Dining Room Waitlist--HAL wouldn't tell TA?

bermuda triangle

For our past cruises when we have been waitlisted for the MDR our TA has called and HAL has always stated what number we are on the list.

So being the curious person I am, I called the TA, who put me on hold and called HAL, who was told "We aren't allowed to say the number any longer, but things look good". My TA was somewhat miffed, as was I.

My question is has anyone else found this to be the case or was someone just not very helpful??

Laura

For our past cruises when we have been waitlisted for the MDR our TA has called and HAL has always stated what number we are on the list.

So being the curious person I am, I called the TA, who put me on hold and called HAL, who was told "We aren't allowed to say the number any longer, but things look good". My TA was somewhat miffed, as was I.

My question is has anyone else found this to be the case or was someone just not very helpful??

Laura

Hi Laura,

This is a policy that has been a policy for quite some time. It's just more recently that it has been enforced more. My assumption (could be wrong) is that it could create a bunch of you know what if someone is told several months out "You're position 8" and doesn't clear the argument will start with "we had a low number, we're mad we didn't clear."

Most important thing to keep in mind though... if the set time you want doesn't clear, you can make reservations for the week at a specific time through open dining. Just see the Dining Room Manager when you first get on the ship if you aren't confirmed before you board.

Thank you for that information. I have seen people in action when they don't get what they want :eek: particularly on a cruise , so the poilicy makes sense.

I am hoping not to have to make reservations, even if they are for the same time every night. I don't mind open seating, but I love having the same tablemates (in this case my friends and family) and the same waitstaff nightly. Call me old fashioned ;)

I have concluded that HAL has been taking lessons in vocabulary from the airlines. "Confirmed" doesn't actually mean "confirmed". It means "confirmed unless we decide to unconfirm it".

On a recent cruise we had "confirmed" late seating (or we wouldn't have booked the cruise). We found out a couple of weeks before departure we were assigned to the open seating. Had the TA call HAL, who offered no explanation but said we were 6th on the wait list for the late seating. Upon boarding, we found that we had been reassigned (again) to the early seating. We eventually got it sorted out, but we will make an issue of this in future. We do not do early seating, and specifically will not book a cruise unless we can confirm late seating.

This arbitrary shuffling of dining times without even having the courtesy to tell us is very disrespectful, and conveys contempt and derision for their best customers. Not happy. This type of attitude is killing the airlines. HAL, I hope you're paying attention.

This arbitrary shuffling of dining times without even having the courtesy to tell us is very disrespectful, and conveys contempt and derision for their best customers. Not happy. This type of attitude is killing the airlines. HAL, I hope you're paying attention.
Well said. I have been shuffled around the same way.

I have concluded that HAL has been taking lessons in vocabulary from the airlines. "Confirmed" doesn't actually mean "confirmed". It means "confirmed unless we decide to unconfirm it".
Yep. We once checked in at the pier with docs in hand stating "Confirmed Main Upper". Cabin keys stated 'open seating'. When I pointed this out to the person checking us in I was told to straighten it out on board. HAL does have a different definition of "confirmed"... :eek:

Not unlike what happened to me on my last cruise. I had been confirmed for main/fixed seating when I booked 15 months before. I boarded to find I had been assigned to open seating. After going to get this corrected, and insisting on what had been confirmed, I was given main/fixed, but was not given a larger table, as I preferred.

So much for As You Wish. :rolleyes:

Bermuda Triangle,

If wanting to eat with family and friends, that too is possible in open seating, although you will have to make reservations to be sure to get a large enough table. Friends did that on a recent cruise -worked just great. On the other hand, if you don't want to make a reservation, you still may all be able to eat together, depends on the time you get to the dining room.

My guess is that groups (TA or other) make bookings and want a fixed seating, forcing individuals, even if booked earlier, out into open seating.

Also, since suite pax get priority, they may bump somebody out who had booked earlier.

Sounds like all who aren't suite pax or groups should just get a 'requested' status, not 'confirmed', and then they can be confirmed close to sailing, space permitting, with the earlier bookings getting priority over late bookings.

Those who want to get early or late seating for sure when booking can perhaps try to be part of a TA group.

I agree that telling pax that they are 'confirmed' when they are not is plain dishonesty.

Oldest and youngest first

Evacuations were conducted by age — oldest and youngest first. Elderly travelers and children were among the 1,131 tourists who were taken out through Wednesday. :p

http://www.utube-2.com/video/view/tTu5urB6ArA:)

paris anyone? the new global youth needs a spanking imo...

Not really sure how Lady Gaga fits into this conversation LOL...

but the link doesn't quite work until I removed the smiley eyes.

Personally I think she looks like a freak, but I actually enjoy a few of her songs.

But to add a little levity to this which I'm sure almost no one will get:

Q: How do you wake up Lady GaGa?

A: You Pok-er Face

We just booked an Oct 3rd cruise with a AAA group to Bermuda and requested early dining. We are on the waitlist. So even our TA from AAA does not get the seating that we put in for. However, we booked a cruise 17 months in advance and got early seating just for the 2 of us, not in a group cruise. Go figure

We just booked an Oct 3rd cruise with a AAA group to Bermuda and requested early dining. We are on the waitlist. So even our TA from AAA does not get the seating that we put in for. However, we booked a cruise 17 months in advance and got early seating just for the 2 of us, not in a group cruise. Go figure

Well that's the point; will you still be in early seating when you reach the ship? Some people's reservations are getting changed long after booking.

Suppose a large TA group all want and get early seating, or 90% of the suite pax want early seating.

• 2 months later...

We do not like open seating and therefore always have reserve early seating. We have never not obtained early assigned seating as requested. However, if you want open seating, that is what it is: Open seating and as they can fill the seating. Best of luck next time!

Archived