Panama Canal "Boring" ???

We_like_to_cruise

We just returned from a wonderful Emerald Princess cruise. (More about that on other threads).

One of our future cruise goals was the Panama Canal.

Imagine our surprise when one of our new tablemates declared traversing the canal was "like watching paint dry". I was kind of shocked. Isn't this one of mankind's greatest feats, a technological marvel that took years and that cost many thousands of lives?

Okay, we thought, just one person's opinion.

Later in the week we sat with a new couple at lunch who described their trip through the canal as "very boring".

We still have that cruise on our list. BUT, what do you people think?

Thumbs up or down?:confused:

We loved our transit of the Panama Canal because a local expert joins the ship and narrates during the transit. Doing a land excursion is a good idea if your ship allows but read my report so you don't use the tour company that we used!!!

A group of 12 of us booked a full day Panama Canal tour with panamatours.com.pa for March 17, 2010 and were excited about the itinerary. We had been in contact with the tour company by email and on the phone prior to leaving for our cruise. They seemed to be professional and very helpful. We sent a check to their Texas office for a deposit of half of the full cost. On the day of the tour, their driver and "guide" arrived an hour late in a basic model Nissan van which barely fit all of us when we used the pull down seats built for the size of a child. The "guide" was just another driver and had no abilities to share information or answer questions about the Panama Canal. He took it upon himself to change the order of the itinerary and took us to the Gatun Locks observation deck after it had closed for the day. He didn't talk to us on the 40 minute ride to Portobelo so most of the people couldn't understand the significance of going there. He called the residents of Colon "lazy" and made a derogatory comment about Jewish people. The actual driver of the van sped through a railroad crossing with the warning blaring. The driver and "guide" were young men who acted like they were out and about with twentysomethings. We actually averaged 60 years of age. This was the worst tour we took during our 27 day cruise. We were deceived by the tour company and they refused to make good on their side of the agreement. In retrospect, we should have kept the entire amount beyond the deposit we had sent them in advance since we were captives for a full day. Our trip to Panama was ruined and we were left with negative thoughts about the tourist business in Panama. There needs to be more policing of companies that are out there to deceive and fleece tourists because such practices reflect poorly on Panama which, with a good guide, would probably be the highlight of any cruise. We have traveled throughout the world and have never run into a tour operator that promises one thing, takes your money and then delivers an inferior product. Shame on them!!!

Name any place in the world . . . some folks will find it "boring." There are people that find anything different and outside of their comfort zone "boring" or whatever. Some folks find cruising itself "boring." Many folks consider reading "boring" . . .

I'd be careful making a decision just based on what a few people say. Good reason to peruse Cruise Critic thoroughly and other online sources as well.

Regards, Richard

If you have the chance, you need to go through the canal at least once. After you do it once, then I would say it is personal preference if you wanted to do it again. I have transited it once from Carb to Pacific, but after my last experiences (2nd time, no transit) at the canal a simple passage could possibly be kind of boring. But I say this because I have had a personal tour of the locks. I have walked across the lock door (not the drive across part, but the skinny doors with the rails the pop up), been to the control building in between the canals and seen the 1914 controls vs the current control used today, been in the machine shops and such, not just stuck in the tourist "Aquarium". So a simple passage would possibly be boring now after actually being into places very few tourist go. Not that I wouldn't do another passage, but I think I might be to critical of the tour guide, when my last tour was done on a 1 tourist to 2 employee/guide ratio. (Before you ask there is no way to book this tour, it was done by a personal friend who lives in panama and works for the canal. It took a week to get the security clearance for it)

To bad most of the cruise line are no longer even going into the locks. RCCL announced they will no longer go through, turn around and go back. So to go through is an extra $150 per person or more tour now.

We just returned from cruising the Panama Canal - twice (full transit). We did the 28 day San Diego to Fort Lauderdale then return.

Everyone has a different opinion of what they are looking for in a cruise. We all have our own likes and dislikes - it doesn't make us right or wrong - we just have different tastes.

