Security Screening and Prohibited Items Policy

MargaritaPlease

Then they would have keys to my TSA locks, no?

There have been a myriad of reports of inspection reports placed in luggage by HSA after airport screening. WITH THE TSA LOCKS CUT WITH A BOLT CUTTER. They are Govt employees and can't be bothered with no steeking keys.:rolleyes:

One can board a Carnival ship in any port it visits.

Not necessarily. You cannot randomly get on a ship in Nassua just because you feel like it. And someone's still going to screen your luggage.

I'm not getting upset I'm just stating my point of view. No inflection here.

I get that, it just seems a little "after the fact" if you will.

I honestly believe they are already aware.

Well, then *make* them care. Don't you think a landslide of pissed off correspondence and a drop in deposits will say more than internet posts?

et Tu Brute?

It doesn't effect me as I don't lock my bags to begin with and gave up on a reasonable expectation of privacy when I found out all the port workers in every port I travel out of are TWIC certified, meaning they've been screened by TSA. This is common-place, dude. Like I said, once a month my messenger bag gets tossed by the NYPD before I can even get on the subway.

I have never commented about anything on this board except about meeting with my fellow cruisers.

To Carnival:

This whole idea of having your bags unlocked just doesn't make any sense to me! It's like there is some newbie exec who thought he had a great idea on paper just implemented it. You would think they would have notified the CDs and prepared their PVP's for this change of policy that is different than every other cruise line. Not to mention their customers...by sending out an explanation of why they thought this policy was important and would increase the security of ships.

Do the airlines ask you to unlock your bags before you hand them over to the baggage handlers? Do hotels ask you to leave them unlocked when you leave them outside your room for a bag pull for tours? Do trains or buses ask the same? And what about all the other cruise companies? What about Carnival Corp's other lines? How do you think this would be received by the Cunard, Princess or Holland cruisers? Or is this just for Carnival ships? Do they feel they present a higher level of security risks?

I have been cruising since 1984 (26 cruises) and I used regular locks most of the time until the TSA required special ones. I got TSA locks about 3 years ago and the locks do give me a sense of security, admittedly maybe false. It's like do you lock your house, car, etc....just common sense to eliminate the easy opportunity for a thief. We have all seen or read that security expects advise us to reduce the number of opportunities for criminal activities, knowing you can't eliminate all.

I don't put valubles in my check in bags (except maybe my shoes), but do have things I want for my cruise. I am not as much worried about Carnival employees or even the dock workers loading as the fact that the bags sit outside of your cabin where kids or an opportunistic thief might just have the chance to easily get into a number of bags quickly. Although unlocked bags may also movtivate the employees to take something quickly that the locked bag discourages.

The other issue is as others have pointed out that someone could put easily something in your bag--again opportunistic crime.

If Carnival has security concerns with baggage, they need to check them before they are handed over. I realize this will cause delays in boarding, as it has in the airline industry. But please don't ask passengers to unlock their bags.

If it all really is about hidden liquor...the problems you are creating to catch a few people will be far more costly by the complaints from people about stolen items. Either real or made up. Again can you see people cruising on the Queen Mary complying with this demand?

I love my Carnival cruises--going on 11. I just ask that your management look at this unreasonable rule and reconsider.

One of my suitcases contains my scuba gear. I will not take a chance of anyone messing with that or stealing it and will not leave it unlocked. Can you say expensive? Same with my regular suitcase, there are some very nice, new clothes in there that I bought specifically for my cruises. I keep my jewelry, dive computer, laptop, and cameras with me, but that doesn't mean there is nothing of value in my suitcase. Of course there is! I am willing to leave the locks off, but those bags will be tightly cable tied.

I'm not worried about someone putting something in my bags, it's the removal that concerns me.

Did you know Carnival's liability doesn't exceed $50 per bag?

I guess you can't carry everything on board! :rolleyes:

I dont care what you say... this is just a wolf in sheeps clothing and an attempt for CCL to crack down on the smuggling that so many boast about here. Dont ya think CCL reads these boards and is also noticing something in liquor revenue decline ?

I don't care if you care:p Other cruiselines crack down on the smuggling and you can still use locks;)

I dont care what you say... this is just a wolf in sheeps clothing and an attempt for CCL to crack down on the smuggling that so many boast about here. Dont ya think CCL reads these boards and is also noticing something in liquor revenue decline ?

