The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I see on the list of hotels in post #862 the International Palms Resort is referred to as the "old Holiday Inn". would that be the same Holiday Inn I would have stayed in in the early 1990's?

Also, if the choice was between the International Palms and La Quinta (not the Inn and Suites one), which would you pick? We're looking for low cost accomadations for a week in early June and these 2 hotels are showing about the same price. Doesn't need to be fancy, but does need to be clean!

Thanks!

It is the same. They are across the street from each other. The IP is on the ocean.

Behind the Radisson on the water is Manatee Park. Go early in the morning.

Hey Preston, we have stayed at the Radisson several times now and will be staying again in October. Is Manatee Park within walking distance behind the hotel or will we need to drive?

Had no idea it was back there......:o

Hey Preston, we have stayed at the Radisson several times now and will be staying again in October. Is Manatee Park within walking distance behind the hotel or will we need to drive?

Had no idea it was back there......:o

10 minutes right down the road by Zachary's. The city should promote it in the hotels. I suspect many do not know the manatees are that close.

just a quick ? We are staying at Radisson Sunday and I want to go Fishlips for dinner to watch sailaways how far is it from the hotel can we walk or should we drive? cant wait Thanks in advance:D

It is close but because of the road you need to drive or have the hotel shuttle take you over. Try the Won Ton shrimp.

Should I have any worries about using Cocoa Beach Shuttle? I have used them in 08 and 09 without any issues but I noticed some less than flattering comments about them in the last couple years.

I cannot really say one way or the other. Ownership changes I think.

just a quick ? We are staying at Radisson Sunday and I want to go Fishlips for dinner to watch sailaways how far is it from the hotel can we walk or should we drive? cant wait Thanks in advance:D

Fishlips is not really walkable, definitely drive.

I have been back and forth with ideas of where to stay when in the area for our Freedom of the Seas cruise next year. We aren't renting a car, and we are using VIP Limo for transportation. I am looking for a hotel that has a few eateries either on site or within walking distance. What are the best choices? We are considering staying in Port Canaveral as opposed to Cocoa Beach this time, although either would work.

I have been back and forth with ideas of where to stay when in the area for our Freedom of the Seas cruise next year. We aren't renting a car, and we are using VIP Limo for transportation. I am looking for a hotel that has a few eateries either on site or within walking distance. What are the best choices? We are considering staying in Port Canaveral as opposed to Cocoa Beach this time, although either would work.
We are on your Freedom sailing next February. We have almost always stated in Port Canaveral usually at Residence Inn.

Try LaQuinta oceanfront. It has it all!

Preston, thank you. You know what is funny? We stayed there last year when we went on Monarch, and it was very nice. We took a short walk from the hotel and went to a restaurant....I'm trying to remember the name! I just recall that we thought it would be so-so, but it was really good. We also had an oceanview room, so the balcony was wonderful to use.

Sherri, I was looking into the Residence Inn as well. We are only there for a day, and like the idea of convenience.

Preston, thank you. You know what is funny? We stayed there last year when we went on Monarch, and it was very nice. We took a short walk from the hotel and went to a restaurant....I'm trying to remember the name! I just recall that we thought it would be so-so, but it was really good. We also had an oceanview room, so the balcony was wonderful to use.

Sherri, I was looking into the Residence Inn as well. We are only there for a day, and like the idea of convenience.

I have had booking Residence Inn for Feb. 9, 2013 as a tickler on my calendar for a few days so I went ahead an booked. I think the shuttle may be able to take you to local restaurants. I suggest calling the hotel and asking about the shuttle and cabs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read another thread where the poster stated that it took an hour to return a rental car and take the rental shuttle back to the port. We will be boarding Freedom of the Seas in 9 days - yea! - and were planning on having my husband drop myself, the kids and the luggage at the port first, then he would return the car and take the shuttle back.

Does it really take an hour to do this? I'm trying to picture myself keeping three little kids corralled for that long when all they will want to do is check in and get onboard.

How much would a taxi cost to take just him - no luggage - back to the port and should he just do that instead of the shuttle? Thanks!

We are flying into Orlando Wed. night 5/23 arriving after midnight, where I hope to rent a car, stay in Cocoa Beach area, see Kennedy Space Center and drive down to Miami to sail Carnival Liberty on Sat. 5/26 Mapquest/google maps say 3 hrs 45 min. drive time. Ive seen posters say 5 plus hrs?? trying to figure whether to try the drive fri nite before and stay closer, or wait til Sat. Plus have to figure where to drop rental car and shuttle over to port. So far it seems only drop off is Miami airport. Is that close to port? Anyone else done it this way? Suggestions?? We are going to KSC that Friday and plan on staying til close. Might split the drive and stay in West Palm Beach area, if so, we also need the hotel in Cocoa Beach to allow for a late check out friday or some kind of day use as some of our party dont want to go to Space Center,...Thoughts? Also considering it's Memorial Day Weekend

hey preston

where is a good place to go eat breakfast on easter sunday before we board the FOS?? we are staying at Radisson by the Port.

Not Preston but you can walk to a diner called Zachary's Restaurant. It's right out in front of the Radisson. We have had breakfast there several times before our cruises, it's always good. :)

Edited by jdbmga

I just read another thread where the poster stated that it took an hour to return a rental car and take the rental shuttle back to the port. We will be boarding Freedom of the Seas in 9 days - yea! - and were planning on having my husband drop myself, the kids and the luggage at the port first, then he would return the car and take the shuttle back.

Does it really take an hour to do this? I'm trying to picture myself keeping three little kids corralled for that long when all they will want to do is check in and get onboard.

How much would a taxi cost to take just him - no luggage - back to the port and should he just do that instead of the shuttle? Thanks!

About $10 but it is usually much faster.