I found a new way to "save" for a cruise

I know quite a few people (and I'm sure everyone else here does as well) that don't travel very often- once a year or less. So, I volunteer to be a surrogate TA for them. In exchange for doing the research to find the best flights (good price, fewest layovers, etc...), they'll let me book the flight myself and get the FF miles. This works even better if you have a CC that allows you to earn miles. Of course, this only works with people that can be trusted to reimburse you!:rolleyes:

BTW- If I find a better flight on a different line than I use, I'll book it instead. In the end, friendships and trust are more important than saving money.

Besides the coins, which adds up to several hundred dollars in a year for us, we also put in all 'found' money, such as rebate or refund checks, returns, birthday checks, etc. Just last week I added $190 from sources like these. Any extra unexpected income is used for cruising.

Here's my newest plan... I budget $150 each week for groceries and general stuff we buy at the store, etc. So on the weeks when I don't spend that much instead of leaving it in the account I'm going to pull it out and put that amount into a cruise jar. I am also going to take any money that I budgeted on eating out and do the same thing. So maybe this will make me think twice before impulse buys and mcdonalds drive throughs when I see the "extra" money adding up.

I really like this idea! I may try it out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to save for a cruise is to set up an automatic transfer with your bank. Each week a fixed amount gets automatically transferred to my savings account. Every little bit helps and I don't even feel the pinch - I am just so excited to see my account growing!

Also, feed the credit card which you intend to use during your cruise - many a time you will be surprised to have a credit balance! :)

hooked-on cruising (since 2004)!

I opened a checking account at Chase bank with direct deposit. It gave me 15K priority club points, which with the 5k I had, I could convert to 4 southwest airline credits. My work has me staying at Hampton Inn & Holiday Inn's all gaining Southwest airline credits.

The cruise in February has 3 of us traveling from AZ. I only have to purchse 1 airline ticket because of chosing hotels/credits that work for me. Savings about $600

The checking account at Chase has $50 deposited bi-weekly/ $100 month. The rest goes to the regular BofA account, which has $25 to a savings and $25 to another travel checking account. The regular account has Keep the Change attached to it. In the 2 years I've had that account, Keep the Change has saved me almost $1500.

I also get reimbursed for my gas used during the work week that I pay. I try to be conservative with driving, combining personal errands with work. On a weekly basis I'm buying about $100 gas. 1/2 of that goes into the Chase account as I've already spent it and don't need it. If I do, the Chase account gets attacked first.

I have a change drawer and on the rare occassions that I have cash, I use debit for Keep the Change, all $1 bills get put away. I just checked and I'm at $100.

All these ideas allow me to travel regularly. Priceline is my best friend and I've never gotten stung using it and have saved huge amounts of money of the years with it, while staying at fantastic locations.

I sell unwanted/unneeded items through consignment shops. Less hassle than a garage sale (and usually more money for the item). And for those of us who don't want to deal with setting up to sell on Ebay and doing the shipping - it works great. That's how I was able to redecorate my living room on a tight budget too - selling and buying on consignment.

Consignment is a great way to get clothing on the cheap for the cruise too!

I also use some of the other tricks - rebates, refunds, birthday money, etc.

