Really stupid scissors question

I've had three pair of scissors confiscated from my first aid kit which was in my carry-on. I started several years ago putting them in the outside zippered part of my checked bag...no problem. I have to have them because we lock our luggage with cable ties and I need them to cut off the ties.

On our Thanksgiving cruise while packing the last night, I discovered the zipper was broken. We had to use the scissors to punch holes in the top and bottom of the bag so we could thread cable ties through...LOL...we called it our redneck suitcase! Nevertheless...the scissors were very handy!

I think they have eased up on the scissors rule, but check the TSA site to confirm.

I opened my scissors up and stuck them in with my jewelry roll along with necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. and they went through with my carry-on just fine.

I still haven't heard a good reason on why RCL won't allow them. If you are in a hurry to do some evil and haven't stolen a steak knife from the Windjammer or dining room, just break a wine bottle and go for the throat.

Tucker in Texas

I opened my scissors up and stuck them in with my jewelry roll along with necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. and they went through with my carry-on just fine.

I still haven't heard a good reason on why RCL won't allow them. If you are in a hurry to do some evil and haven't stolen a steak knife from the Windjammer or dining room, just break a wine bottle and go for the throat.

Tucker in Texas

They have thought of that;) Why do you think they don't allow you to bring drinks on board?

All of the new, crazy rules (such as the new "deadly scissors" rule) and reduction of rewards and benefits for past passengers is one of the reasons we have chosen to sail Royal Caribbean far less now than in the past. With all the increased passenger capacity coming in the future, you would think they would be bending over backwards to keep passengers returning. Instead, they hike prices, delete member benefits, and enact crazy rules. Makes no sense to me. But then, I guess that's why I am not a cruiseline executive.

I always take in my checked luggage a small pair of mustache grooming scissors and a small Leatherman. Never had an issue or problem with either going security. I don’t know why I take the Leatherman. I’ve never used it.

We had a leatherman taken from our carry on the FOS. We now don't take one. Not worth it.

Guess it's a good thing I didn't bring any crochet or cross stitch to relax on the balcony with on my cruise a couple of weeks ago... I'd have to gnaw my way through the yarn and thread... *phooey* :rolleyes:

My sister made exactly this "foolish" plan on our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise last year. RCI confiscated the scissors in her checked luggage when we embarked in Honolulu and she was called to the 'naughty room' to retrieve her luggage.

Oh please! Hobby scissors???? I will admit that I always carry my backup cutter...aka the dental floss container. My dentist gives these "samples" that are maybe the size of two quarters stacked on top of each other. I have never seen a regulation that says that I can't carry that anywhere and it will cut floss and yarn, except for bulky weight yarns. It will also cut small gauge wires, wire insulation etc to cause damage to electronics in planes and ships.

It's like regulating knitting needles but not pens and pencils. If you are concerned about stabbing, don't allow ball point pens. I saw the movie Red Eye and after that...I realize that the ball point pen can really cause an injury.

I always say that every passenger is safer with me and my knitting. Not only will *I* not freak out and have a panic attack worrying if someone else is carrying a bad thing, but if there's a bad guy, we have a weapon too. Trust me...the bad guy isn't going to use kids scissors or knitting needles to attack us...he'll have a better, weapon. I'm barely keeping up with my weapons.

When we were in line at the port to get on the ship, the lady was yelling to the lines random things that were not allowed that we should "take back" (to our cars). One thing she yelled was scissors but she did say "except manicure scissors." I gave Josh the "Oh S" look because I had a pair of elementary school children scissors in my make up bag that was in the bottom of my carry on. They did not detect them. And I did need them (for cutting off tags from new clothes and for cutting my random bangs that were missed at my last hair cut, lol)... I also have a small glass nail file, but I am thinking that that is okay.

Thanks for asking this question. Not that I would be ignoring the rules on purpose but I also use flector pain patches and need scissors to cut them. I think if I were to use a steak knife to cut them I would be missing one of the fingers I would be putting those patches on lol.

Oh please! Hobby scissors???? I will admit that I always carry my backup cutter...aka the dental floss container.

That's a great idea! I can't quite figure out how I can use it to cut my toenails on my upcoming 28-day cruise! :D

She's talking about the ship, not the airport.

