Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

I just went through the 40+ pages of this thread and copy and pasted every one of Grumpy & Slinkie's posts into a Word document. Grumpy's words alone with no pictures (only because they would not copy to Word) is 126 pages!!!

I could not believe it! What an incredible read that will be and I'm looking forward to printing it (2 sided, of course) and reading it all over again.

Thanks again, Grumpy and Slinkie, for this incredible journal of your magnificent journey. Welcome Home!

The ship got off to a late embarkation from FLL due to the World Cruise passengers having to cart so much darn stuff off!! Those customs agents must've had a great time! Something about some couple from Naples----

The Prinsendam is beautiful, the staff is extremely friendly, and the food is good--haven't had much of it so far. I've managed to meet Johnny and Jennifer, they both surprise me by knowing my name before I told it to them. (Apparently someone from the world cruise told them). Jennifer's mom---I gave her a big hug for you.

Grumpy and Slinky---I can't wait to get home to read what's gone on since your last post (sorry, don't have a laptop here, so want to minimize my time online). There are some very nice nice people onboard from the WC who are of course getting off in NYC...you must've had a great time.

A message to Rotterdam, Ruffinready, tjcox9 and others on the NYC to Barcelona segment--they are actually offering the Granada & Alhambra tour out of Almeria and the shore excursion staff was very surprised to hear it wasn't being offered online. So if you're still interested in it, book onboard.

That's all for now.

Mary

What to do ... What to do... It's only been 24 hours and Slinkie and Grumpy are really missing their home on the water... Hmmm, if your home is on land and you miss it, you're homesick... so if your home is on the water, you'd be seasick?... Doesn't work quite right, does it?... Well, anyway, Grumpy's really torn between the need to stay on land for awhile to take care of obligations, and the desire to get back at sea...

Disembarkation was rather slow... seems that NY customs wanted FLL customs to preclear all of the passengers that were continuing to NY... FLL said it wasn't there job... NY said no one would be allowed to disembark in NY unless there customs form had an FLL stamp on it... FLL wouldn't allow anyone to disembark until that was all resolved... Bureaucrats!

With the late disembarkation, they had to scramble to get everyone with early air connections off first, so people that had made their own ground arrangements were the last off... which is very understandable, and Slinkie and Grumpy didn't mind waiting if that helped someone else make a connection.

Things didn't go exactly as planned... the trauma of having to get off the ship must have caused Grumpy to have some of those intellectual interludes... The two bags that were packed a day before so they could be shipped home by courier were taken down to the hold without the red courier tags. Grumpy found them in the drawer the next morning... The front desk sent someone up to pick up the tags and a description of the luggage, with assurances that he would locate the bags and tag them. There were five more pieces set out for the porter's to handle and Slinkie and Grumpy had a total of 7 pieces to carry off... well, drag off... two wheeled duffles with all of the souvenirs... to shoulder bags with 5 bottles of south African wine in each... two computer bags... one bag full of Slinkies valuables... and don't forget Slinkie's purse... it's as big and heavy as most of the other 7 pieces... note to self... next time, pack a very large two wheeled cart...

After their disembarkation letter was finally called, Slinkie and Grumpy made there way down the gangway, struggling to keep the wheeled duffles from tipping over and trying not to drop any of the other five bags that were draped over their shoulders... Captain Gundersen was coming up the gangway and started giving Grumpy "docking instructions" like the pilots give to him... "Ease it ahead a few feet... steady as she goes... watch the portside clearance"... They got through the passport inspection point and down to the baggage area... naturally the remaining bags were in the furtherest corner of the building... Grumpy spotted a familiar looking group of bags and headed toward them... YES, there's the big bags and a couple of smaller ones... NO! there are no red shipping tags on any of them... OH well, there's always room for another item when you pack the car... Grumpy noticed that two bags weren't with the group and after putting all of the carry/drag off items with the others, looked around and located two more pieces. After getting the burliest porter in the place to bring over his oversized cart and load everything on, Grumpy and Slinkie proceeded with him through the customs inspection line.

Grumpy and Slinkie had met with the custom's people onboard earlier... required for those that had exceeded their $800 per person allowance in foreign purchases... and had paid the piper before disembarkation. they went through the inspection line and just had to show the receipt from the piper. Outside the terminal, there was a vaguely familiar face holding a sign that said "Grumpy and Slinkie"... Yep, that's Lynnaldo!... The porter dropped everything at the curb and Lynnaldo went to the parking garage and retrieved the car.

