2:30pm flight...ideas?

IMDORY

Our flight leaves at 2:30 pm out of MIA on a Saturday. We are coming off of the Carnival Liberty at POM that morning. As a first time cruiser, I'm not sure what time we would have to be off the ship by-but it seems like we would have to be off by around 9/9:30am? We don't really want to head straight to the airport and spend that much time there. ...It would be me,my husband and 9 year old son.

Any ideas?

I think we will pay the $20 to have our checked bag taken from the ship for us...

If you don't have to worry about bags you have many more options. Take a cab to Miami Beach and enjoy the scenery and have a nice lunch - a cab back to MIA will run $30+ Many on these boards suggest Bayside Market. Miami also has a nice zoo. Finally, your cruise line will offer several local tours and they will keep your bags in the bottom of the bus until they drop you at MIA - saving you the $20 fee for luggage express. Good luck!:)

If you don't have to worry about bags you have many more options. Take a cab to Miami Beach and enjoy the scenery and have a nice lunch - a cab back to MIA will run $30+ Many on these boards suggest Bayside Market. Miami also has a nice zoo. Finally, your cruise line will offer several local tours and they will keep your bags in the bottom of the bus until they drop you at MIA - saving you the $20 fee for luggage express. Good luck!:)

Thanks! Maybe I'll look into what types of tours are offered that way we could store our luggage and see a few sights.

You don't really have that much time. Assuming you disembark at 9:30, it will still be close to 10 by the time to actually clear customs. For a 2:30 flight you have to be at the AP by 12:30 so you really only have 2 1/2 hours. There is a free shuttle from the AP to some mall by the AP. Try that.

Are you staying somewhere precruise??

I just talked to the hotel we are staying at precruise and they will allow us to come back post cruise and hang out by the pool for a few hours. Would not have a room, but would give the 9 yr old something to do while you sat in a lounge chair and relaxed. Depending on the hotel some may have locker rooms with showers. Or they may give you a rate on a room for the day (may not be worth it for 3 hrs)

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral but in the same situation. Our flight doesn't leave until 4:20 from Orlando. We are hoping to take one of the debarkation excursions to Kennedy Space Center. They will also take us to the airport. You might check those and see if anything grabs ya! I usually don't do Cruise Line excursions, but this worked for me.

I checked Carnival's web site and found they had several tours for Miami-they all can only be booked on board the ship. There was one that said it was 3 hours in length and basically takes you over to the South Beach area and then back to MIA. It said that it was for people with flight times after 2:30pm. Hmmm...our flight time IS 2:30pm. I thought I'd check into it on the ship and see if we could do it. If not, I guess we'll check our bag from the ship to home so we won't have to deal with that and maybe go over to the Bayside Market area for a little bit...then taxi to the airport. I hope we can do the tour b/c I've never been to Miami and it would be nice to see a little of it before we leave-and it seems that doing this tour might be the easiest way to do that.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!:)

• 3 months later...

Imdory:

Just read your review of Liberty....The slamming door you heard was the crew door...I have been in the room you were in (different ship, same class). It wasn't guests. I have found that that corner room can be a noisy smelly mess from crew painting stairways inside the ship (crew passageways). I won't book it again for that reason.

Just fyi!

As you all probably know by now, I have a VERY decided opinion of MIA. I'm with you on having your luggage pre-checked for $20 per person. You will save yourself LOADS of aggravation, waiting in line at MIA to check luggage, so good move there.

Depending on your airline, you could be in for quite a trek once you get to the airport, it's not the kind of place where 1 hour before leaving is enough time. And really, what would you be doing for two hours between leaving the ship and checking in at the airport? Not enough time for beach or zoo.

I recommend staying on the ship for as long as possible, and just head directly from the ship to the airport.

2:30 is an awkward time, that's for sure.

We did the Kennedy Space Center Tour and were at the airport right in time. I am thinking of the Miami Sightsseeing tour, too for our next cruise. We are leaving Miami at 2.15 pm, so I hope that we can book that. I will talk to the people at the excursion desk if it will be possible to book this tour.

On the Kennedy Space Center tour the luggage was kept in the coach.

Thanks! Maybe I'll look into what types of tours are offered that way we could store our luggage and see a few sights.

If you use the luggage valet, you don't have to worry about your bags. They will be taken off the ship right to the airport and you won't see them again until you get home. I just did this in Miami 2 weeks ago and was the best $20 I spent.

Also you could just go to the airport when you leave the ship and try to get an earlier flight. My son and DIL had a 7pm flight and were able to get on a 1pm flight for $50/pp.

When you book a post-cruise tour through the ship that includes an airport transfer, what happens to your bags?

They are stored under the bus in the luggage section - you get them when they drop you off at the airport. Good luck!:)

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral but in the same situation. Our flight doesn't leave until 4:20 from Orlando. We are hoping to take one of the debarkation excursions to Kennedy Space Center. They will also take us to the airport. You might check those and see if anything grabs ya! I usually don't do Cruise Line excursions, but this worked for me.

KSC is a fascinating place to visit, well worth the admission price, but be warned...if you're a space junkie like us, you'll need an entire day to see and do everything! :D

Archived