CHRIS Tour/Taxi???

lbaerg

I have recently booked with him and would also like to hear about former experiences.

Thx.

Daniel

Hi Daniel..

So I guess we are the first to book him..

When do you go???

Lauren

• 2 weeks later...

if you go to this link you will see the transportation info. http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Transport.htm they suggest that the taxi to the beach is very cheap; about $4 US ($10 EC). we have been trying to figure out if there are other companies AT grande anse beach to take you to the Sculpture Gardens because Celebrity does not allow anyone under 12 on that excursion and all 5 of our children, 9-18, snorkel.

Any ideas on this would be great. Nature's Spirit is coming up full for the dates March 9th that we need it and Seafaris.com is very frustrating because their site doesn't work but everyone recommends both of these.

hope the link helps. brenda

He was GREAT!!!! When I get off the ship I will give a big review... Cost was only $30 per person for 5.5 hours.. (6 in group) He also provided drinks.(soda water beer).

More info to come.. Ship internet min are running out..lol

Lauren

if you go to this link you will see the transportation info. http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Transport.htm they suggest that the taxi to the beach is very cheap; about $4 US ($10 EC). we have been trying to figure out if there are other companies AT grande anse beach to take you to the Sculpture Gardens because Celebrity does not allow anyone under 12 on that excursion and all 5 of our children, 9-18, snorkel.

Any ideas on this would be great. Nature's Spirit is coming up full for the dates March 9th that we need it and Seafaris.com is very frustrating because their site doesn't work but everyone recommends both of these.

hope the link helps. brenda

Both are good. I just checked Seafaris and it is in development but all the main areas, what it is all about etc, do work. I don't think you can book on line but I would recommend go to the site and get their email and ask for a private tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We have only just returned from our cruise on "Mein Schiff" (Engl. "My Ship").

We had booked Chris for a private half-day-tour on Grenada for US$25 per hour.

Chris was on time at the port with a sign in his hand that was saying my name. It was also easy to recognise him because of the photo of him he has on his homepage. Also a lot of people seemed to know him at the terminal and also around the island.

Chris is a very friendly guy who knows the island very well. He drives very carefully and accompanies you on hikes if you wish so. He showed us an easy trail around Grand Etang and led us to Carmel Falls. He pointed out different plants and explained them to us.

We would recommend Chris to our family and friends.

See here how to contact him: http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/chris/

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

• 4 weeks later...

Chris provided a great full day tour that was the highlight of our cruise. Grenada is and extremely interesting and beautiful island (and I've been to almost all of them). You will make the most of your time and see much more on his private tour--and you will also avoid the cruise ship tour bus crowds. I would highly recommend this.

• 7 months later...

We just returned from our 10-day Emerald Princess cruise and we had a private tour booked with Chris. I communicated with him by phone and numerous emails. Upon arrival at the pier Chris was there holding a sign with someone else's name and my name was being held by another driver Chris had hired the evening before to take us on the tour instead. Chris said he would catch up with us somewhere on the tour and he never did. He never gave an explanation as to why he did not honor the reservation with him nor has he responded to my email as to why he "dumped" us.

The driver, Bernie, was a nice gentleman but during the drive, my sister and sister-in-law could hardly hear the man's narration of the island. We had chosen Chris because of the reviews on Tripadvisor and on some of the boards here on cruise critic. I know we would have had a much better experience and had been given much more information had it been Chris. No water, no soda's were available as Bernie explained he was contacted very late the evening before so he did not have time to prepare.

For comparison, in Dominica we toured with Reyno tours and we had a guide in the van and we stopped at so many places and the guide went with us and explained everything. Not the same on this tour as we had very few stops.

We had the exact same experience as the OP - we had communicated with Chris several times before hand and expected a private tour for two with Chris himself. While on the ship we met another couple who told us they were also booked with Chris - we were surprised because we had assumed it was private, but thought, no big deal, nice couple we'll share.

As it turned out, there were three couples booked with Chris, and the first one's off the ship went with Chris, us and the other couple had different drivers. Bernard was great, but he drove painfully slow. His history and information were good, but we didn't get to see half the things we had hoped to because of the slow pace. When Chris and I orginally spoke we asked for some beach time in the afternoon, and when we met Bernard we also requested beach time. That didn't happen. After a lunch break we had to motor to get back to the ship and didn't see any beaches on Grenada. That was disappointing.

The other couple told us later that their driver did not say much of anything, it was a quiet trip for them, they were not very happy with the day.