We - loved the Panama Canal. It was just as interesting coming back through as it was going through a week and a half earlier. We were interested in the mechanics and dynamics of how the locks worked and found it fascinating that it was built with such rudimentary equipment in severe conditions so long ago.

Also, we were intrigued to see the new locks being built. They are such a large project with massive equipment. It puts the enormity of what was achieved at the turn of the century into perspective.

The first time through we spent the majority of the day on deck enjoying everything - the channel up to the locks as the sun came up, the Bridge of the Americas, the locks, the Centennial Bridge, the shoreline, the animal life (crocs and birds), the dredging of the canal for the new locks - and on and on and on.

The second time through we were on deck for each of the locks (I am fascinated with watching the different ships being raised and lowered around you) but did go inside for lunch while cruising some of the lake. But we did return to the deck time and again as various landmarks were passed.

We cruise for the scenery, history, and culture of the areas we travel to more than for the on board entertainment or activities. The canal is rich in all these areas, so we are engaged and stimulated by it. Others have different interests when they go to a site, so may see it another way. For us, it met our expectations and more.

Decide for yourself if it will be right for you. If you are interested in history and want to see a great engineering marvel, they will be well worth the trip. If not, you may be disappointed and find them boring as others have stated.

Do a bit of research then decide if you feel compelled to see for yourself. We were interested - and weren't disappointed.:)

My trip through the Canal was one of the best days of my life and when I got home I had to find out as much as I could about it. So I read 'The Path Between the Seas' and did as much research as I could to make this two-parter on the history of the canal.

Part 1

Part 2

Sorry for my rather weedy voiceover - my microphone was rubbish !

We've got to keep spreading the word about how great the Panama Canal is.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading the comments on this subject. We plan to book a Panama Canal cruise in 2011 and we are trying to decide if we should do a partial or ful transit. Some people say you should do both to get the full experience because they both have good points. If we decide to do both which one should we do first?

We really enjoyed this cruise. We took our 3 year old son and he was even fascinated by the locomotives the pull along side of the boat. I have some fantastic photos from it!!

Have to recommend the Embera Indian Village....it was the highlight of our entire cruise!

Check out some photos here:

http://bethwildphotographyblog.com/?p=1809

• 3 weeks later...

Came back to this board because have a partial transit cruise on the Island Princess booked for February, 2011. In the past 13 years of cruising, my husband and I have been on full transit cruises of the canal six times. We have enjoyed and not been bored by any of the cruises. We have gone west to east and east to west. On the third cruise, in 2002, I thought I would just relax and not bother with hanging over a rail viewing the locks. I was there watching just as much as before! We have noticed the changes over the years. Our first sight of the Centennial Bridge was a great surprise. On our last cruise, in December, 2009, we were avidly watching the digging of the new lock area down to the level of the water in the canal. As I used to tell my students -- There are people who are bored; but there are no boring places!

• 3 weeks later...
I would not imagine anyone sitting there all day.

Also, when doing a transit you are not allowed to take any private excursions.

thats basically what we did and alot of the ship did on our December cruise:)it was FANTASTIC...not just the Panama Canal but the whole itinerary the whole cruise...hubby was right up front for hrs one of the first out there and didnt leave for hrs...it just was an AWESOME day!!

one day we want to go back and do a partial so we can get off the ship and SEE what we were sailing by:D

EVERYONE who has CRUISED alot that we have talked to ranks the Panama Canal cruise as the ONE that you have to EXPERIENCE...i totally AGREE:)

We didn't have a choice because of the relative durations of the cruise, but our TA recommended the partial transit first because of the tour options available in the middle. Apparently some full transits go straight through. She suggested an itinerary with a 2 day canal stop if you go the full transit route.

One other thought is look at the ports and sea days involved. As I noted, we didn't really have a choice, but we actually like the selection of ports on the Partial better - We're sailing on the Island Oct 10, 2011.. Join us!

I enjoyed reading the comments on this subject. We plan to book a Panama Canal cruise in 2011 and we are trying to decide if we should do a partial or ful transit. Some people say you should do both to get the full experience because they both have good points. If we decide to do both which one should we do first?

