Security Screening and Prohibited Items Policy

MargaritaPlease

Folks, PLEASE! A thief can open any piece of locked luggage in under 2 seconds, and will surely damage the luggage in the process. You carry your valuables in your carry-on, NOT in checked bags.

50 cruises and around 2000,or more, flights all over the world. Every cruise and every flight I check luggage. NEVER LOCKED! I have TSA locks on all my zippers[luggage zippers:p], I use them for pull handles. Have no idea where the keys have gone to. Total losses in 50 years of travel? $0.00.

I agree and we don't lock our bags but do use a twist tie to help keep the zippers closed.

Some people have a false sense of security with locking their luggage - but it makes them happy!:D

just my $.02...

if this is truly a security concern then carnival should be fine with tsa locks and should provide evidence to guests that it would be tsa agents examining any bag opened.

should a bag be opened and examined a notice of inspection should be placed inside the bag by a tsa agent as is required on the airlines.

amen!!!!!

Just my $.02...

If this is truly a security concern then Carnival should be fine with TSA locks and should provide evidence to guests that it would be TSA agents examining any bag opened.

Should a bag be opened and examined a Notice of Inspection should be placed inside the bag by a TSA agent as is required on the airlines.

Is TSA actually screening the luggage? I didn't think their authority extended to cruise ships.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as a "third world grunt". The porters perhaps? Who are all US citizens, fully screened by Homeland Security, and union members? Or Carnival's employees, who you trust to clean your room during your cruise?

You assume I only cruise from US ports. Which I do not

Why do you assume you have civil liberties? Carnival ships are private property and you abide by their rules while inside their confines when in international waters. You also surrender certain rights when you hand over your luggage. Why you think you have a reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to any means of transportation in a post Patriot Act/9-11 world is beyond me. Have you not been paying attention to the world for the past ten years?

This would be the further erosion of what Civil Liberties I have remaining. I see no reason to promote it further.

So stay home. Don't get on their ships. :rolleyes:

Carnival needs to realize that I don't NEED to stay home instead of choosing them. If they were trying to protect me, I can understand it. To do it "just because they can" doesn't fly.

Stand for something or fall for anything. It's a choice...

I gather YOU don't trust the porters either, then. :-)

I see this as a "control" thing. Soon they'll have cattle-prods.

Distrust in your world perhaps. Its called Common Sense, in my world.

Cattle prods are reversible!:rolleyes:

Folks, PLEASE! A thief can open any piece of locked luggage in under 2 seconds, and will surely damage the luggage in the process. You carry your valuables in your carry-on, NOT in checked bags.

50 cruises and around 2000,or more, flights all over the world. Every cruise and every flight I check luggage. NEVER LOCKED! I have TSA locks on all my zippers[luggage zippers:p], I use them for pull handles. Have no idea where the keys have gone to. Total losses in 50 years of travel? $0.00.

I agree.... seems like everyone is just getting placed in a PANIC MODE over this topic......Do you people honestly think that if you have not locked your luggage in the past you are even more suceptible to being robbed from your suitcase now than in the past ? Ridiculous ! :eek:

Y'all think what you like, but I honestly believe it also has alot to do with the booze smuggling that has been so widely voiced and probably observed by the cruiselines.

Great, but since the majority of Carnival's ships do, I'm not sure what your point is.

This would be the further erosion of what Civil Liberties I have remaining. I see no reason to promote it further.

These particular civil liberties have been eroded for almost a decade, my friend. Not sure why you're getting so upset about it now. Does it suck, yeah, but welcome to the Post 9-11 world.

Carnival needs to realize that I don't NEED to stay home instead of choosing them. If they were trying to protect me, I can understand it. To do it "just because they can" doesn't fly.

Then tell them with your wallet and don't cruise their line -- or better yet, write to their board of directors. Believe it or not, they're obligated to answer. Jesus, it's not that hard a concept.

So do it. Actions speak louder than words. Are you gonna talk big on a message board? Or are you going to act?

Ok, Mach - you asked for it... :p:D

• .....................Even the TSA lets you lock bags as long as the TSA approved locks are used........... quote]

The few times we have flown from LAX and ONT they want your luggage to be UNLOCKED.

Mybe it changes with the level in security?

At sea, the laws of your country, do not apply on ANY SHIP. Cruise ship, Cargo ship, Tanker, Container, Car carrier, Scow. Maritime law applies. If a Navy ship, any Navy. The rules/laws of that Navy apply, and Maritime law

And while I'm against booze smuggling, I believe that since ships leave from PORTS, here in the USA, Homeland Security in in charge of screening, NOT Carnival. Carnival may be taking advantage of the situation, but other cruiselines are much more strict on booze smuggling than Carnival. See NCL.