I almost exclusively use a bank debit card. My bank has a plan whereby if if I use my debit card and choose credit on the machine in the stores and gas stations, it puts $1 into a separate account (it rounds up my purchase). We use a debit card LOTS. It doesn't show up in your checking or savings account. It's not lumped in with everything else. I didn't think it would amount to anything more than my tips, but I now have over $700 in my account. I can't even remember what it's called and I'm sure I'm not allowed to say the name of the bank but it's something like My Way or similar. If you pay bills and pay groceries, restaurants, gas with debit, it really adds up faster than you think. Since I rarely, if ever, have change this is my cruise savings. I keep a change jar and I think I have around $30 in it, but this $700 is looking like it will be enough to pay for the hotel (pre-cruise night), tips, some drinks.....just a different way. You also have the option to have other money deposited to this fund/account.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone is in my position, but i just found out that my DBF and I might have a somewhat iffy cruise vacation since recently his grandfather cut him off of his monthly $1,000 for taking care of him (it's hard to split that between both of us and our 6 month old puppy who eats the house down!) And luckily to supplement us he's been working for the past month (I've been dying trying to find a job!) but the intake will be a pittance once taxes are taken off of it and we have no idea when he's going to receive his first paycheck and how long he's supposed to work there for (the company is going out of business and he's moving furniture for $13 p.hr- awesome right? Not when he only works 3-4 days a week and only like 5-7 hours a day.... not exactly going to get us that $1000- which was hard to live off of anyway and it was dwindled by the end of the month).

Well he has a habit of drinking soda (mostly bought by his grandpa or my parents who we go see sometimes) and energy drinks (which is half of the reason why the money is gone before the end of the month- the other is his addiction to cigarettes, ugh!) so I've decided to cash in on his habit and we've been collecting plastic bottles and aluminum cans.... and occasionally beer bottles when my mom has her own fun.... Well I'm hoping that by the time the cruise comes around we can cash at least 10 bags and get some money. I've also been saving his change that he lays over the counters in plastic bags and a change jar.... and the dollars go into a jar marked "College Fund".... I'm not sure how much we have, but I'm hoping at least $100.... then another $200 for the next 2 months or so and we might be able to have SOME fun.... luckily my mom will be on the cruise so maybe she'll help since she knows our pittance of an income.

This economy sucks- I'm 20 years old and I can't even get a job at a freaking McDonalds!:(

If I have any money in my bank account the day before payday, I transfer that amount into my annual tax-free ISA account. This is my travel fund.

I only use 'reward' or cash back credit cards and pay them off in full each month.

I have a clear out of my stuff a couple of times a year and put items I no longer need into a box. Anything I can sell, even if it's a small amount, I put on Ebay on a free listing day. The rest is given away to charity.

I take 'handbag vodka' out with me on nights out when I know the bar prices at a particular venue will be extortionate. ;)

I enter and win lots of free internet competitions. Anything I can't use is sold on Ebay.

I use cashback websites and voucher codes wherever possible for online purchases.

I take a packed lunch into work and I make my own soups at home.

I usually buy clothes in the sales, then I put the money I've saved on the original price into my travel fund.

This may sound like I live a frugal lifestyle - believe me I don't. I take four vacations a year including at least one cruise from the USA and the flights often cost more than the cruise. Naturally I shop around for the best flights and cruise prices.

Here in the UK we have a brilliant moneysavingexpert dot com website which advises on the best time to switch fuel providers and lists all the best buys and it has excellent money saving forums.

The best way to save for a cruise is to set up an automatic transfer with your bank. Each week a fixed amount gets automatically transferred to my savings account. Every little bit helps and I don't even feel the pinch - I am just so excited to see my account growing!

Also, feed the credit card which you intend to use during your cruise - many a time you will be surprised to have a credit balance! :)

Sounds like a great idea. I actually stash coins a year in advance. Not spare change, but buying rolled coinage. Then cashing it in a week before you travel. It helps if your bank takes the coins for no charge(mine does).

I almost exclusively use a bank debit card. My bank has a plan whereby if if I use my debit card and choose credit on the machine in the stores and gas stations, it puts $1 into a separate account (it rounds up my purchase). We use a debit card LOTS. It doesn't show up in your checking or savings account. It's not lumped in with everything else. I didn't think it would amount to anything more than my tips, but I now have over $700 in my account. I can't even remember what it's called and I'm sure I'm not allowed to say the name of the bank but it's something like My Way or similar. If you pay bills and pay groceries, restaurants, gas with debit, it really adds up faster than you think. Since I rarely, if ever, have change this is my cruise savings. I keep a change jar and I think I have around $30 in it, but this $700 is looking like it will be enough to pay for the hotel (pre-cruise night), tips, some drinks.....just a different way. You also have the option to have other money deposited to this fund/account.

