Am I missing the "boat"?

floridacruisers

Just noticed the Editor's Pick Award for best buffet and main dining room for 2009 went to Carnival. Am I traveling on the wrong cruise line for food:confused: I know the issue is subjective but I wonder if I should go back to Carnivor er Carnival for better food than Celebrity. My last trip on Carnival was my last trip on Carnival. I swore never again. Somebody help me please!:eek:

Phil

In order to trim costs, Celebrity has undertaken a 1031 Exchange of hulls with a certain Whale Tail funneled cruise line... so Celebrity Solstice and Equinox will be very cozy and familiar to passengers of C. Fantasy and C. Inspiration. There have already been complaints by Carnival cruisers that the 'new' 'X-Sol Fantasy' and 'Equin-Inspiration' don't smell adequately of tobacco and spilled beer, but you know they're working on that!

Additionally, X has recently replaced galley boss Jacque Van Roux - or however that fancy pants Euro sniffer was pronounced - and replaced him/them with the executive chefs of the reknowned restraurants 'Denny's' and 'Cracker Barrel'. X is looking to remain cutting edge; its simply the editors at large that are behind the behinds of the times. ;)

in order to trim costs, celebrity has undertaken a 1031 exchange of hulls with a certain whale tail funneled cruise line... So celebrity solstice and equinox will be very cozy and familiar to passengers of c. Fantasy and c. Inspiration. There have already been complaints by carnival cruisers that the 'new' 'x-sol fantasy' and 'equin-inspiration' don't smell adequately of tobacco and spilled beer, but you know they're working on that!

Additionally, x has recently replaced galley boss jacque van roux - or however that fancy pants euro sniffer was pronounced - and replaced him/them with the executive chefs of the reknowned restraurants 'denny's' and 'cracker barrel'. X is looking to remain cutting edge; its simply the editors at large that are behind the behinds of the times. ;)

lol

Just noticed the Editor's Pick Award for best buffet and main dining room for 2009 went to Carnival. Am I traveling on the wrong cruise line for food:confused: I know the issue is subjective but I wonder if I should go back to Carnivor er Carnival for better food than Celebrity. My last trip on Carnival was my last trip on Carnival. I swore never again. Somebody help me please!:eek:

Phil

What editor....

If you like being asked to wear red, white or blue, and then shouting at the top of your lungs when your team name is mentioned, then yes, Carnival has the best main dining room experience.

We thought the food on our last Carnival cruise was terrible.:rolleyes: Me thinks only Carnival lovers voted.

PS - Carnival does have one of the best staterooms, IMO. ;)

Phil

Editor of what? I'll still take my chances with Celebrity.

You said that your last Carnival cruise would be your "last". Surely food cannot be that important to you that you would change your mind based on another's subjective opinion vs. your own personal experience. Stick to your guns and then make up your own mind - there just is not that much difference between food on cruise lines until you hit the upper strata with the likes of Crystal, Seven Seas, Seabourn and Cunard Grill class.:)

To say that Carnivores food is better than Celebrity is a joke. However as stated, food is subjective. Who would be surprised if that writer was "paid" for that "honest" opine?:rolleyes:

Been on Carnival several times, MD food is O.K. No match for Celebrity. However the buffet is a joke on Carnivore. X is wonderful

In order to trim costs, Celebrity has undertaken a 1031 Exchange of hulls with a certain Whale Tail funneled cruise line... so Celebrity Solstice and Equinox will be very cozy and familiar to passengers of C. Fantasy and C. Inspiration. There have already been complaints by Carnival cruisers that the 'new' 'X-Sol Fantasy' and 'Equin-Inspiration' don't smell adequately of tobacco and spilled beer, but you know they're working on that!