I am glad to know after reading other's posts that we were not the only ones that this happened to. We paid $25 per hour not per person and after 5 hours we paid $125 plus tip for 3 people. We were the first people off the ship and were told to go with Bernard. I yet have to hear from Chris after I emailed him. He needs to be upfront. Bernard had a lot of info but I had studied the history prior to visiting the island and I asked him a lot of questions. We went to a waterfall and he stayed behind, we went to the nutmeg places and drove to a place where people dove off a little mountain (sort of like in Acapulco) and there was a stop to shop. Bernard never accompanied us on that stop. We barely made it to Grand Anse beach for a quick stop and some local fish fry and then it was time to get back and it started to rain.

I have read over and over that Chris himself takes people everywhere and they see more than what we saw. I will not recommend Chris because he needs to be upfront about who is going to take you on a tour.

it is a pretty island and next time we vist we will book another independent tour may be Nature Explorers which some of our fellow cruisers booked.

All of you have a wonderful cruise and a Happy Holidays :o)

Same thing here...we are booked with Chris on Dec. 15. Hope he doesn't pull this trick. You should write a negative review on Trip Advisor.

I thought about commenting on Trip Advisor but I wanted to give Chris a chance to respond to my email as to why he did not take us. Since I have read some of your responses it seems Chris has a history of putting people with other drivers but letting you believe he is the driver. Not cool IMHO.

Sounds like Chris has become the victim of his own success and is taking on too many bookings. It's a shame but you can only do so much with one bus and one driver. I guess the only thing to do is to demand him and if it can't be him don't take the tour.

Chris just called me to talk about our recent experience and I thanked him for being a gentleman and contacting me. I told him that the tour we had was not bad, but from everything I had read we would have had a more indept tour if he had been our guide. I suggested to him to let people know if they do not have Chris as their tour guide. I told him that during our emails between him that he lead us to believe we would have him. He understood and he also knows I don't harbor any bad feelings. I do hope to return to Grenada and tour next time with Chris.

To all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting because I had Chris booked for January 2. He did email and call me today. I guess he has taken a group of 5 after booking our tour. I am glad he is being upfront. We may join that tour, but if we are not going to be with Chris, I am going to start researching something else

Just wanted to let you know that Chris did listen to you. He called today and assured me he would be our guide! He is really great and understands that people want him for a guide. We got everything all figured out. We combined our tour with someone else. This works out great for everyone! Better price for us and a better living for Chris.

Merry Christmas!

Chris just called me to talk about our recent experience and I thanked him for being a gentleman and contacting me. I told him that the tour we had was not bad, but from everything I had read we would have had a more indept tour if he had been our guide. I suggested to him to let people know if they do not have Chris as their tour guide. I told him that during our emails between him that he lead us to believe we would have him. He understood and he also knows I don't harbor any bad feelings. I do hope to return to Grenada and tour next time with Chris.

We did have Chris for our tour on the 19th and he was good. I did notice that as soon as I walked up and told him that our group of 9 was there--he handed his other sign with a name to the guy next to him. So I guess those folks were out.

We weren't happy with the lunch option. It was a restaurant at the chocolate factory. Very slow service and expensive. At first the waitress said that the only option was the buffet (at more than $20 a person), but later said they had an a la carte menu that had some sandwiches and a few other things. We waited a long time for the food, and then a really long time for the check--even after we asked. That cut into a lot of our time for the day.

One other thing was that there was a charge/fee for most of the stops--nothing bad--just be ready. $1 to hike the stairs down to the waterfall, $1 for the nutmeg processing plant, and $2 for the rum factory tour. The chocolate tour was free. It's a poor island so I didn't mind paying the fees but it did get a bit tiresome.

Just wanted to let you know that Chris did listen to you. He called today and assured me he would be our guide! He is really great and understands that people want him for a guide. We got everything all figured out. We combined our tour with someone else. This works out great for everyone! Better price for us and a better living for Chris.

Merry Christmas!

You are on your tour with Chris today. I just came back from our christmas vacation and did not check the boards. I am so glad for you that you have him as a tour guide. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Els, I'm glad Chris finally called you.

Possibly, due to your reviews, he rented a larger van to accompany all of us in one big van. He said he could take 20, but I wouldn't recommend more than 18 in the van, as the additional need to sit on a jump seat. He took us all around the island and was very good at explaining everything about the island and the fauna. We didn't have time for a beach or lunch stop.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

We had a good time with Chris. Being combined with a larger group (we were 2, and they were 5) did make it seem like we were part of their tour, but that only became an issue at the end when they wanted to end the tour early.

Anyway, Chris does really know the island. He showed us great stuff. It was cool how pretty much every plant was a spice or fruit we knew (well, not every one, but you get the idea). Him stopping and getting us bananas right from the tree was a highlight.

So, good tour - it was a little bit of a bummer to be combined with another group, but all in all, good time.

Archived