Sounds like my debit card. Be careful,though. In Boston I used mine in a restaurant. By the next day someone skimmed me for $2000. I got it all back, but what a hassel.

:D

what we are doing is paying EXTRA on monthly bills like an extra 50 a month on the electric/gas bill, untill one whole month is paid extra, then i move on to phone bill, get that one paid a month exta, then car and so on and so on, untill my husband and i have both of our last paychecks before vacation COMPLETLY for vacation.

i love this idea and this is exactly what i am going to try now. thanks for sharing! i did the change thing, the round up in my checking account, and the $1 bills. I can't see the point of shopping for sales if I put the difference I saved in the bank. I need to shop the sales and use coupons to make the bill affordable in the first place. hahaha enjoy everyone. i love this thread :D

I agree completely with the automatic transfer.

We also had bonus's, tax returns, gift money and overtime pay to the vacation fund.

I have a Canada savings bond that pulls money off of every check. I set it up a couple years ago, so i never notice the money but it adds up fast.

Basically set the amount for whatever you can afford and it puts it all into a savings bond you earn interest on, and takes a couple days to get your hands on. So if your an impulse person like i am, you actually have to think about what your pulling that money out for and if you really want it before buying it.

I quit smoking ~ $150 month

I don't Scarbucks ~ never did, so I don't know how much I save

I don't eat out with my co-workers at lunch ~ swear they spend about $100/month ($5 x 20 workdays)

I drive a beater Jap car and muffin's car is not a late model and while it's nice it isn't really prestigious.

We don't drink when we go out

My wife and I each direct deposit $100 month.

Many of the change jar, round off the check/debit card ect. stuff is robbing Peter to pay Carnival. I find it less tedious to just stuff a savings account autopilot style and try to forget about it for a year or so. Living a less extravagant lifestyle is my key to savings. Why try to keep up with the Jones'? Last check, they rarely take vacations. When they do - they do so on credit.

• 4 weeks later...

Since we still use quarters for laundry (machine in the building) our change jar doesn't add up. I do empty my wallet of all cash each Friday morning and put away for vacation. Every other Friday is payday so it works out seamlessly half the time, other fridays i just suck it up and count the days to departure :) Adds up!

I use the medical account plan at work....and whenever I go to the doctor or get prescriptions for me or my husband...we consider it "cruise payments." We never submit for our reimbursements until September so we have it for the cruise. Because we both spend about $75 a month on medications....we have a nice chunk of change by the time we leave for our Oct cruise plus it takes the pain out of paying for rheumatoid arthritis and diabetic supplies!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
My husband has set up a vacation account and it automatically draws funds from our savings every month and it gets intrests too! Before we know it we have enough $ in the account and we didn't feel the pain, so to speak;)

My husband and I do the same thing. The account can't be accessed with a ATM card either so that makes the savings even better, because we can't dip into it.

• 7 months later...

I used to get Starbucks literally every morning, spending over $5. I've now cut out Starbucks and put $5 a day into a jar. I just recently started doing it to have extra money for our cruise May 21st, but think about it... that $5 a day I was spending on Starbucks is now $150 a month going towards my vacation :) And even when money is tight, I really don't notice throwing $5 in there. I also throw in any loose change at the end of the day.

I started doing this recently which I read about years ago:

Any "incoming" money outside of my salary goes to the fund. For instance, I "earned" $10 for participating in a health program at work, so that goes to the fund. I got a rebate on something recently - that goes to the fund. Today I cleaned out the jeep and took the change for the fund. It all adds up....

• 2 months later...

I cleaned out my house and started putting stuff in a pile that wasnt being used or worn and had a gargae sale.. I did 3 last summer and made a total of $1200.00 and I also saved over $200.00 in loose change...

Archived