Living it Up on Independence of the Seas! 8-nt Eastern REVIEW-lots of pics & detail!

nenner1

We wondered who was in that room! :D

Thanks for an excellent review, and time taken to post with photos.

Savannah received our cheers when she got up on her knees.

Beautiful family!

What happened in the FlowRider competition towards the end of the cruise?

I missed it as I was injured :(

Don: How would I have known which family was posting this wonderful review of our cruise, if they had not posted photos?

If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything.

First - thanks so much - great review! greatly appreciate your time and effort in posting this!

you mentioned that on Labadee that Barefoot beach was restricted to suite guests, as well as diamond and diamond plus (I believe) - is this the case? I had heard it was ONLY for suite guests. was there a sign posted? how did that work to get in?

Thanks so much!!!

Yes, there is a wall blocking it off and a gate with a sign that says something like "This area is restricted to guests with a Gold Seapass Card" I think it also says something about concierge and I*think* it says Crown & Anchor but I could be wrong. It definintely says gold seapass and concierge. Early in the day when we passed (10:30) there were two staff members at the date who appeared to be checking cards. Later in the day the gate was ajar and unattended (I should have gone in LOL) If I am wrong about D and D+ I am sorry...I think they can rent the cabanas there if there is availability. Not sure about D and D+ just using the beach without cabanas. I'm sorry I wish I had taken a pic of the sign.

:o

Thanks for taking the time to write a report of your wonderful trip. I enjoyed reading about the experiences that you and your family had on board the Independence of the Seas as well as your time spent pre-cruise. Please know that it was greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading, I am so glad you enjoyed it!:)

Thank you nenner1--this is great!

You are so welcome, have a great cruise!!! :)

Great Review and pictures!!!!

P.S - Ignore the acid-tounged remarks by Don. He posts that way on many threads

Thanks so much for reading! I LOL'ed at Don's comment...I am just happy people are reading it, I thought I would spend all the time writing it and it would drop off the fromt page right away..ha ha! :)

Great review. I wish that Freedom would do an 8-day itin. We are always saying how we need another day or two! You should definitely give Freedom a try--Port Canaveral was extremely efficient for both embarkation & debarkation--20 minutes each way for us, and that was on a full-capacity holiday sailing! P.S. I really enjoyed the pix of your kids, they all looked so happy & cute. Mine are 14 & 16, not so cute anymore:D

Yep, I <3 Port Canaveral. I am actually hoping we can just "pop" on Freedom someday without planning it way in advance like our other cruises. I may be dreaming but.....;) Thanks so much for reading!!

This actually made my jaw drop. Wow. Boggles my mind.

I enjoyed the reviews and the pics. I'm not staying at her port hotel, but it's nice to see in case I do.

I'm also not doing any of the excursions, but apparently myself and others enjoyed it.

And her kids are gorgeous, no wonder she wants to show them off.

Aww, thanks so much for that! :) Thanks so much for reading, and I am so glad you enjoed it!!

Wonderful review. I also LIKED you pre-cruise photos, helped with our descion in pre-cruise hotels. Thanks

Thanks so much, I'm glad the review was able to help you! :)

Loved your review. Thanks for all the details. We're trying to decide what to do with the car. DH & I are travelling wtih 2 teen age girls and everyone knows they can't bring more than they can carry themselves up and/or down steps. I can't decide what to do about hotel and parking. We will be sailing on the Indy the same day as the Oasis sails so I've been warned it may be crazy. Cost isn't as important as convenience and minimal hassel factor. My biggest concern is disembarking the quickest and getting on the road ASAP for our 15 hour drive home. We will do self disembark so not sure what the taxi line would be like at that time.

Thank you!

Hmm, yep it was crazy. I'm not sure you can do anything to avoid it. Oasis was there the same day as us too, but they are way across the channel at a different terminal and AFAIK it didn't affect us (unless that was why the apparent shortage of porters). The best advice I can give as far as embarking is try to bring minimal carryons. We had like 4 or 5 and one was very heavy from the soda we brought. That was what was really frustrating us after we got the luggage dropped off. That drop off area is just really disorganized, but once your stuff is dropped off that part is over. My honest opinion I think dealing with a shuttle if you have girls with a lot of bags (LOL and I know I am teaching mine to overpack well ;)) would be worse, if you were thinking about staying at a hotel that allows duration parking. Keep that in mind if you are considering the Park-n-fly by the airport too. It is cheaper and you get one free day but we decided to just park at the terminal so we wouldn't have to deal with the shuttle and all of our bags. As many times as I've read to skip the craziness getting to the port and getting on the boat early- to get there in the early afternoon instead and walk right on, etc. I think maybe next time we might try that. Even the porter the last day said something to the effect of "and these fools think they need to be here so early" of the people arriving. We LOL'ed b/c of course, we were some of those fools ourselves 8 days earlier! Taking a taxi though..may not be so horrible.

