Scavi Tour of Excavations Beneath St. Peter's

foxeysandy

I'm very interested in this tour, but would like to include my mother, who has some difficulty climbing stairs. Will someone who has participated in this please let me know about the stairs involved in getting down to the excavations, including about how many there are, how steep and if there are sturdy railings? May I assume there is no elevator?

Thanks,

Sandy

I don't remember any major climbing of stairs. It was very tourist-oriented, in fact it reminded me of Disney, it was so perfectly staged, with glass walls and little models on display.

The catacombs outside the city along the Appian Way were more raw and untouched, and much more interesting to me personally. So if you can't do the Scavi tour I highly recommend taking a tour out to one of them.

I do not know definitely whether there is an elevator or not; I certainly did not see one but perhaps there is one tucked away somewhere.

That said, there are a flight (perhaps not a full flight) of relatively steep stairs just after the tour starts when you go down to the necropolis level. Because I don't have mobility issues, I did not notice how sturdy the handrail was, but I'm pretty sure that there was one.

Once down on the necropolis level, the walking is fairly flat, although there may be a step or two up or down as you walk around this level. It is a bit of a tight squeeze to get to the viewing area closest to the presumed tomb of St. Peter, but the rest of the tour on this level wasn't too bad.

At the end of the tour, you are still on the lower level but in the area where the popes are buried. There are stairs from here that will bring you up and into the basilica itself. These steps, as I recall, are modern and were less difficult to ascend.

If no one here is able to answer the question, I suggest you go to the Rome forum on Tripadvisor.com and ask there as there are several local Vatican guides that frequently answer questions.

Good luck! I really enjoyed the Scavi tour as have most people that have done it.

I had the completely opposite experience. I was amazed by the tour and count it a major highlight of our European tour. We went out to the catacombs afterward, several day later, and I felt it was not nearly as interesting--so to each his own. Cruise Mom's descripton of the conditions is exactly what we experienced, and there are even more steep stairs at the catacombs.

Also, they limit the Scavi tour to 12; I asked our guide (English speaking girl from Poland) at the catacombs about limiting access, and she implied that they get as many people in there as possible and it is not uncommon for her to lead groups of as many as 50; which she says is a less-than-optimal situation since only the people in front can hear her. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Cathy

I believe the OP is speaking about the Vatican Scavi tour which is totally different than the Rome Catacombs. The Scavi tour can only be booked directly with the Vatican and there is no guarantee that you can even get the tour since they only have a small number of groups per say (only about a dozen per group) and only a few of those groups are for English speaking folks. As to the Scavi, it is down below St Peters and is entered from a small office on the left side of St Peters (looking towards the basilica). There are a number of narrow steps to get down to the scavi (excavation) area and this would not be a good tour for anyone with mobility issues. There is no elevator, escalator, etc.

Hank

I believe the OP is speaking about the Vatican Scavi tour which is totally different than the Rome Catacombs. The Scavi tour can only be booked directly with the Vatican and there is no guarantee that you can even get the tour since they only have a small number of groups per say (only about a dozen per group) and only a few of those groups are for English speaking folks. As to the Scavi, it is down below St Peters and is entered from a small office on the left side of St Peters (looking towards the basilica). There are a number of narrow steps to get down to the scavi (excavation) area and this would not be a good tour for anyone with mobility issues. There is no elevator, escalator, etc.

Hank

You are right--I was addressing the poster who recommended the catacombs in place of the Scavi.

Cathy

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and information! We are probably going to do a Rome in Limo tour that day with Angels and Demons for half the time and had already planned to go to the St. Calisto catacombs later in the day. I think I'll put in a request for the Scavi tour, just in case we get lucky and can work the time into our plans. My mom, who can't handle stairs well, will either do it with us if she's having a good day or wait with the driver. Either way, I'm sure she'll be fine:).

• 2 weeks later...
So do you need to go through the main security door for St Peter's before going to the Excavations Office?

No. When facing the entrance to the Basilica, go around to the left side where you will see a Swiss guard. Present your confirmation to him and you will be allowed to pass down a short path to the Scavi office, which will be on your right.

No. When facing the entrance to the Basilica, go around to the left side where you will see a Swiss guard. Present your confirmation to him and you will be allowed to pass down a short path to the Scavi office, which will be on your right.

You will be allowed to proceed to the office only 15 minutes before your scheduled time. The St Peter's Bascilica gift shop is nearby and a good place to wait while browsing.

You will be allowed to proceed to the office only 15 minutes before your scheduled time. The St Peter's Bascilica gift shop is nearby and a good place to wait while browsing.

And they do mean it. --we arrived a few minutes early and were told to wait. We just sat on the steps of St. Peters and enjoyed the glory of it all!

Fabulous tour--we also climbed to the top of the dome for a fabulous view and the best photo of the day beforehand.

I did this tour four years ago and do have some mobility issues due to knee replacements. I use a cane and had no problems. It is a good tour. Your mom should be ok.

Thanks so much--I think you're right; Mom's quite a "trooper" anyway. I made the request a couple weeks ago, then sent in a follow-up to add one more name to our list. I hope that didn't hurt my case:eek:! I haven't heard anything back yet. Please keep your fingers crossed for us.

Archived