Remember ALL cruise lines say you must have an acceptable ID or Passport to BOARD the ship. ABSOLUTELY not true, but you must have one to get off the ship in the US. That's why cruiselines say you must have one to board. They don't want you as a lifetime cruiser.

Just an example of the fact that everything they tell you is not 100% accurate.

Great, but since the majority of Carnival's ships do, I'm not sure what your point is.

One can board a Carnival ship in any port it visits.

These particular civil liberties have been eroded for almost a decade, my friend. Not sure why you're getting so upset about it now. Does it suck, yeah, but welcome to the Post 9-11 world.

I'm not getting upset I'm just stating my point of view. No inflection here.

Then tell them with your wallet and don't cruise their line -- or better yet, write to their board of directors. Believe it or not, they're obligated to answer. Jesus, it's not that hard a concept.

I honestly believe they are already aware.

Are you gonna talk big on a message board?

et Tu Brute?

I do not smuggle anything in my suitcase, and I have no problem having my luggage being delayed if they want me to come and open it in front of someone.

I also realize that luggage locks are usually not a problem for a thief, but everything in my suitcase is valuable to me, and I don't want anything stolen!

My lock also lets me know if someone has been in my suitcase.

I will not be removing my locks, I will however be taking 6 carry on size suitcases onboard myself! Won't that slow down the embarkation process!!:eek:

At sea, the laws of your country, do not apply on ANY SHIP. Cruise ship, Cargo ship, Tanker, Container, Car carrier, Scow. Maritime law applies. If a Navy ship, any Navy. The rules/laws of that Navy apply.

And while I'm against booze smuggling, I believe that since ships leave from PORTS, here in the USA, Homeland Security in in charge of screening, NOT Carnival.

Remember ALL cruise lines say you must have an acceptable ID or Passport to BOARD the ship. ABSOLUTELY not true, but you must have one to get off the ship in the US. That's why cruiselines say you must have one to board. They don't want you as a lifetime cruiser.

But Dan, I am not AT SEA when they search my luggage (if I am sailing from a US port).

For the record, I don't smuggle anything.

Totally disagree on this one and you have been lucky. The DW is a flight attendant with a major airline for well over twenty years and had to start locking her flight bag due to thefts aboard the very flights she is working with her bag in stowed in the overhead. It takes guts to stand up in front of a plane with over 150 passengers on it and steal something out of bag but only a few seconds of time.

I agree with the others thefts are usually crimes of opportunity. So by simply putting a lock on a bag makes it less attractive to the perpetrator.

By the way losses after the lock was put on the bag $0.00.

But Dan, I am not AT SEA when they search my luggage (if I am sailing from a US port).

For the record, I don't smuggle anything.

"And while I'm against booze smuggling, I believe that since ships leave from PORTS, here in the USA, Homeland Security is in charge of screening, NOT Carnival."

John asked me to forward some of the perceived negatives to him and I've added several from this thread.

If folks have additional concerns please feel free to add them here. I'll be glad to send along any new concerns.

If carnival will assume responsibility for my luggage and its contents I will have no problem leaving it unlocked. This also includes putting the luggage in my cabin and not leaving it in the hall. i really can't believe this is a security issue as the other cruiselines don't seem to be making the same request.

If carnival will assume responsibility for my luggage and its contents I will have no problem leaving it unlocked. This also includes putting the luggage in my cabin and not leaving it in the hall. i really can't believe this is a security issue as the other cruiselines don't seem to be making the same request.

Thats what I am thinking.....now more opportunity to catch booze smugglers ???

One of my suitcases contains my scuba gear. I will not take a chance of anyone messing with that or stealing it and will not leave it unlocked. Can you say expensive? Same with my regular suitcase, there are some very nice, new clothes in there that I bought specifically for my cruises. I keep my jewelry, dive computer, laptop, and cameras with me, but that doesn't mean there is nothing of value in my suitcase. Of course there is! I am willing to leave the locks off, but those bags will be tightly cable tied.

I'm not worried about someone putting something in my bags, it's the removal that concerns me.

If they wanted to crack down on booze it wouldn't matter if there was a lock or not.........

I dont care what you say... this is just a wolf in sheeps clothing and an attempt for CCL to crack down on the smuggling that so many boast about here. Dont ya think CCL reads these boards and is also noticing something in liquor revenue decline ?

"And while I'm against booze smuggling, I believe that since ships leave from PORTS, here in the USA, Homeland Security is in charge of screening, NOT Carnival."

I didn't think that there was any US government agency actually responsible for screening luggage going on cruise ships. Not the TSA, not Homeland Security.

Now, when you come back into the country, that's when Homeland Security would be involved.

Anyone know for sure? I couldn't find any reference to screening for cruise ships on either site.

Archived