As far as debarkation goes, I have read it is much, much better getting a taxi earlier in the morning for self-debark. Of course I would think getting the car and getting out would also be easier. Some of the problems and craziness appear to be debarkees still getting out and embarkees already beginning to arrive in the later morning hours. There isn't any of that going on that early.

So I don't know how much that helps you with your dilemma. Don't let it stress you too much, though . Have a great cruise! :)

It totally amazed me that was the only comment that he could think to make after reading through this review. There really are some things in this world that can make you just shake your head in disbelief.
Oh thanks.:) Its Ok though. LIke I said I am thrilled this review has been read so much!

Thanks Kelly Mae for the great revue - we leave on the Indy on Saturday

See ya then Ocean Boy - lol:)

Have a wonderful cruise!!! :)

Wow, fantastic review, lovely pictures and well written. Children look beautiful.:)

Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it!:)

We wondered who was in that room! :D

LOL...yep that was us! :D

Thanks for an excellent review, and time taken to post with photos.

Savannah received our cheers when she got up on her knees.

Beautiful family!

Oh thanks so much! :)

What happened in the FlowRider competition towards the end of the cruise?

I missed it as I was injured :(

I wasn't there either since I was packing, but Ron did see some of it (he wasn't in it). I guess a 17-year old boy won, Ron said that boy and his dad were out at the flowrider all the time. He said the boy who won had managed to get soo good- that at the very beginning of the cruise they were both at the the same level (having never been on a flowrider before).

(It is going to be hard keeping Ron & the kids away from the flowrider we have in the mall here in Tampa. LOL.!)

Don: How would I have known which family was posting this wonderful review of our cruise, if they had not posted photos?

If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything.

Hee hee, I did think twice about it before posting the door pics I was thinking "Oh man now everyone is going to know that was US with the screaming kid" LOL!!! ;) Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you had a great cruise!!!!:)

I guess a 17-year old boy won, Ron said that boy and his dad were out at the flowrider all the time.

Ah, Patrick! I am glad he won.

He really worked hard at it.

Some days he would look like he had been in mixed martial arts fight!

We have a SkiRixen down here in South Fl. But no FlowRider yet. I did see there was one on Orlando too.

I am just looking forward to get another chance in December on the Liberty.

Ah, Patrick! I am glad he won.

He really worked hard at it.

Some days he would look like he had been in mixed martial arts fight!

We have a SkiRixen down here in South Fl. But no FlowRider yet. I did see there was one on Orlando too.

I am just looking forward to get another chance in December on the Liberty.

Enjoy your time on Liberty in Dec! :D We booked Allure for next yr- Can't wait!!

PS- love your avatar!

Thanks for the pictures. I was on the Indy last week.

Thanks for reading! Wasn't Indy wonderful? :)

Thanks so much for the review. We are sailing over Easter and this is our first Freedom class ship. Truly appreciated ALL your pictures! ;):D Loved the pictures of Trunk Bay. I REALLY want to go there but the trip sounds exhausting...and my DH doesn't like to venture that far with so many modes of transportation. Maybe I'll check the ships excursion as I *think* it leaves straight from the pier.

Again, thanks for the review. :D

Mary

Liberty is doing the 8 night out of Miami, a port that we found easier to embark and disembark than Fort Lauderdale's Terminal 25. We sailed on FOS from there in 2008 and are booked on Liberty for Feb. 2011. As you can see from our signatures, we are booked on 2 more Freedom out of Port Canaveral as we love the port also -- very easy and efficient (and 4 1/2 hours from us) We sailed on Freedom in Jan and last August from Port C and sailed 4 Mariner cruises out of that port prior to her be repositioned to California.

Thanks so much for the review. We are sailing over Easter and this is our first Freedom class ship. Truly appreciated ALL your pictures! ;):D Loved the pictures of Trunk Bay. I REALLY want to go there but the trip sounds exhausting...and my DH doesn't like to venture that far with so many modes of transportation. Maybe I'll check the ships excursion as I *think* it leaves straight from the pier.

Mary

Hi Mary, We did the ship's excursion to Trunk Bay for the same reasons you stated, it was easy and convenient. Trunk Bay is really beautiful, it is ABSOLUTELY a must see! Next time, however, I think that we will do it on our own. We would have loved more time on the beach (had about an hour) Props to the OP for going through all that w/three little ones in tow!