How can they possibly develop a plan and accomplish a task such as that when they can't even figure out a plan or communication to address the ongoing propulsion problems with one of their ships? Rhetorical question.

I have never commented about anything on this board except about meeting with my fellow cruisers.

To Carnival:

This whole idea of having your bags unlocked just doesn't make any sense to me! It's like there is some newbie exec who thought he had a great idea on paper just implemented it. You would think they would have notified the CDs and prepared their PVP's for this change of policy that is different than every other cruise line. Not to mention their customers...by sending out an explanation of why they thought this policy was important and would increase the security of ships.

Do the airlines ask you to unlock your bags before you hand them over to the baggage handlers? Do hotels ask you to leave them unlocked when you leave them outside your room for a bag pull for tours? Do trains or buses ask the same? And what about all the other cruise companies? What about Carnival Corp's other lines? How do you think this would be received by the Cunard, Princess or Holland cruisers? Or is this just for Carnival ships? Do they feel they present a higher level of security risks?

I have been cruising since 1984 (26 cruises) and I used regular locks most of the time until the TSA required special ones. I got TSA locks about 3 years ago and the locks do give me a sense of security, admittedly maybe false. It's like do you lock your house, car, etc....just common sense to eliminate the easy opportunity for a thief. We have all seen or read that security expects advise us to reduce the number of opportunities for criminal activities, knowing you can't eliminate all.

I don't put valubles in my check in bags (except maybe my shoes), but do have things I want for my cruise. I am not as much worried about Carnival employees or even the dock workers loading as the fact that the bags sit outside of your cabin where kids or an opportunistic thief might just have the chance to easily get into a number of bags quickly. Although unlocked bags may also movtivate the employees to take something quickly that the locked bag discourages.

The other issue is as others have pointed out that someone could put easily something in your bag--again opportunistic crime.

If Carnival has security concerns with baggage, they need to check them before they are handed over. I realize this will cause delays in boarding, as it has in the airline industry. But please don't ask passengers to unlock their bags.

If it all really is about hidden liquor...the problems you are creating to catch a few people will be far more costly by the complaints from people about stolen items. Either real or made up. Again can you see people cruising on the Queen Mary complying with this demand?

I love my Carnival cruises--going on 11. I just ask that your management look at this unreasonable rule and reconsider.

This is very well written, now to get someone at Carnival who matters to read it...

To Carnival:

Thank you. This is my feelings as well. I would like to mention on another thread on this same topic, someone mentioned actually witnessing some teens riffling through peoples luggage outside of the rooms. I'm more concerned with locking my bags for the wait outside my cabin than handing them over to porters!

What is your opinion of Carnival's request that you not lock your checked baggage when boarding?

1. No problem, Mon, I have nothing to hide.

2. No way! They will get my luggage when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

3. I don't mind as long as they remain liable for missing/ damaged items.

(uh, I don't know how to do this...)

While I understand people's concerns about unlocked luggage being rooted through, it's been quite a while since I've locked my bags to fly. More often than not, my home airport will rifle through each bag...which is why I now carry wrinkle release ;) I was planning on following the same principles that I do to fly to board the ship...

Meaning, all my valuables (like jewelry) go with me in my carry-on. This includes my camera. I also plan on carrying on my medications. If someone wants to steal a pair of shoes or a dress from my luggage, then fine. But that's about the most expensive thing they'll find, and those things are replaceable.

...though I think I would want to lock Scuba gear. In that case, I understand that equipment isn't carry-on material.

Okay, different perspective here.

Its silly to think that a crook coulnd't get into you suitcase if they really wanted to, especially when its not in your possession for a long period of time, however, it is true that you should't valuable things in luggage that will be out of your possession for long periods of time.

That being said:

I simply can not carry all of my clothes in my carry on bag and believe it or not my clothes are valuable to me and frankly could be to a thief. If clothes weren't valuable then why would Walmart through out old season clothes in their dumpster and cut them to shreds so they couldn't be resold by dumpster divers?

On a more personal note. I would really hate for my clothes to go missing, or get damaged, and yes this may be very superficial, but frankly I'm a big girl and big girl clothes don't come cheap and there isn't much of a way to replace them out in the middle of the ocean or at a port. So, yes, my in-valuables are valuable to me.

