Beverage Packages

willbrook

I called Celebrity this morning to inquire if the newly introduced beverage packages were available for purchase on a "day-to-day" (or weekly) basis, or only for the duration of the entire cruise. The first Celebrity representative I spoke with told me the packages could be purchased onboard on a "day-to-day" basis.

I called a second time and spoke with a Captain's Club representative. This employee informed me that the packages had to be purchased for the entire cruise and could not be purchased "day-to-day".

It looks like not all Celebrity employees are "onboard" with regard to the new beverage programs. Has anyone made a similiar inquiry to Celebrity?

Thanks.

I understood from previous posts that you could buy it on board for the remainder of the cruise.

Me - I decided to go for broke and took the Beer package for me and the Soda package for Wifey

Seems fair!!!

Just back from the summit....

First, the packages were not even advertised anywhere (except the usual soda and wine packages)

Second, I also asked around and spoke witha few of the bartenders and drink servers on teh ship. they stated that basically they don't get credit for the sales fromt eh packages even if they sell you the pkg (like the sommelier does for wine) and they don't get to count the drink total towards their sales goal for each shift, therefore they were very reluctant to sell the program and were very slow to refill those who had the pkgs. They also don't get a full tip from the sale either, so unless you tip an additional 15% they don't get anything....

We got the same story from more than 6 servers/bartenders. Thought the whole thing sounded pretty shady.

Is there restrictions with the drinks packages.On the site they are advertised as "per night" Does this mean that you can't take advantage of the package during the day?

What they mean by "per night" is that if you have a five-night-cruise and the package costs $31 per day, then you would pay 5x31 for the package (five nights times $31/per day - so $155 total). It has nothing to do with the time of day you are allowed to use the package - you can use the package anytime you want (assuming it is not 4:00am and no bar/lounge/restaurant is open).

You can only purchase them for the entire length of the cruise - not day-by-day.

But you can add the package at a pro-rated price after the cruise has begun. Technically you can't get it for just one day, but my brother did on Equinox. After the first day he realized the beer package wasn't going to be worth it for him and got a pro-rated refund (but I wouldn't count on this being possible in every situation--he can be quite charming).

What they mean by "per night" is that if you have a five-night-cruise and the package costs $31 per day, then you would pay 5x31 for the package (five nights times $31/per day - so $155 total). It has nothing to do with the time of day you are allowed to use the package - you can use the package anytime you want (assuming it is not 4:00am and no bar/lounge/restaurant is open).

That's what I thought,but just wanted to make sure.Many thanks.

We called the Captains Club tonight and if you purchase the Classic / Premium Alcohol package it also includes the Frozen package. Actually it just made sense to ask. We are looking at purchasing it as we are going to book Eclipse for next year and for what we drink a day it will make us come out ahead. And for the port days rather than getting off the ship to go to a bar we will just stay onboard and enjoy a peaceful day onboard.

We called the Captains Club tonight and if you purchase the Classic / Premium Alcohol package it also includes the Frozen package. Actually it just made sense to ask. We are looking at purchasing it as we are going to book Eclipse for next year and for what we drink a day it will make us come out ahead. And for the port days rather than getting off the ship to go to a bar we will just stay onboard and enjoy a peaceful day onboard.

On the Summit last week the Liquor pkgs did NOT include the frozen drinks, they were two different packages.

I would also confirm that information. If it included both packages it would state so on the web site. They are separate packages, separate prices. We've purchased both, separately, with no indication that they were interchangeable.

If this was the case many of us would just purchase the premium/classic package.

Before you decide, call again and confirm this information. You don't want to be disappointed.

Pat C

I've called Celebrity on three occasions and have gotten three different answers to my original question.

My inquiry related to purchasing a beverage package at some point during the cruise; i.e. only for the 2nd week of a 2 week cruise.

Celebrity representative #1 informed me that yes, you could purchase a package on a "day-to-day" basis. This appeared to me as too flexible and a nuisance for Celebrity to manage. I called again.

Celebrity representative #2 informed me that yes, you could purchase a beverage package for the 2nd week of your cruise -- for the duration of your cruise. You would only be charged for the days you actually used the package, i.e. the 2nd week only. Great, just what I'd like. Thought it might be a good idea to call a 3rd time just to achieve a consensus.

Celebrity representative #3 informed me that yes, you could purchase a beverage package for the 2nd week of your cruise, but that you would be charged retroactively for the entire package from the first day of the cruise! Who in their right mind would would opt for this arrangement?

Obviously there are a few wrinkles yet to be worked out. I'll save further inquiries until I'm on-board!

It's pretty simple really. Even though the representatives do not know what they are talking about, when you try to buy the package on Celebrity's website, the only option is for the ENTIRE cruise, not day by day or one week at a time. They will put the package on your sail card. That's how it is tracked. If you get it on the cruise, then they will probably give you a sticker like the coke package. I had the frozen drink package in December and got the same runaround when I tried to call and ask questions, about whether the regular alcohol package included frozen drinks, wine, etc. After being on the ship, I learned for sure that each package is separate, no combining of the two. Personally, I think that's a mistake, and if you pay x amount of dollars, buying those alcohol packages, it should include anything cheaper in the package. Just my opinion and hopefully they will change after they get guest feedback.

I realize the only option on Celebrity's website is to pre-purchase a beverage package for the entire cruise. I'm trying to determine if there are other options available once the cruise has commenced. It would seem that Celebrity would be receptive to a passsenger who desired to purchase a beverage package mid-way through their cruise.

well once on the ship, they weren't really hot to sell it to anyone at all... nevermind how many days you could buy it for. see my post above about the gratuity issue with these packages. the pool waiters had people waiting much longer if they the package as far as I could tell, not a good service thing, but if they aren't getting a tip out of it I can sort of understand why.