I also was on this cruise as one of the fan club members for Daylin James, an Elvis Tribute Artist. (He wore the black jump suit during the afternoon benefit concert discussed above.) Our group had a wonderful holiday, made even more special because of the extra shows we had with the 3 Elvis Tribute Artists. More cruises featuring the Elvis TA are coming up. Here is a link that provides more information: http://www.cruisingwiththeking.com/

We all thought the service, entertainment, ship, food, etc. was excellent on this cruise and look forward to our next cruise with RCCL. Special mention should also be made regarding Joff Eaton. He was fabulous and I can't imagine another Cruise Director to be more entertaining or personable.

Thanks also for your wonderful review! You certainly have a gift for writing and recalling details.

Hi Mary, We did the ship's excursion to Trunk Bay for the same reasons you stated, it was easy and convenient. Trunk Bay is really beautiful, it is ABSOLUTELY a must see! Next time, however, I think that we will do it on our own. We would have loved more time on the beach (had about an hour) Props to the OP for going through all that w/three little ones in tow!

Thanks for this info. It seems a bit pricey but I guess it's pure convenience (and RCCL excursion prices :D). I did hear others complain about not having enough time on the beach. I think the excursion says only 45 minutes. :eek: And yes, props to the OP. Can't even imagine doing it with 3 little ones! So it's taxi, ferry and taxi to get there, right? Maybe I'll start planting the seed now. ;):)

Mary

WOW! What a fantastic review. We are looking at booking the Liberty 8 night sailing for next Feb. (We just got off the Liberty last Sunday). How was the weather on your first and last sea day in Jan? Was it warm enough to tan up on deck 12 (just above the pool area) and not blow away or have to be huddled with your towel around you to keep warm? We did the Jewel 8 night back in Jan 29, 05, and it was a bit chilly. I am thinking it would be better weather (a little warmer) the first week of March, but the rest of the family likes to go first of feb.

I am thinking you must be a writer in your spare time, LOL, after you take care of the kiddies and your DH. So glad you enjoyed your time on the Independance with your family.

I've read most of your very lengthy reivew of the 8-night Caribbean cruise that we too were on! Except we were part of the "Cruising with the King" group, so we got to see all the Elvis shows (like "Canuck Flo," who has also replied). I'm pictured in on the left side of the one you took of the "back side" of the Elvis (Brad Boice) in the On Air Theatre when you were leaving the ice show, but our special Elvis was/is Daylin James, the one in the black and blue jumpsuit in the one show you saw (and earlier in the gold lame). Next year you should plan to do "Cruising with the King" yourselves, for a difference experience -- it will be on the Allure of the Seas! Reading your review brought back many happy memories of our own experience so thanks for such detail -- you did much more sightseeing than we did since we spent so much of our time just visiting with friends. And you're brave to do the cruise with three children! Hope they'll all remember it forever, as we will.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and great revied, just booked our first RCI cruise have cruised disney before and had some concerns but you've put them all to rest and am now very excited.

Donaldsc, if you don't like it don't read it and don't be so rude when someone has clearly taken time to help all other cruise critics.

Mary

Hi Mary, yes I definitely recommend the ship's excursion if it is available to you. In all honesty it costs about the same (it is a little bit more to go through the ship but worth it for the reason you mentioned!). We could not take it because they had a minimum age of 5. However you decide to get there, Trunk Bay is worth the effort to get there!! Hope that helps, thanks for reading! :)

That's kind of rude. She wrote a great review.

Oh, he's one of those.

LOL! :p Thanks so much for reading!!!

Any chance you were able to post the compass? We are looking to book either the mystery dinner or maybe just chops and would like to see a more recent compass so we can plan better.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't gotten to it yet. :o Sorry, my daughter has a dance competition this weekend so I have been busy, busy altering costumes all week! I will get them scanned and posted ASAP- hopefully early next week. :) I know how important they are to everyone trying to plan. Thanks so much for reading!

Liberty is doing the 8 night out of Miami, a port that we found easier to embark and disembark than Fort Lauderdale's Terminal 25. We sailed on FOS from there in 2008 and are booked on Liberty for Feb. 2011. As you can see from our signatures, we are booked on 2 more Freedom out of Port Canaveral as we love the port also -- very easy and efficient (and 4 1/2 hours from us) We sailed on Freedom in Jan and last August from Port C and sailed 4 Mariner cruises out of that port prior to her be repositioned to California.

That's good to know about Liberty and Miami. I am holding out hope we can just pop onboard Librty or Freedom some week just on a whim! :D

LOL, Thanks! ;) It wasn't too terrible, though. It is actually so easy to get the taxis, I love the way they do it there. I wish all the ports had the safari bus thing going on. Its quick and easy and I like the fixed price (if it is a bit high). Thanks so much for reading!

Archived