And yes, I will be splitting up my clothes between my suitcase and my moms and yes I will have a couple of sets of clothes in my carry on for safety, still doesn't replace probably over $400 worth of Lane Bryant clothes in my suitcase if something happens to them, which someone should be responsible for (PS-I do have travel insurance). And yes, $400 for a suitcase worth of Lane Bryant clothes is actually probably on the low side........big girls would know.

And yes, I do worry about losing luggage and not having any fat girl stores to shop at all the time. Don't hate though, its a reasonable worry, Weight Watchers don't work that fast ppls :D.

Did you know Carnival's liability doesn't exceed $50 per bag?

I guess you can't carry everything on board! :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm well aware of that, which is why my bags will remain locked or securely closed and I carry insurance. If it came to it, I could carry on my scuba gear to the ship, but I wouldn't be happy having to do it.

Quick question:

When I google "baggage handler theft" I see the proliferation here in the States.

My question is: "Are cruiseship porters more or less honorable than the ones TSA advises us to lock our luggage to discourage?"

Rhetorical...

Will the Rum Runners be identified in this check?

A better question would be: If they're missing, were they confiscated or stolen?

I mean, do you ask onboard if your smuggled booze was confiscated?

Talk about a dilemma...

Its silly to think that a crook coulnd't get into you suitcase if they really wanted to, especially when its not in your possession for a long period of time, however, it is true that you should't valuable things in luggage that will be out of your possession for long periods of time.

That being said:

I simply can not carry all of my clothes in my carry on bag and believe it or not my clothes are valuable to me and frankly could be to a thief. If clothes weren't valuable then why would Walmart through out old season clothes in their dumpster and cut them to shreds so they couldn't be resold by dumpster divers?

On a more personal note. I would really hate for my clothes to go missing, or get damaged, and yes this may be very superficial, but frankly I'm a big girl and big girl clothes don't come cheap and there isn't much of a way to replace them out in the middle of the ocean or at a port. So, yes, my in-valuables are valuable to me.

And yes, I will be splitting up my clothes between my suitcase and my moms and yes I will have a couple of sets of clothes in my carry on for safety, still doesn't replace probably over $400 worth of Lane Bryant clothes in my suitcase if something happens to them, which someone should be responsible for (PS-I do have travel insurance). And yes, $400 for a suitcase worth of Lane Bryant clothes is actually probably on the low side........big girls would know.

And yes, I do worry about losing luggage and not having any fat girl stores to shop at all the time. Don't hate though, its a reasonable worry, Weight Watchers don't work that fast ppls :D.

I guess I just don't worry about someone stealing my 56 Long tux or my 22 inch neck shirts with the 37 inch sleeves [which are very expensive] or my badly stretched out Speedo "bathing suit!":D:D:D

I guess I just don't worry about someone stealing my 56 Long tux or my 22 inch neck shirts with the 37 inch sleeves [which are very expensive] or my badly stretched out Speedo "bathing suit!":D:D:D

We must shop at the same store!! ;-P

That being said:

:DI know exactly what you mean. It's hard to find clothes that fit, and look good. Especially bathing suits for me!

Whoa! Didn't mean to start this mess! :rolleyes:

My two cents... I think they're mostly trying to dissuade alcohol smuggling. In a down economy, every penny counts and you KNOW they lose money if you're not using the bar. I use cable ties. They need in, they can cut them and I'll know when they did.

I will NOT have some third-world grunt pawing through my wife and my luggage.

Wow, that's pretty elitist and harsh!

If clothes weren't valuable then why would Walmart through[sIC] out old season clothes in their dumpster and cut them to shreds so they couldn't be resold by dumpster divers?

Wait... Your making the argument that because last season's clothes are valuable, Walmart shreds them? :confused: Remind me not to consult you on my next business plan!

And yes, $400 for a suitcase worth of Lane Bryant clothes is actually probably on the low side........big girls would know.

Your gonna be OK. Folks breaking into suitcases want stuff they can conceal and then sell quick - think jewelry, cameras, electronics. They're not gonna be interested in your big girls' clothes. Well... Not for their resale value anyway. ;)

Archived