Security Screening and Prohibited Items Policy

MargaritaPlease

I think this is a substantial change, and one that seemingly was rolled out without much advance notice.

I travel a fair amount for work, and in general, I don't lock my suitcases. But I also don't give them to curbside porters at the airport, after some experiences in the past. I take my luggage directly to the airline checkin counter and place it in their hands. I know the airlines have limited liability as well, but at least I minimize my risk.

On a cruise, you've got both the dockside porters to worry about as well as the passers-by in the hallway who may take an opportunity to rifle through your luggage on embarkation day or the night before debarkation.

More potential thieves, more opportunities. I don't think most cruise passengers pay two grand to come on a cruise and find things to steal; nor do I think most kids or teenagers are going around stealing things. Still, it only takes one or two, and even if MOST luggage is untouched, that's cold comfort to the person who suffers a loss!!

Interesting dilemma, and I'm curious to see John Heald's response(s) over on his blog. I do think I will be, at the very least, putting cable ties on our luggage.

I know the airlines have limited liability as well, but at least I minimize my risk.

Looking at Delta's Contract of Carriage,

"Actual value for reimbursement of lost or damaged property shall be

determined by the documented original purchase price less any applicable depreciation for prior usage.

Under no circumstances shall the liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in the delivery of baggage exceed

$3,300 per fare-paying passenger unless the passenger elects to declare a higher value in advance and

pay for excess valuation as provided below."

Hmmm... $3300 vs $50???

I think the $3,300 is standard and think it was legislated.

Maybe the cruise lines need some regulation?

What kind of security checks does the union do on the porters? They could not only steal, but they could also plant something. Port security not being perfect, they could plant a whole bunch of somethings and one or more are bound to get through.

Yes, it is easy to open most zipper cases, but there are ways to make it harder.

Just my $.02...

If this is truly a security concern then Carnival should be fine with TSA locks and should provide evidence to guests that it would be TSA agents examining any bag opened.

Should a bag be opened and examined a Notice of Inspection should be placed inside the bag by a TSA agent as is required on the airlines.

I agree with you 100%. Everytime we have cruised we use the TSA locks on our bags and I feel that I will not give my bags to a proter (who does not work for Carnival) without a TSA lock on it. Thanks for you help!

I think this is a substantial change, and one that seemingly was rolled out without much advance notice.

I travel a fair amount for work, and in general, I don't lock my suitcases. But I also don't give them to curbside porters at the airport, after some experiences in the past. I take my luggage directly to the airline checkin counter and place it in their hands. I know the airlines have limited liability as well, but at least I minimize my risk.

On a cruise, you've got both the dockside porters to worry about as well as the passers-by in the hallway who may take an opportunity to rifle through your luggage on embarkation day or the night before debarkation.

More potential thieves, more opportunities. I don't think most cruise passengers pay two grand to come on a cruise and find things to steal; nor do I think most kids or teenagers are going around stealing things. Still, it only takes one or two, and even if MOST luggage is untouched, that's cold comfort to the person who suffers a loss!!

Interesting dilemma, and I'm curious to see John Heald's response(s) over on his blog. I do think I will be, at the very least, putting cable ties on our luggage.

I think there's a fair possibility that we won't see anything on this today. John and I have been exchanging emails about this topic and he just told me he needs more time to get to the bottom issue...

:)

Who do I report missing or stolen item to. My insurance company wants a police report when making a claim. Keep in mind that you will proably have left the pier, when missing or stolen item is noiticed.

The luggage is not scanned by any government agency. It is done by private companies. Think lowest bidder. They don't have the mickey mouse tsa keys.

The cruise lines define their own security policies, based on some industry guidelines. The Coast Guard (part of Homeland Security) is supposed to review and approve the plans.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say Carnival IS using this as an excuse to stop the liquor smuggling... Didn't everyone who bragged about smuggling and ignored the rules regarding this topic that are in every cruise contract bring this upon all of us? It's okay for the cruisers to ignore the legal contract they agreed to when they signed up to cruise with Carnival and infringe on CCL's rights, but if CCL attempts to protect their interests, the boards go into an uproar. Great example of how a few rule breakers make life difficult for everyone else.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The luggage is not scanned by any government agency. It is done by private companies. Think lowest bidder. They don't have the mickey mouse tsa keys.

The cruise lines define their own security policies, based on some industry guidelines. The Coast Guard (part of Homeland Security) is supposed to review and approve the plans.