Additionally, X has recently replaced galley boss Jacque Van Roux - or however that fancy pants Euro sniffer was pronounced - and replaced him/them with the executive chefs of the reknowned restraurants 'Denny's' and 'Cracker Barrel'. X is looking to remain cutting edge; its simply the editors at large that are behind the behinds of the times. ;)

I was trying to post an animated laughing cat; oh, well, your post really cracked me up! :D

Phil

We sailed Barnival errr I mean Carnival once and that was one too many times. I kept reading all these great reviews about the food...HA.. the food was absolutely horrible. Not to mention the service. We were on an 8 day and couldn't wait for it to end. I have never spent so much time in my cabin as we did on that cruise. My husband joked that it was cheap transportation.

BTW there is nothing wrong with you :)

If you like being asked to wear red, white or blue, and then shouting at the top of your lungs when your team name is mentioned, then yes, Carnival has the best main dining room experience.

We thought the food on our last Carnival cruise was terrible.:rolleyes: Me thinks only Carnival lovers voted.

PS - Carnival does have one of the best staterooms, IMO. ;)

The bedding was nice (which helped since we hung out in the cabin most of the time) but that was the only thing besides the price that was good.

Maybe if they've only been on Carnival and they're used to eating what they microwave at home, they think it's gourmet fare.:D It's all relative.

I love cruise critic but the surveys are not exactly scientific. I remember several years ago someone on one of the other boards didn't like how their line came out so they asked everyone to vote in the survey.

Phil

We went on our first Carnival cruise in January--a 4-day out of San Diego. While Carnival does some things well, the food was not nearly as good as what we have had on Celebrity. It was better than the food we had on one HAL cruise, but not as good as the others. The cruise was very economical and unlike any previous cruising experience.

My last cruise on Carnival was also my LAST cruise on Carnival...

As for food, I's day it wasn't terrible...better than Denny's or McDonalds...

...but nowhere near Celebrity...

And, for me, the "buffet" and the "dining room" means a lot more than just food as well...

And this is where Carnival REALLY loses it...

First, the buffet DOES have a lot of choices...but VOLUME does NOT make up for QUALITY...

...not to mention service...

The thing I first noticed about Carnival's buffet was that there was ZERO help...NOBODY even cleared off or wiped clean the tables...No one helped you with drinks...or items you missed...No one helped you find a table--not that there were any...It was pretty much a dog eat dog free-for-all...

That was day one...and my LAST trip to the Carnival buffet...

Okay, the Dining room:

The ship was SO crowded and it was reflected in the dining room...The tables were jammed in with no room for anyone to even walk between them...many of the tables were booths--allowing them to jam tables in back-to-back-to-back...First time I ever heard a cruise waiter asking a passenger to "please pass" a plate to another passenger! Our waiter was forced to serve 1.5 times as many passengers as our RCI waiter on the cruise we took the immediate week before...and the Assistant waiter was helping with twice that...We often had orders brought wrong...and several times multiple courses were delivered at the same time...I didn't blame our waiter...I felt bd for her...she had too much to do and little help...

You could have the best food in the world, but under those circumstances, it would NOT be considered the "best buffet" or "best dining room"...

Phil

It would take a lot more than food to get me back to Carnival.

Food is just a small part of the cruise...eat too much and it may become a big part of life...

I would look at the whole package, and X is far superior to ccl in terms of overall product...so stick with X and you will be happy.

The Editor's Award is on the main page of this site under "Today on Cruise Critic". Honest, I wasn't making it up. Just cancelled my 10 night Equinox cruise for a Bahamas' on Carnival. Oh no:eek:, here come the guys in the white jackets.

Phil

This is a joke, am I correct. Why would you cancel a cruise based upon one unscientific survey....

Phil

I have seen them win many awards for their food. I haven't traveled with them for years.. but will in Oct.. I can't want to compare.

I would bet that the editor in question is a Carnival fan and is a bit biased. Everybody I know who have cruised on Carnival and described the dining experience have told me it is just OK. They admit, however, that it isn't the food that attracts them to Carnival. It's the cheaper fares and the higher level of activities on board.

Archived