Two largest bags in first... two smaller ones in the corners... computer bags on top... wheeled duffles in the back seat... bags of wine on the floor in the back seat... finally, everything is in and there's still room for a driver and two passengers... good thing, too... Grumpy would have felt real bad if he had to put Lynnaldo on the Greyhound bus...

After a trip across "Alligator Alley"... that's I-75 across the Florida Everglades... and a stop for lunch... What's this about having to PAY for lunch... Oh, yeah, Grumpy vaguely remembers that shoreside custom... the overloaded Buick arrived at it's Naples, FL destination... unload all of the stuff and pile it in the dining room... say "goodbye" to Lynnaldo, go back in and survey the mountain of stuff to unpack.

Now all the way from FLL to Naples Smug Grumpy has been congratulating himself on the fantastic job he did of packing all of that stuff in the car... but you know all about "pride goeth before the fall" and all that sort of stuff... Uh Oh... that mountain isn't big enough... there's two suitcases that aren't there... No time to waste... back in the car and back across Alligator Alley to FLL... Grumpy called Lynnaldo and asked her to try to contact the terminal and see if the bags could be located. After contacting Grumpy's TA, who made a call or two, Lynnaldo was able to report back to Grumpy that the bags were indeed still there and could be picked up at the security checkpoint at the terminal.

Pulling up to the terminal and seeing that the Prinsendam was still there, Grumpy and Slinkie were really tempted to see if there was still time to try to get a visitor's pass and get back onboard... but it was getting pretty close to sailaway time and it was getting to be a long day... so back to Naples.

First things first, so start unpacking clothes and hanging them up... there's always been plenty of hangers in the closets... you know those things multiply when you put two of them in the closet and shut the door... but someone must have broken in and stolen most of them because the hangers ran out and there were still dozens of shirts, skirts, tops, and slacks to hang up.

It was getting to be time for dinner and there wasn't much in the cupboard, so out to Castaway's for dinner and down to Walmart for a few groceries and about 40 hangers... back home, finish unpacking... ran out of hangers again... but Slinkie says she's going to get rid of some of her old clothes to free up a few more... unpacked all of the goodies from the souvenir shops of the world... nothing broken!.. miracles do happen... and finally was able to call it a day and head off to slumberland... Those new Eurotop mattresses on the Prinsendam are wonderful, but the Select Comfort at home really felt good. Slinkie and Grumpy both enjoyed a really good nights sleep even if Suki did forget to stop by to turn down the covers and leave chocolats on the pillow.

So now the incredible world voyage has come to an end and all that is left are lot's of memories... well, those and a very large collection of goodies and souvenirs from places that one year ago Slinkie and Grumpy never thought they would be visiting so soon... but, fear not faithful readers, there are still more details to report... Grumpy hasn't reported on Barbados and Half Moon Cay yet... pictures to post... and posts to respond to, so the thread will continue.

TexEm and Ingrid... any other CC'ers that boarded in FLL and also those that are boarding in NY... Cristiano, Rotterdam... you all know that Grumpy and Slinkie wish they were still onboard and enjoying your cruise with you. May your seas be smooth and skies clear...

Grumpy and Slinkie

Welcome back to sunny Florida, you worldly worlders:D You came home to a magnificent weekend. I had to copy and past the up to the minute latest into my Word document and I'll continue to do so until you're tale is totally told.

I can't believe you had to make that trek back across Alligator Alley! Such a tiresome road. We recently took it over to Naples to stay in Naples for the weekend. Not a bad little town to come home to:) .

Now that everyone is ordering the HAL beds from the HAL shop, I'm glad to read you're happy with your Select Comfort since that's what our next bed is planning to be.

It is amazing about those hangars, isn't it. Either there are so many you're throwing them out or suddenly they disappear:o

Oh!!! You think you weren't paying for your food while you were gone? Ha ha!;)

Welcome Home Grumpie and Slinkie ... Glad to read everything made it home in one piece ....sorry to hear about the hangers!!:p But, I know slinkie is up to the task of taking care of things ... got to make room for all those new duds found in all those wonderful ports around the world!!

Will continue to check this thread daily .. with hopes that you will continue to post some additional comments about your wonderful cruise .. and perhaps a picture or two!!