I had my Scissors taken from me when I was boarding the Grandeur of the Seas in Tampa. They were in my carry -on; I usually take them to trim my mustache. They had about 4" blades and I was told I could pick them up at the security area after my cruise .Once I boarded we were given 6" steak knives to eat lunch( GO FIGURE:confused: ) didn,t bother to pick them up after cruise!:D

Strange that RCCL adopted a complete scissors ban. Even TSA rules allow blunt tipped scissors or pointed scissors with blades less than four inches in length as carry on items.

Sometimes we question the sanity of their rule makers and enforcers.

Just a post script to this thread. The following is an e mail I sent to RCCL concerning the scissors policy. Yesterday I received a phone call advising me that management had just changed the policy and that scissors with blades of less than four inches, either pointed or blunt, could be brought onboard RCCL ships. It may take a few days before the revision will be made to the prohibited items list on their website.

To enlarge the letter you can enter control + on your keyboard. Control - to reduce.

Dear Sir,

There has recently been a thread on the Cruise Critic website about scissors being confiscated by RCCL. That concerns me because one of my wife's cruising pleasures is sitting on the balcony and crocheting.

Obviously, scissors are needed for this and many other similar crafts. Needlepoint, cross stitching, knitting, and scrap booking to name a few. They are needed if you need to replace a button or make other clothing repairs and necessary for mustache trimming and other grooming tasks. Many travelers use plastic zip ties to secure luggage zippers and need scissors to cut the ties.

Yet someone at RCCL decided not to allow any scissors on board your ships. This policy might be more understandable if we were given plastic knives and forks in the dining room and Windjammer. But that is not the case. Rather formidable steak knives and metal forks are easily accessible on board a ship while scissors needed for hobbies and grooming are being confiscated.

Incidentally, TSA allows scissors to be brought on board an aircraft. In carry on luggage, pointed scissors with blades not exceeding four inches are allowed and any scissors having a blunt tip are allowed. This certainly sounds like a more sensible approach than a total prohibition.

Our next cruise is on the Liberty of the Seas March 21, 2010, we hope, by that time, you will have had this policy reviewed and that a more sensible solution than an outright ban will be instituted.

Thank You

How ridiculous! Maybe, there are some of us who'd like to have clothes without wrinkles & NOT pay them to take them out! Small shears are always a must as I'm a hairdresser & snip here & there on my hair or my husband's OR an irritating tag! Don't "they" know we can confiscate one their knives and that we have curling/straightening IRONS for our hair??? Hmmm? What's the point?:eek:

Just a post script to this thread. The following is an e mail I sent to RCCL concerning the scissors policy. Yesterday I received a phone call advising me that management had just changed the policy and that scissors with blades of less than four inches, either pointed or blunt, could be brought onboard RCCL ships. It may take a few days before the revision will be made to the prohibited items list on their website.

Thank you for such a well written letter. And hopefully RCCL really does update their policy. I always find it amazing where Knitting needles are allowed on airplains but not small pocket knives. You can put an eye out (amongst other things) with those killer knitting needles.

Security I thing is more of a concept thena reality in alot of these cases. Not to mention TSA's 'power' they give to people I wouldn't trust to dogsit for me.

Here's to more common sense.

Erika

Thank you for such a well written letter. And hopefully RCCL really does update their policy. I always find it amazing where knitting needles are allowed on airplanes but not small pocket knives. You can put an eye out (amongst other things) with those killer knitting needles.

Security I thing is more of a concept than a reality in a lot of these cases. Not to mention TSA's 'power' they give to people I wouldn't trust to dogsit for me.

Here's to more common sense.

Erika

We certainly agree with your observation that quite often security is more of a concept than a reality.

It is certainly driven by factors other than security. For example, in August of 2007 the ban on cigarette lighters was lifted. Did they no longer pose a danger onboard aircraft? Perhaps, but in 2006 TSA confiscated 11.6 million lighters and spent 4 million dollars of tax payer's monies disposing of the lighters plus the airport storage of these incendiary devises created serious safety issues. We suspect those facts played a prominent role in their decision.

The cruise line has banned clothes irons and we don't really have a problem with that. But we'd give pretty good odds that more ship board fires have been stared with cigarettes than irons. However, not many passengers would jump to another cruise line over the prohibition of irons while cigarette users would quickly disappear in a puff of smoke.

So, while the TSA and cruise lines are making an attempt to keep us safe, cost, acceptance, inconvenience, profittability and several other factors are involved in the equasion of what they can mandate.

Archived