Even more reason why I want my luggage locked seeing as how the lowest bidder is taking it off to scan.

If they see a security threat, then call the proper authorities in. Get the bomb squad and homeland security in there to investigate.

If they see something they think is prohibited, then call me to open it for search. Leaving the bag unlocked lets them take whatever the person searching determines to be prohibited. Since we all know Carnival is almost never consistent with this stuff a whole lot of things could go missing from luggage.

Anyone see the thread about the scissors and the extension cords being confiscated? What happens when they decide my contact lens solution might be alcohol? Someone here a few days ago said that was how they smuggle it. The more I think about this whole idea, the more uncomfortable I am with it. I don't smuggle or bring prohibited items but that wouldn't stop an overzealous security agent who could just go through any bag they wanted since they are unlocked.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but after working in a hotel during my college days I know theft is a lot more common that we all want to think. And it's the unlocked easy targets that most often are hit. The "lowest bidder" security types are also usually on a power trip and like to show what they can get away with.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say Carnival IS using this as an excuse to stop the liquor smuggling... Didn't everyone who bragged about smuggling and ignored the rules regarding this topic that are in every cruise contract bring this upon all of us? It's okay for the cruisers to ignore the legal contract they agreed to when they signed up to cruise with Carnival and infringe on CCL's rights, but if CCL attempts to protect their interests, the boards go into an uproar. Great example of how a few rule breakers make life difficult for everyone else.

All the liquor bottles that get thrown away was probably Carnival's first clue. Not only do they see the lost revenue, but they have to deal with all the garbage.

Most cruisers do not read, much less post, on CC.

I believe in keeping my bags locked; it helps prevent someone from putting something inside of it. Airport security asks the luggage questions and the pre recorded luggage announcements play over the PA system at least 6 million times an hour, so why change now?

Additionally, if Carnival finds dangerous items in our luggage, why put them on the ship and return them to the owner on the last night of the cruise:confused: Aren't they just as dangerous? Also, what's to prevent the person who is now in posession of these dangerous items from using them on the last night?:eek:

I think Carnival needs to rethink the policy!

What does locks have to do with cracking down on booze smuggling?

Even more reason why I want my luggage locked seeing as how the lowest bidder is taking it off to scan.

Guess I should add that I think they do have background checks and such, but I don't have that confidence with dockside porters.

Considering the dockside porters are mostly overpaid as it is, they shouldn't have much of a motive to steal and risk losing their cushy jobs, but.... ????

Someone did point out earlier that nobody checks that the luggage going on the cruise actually belongs to someone on the cruise. Got a luggage tag? It's good to go.

What does locks have to do with cracking down on booze smuggling?

Lack of locks makes easier for them to inspect contents. Since lots of people brag about using Rum Runners or wrapping clothes around bottles, and since I'm pretty sure CCL employees read these boards, lack of locks would make it easier for them to check if they suspect someone is smuggling.

The "follow the rules" posters have been warning of this for some time now. The "I'll do it anyway" posters have said that they'll take their chances.

Now we all are effected.

LMAO handcuffs are on the prohibited list!!!

Found that out the hard way! (after dh snuck a pair as a joke for our friend's anniversary into my carry-on, and I got pulled for a search cause they saw them on the x-ray:eek:)

Lack of locks makes easier for them to inspect contents. Since lots of people brag about using Rum Runners or wrapping clothes around bottles, and since I'm pretty sure CCL employees read these boards, lack of locks would make it easier for them to check if they suspect someone is smuggling.

The "follow the rules" posters have been warning of this for some time now. The "I'll do it anyway" posters have said that they'll take their chances.

Now we all are effected.

So you really think they will hand search every bag? LMAO!!! Other cruiselines have zero tolerance on booze smuggling and you can still lock.........it makes no sense.........

..The "follow the rules" posters have been warning of this for some time now. The "I'll do it anyway" posters have said that they'll take their chances.

Now we all are effected.

You don't have to be affected, just switch to Royal Caribbean like we plan on doing.

Additionally, if Carnival finds dangerous items in our luggage, why put them on the ship and return them to the owner on the last night of the cruise:confused: Aren't they just as dangerous? Also, what's to prevent the person who is now in posession of these dangerous items from using them on the last night?:eek:

I think Carnival needs to rethink the policy!