Thanks again, and welcome back ....

Peggy Sue

Enjoyed your latest post. Glad you made it home safe and sound even with an extra trip back to FLL.

It must be very hard to get back to "normal" after four months of being waited on. What a bummer - having to buy lunch! and to shop for groceries at W...... Maybe they will give you something "free" for the plug! Now it is back to cooking and cleaning:mad: and no Suki to turn down the bed and leave a chocolate or other surprise pillow gift. Everyone say - ahhhhhh:)

Looking forward to hearing ab out the final few days of the WC. Take care and enjoy home sweet home.

Welcome back to sunny Florida, you worldly worlders:D ...

I can't believe you had to make that trek back across Alligator Alley! Such a tiresome road. ...QUOTE]

Hi, Heather! I just had to giggle at that comment because I always keep my eyes glued to the canal along the side of I-75, looking for the alligators. I saw dozens of them yesterday, and I know all the way on our second pass they were grinning and laughing at us.

I'm surprised Grumpy didn't say we just went back because I wanted to find a way to sneak back on board. We did wave goodbye again to the beautiful Prinsendam that we had called home for almost four months. You know how it is on moving day.

Don't believe his comment about my purse - It's not that big, and I hung it around my neck. It was the two Holland America shopping bags he stuffed full, plus the two collapsible Holland America suitcases with various other shopping bags strapped onto the handles that made it hard to navigate the turns and escalator. People watching us board the elevator just backed away amazed and said they'd wait for the next trip or just walk down. On the escalator down to land, I just clung to my handle with both shoulders laden with computer bags stuffed full with jewelry and other things we didn't dare lose physical contact with, and somehow I maintained my balance all the way down.

It was another memorable port, quite different from any other, as has been our whole incredible voyage.

Slinkie

Grumpy and Slinkie,

Glad you finally made it home. Thank goodness you do not live too far away from the terminal or it may have ended up with a different ending after your great cruise.

Nothing beats home but I must admit once I unpack, get settled in and do the washing I am itching to be off again. Where are you planning to go next?

Jennie

Slinkie!!! There you are:p ... so good to 'see' you again:) . I cannot imagine how it must have been to get off the Prinsendam after making her your home for so many months.

I have in my mind a picture of Slinkie with all these bags hanging off her with Grumpy standing tall by her side with one little paper sack. Kidding!!!:D

In all the times we've driven Alligator Alley, we have yet to see a single alligator! We see more in our lake in our back yard !! Everyone always told us to look in the canals for all the alligators ... nothing:( .

Hi guys We made it home too. Got in the the door at 3am your time. Avery long flight one bag missing but the airlines delivered it this afternoon. only 5 more to come later only hope it is about 2 weeks from now. How could we have taken so many clothes and bought somuch stuff oh well it was fun while it lasted now to the chore of shopping for FOOD AND PREPARING SAME UGH. Remember our walk on the beach at Half Moon it seems along time ago but it was only the day before yesterday! We are so very pleased we were able to meet you both and again say you did a wonderful job of reporting. Definitely next cruise should be a gift from HAL what good PR you gave them

Heather, it was more like him with both hands full of the pull-along HAL bags with two shopping bags and a big computer bag strapped onto them, and a camera around his neck, while I had only two computer bags and my purse. The HAL suitcases were stuffed full, and they tended to tip easily. I finally convinced Grumpy to let me pull one, and that worked fine. There was a port attendant at the head of the escalator who instructed everyone to keep one hand free to hold onto the railing, and once I had stowed away my passport I could grasp the moving handrail, step onto the moving stairs and I just remained motionless so nothing would disturb my equilibrium. Usually I keep moving on those escalators, so this was different for me.

As for the alligators, I never saw them the first time I went across, but it has a lot to do with which direction you are traveling at what time of day. Going east, you have to have the sun in the north sky, as they sit on the bank to warm in the sunshine. You also have to watch the surface of the water for them floating. If it's early morning you won't see them. Going west, you have a great view at noon and through the afternoon. We saw them going both directions yesterday as it was all between noon and 5 P.M. We also saw Osprey sitting on posts as well as cormorants, herons and egrets. Buzzards circled above, and as an Ohio resident for most of my life, I will always consider them as sentinels tracking my path wherever I go.

We know we will cruise again, but we don't know when or to where.