I realize the only option on Celebrity's website is to pre-purchase a beverage package for the entire cruise. I'm trying to determine if there are other options available once the cruise has commenced. It would seem that Celebrity would be receptive to a passsenger who desired to purchase a beverage package mid-way through their cruise.

I would be surprised if Celebrity permitted this as it would make no sense financially for them to do so. They want the revenue generated from someone buying the package for the entire cruise. If they let people cherry pick a limited period of the cruise, they could drink heavily during the select days where they have the package. It would be a lose-lose scenario for Celebrity to do it in that manner. People always have the option of paying for beverages by-the-drink, so there is no need for Celebrity to offer the package in small increments.

well once on the ship, they weren't really hot to sell it to anyone at all... nevermind how many days you could buy it for. see my post above about the gratuity issue with these packages. the pool waiters had people waiting much longer if they the package as far as I could tell, not a good service thing, but if they aren't getting a tip out of it I can sort of understand why.

Its only logical that they would be more apt to serve people that they received tips from than not.

I am sure the way to get around that is to have a little extra cash on hand and tip them. I do that when I go to a normal bar anyway. I start by giving the bartender a good tip and tell him to keep my drink full and then tip big in the end if they do so.

Its only logical that they would be more apt to serve people that they received tips from than not.

I am sure the way to get around that is to have a little extra cash on hand and tip them. I do that when I go to a normal bar anyway. I start by giving the bartender a good tip and tell him to keep my drink full and then tip big in the end if they do so.

I think you are m issing my point. When you buy the package they tell you the tip of 15% is already included. There are many people who don't add on to that at all. Since the servers don't get the 15% from a package sale and they don't get to count it towards their quota, they would have to rely on someone tipping over and above the 15% to get the tip. Therefore the pkgs are a double whammy to the servers. The people we talked to didn't realize for the first couple of cruises but by the time we were on last week, they were not thrilled with the new offers.

We always tip over the 15% but from talking with others, many don't. I actually made out better without buying the package since one bartender we found by the pool made it well worth our while so the drinks were cheaper than we expected.

Worldsbestcandles- I would be extremely offended if I purchased the premium liquor package (a 10 day cruise makes it about $800.00) and the servers slowed up my drinks...ignored me...or what have you. I just don't see that because the website clearly states that the 15% service charge is included and I am sure that the sales for that cruise are credited to the beverage departments total sales for the week. It's not good customer service to snub someone because they pre-paid. I would also like to mention that crew members will say anything to get tips from passengers. I was in the restaurant business for years and I would hussle tips too, it's all in a days work.

This is from the website; no wonder the servers/bartenders didn't have all the information...it's handled through the Guest Relations desk.

This package must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date. To purchase Beverage Packages onboard, please visit the Guest Relations desk for more information.

Worldsbestcandles- I would be extremely offended if I purchased the premium liquor package (a 10 day cruise makes it about $800.00) and the servers slowed up my drinks...ignored me...or what have you. I just don't see that because the website clearly states that the 15% service charge is included and I am sure that the sales for that cruise are credited to the beverage departments total sales for the week. It's not good customer service to snub someone because they pre-paid. I would also like to mention that crew members will say anything to get tips from passengers. I was in the restaurant business for years and I would hussle tips too' date=' it's all in a days work.

This is from the website; no wonder the servers/bartenders didn't have all the information...it's handled through the Guest Relations desk.

[i']This package must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date. To purchase Beverage Packages onboard, please visit the Guest Relations desk for more information. [/i]

fine, say I'm lying all you want. I was there and saw what I saw.

My info was also confirmed by the person at Guest relations. They had no different info than what the servers said.

I've called Celebrity on three occasions and have gotten three different answers to my original question.

My inquiry related to purchasing a beverage package at some point during the cruise; i.e. only for the 2nd week of a 2 week cruise.

Celebrity representative #1 informed me that yes, you could purchase a package on a "day-to-day" basis. This appeared to me as too flexible and a nuisance for Celebrity to manage. I called again.

Celebrity representative #2 informed me that yes, you could purchase a beverage package for the 2nd week of your cruise -- for the duration of your cruise. You would only be charged for the days you actually used the package, i.e. the 2nd week only. Great, just what I'd like. Thought it might be a good idea to call a 3rd time just to achieve a consensus.

Celebrity representative #3 informed me that yes, you could purchase a beverage package for the 2nd week of your cruise, but that you would be charged retroactively for the entire package from the first day of the cruise! Who in their right mind would would opt for this arrangement?

Obviously there are a few wrinkles yet to be worked out. I'll save further inquiries until I'm on-board!

Hi Willbrook !

As the liquor packages are fairly new, I do not have the answer for them.

However, if you were asking about a Soft Drink Package, Celebrity Rep #2 got it right. I've purchased the Soft Drink package a few days into the sailing, and was charged the pro-rated rate, for the duration of the sailing. It was never a problem.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

We always tip over the 15% but from talking with others, many don't. I actually made out better without buying the package since one bartender we found by the pool made it well worth our while so the drinks were cheaper than we expected.

How did he manage that??

Can anyone explain the drinks package. Celebritys site says for UK residents £350 per person for spirits for 10 night cruise. This seems a lot of money. Does it mean all Wines, cocktails with spirits in and gin and tonic?

Also does anyone know the current cost of decent bottle of wine and gin and tonic?

Thanks

Archived