I would ask the same thing last day - first day what's the difference:confused:

So you really think they will hand search every bag? LMAO!!! Other cruiselines have zero tolerance on booze smuggling and you can still lock.........it makes no sense.........

No, but if they want to, it will sure be easier.

You don't have to be affected, just switch to Royal Caribbean like we plan on doing.

I actually prefer RCI, but that wasn't my point. What I'm saying is for years people have posted about smuggling, asked & given advice on how to do so, bragged that they will do what they want. Others have warned that the cruise lines may be monitoring posts. If they did do this to curtail smuggling, don't you think that some of these postings may have given them a clue as to how prevalent it may be.

BTW - RCI is getting a reputation as the toughest on enforcing no booze policy. Not an issue for me, but may be for some who want to switch to avoid search.

I actually prefer RCI, but that wasn't my point. What I'm saying is for years people have posted about smuggling, asked & given advice on how to do so, bragged that they will do what they want. Others have warned that the cruise lines may be monitoring posts. If they did do this to curtail smuggling, don't you think that some of these postings may have given them a clue as to how prevalent it may be.

If that were the case.........what took them so long:confused::p

If they see a security threat, then call the proper authorities in. Get the bomb squad and homeland security in there to investigate.

Anyone see the thread about the scissors and the extension cords being confiscated? What happens when they decide my contact lens solution might be alcohol?

Just to clear up, we were the ones who posted the extension cord contraband on the other thread. Our suitcase was locked and we got a call to come down to the loading area (it was in San Juan - Oct 2009) My husband packed a travel hammer (very small-6") that had several small screwdrivers nesting in the handle - a Christmas stocking gift actually. That caught their eye on the scanner and they asked me if I had a "tool" inside like a hammer. I said yes and they asked me to open the duffel bag to remove it. It was with a bunch of other misc items in a clear bag that a sheet sets come in with the zipper. They told me I couldn't have the hammer (They did not want to search the bag further but it was a clear bag which also had a scissor - a no-no, they measured it, and a pair of pliers (small) - these items were because the wheel of our luggage kept loosening and my husband thought he could tighten it on the trip because we didn't have time to fix it. The also saw the extension cord which was a $60.00 breaker type with five outlets for our computer and the fact that sometimes the chargers don't fit in the 1 outlet due to it's location. They disallowed these things in a nice but firm way. The did agree to take the extension cord to the "contraband God" to ask after I told them I used the that cord on many cruises in my cabin as well as using with my laptop in a public area that had wifi and no one ever said anything. They did not "take" the items, they said I couldn't get on the ship with them. They asked if we knew someone we could leave them with or "mail" them home (on a Sunday) I did take them to the Sheraton we just left where they were very nice and kept the item for us and we picked them up when we returned. It was the first time we had a hammer in our bag and that is what triggered the entire thing. Without that in our bag it would have went right through. They only addressed the other items because they saw them with the hammer. They did not open or search anything else in the bag.

Okay, different perspective here.

Its silly to think that a crook coulnd't get into you suitcase if they really wanted to, especially when its not in your possession for a long period of time, however, it is true that you should't valuable things in luggage that will be out of your possession for long periods of time.

That being said:

I simply can not carry all of my clothes in my carry on bag and believe it or not my clothes are valuable to me and frankly could be to a thief. If clothes weren't valuable then why would Walmart through out old season clothes in their dumpster and cut them to shreds so they couldn't be resold by dumpster divers?

On a more personal note. I would really hate for my clothes to go missing, or get damaged, and yes this may be very superficial, but frankly I'm a big girl and big girl clothes don't come cheap and there isn't much of a way to replace them out in the middle of the ocean or at a port. So, yes, my in-valuables are valuable to me.

And yes, I will be splitting up my clothes between my suitcase and my moms and yes I will have a couple of sets of clothes in my carry on for safety, still doesn't replace probably over $400 worth of Lane Bryant clothes in my suitcase if something happens to them, which someone should be responsible for (PS-I do have travel insurance). And yes, $400 for a suitcase worth of Lane Bryant clothes is actually probably on the low side........big girls would know.

And yes, I do worry about losing luggage and not having any fat girl stores to shop at all the time. Don't hate though, its a reasonable worry, Weight Watchers don't work that fast ppls :D.

I'm another big girl who knows exactly what you mean about valuing the clothes because they are difficult to impossible to replace in the majority of places we travel to.

Archived