No expectations makes for a great FREEDOM cruise! My Story:

QTMichele

Tomorrow, I'm calling RCCL to officially book an FOS 7 day eastern caribbean thanksgiving sail (11/21/2010), and your review has got me so excited! You wrote a wonderful and comprehensive review. As a mom of a 7 and 6 year old, I am so appreciative that other moms have written such great reviews that I can read and learn from.

I hope to return the "favor" when it's our turn to cruise. :)

Awesome! I'm so glad you enjoyed my review! Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be more than happy to "re-live" my experience with you.

Thank you for taking the time to prepare such a wonderful review! We are traveling with our Granddaughters - 11 and 9, in August on FOS. We did not know what to expect as we have only cruised on Celebrity and with no children. If you could recall, what were the Children's Menus like in the MDR? I love your idea of the Sorrento's treat each evening. I can imagine our granddaughters will love this! Again, thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to prepare such a wonderful review! We are traveling with our Granddaughters - 11 and 9, in August on FOS. We did not know what to expect as we have only cruised on Celebrity and with no children. If you could recall, what were the Children's Menus like in the MDR? I love your idea of the Sorrento's treat each evening. I can imagine our granddaughters will love this! Again, thank you.

What wonderful grandparents you are! I'm sure the girls will have a wonderful time on the Freedom. :)

The girls will be able to order off the children's menu OR the adult menu. :D I've posted the children's menu that CC member Cruisinmama06 has posted. Here it is:

Menu09.jpg

By the way, my kids STILL talk about our cruise and our evening Sorrento's run. They are begging to go on another cruise!

Thank you for the menu. This is perfect. Just what I was looking for. I was worried they would have to order off the Adult Menu and the little one can be a little picky. They do love dressing up and going to a "nice" restaurant so were hoping they would be able to experience it. Especially on formal nights.

thanks for posting your views and photos. your family is adorable. glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise, i love the fos. We had inside promenade and i had a problem remembering your neighbors across the promenade looking in.

LOVE the idea to actually get in the photo with the towel animals! I always photograph them, but never thought of joining them in the photo! Thanks for the idea!

Thanks! Just another way to get our "mugs" in print. ;)

Thank you for the menu. This is perfect. Just what I was looking for. I was worried they would have to order off the Adult Menu and the little one can be a little picky. They do love dressing up and going to a "nice" restaurant so were hoping they would be able to experience it. Especially on formal nights.

You're welcome! I can't imagine the pickiest of eaters having a difficult time finding something to enjoy on a cruise ship. There was sooooo much to choose from that it was hard to decide. (Of course, sometimes we chose both! :D )

thanks for posting your views and photos. your family is adorable. glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise, i love the fos. We had inside promenade and i had a problem remembering your neighbors across the promenade looking in.

You're so welcome! And thank you for your nice comments and taking the time to read my review.

Here's one more fun picture...

22744_309048716163_502681163_4773687_4740323_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This review was very helpful!! We're taking our 14 month old on the Freedom on the 25th and I've spent a ton of time trying to read about other people's experiences with babies. We have a balcony room, and we can't seem to determine whether there's a curtain separating the sitting area (where I guess the pack & play will be) from the bed. A customer service rep said no, but the pictures on RCL's website show it. Also, I'd read elsewhere that an umbrella stroller is best because it fits through all the hallways and doors on the ship, but after seeing the pic of your baby sleeping in the stroller as it reclined, now I'm 2nd guessing. DH says to bring both, but I think that is crazy. I hate to buy a new stroller; we only have the "big" one (Graco metrolite that was part of the travel system) or an umbrella one.

We're considering using the in-room babysitting for a night or two (though some people seem to think we ought to be reported to the authorities for even thinking about leaving our baby with a stranger) and it's good to know you had a a good experience with that. The idea is a bit disconcerting but I'm sure it'll be ok.

Thanks for a great account of the trip! This will be my 3rd cruise, my 2nd was on the Mariner, like you. I cannot wait, cruising is the best! I just hope bringing the baby is the right decision! :_)

This review was very helpful!! We're taking our 14 month old on the Freedom on the 25th and I've spent a ton of time trying to read about other people's experiences with babies. We have a balcony room, and we can't seem to determine whether there's a curtain separating the sitting area (where I guess the pack & play will be) from the bed. A customer service rep said no, but the pictures on RCL's website show it. Also, I'd read elsewhere that an umbrella stroller is best because it fits through all the hallways and doors on the ship, but after seeing the pic of your baby sleeping in the stroller as it reclined, now I'm 2nd guessing. DH says to bring both, but I think that is crazy. I hate to buy a new stroller; we only have the "big" one (Graco metrolite that was part of the travel system) or an umbrella one.

