. Bend over, because they have been shoving it up our A$$'s for a long time.:mad:

Rick

Being a "senior" citizen, and on Medicare, my first two quarters were acceptable, then in the 4th quarter.......it cost me $1,270.00 for the prescription medications that I have to take.

On my last trip to Mexico, I purchased the equivalent to Flo Max....which costs me over $600.00 for the quarter. The equivalent in Mexico.....is $114.00.

Don't get me started on how the United States is ripping us off, and the Pharmaceuticals are making more profit than ever.

Probably lining Obama's pockets!!

Flame away....... this is one subject that makes me sick!:eek: We have had the best medical care in the world........now about ready to be taken away from us.

But the costs of Pharmaceuticals............is beyond belief. Bend over, because they have been shoving it up our A$$'s for a long time.:mad:

Rick

You are so right Rick... it's nothing new that money has always been made on pharmaceuticals...now it's just more obscene in our face...

OH please... stop lecturing. :eek: The OP mearly asked a question. WE have all heard and know the issues with antibiotic Resistance. My daughter got some serious cuts on her knees from coral while on a cruise and I did buy antibiotics that day to start her on. All we needed was for those cuts to become infected midway through our cruise..

Personally, Yes, I buy Valium in Mexico. :D

Well, my sister is one of those people who won't listen and thinks she knows more than she does. I guess she learned her lesson last year when she ended up in the hospital for three weeks trying to recover from the C. dif. that flourished in her intestinal tract after self-medicating with her Mexican acquired Amoxicillan. She lost nearly 30 lbs and nearly died- now this is something she's going to have to worry about forever. She would have to literally be on her death bed before any doctor would prescribe antibiotics for her at this point. So, go ahead and pop those antibiotics for every little thing :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm an R.N. and I've lectured her on this topic for many years, but she didn't care. So you all go ahead and "do what you think is best for yourself".

Well, my sister is one of those people who won't listen and thinks she knows more than she does. I guess she learned her lesson last year when she ended up in the hospital for three weeks trying to recover from the C. dif. that flourished in her intestinal tract after self-medicating with her Mexican acquired Amoxicillan. She lost nearly 30 lbs and nearly died- now this is something she's going to have to worry about forever. She would have to literally be on her death bed before any doctor would prescribe antibiotics for her at this point. So, go ahead and pop those antibiotics for every little thing :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm an R.N. and I've lectured her on this topic for many years, but she didn't care. So you all go ahead and "do what you think is best for yourself".

c-dif didn't just happen because of "illegal" drugs - did it? I know 2 people that have gotten c-dif - after being on meds here in the u.s.....

Well, I was in Cozumel this past Thursday, Jan 7th. They had ****** and ****** on the shelf behind the counter in the first store on the left as you get off the pier. I know that it isn't a nartcotic, but was still sort of surprised that is was sold over the counter. But the best news is that they have those Mexican blankets - 2 for $7.00 US and 3 ice-cold Dos XX's for $3.00 US:D

OK, looks like I was censured. The first one rhymes with Niagra. The other is for the same problem.

Was this your first cruise to Mexico???

Those products have been available there for years!!:)

And if the censors of this program have to censure those names.....someone needs to "get a life". They have saved many a marriage.:)

Rick

Due to my hubby's 20 years in the Army, we get our drugs free. But a few years ago I was on a cruise and came down with an ear infection and sinus infection. I've had numerous ear and sinus infections in my life and know my body well enough to know that is what I had. Choice was to go to the clinic on the ship and pay $200 plus the cost of Augmentin or go to a pharmacy and get the Augmentin in Mexico at $20. Sure the $200 would be reimbursed but that is a hassale. And what if they decided I didn't have anything but a cold and wouldn't give me what I knew I needed and the infection went into bronchitis (has happened in the past several times). Or what if they confined me to my cabin and my roommate also? Yes I got the Augmentin in Mexico but it was only for 5 days and I needed 10 days worth. Felt much better but saw my doctor as soon as I got back home and told him. Doctor said I did the right thing and ordered up the other 5 days of the Augmentin.

It really irrates me to see the number of pharmacitacal salespeople who push their product to the doctor while I'm sitting in the waiting room trying to be seen for a medical problem. Could it be why are drug costs are so high? Not to mention we have to cover the cost of advertising of the drugs.

Well, I was in Cozumel this past Thursday, Jan 7th. They had ****** and ****** on the shelf behind the counter in the first store on the left as you get off the pier. I know that it isn't a nartcotic, but was still sort of surprised that is was sold over the counter. But the best news is that they have those Mexican blankets - 2 for $7.00 US and 3 ice-cold Dos XX's for $3.00 US:D

If you type Russian in French....you don't get the asterisks like that.

heh

I love that dos equis guy and the commercials.

lol

Thanks for mentioning that. My understanding is that buying any drugs outside the US and bringing them back, prescription from a local MD or no, is against the law. Customs usually (usually) turns a blind eye to small quantities, but I'm not willing to risk being the random one who is busted.

It irks me that US consumers have to absorb the R&D expenses of the major pharmaceutical companies. Both Mexico and Canada (and perhaps many other countries) won't allow then to recoup those expenses, which is a major reason why the cost is lower outside the US.

But we don't need healthcare reform, oh, nooooooooo:rolleyes:

Actually, the law is tricky (see homeland security summary at end of post):

1. If it is controlled but not narcotic and you don't have a prescription, you can bring back 50 dosage units.

2. If it is controlled but not narcotic and it was prescribed by a DEA registrant you can bring back more than 50 dosage units.

3. If it is not-controlled, legal in the USA, and you do have a prescription, they usually won't fuss with you.

There are other situations as well, one time my husband (a DEA registrant) wrote a prescription (after a medical consultation) for a narcotic at the Vatican Pharmacy (priest friend who was a U.S. citizen traveling back and forth quite a bit and having major back pain problems). The prescription was written by a U.S. doc and filled at a foreign pharmacy. Fortunately for our friend DH always has his DEA card with him.

I was in situation 3 once... brought back more than 50 dosage units of birth control pills prescribed and filled in Italy one time when I had been living there for an extended period. Of course, I thought, who is going to blink at birth control...the pharmacist at the first farmacia I tried wouldn't fill it because he was a good Catholic and the second glared at me the whole time.

"U.S. residents entering the United States at international land borders who are carrying a validly obtained controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD), are subject to certain additional requirements. If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met."

Please note that only medications that can be legally prescribed in the United States may be imported for personal use. Be aware that possession of certain substances may also violate state laws. As a general rule, the FDA does not allow the importation of prescription drugs that were purchased outside the United States. Please see their Web site for information about the enforcement policy for personal use quantities."

Was this your first cruise to Mexico???

Those products have been available there for years!!

And if the censors of this program have to censure those names.....someone needs to "get a life". They have saved many a marriage.:)

Rick

:D:D:D. But you are right about the ******. Please, the name of a legal medication?:confused: :rolleyes:

Archived