Slinkie

Welcome Home Grumpy and slinkie! Sounds like you 2 make a good team :) Hope your back to reality is a smooth one :) Grumpy, are you going to tell us about your last stops ??? Also if you were able to get a photo of the terra cotta cabana, could you email it to me when you get the time to ziggysmoney@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Welcome home, even if it DID take you two times to finally get there!!! :)

We even enjoyed reading about THAT! Grumpy, you have missed your calling, you are a great writer!!! How nice to see that Slinkie is back on the board, too.................and think the two of you really should think about writing something for further publication.

I hope you are able to relax and enjoy recuperating and remembering your wonderful cruise!

Grumpy & Slinkie....Welcome Home & Happy Mothers Day!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to check your posts & also to see where the Prinsemdam is! A friend is on the Golden Princess which was suppose to dock here in NYC today - apparently they hit a storm & will be 24 rs late....its the same course the Prinsemsdam was making to NYC...I wonder if she'll be late & I'm wondering how much Grumpy & Slinkie has to do with this?????

Please let me know if I'll be sailing on Slinkiedam tomorrow!

Grumpy & Slinkie....Welcome Home & Happy Mothers Day!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to check your posts & also to see where the Prinsemdam is! A friend is on the Golden Princess which was suppose to dock here in NYC today - apparently they hit a storm & will be 24 rs late....its the same course the Prinsemsdam was making to NYC...I wonder if she'll be late & I'm wondering how much Grumpy & Slinkie has to do with this?????

Please let me know if I'll be sailing on Slinkiedam tomorrow!

Grumpy and Slinkie had 113 days of smooth sailing... do you think that kind of luck can last forever?... besides Slinkie and Grumpy aren't on board anymore, so anything can happen... but grumpy thinks the Slinkiedam can handle the rough seas better than that wallowing box they call Golden Princess...

Grumpy

Just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed this thread so very much.

You did a great job writing about your adventures, and I really appreciate that you took the time to share!!

Best Regards to you and your lovely wife,

Ziggy, we looked at the cabanas, and they were identical all down the line. There were many people partying in the last one, your terra cotta, and it was just like the others, a little box with a bar and an air conditioner in the back wall above the bar. The two sidewalls had swinging windows you could prop open.

Rotterdam, if you've been following our thread, you'll know we have been one step ahead of many storms and an earthquake - What makes you think that would stop just because we left the ship? The blessed ship Prinsendam has its own guardian angels and a captain who reads the storms well.

Have faith - on every sea day at precisely 1 P.M. Captain Halle Thon Gundersen will come on the ship's PA system (channel 38 or 39 if you are in your cabin) saying, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. This is me again with a little update from the bridge..." He then proceeds to give the ship's coordinates as of noon, the temperature of air and sea, the sea conditions and the expected weather conditions of the day and next day. After he has told what path the ship will take and what the nearest land masses will be, he gives the mike to Gary Walker, the CD.

Morebilge, we wish we could have spent more time with both of you - please keep in touch with us privately. We loved talking with you on board.

Jennie, we can never thank you enough for the fabulous tour you gave us. What a wonderful day we spent in Melbourne! We know we have to return to see more.

Thanks to all of you who read this thread and have enjoyed our trip around this wonderful planet. It is still incredible to me that we made this entire journey. It was as I anticipated, the trip of a lifetime, and not something to be done frivolously. We both gained tremendous insight into the complexity of the political, religious and economic status of these countries we visited and especially the position our own country holds in the people's esteem in those countries.

Even in the island of Reunion, La Possession (I think it is a French possession), we were treated like royalty when we found their shopping district, and the shop owners were so grateful that we even came into their little shops. I bought clothes to wear just once, only to help them and to have something to bring home from their country.

We may grumble now and then about our U.S. dollars going to other countries, but if you have ever gone to those countries, you know that they cannot survive at all without the outflow of cash, jobs, technology, and whatever we can spare for them.

Slinkie

Slinkie & Grumpy -

I'm almost done packing....my friend called again from the Golden Princess(I agree w/ your assessment Grumpy) & said he could see another ship in the distance...PRINSEMDAM!!!!!!!!

Please watch over us as we cross the Atlantic(and drink the wonderful Spanish wine). I always like the noon update from the Captain - I hope he won't be using Grumpy's GPS.....altho going around the globe would be nice!!!!!

Off to bed.......

Archived