No expectations makes for a great FREEDOM cruise! My Story:

QTMichele

QTMichelle, I am taking my 5 grandkids on Freedom in Dec. I have booked cabins liked you mentioned in one of your threads. Three inside cabins across hall from my wife and my cabin. They are connecting insides. Anyway, I wanted to ask you about Adventure Ocean. Did you sign your kids up on Day one, and did they go everyday or did they skip? Also, to follow up, I understand u can drop kids off on port days, and you can go ashore without the kids; is that correct? Thanks.

QTMichelle, I am taking my 5 grandkids on Freedom in Dec. I have booked cabins liked you mentioned in one of your threads. Three inside cabins across hall from my wife and my cabin. They are connecting insides. Anyway, I wanted to ask you about Adventure Ocean. Did you sign your kids up on Day one, and did they go everyday or did they skip? Also, to follow up, I understand u can drop kids off on port days, and you can go ashore without the kids; is that correct? Thanks.

Lucky grandkids! :)

I would highly recommend you signing the kids up on the first day... we waited until the second day and it wasn't as organized (we signed them up while at Coco Cay). Also, make sure the kids go to either the Open House on the first day, or participate in at least one of the activities on the second day so they can meet other kids right away. Waiting until mid-week makes it more difficult for the kids to feel like they fit in.

My girls (my son was too young) went every day for an hour or two in the morning and/or afternoon, and again in the evening. They enjoyed it, especially my 6 year old at the time. We took them with us when we went ashore, but it is my understanding that you can leave them in the club if you choose. Just remember, they don't have a way to contact you if there is a problem. (Not trying to scare you, just letting you know.)

I'd love to hear about your adventures with your grandkids upon your return. :) Have a great cruise!

Great review, but, man oh man, sharks! Did you happen to glance out and see them or was there someone patrolling the beach and warning people?

We were walking around the island in a pretty secluded area when we saw them (no beach patrol!). It was a pretty cool experience, but a little anxiety provoking as one can never be sure if the sharks are the fish-eating type or the human-biting type! lol

It will be an adventure for us. I don't think Royal Caribbean is aware of my gang of five. Ages will be 2 1/2- 14. We plan on going to open house on Sunday, so they get a feel for the Adventure Ocean. I will have their parents with us; so we won't have to worry about them all the time. My wife and I are taking everyone for a family vacation.

I have a question about the noise factor in the promenade cabins. You may have mentioned that in your review but I haven't gone back to re-read all of the posts. We are thinking about a Freedom cruise next May including some college-aged kids that would book interior cabins. Did you heard noise from the parade, bars, people? Do you mind telling us what deck you were on (seems like you mentioned that early on ... ) Your review and pictures were great and I'm still blown away by the shark! Never again will I be on a beach and fail to scan the horizon.

Just finished reading your review, loved it!

THANKS!

I have a question about the noise factor in the promenade cabins. You may have mentioned that in your review but I haven't gone back to re-read all of the posts. We are thinking about a Freedom cruise next May including some college-aged kids that would book interior cabins. Did you heard noise from the parade, bars, people? Do you mind telling us what deck you were on (seems like you mentioned that early on ... ) Your review and pictures were great and I'm still blown away by the shark! Never again will I be on a beach and fail to scan the horizon.

We were on the 8th deck - no noise whatsoever, except from my kids in the next cabin. If you have a connecting cabin, then you will likely hear the people in the cabin next to yours; however, there was no other noise except for the "thump, thump, boom" during the parades/street parties (these are short lived, but are later - maybe 10:30pm/11:00pm'ish).

As for the shark... no horizon needed to be scanned, the shark in the picture was only a handful of feet away from shore!

• 5 months later...

Just found your review in your siggie and THANK YOU! We are booked for our first RCI cruise on Freedom in March, 2013. Yes, I'm an early planner and even at 17 months out I am trying to learn as much as possible about this ship!

Just found your review in your siggie and THANK YOU! We are booked for our first RCI cruise on Freedom in March, 2013. Yes, I'm an early planner and even at 17 months out I am trying to learn as much as possible about this ship!

Nothing wrong with a little advanced planning! ;) If it makes you feel any better, we booked our Liberty of the Seas Thanksgiving 2012 cruise in March of this year - more than 1.5 years away!

Thanks for checking out my review. It's a little "old," but it's still fun for me to re-live it. :) I have a lot of great memories from that cruise!

Good luck with your cruise planning. :D

We are going with a group of 14 in January on the Freedom of the Seas, and we too are doing the Eastern Caribbean. We were on this same ship for a Western Caribbean cruise in January of '09 and to get ready for the trip I happened accross this site.

Your review was outstanding! After reading all that you did I can't wait for our trip to begin. Thanks for the review and pictures.

Michele,

Your family is adorable!!! Nice review.

I am counting my days to the Freedom.

Thanks for the nice words. :) Have a wonderful cruise on Ms. Freedom!

well, a little more than a month and I will be onboard with my five grandkids; wow can't wait. They can't either.

cheers

You're going to have a GRAND time!!! Not sure how old your grandkids are, but I'm sure the "new" Dreamworks addition will be great for them (and you?!). Have a great time!

We are going with a group of 14 in January on the Freedom of the Seas, and we too are doing the Eastern Caribbean. We were on this same ship for a Western Caribbean cruise in January of '09 and to get ready for the trip I happened accross this site.

Your review was outstanding! After reading all that you did I can't wait for our trip to begin. Thanks for the review and pictures.

Thanks - I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I hope your group has a fantastic cruise. Has everyone in your group cruised before? I'm planning a large family cruise for Thanksgiving 2012 - only my immediate family and one uncle have cruise before - the rest of the 20'ish people have never set foot on anything more than a fishing boat. Should be a GREAT time.

Thanks again for reading! Even though this review is officially "old news," I love that it's been thrust to page 1 again... great memories, and maybe I'll have to go back and re-read it myself. ;)

Thanks for the great review and pictures...makes me excited for our upcoming Voayager cruise!

Oh, Voyager Class is a great ship too!!! The Mariner was my first cruise - she hooked me from the start. :D Thanks for reading! Have a great cruise. :)

Archived