We're considering using the in-room babysitting for a night or two (though some people seem to think we ought to be reported to the authorities for even thinking about leaving our baby with a stranger) and it's good to know you had a a good experience with that. The idea is a bit disconcerting but I'm sure it'll be ok.

Thanks for a great account of the trip! This will be my 3rd cruise, my 2nd was on the Mariner, like you. I cannot wait, cruising is the best! I just hope bringing the baby is the right decision! :_)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review. :) Like you, I found reading about other's experiences (especially in regards to babies!) made my planning easier.

On the Freedom, the curtain does NOT extend more than a foot or two. Hopefully this is not too disappointing for you. Having a balcony should help give you your space while your baby is trying to fall asleep. :)

I was very concerned about the stroller issue, especially because so many people discussed it on the family board. THEN I started using some common sense. ;) Wheelchairs and the electric "carts" are used quite a bit on a cruise ship, so why can't a full sized stroller be at least as functional? Well, it CAN and WAS! I was so glad I brought mine!!! Unless your umbrella stroller is one of the really "great" ones (i.e. $100 and up range), then it may not have some of the bells and whistles like reclinging seat, storage capability, cup holder, and GOOD sun visor. Our full sized stroller worked out great just about all the time. IF the Promenade was really crowded, then it took longer to get through the crowds, but you can always go on the outside deck and go around the masses. The only other issue is how compactly your stroller folds. Mine folded quite nicely, and I suspect the Metrolite will be just fine in that area too. I also brought the backpack - would never travel without it because it was sooooo useful! I especially loved it while we were exploring each deck - much less hassle than taking an elevator for each floor. I liked it while in port as well - so many of the streets/beaches are not stroller friendly. Whatever you do, I would say - don't bring both of your strollers... pick one, but two will be overkill and take up too much space.

I admit, I was very nervous about the in-room babysitting. I booked the first night for only a few hours, then popped in to check on them. When they showed up in pairs, that made me feel better. Plus, they try to keep the same team so you can establish that relationship. The women were very friendly, always prompt, and took an interest in my son. I allowed them to take him on walks, but he was sleeping every night but one. They did take him to the AO room and found a stuffed octopus for him. :)

Bringing a baby makes for a different kind of cruise vacation, but it's really a great way to travel as a family. I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

• 4 months later...

Michelle,

You did a fantastic job reporting and the pictures were great. I so agree with everyone, your kids are adorable. I appreciate not only the time you put into the report but your following up on the questions and comments.

DH and I are booked in a Deck 6 PR on FOS April 3, 2011 w/ a group of friends for the W Carib. and your review had a lot of great info. I've been copying and pasting into a doc everytime I find a good tip; got several from you. It's the first time I've read about WJ for dinner - sounded nice.

BYTW, my first cruise was Disney - back in 88 - the first year it started. We won it on a radio contest and my DD was 13 and had the best time. I understand it's changed a bit; I'm hoping to go again some day.

Thanks again!

Jan.

Michelle,

You did a fantastic job reporting and the pictures were great. I so agree with everyone, your kids are adorable. I appreciate not only the time you put into the report but your following up on the questions and comments.

DH and I are booked in a Deck 6 PR on FOS April 3, 2011 w/ a group of friends for the W Carib. and your review had a lot of great info. I've been copying and pasting into a doc everytime I find a good tip; got several from you. It's the first time I've read about WJ for dinner - sounded nice.

BYTW, my first cruise was Disney - back in 88 - the first year it started. We won it on a radio contest and my DD was 13 and had the best time. I understand it's changed a bit; I'm hoping to go again some day.

Thanks again!

Jan.

Thanks for the kind words!!! Writing about my experiences on the Freedom really helped with the post cruise depression by allowing me to "get back on the ship" for just a little longer. ;) I'm glad you could find some info to benefit you and your group. I'd love to hear about your cruise once you return. :D

WOW - that's awesome that you won a Disney cruise!!! I would definitely consider one in the future, if the price was right. :) For now, we're going to Disney in October - first time staying at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom villa (wanted lots of room!). We're very excited! THEN I'll start dreaming about our upcoming Allure cruise... it doesn't seem like it can be here soon enough. ;)

Thanks again for your comments! Michele

We are booked for next summer on the Western itinerary, but I'm really enjoying the review. Our last few cruises have taken us to Labadee and we really miss Coco Cay. Nice to see the photos. SHARK!! Geez...that is scary. Now I will worry about that too!!!

We are booked for next summer on the Western itinerary, but I'm really enjoying the review. Our last few cruises have taken us to Labadee and we really miss Coco Cay. Nice to see the photos. SHARK!! Geez...that is scary. Now I will worry about that too!!!

