Map of Venice? Buy in U.S.?

diane.in.ny

The tourism offices (and the hotels usually give you a copy of this or a similar one) provides a semi-decent map gratis.

Basic rules when walking around Venice:

1) you will get lost

2) you will get unlost; don't worry about it

There are signs pointing the way to the major sites at frequent intervals. Since nothing goes straight for more than a few meters in Venice, you will still get lost (1 above). However, since Venice is small, just continue on and you find yourself unlost (2 above).

My favorite intersection in Venice has has three signs .. each pointing a different way.. for S. Marco and two different ones for Rialto.

Was wondering....

Should I buy one to bring with me or do the hotels offer a decent one?

I'd simply print out an internet map. Once you get there hotels and other places have free maps. Once you study you'll quickly find out yes you can easily get lost as the other poster said, but its also a very simply place to get lost as its easy to find your way too.

Enjoy venice.

Most Borders and Barnes and Noble stores that I have been in sell maps of Venice; good ones, coated ones that can be folded up, written on and wiped off. One brand name is Streetwise.

I have small, folding maps that fold up to the size of a credit card sold by Berlitz for many different European cities. I prefer them when I'm walking around to a large map that calls too much attention. However, in my apartment/hotel room I usually have a large, detailed map with a street name index.

Here's a link where you can see the map I have: http://www.berlitzpublishing.com/berlitz/display.asp?isb=9812464611&TAG=&CID=

It's inexpensive, detailed, and easy to carry around.

The maps handed out by the hotels are fine in a pinch, but I'm kind of a map geek and I like to have a good one of my own.

Was wondering....Should I buy one to bring with me or do the hotels offer a decent one?

Agree with the other posters that what you can get off of the Internet and/or at your hotel can be fine. Like you, I'm a "MAP FREAK" and like to do lots of studying up of these maps PRIOR to the trip. Google map is so great in that way. It really helps prepare for your visit. The Eyewitness books have nice maps and visuals.

BUT, however, the point about it being hard to get lost in Venice is true. All over the place the signs point San Marco Square and the Rialto Bridge. It's great to just wander around in Venice! We discovered a darling mask shop that way. Have been to Venice three times and it is one of my most favorite cities. It's great that they don't have all of the noise, cars, trucks and motor scooters of Rome and other large cities.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Agree with the other posters that what you can get off of the Internet and/or at your hotel can be fine. Like you, I'm a "MAP FREAK" and like to do lots of studying up of these maps PRIOR to the trip. Google map is so great in that way. It really helps prepare for your visit.

Well, I think you're right that internet maps are fine for most situations, but you have to remember their own disclaimers - there are mistakes in them. For example, the last time I looked at a Google map of Venice, they had the train station on the wrong side of the Grand Canal. You can clearly see the train station in the satelite view, yet the words "Stazione Santa Lucia" and the google train station icon are located in Piazzale Roma.

A few years ago while planning a trip in Naples, I got maps of the exact same address from google, viamichelin, tuttocitta (an italian mapping site), mapquest and mappy. Of the five, I had four different locations in Naples for the same address.

So, when it really counts, I like to have a published paper map that I have some confidence has been reviewed and edited for correctness.

For the casual tourist just wandering around, that's overkill, I'm sure.

TLCOhio, I too like to study the maps. I like to get my bearings...just to have an idea where things are.

I picked up a Frommer's book w/ 24 Venice walks and each walk has its own, very good, detailed map. But I"m having a hard time, off the internet, finding an overview map that I'm happy with.

Guess I'll go with what I have and wing it :D

Another "map geek" here.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I have found that I really like the Knopf map guides very much. They are in the format of a small "book" and each page spread gives a detailed map of a part of the city.

There are two advantages to this kind of format: First, the "detail" sections are larger and allow for more detail than on a single map pages. For example, they don't leave out any of the small streets or alleys in Rome that some maps do. To me that's helpful because I like to wander and to try shortcuts. (I'm mainly a walker in most cities I visit).

Second, you don't have to unfold a large map anytime you want to check your directions. You just take out the small book (easily fits in a purse) and open it to the correct pages.

Of course, when studying my maps in advance, I also like to have a larger map that gives the whole layout of the city, just for general reference and direction. :o

Here's a link to the Knopf map guide for Venice, if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-MapGuide-Venice-Mapguides/dp/0307263908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265472308&sr=8-1

If you look at the publication date, it's also recently updated. If you find one in a store, look to be sure it's the new (2009) version and not the older (2001) version that seems to have the same cover.

Another "map geek" here.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I have found that I really like the Knopf map guides very much. They are in the format of a small "book" and each page spread gives a detailed map of a part of the city.

There are two advantages to this kind of format: First, the "detail" sections are larger and allow for more detail than on a single map pages. For example, they don't leave out any of the small streets or alleys in Rome that some maps do. To me that's helpful because I like to wander and to try shortcuts. (I'm mainly a walker in most cities I visit).

Second, you don't have to unfold a large map anytime you want to check your directions. You just take out the small book (easily fits in a purse) and open it to the correct pages.

Of course, when studying my maps in advance, I also like to have a larger map that gives the whole layout of the city, just for general reference and direction. :o

Here's a link to the Knopf map guide for Venice, if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-MapGuide-Venice-Mapguides/dp/0307263908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265472308&sr=8-1

If you look at the publication date, it's also recently updated. If you find one in a store, look to be sure it's the new (2009) version and not the older (2001) version that seems to have the same cover.

Agree with Cynthia that the Knopf books are very, very good. Lots of nice graphics in a different style than Eyewitness. Lots of real substance, history, etc., in the copy.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

To emphasize EuroCruiser's comments on the Google maps, Google has several mistakes that can be seen immediately on the "map" view - the misplacement of the Santa Lucia train station and the omission of the new pedestrian bridge from Piazzale Roma to the train station. Both of these errors could be pretty confusing for someone who might use them for guidance.

Going to the "satellite" view on the map, however, you can see both the huge train station and the new bridge at the tip end of the train station sidewalk clearly in their correct locations, but without labels. Zooming in on the satellite photos, you can also see all the bridges over the canals.

Yay Google satellite view.

Archived