We just returned from a wonderful Emerald Princess cruise. (More about that on other threads).

One of our future cruise goals was the Panama Canal.

Imagine our surprise when one of our new tablemates declared traversing the canal was "like watching paint dry". I was kind of shocked. Isn't this one of mankind's greatest feats, a technological marvel that took years and that cost many thousands of lives?

Okay, we thought, just one person's opinion.

Later in the week we sat with a new couple at lunch who described their trip through the canal as "very boring".

We still have that cruise on our list. BUT, what do you people think?

Thumbs up or down?:confused:

I've been on fourteen cruises. My Panama Canal cruise is one of my two favorites. In fact, I'll likely book it again. Here is my review (it is kind of long) ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38933

I give it several thumbs up ...

thumbs-up1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!! Some people think that watching tv all day is exciting. I was out on the bow very early for our transit. It started to sprinkle but I wasn't moving. I am not an engineer but I was very impressed with the mechanics and I did watch the History Channel story on the canal a couple of times. I would go again tomorrow. I am sure I missed a few things!:D

• 2 weeks later...

My husband was very afraid it would be boring going throught he canal too, but he actually enjoyed it a lot. There was plenty to see along the way, both historic and scenic, and the narration on deck helped as well.

If it really is boring to you, just relax and treat it as a sea day--we love those too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question for everyone. We are going thru the Panama Canal on RC next month. We are debating on doing an excursion or staying on the ship for the full transit. Has anyone taken an excursion part way thru and, if so, what did you think? Never having been thru the canal, we don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

Betty

First, out of full disclosure I stayed on for the complete transit since my prime interest was the Canal. I can also appreciate that some folks would like to maximize their cruise and be able to take in as much as possible. Let me briefly explain the process of taking tours on the day of the transit. The ship will arrive in the Gatun Lake anchorage a little after 12 noon, passengers who have booked tours will tender off the ship to meet their tour. The Gatun Lake anchorage is within sight of the Gatun Locks and at this point you will have been through about 80% of the Canal. In my opinion you will have been through the most scenic and visually dramatic portions of the Canal. Seeing the skyline of Panama City, locking through the Pacific Locks, the passage through Gaillard Cut and the sail across Gatun Lake... lots to see. What you will miss is the lockage through Gatun Locks and about 5 miles of channel to the dock in Colon. I don't want to sell Gatun Locks short because it is the biggest locks on the Canal, perhaps this is the portion you could "give up" and not feel too badly about your decision. It really depends on where your interests are and whether or not you want bragging rights of a complete transit of the Canal;):D. You just may have to book another trip to the area to take it all in!!!

Passengers who are tours will rejoin the ship in Colon.

I have a question for everyone. We are going thru the Panama Canal on RC next month. We are debating on doing an excursion or staying on the ship for the full transit. Has anyone taken an excursion part way thru and, if so, what did you think? Never having been thru the canal, we don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

Betty

Bill seems to have summed up the choices very well. I'm sure the tours off the ship from Gatun Lake - Colon will be very interesting but Gatun Locks is the most visually striking lock because it lowers the ship in 2 stages. Post 31 has links to a 2-part film showing the full transit, with Gatun Locks featuring towards the end of part 2, if that helps you decide. Either choice would be good. I am only likely to go through the canal once and didn't have the nous to consider your question before my transit so the dilemma didn't arise for me. On reflection I would still choose to stay on board as I wanted to 'record' all 50 miles of it, but it's a marginal decision as I don't know what I missed by doing this. Presumably you know the content of these off-ship tours, and as Bill says you're only missing that final lock having seen the most of the main 'sights'.

Come back here and let us know what you did !

Bill - in post 32 you mentioned a book by Matthew Parker. Have you read it and if so what's your verdict i.e. is it worth a look ? (I've read TPBTS)

"Bill - in post 32 you mentioned a book by Matthew Parker. Have you read it and if so what's your verdict i.e. is it worth a look ? (I've read TPBTS)"

No I haven't, I just went and fished it off the shelf, maybe a good time to read it.

Archived