That shark was awesome! (But only because I was OUT of the water!) Hope you have a great cruise!

Good review and pictures. I am really getting excited about our upcoming cruise.

Thanks! Part of the fun of cruising is the anticipation of it... Have a great one! :)

• 2 months later...

Michelle,

Thanks for putting so much thought into your review! I loved all your pictures and insight from your experience on the Freedom. We are looking at going on the Freedom for Thanksgiving week 2011. My husband's aunt and uncle are celebrating their 25th anniversary and are trying to get a group to go with. We would be taking our daughter who will be 3 at the time of the cruise. It will be nice for her to experience the kid's club and it's nice to know that there is an option for in-cabin babysitting as well. My in-laws will probably go too and I know that having an extra pair of hands is nice, because they went with us on our last cruise, which was our DD's first cruise. She was 15 months at the time. What a fun age for kids to go on a cruise. I know that she would really enjoy the H2O Zone as she loves to swim.

Thanks again!

Beth

Hi Michele! I am just catching your review but I want you to know that I love your positive attitude! We all need that in life no matter what and I have to say that you have it girl! You are going to make it!

I will quote my Mother in Law " I will eat dirt if I dont have to cook it". So I know why you enjoyed your cruise. No cooking, cleaning, entertainment for the kids. What more could a Mommy ask for!

I am looking into May 2011 FOS western. I have one child and he is 11. I think he will have the time of his life.

Thanks again!

Great review. I will be on the Freedom this Dec. 5th, same itinerary. I went on the Liberty this past April and am looking forward to comparing both ships. BTW, you mentioned "lobster night", on the Liberty, my friend and I were at a table for 8 and there were 10 lobsters served. Oh yeah, we were the only 2 at the table, 5 each. Yummy!

• 2 weeks later...
Great review. I will be on the Freedom this Dec. 5th, same itinerary. I went on the Liberty this past April and am looking forward to comparing both ships. BTW, you mentioned "lobster night", on the Liberty, my friend and I were at a table for 8 and there were 10 lobsters served. Oh yeah, we were the only 2 at the table, 5 each. Yummy!

Not a seafood fan but impressed with your eating prowess :D

• 2 months later...

I loved your review - thank you so much for taking the time to do it & post the pictures.

We are planning our first cruise, hopefully in May on the Freedom ! Our kids will be 13 & 19. DD turns 14 while there and I had looked at the website for the decorations & cake. Were the decorations there when you boarded, or did they put them up on her birthday? I liked the idea of delivering the cake to the table.

I was torn between Promenade rooms & basic interior since we're getting two, I am very intrigued by the Promenade ones. Thanks for that extra info.

I loved your review - thank you so much for taking the time to do it & post the pictures.

We are planning our first cruise, hopefully in May on the Freedom ! Our kids will be 13 & 19. DD turns 14 while there and I had looked at the website for the decorations & cake. Were the decorations there when you boarded, or did they put them up on her birthday? I liked the idea of delivering the cake to the table.

I was torn between Promenade rooms & basic interior since we're getting two, I am very intrigued by the Promenade ones. Thanks for that extra info.

Thanks for posting and taking the time to read this, Checkers! :)

The Freedom is a wonderful family ship - I sincerely hope you BOOK YOUR VACATION SOON! :) There are so many options for all different age groups, I really think you're kids would have a great time. Celebrating a birthday on a ship was very special for my daughter - I'm sure your 13 year old would love it too. My DD's decorations were in her stateroom all week - they were there when we boarded. It was a great surprise, and so much fun for all of us.

The Promenade rooms are usually a little more expensive than regular insides, but I think the window makes it worth it. There are two sofas in each PR room as well, which I liked when my kids and I were all together just hanging out in the room (which was rare, honestly). The only negative is that the beds are in the center of the room, as opposed to being at the far wall from the door. Although it didn't bother us in the least, some people find walking around the bed to get to the living area inconvenient. I think it does make the space look smaller, but I did love having the seating area by the window.

If you decide to go on Freedom (or any cruise!), please come back and tell us about your experience. :)

Michele: Please stand up and take a bow!!! Your review was one of the best, if the the best one I have ever read. Thanks so much for sharing!!

I will be looking for your review when you cruise on the Allure.........:)

WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments! I really do appreciate you taking the time to read this. I loved putting it all together as it allowed me to relive my cruise experience. :) Of course, if it helps other people plan their cruise, or just count down the days until their own, then that's great too. :D

You can expect my posts to begin the evening of March 27th! :D Mark the date on your calendar. ;)

Archived