Clothes Irons - Don't even consider bringing on-board !!

We've taken a travel iron on every cruise we've been on and not once had it confiscated, either they are not looking properly or they are not that bothered - however, they ALWAYS find any alcohol you bring on board :rolleyes:

I anticipate it being confiscated every time, but it hasn't been so far, so I will keep taking it, and using it ever so carefully, until it is

Interesting philosophy. As long as you don't get caught, everything is just fine.:rolleyes: If and when it is confiscated, will you continue to take it on subsequent cruises?

I suppose that a logical extension of that argument would be that you can continue running red lights until you are stopped by the police or involved in a collision. :eek: After all they are only rules and aren't meant to apply to people like you, because you are "careful". Perhaps you should read the definition of "accidents" sometime. They frequently happen to people, even those who are being careful.

It doesn't matter if it's a silly rule (it's not). It doesn't matter if you think hair dryers or curling irons pose the same risk (they don't). It doesn't matter if you think it's a strategy to get more money (it's not).

It does matter that it is a rule. And say what you want, but subverting it is pretty low class. But at least you'll be an unwrinkled, low class cruiser:D

I totally agree with the last part, but am confuzzed on the first... how are hair dryers and curling irons not in the same risk category? Especially the curling iron.

And, really, anything that is plugged in is at risk of starting a fire.

i brought a travel iron on board, that was in its own pouch, in my checked luggage. We got called down to the 'naughty' room to open the suitcase because security found something. Of course we knew why, but when we got there he said, "we're not sure what's in there; looks like a gun." :eek:

A gun? Really?

how are hair dryers and curling irons not in the same risk category? Especially the curling iron.

The iron is much heavier, and therefore can distribute more heat, increasing the potential to start a fire. Drop a curling iron on the rug, and it will likely leave a burn mark. But drop and iron, and being heavier, it has more heat to put off, and therefore increases the likelihood of actual fire instead of simple a burn mark. A curling iron on a carpet will dissipate it's heat and cool off a lot faster than an iron will.

If you don't want to think about the physics, then consider the statistics. Far more residential fires are started by irons than curling irons.

As far as anything that is plugged in being a risk, that's true, but it's not all the same risk. It's about the power drawn. And an iron draws more power than a hair dryer or curling iron.

I totally agree with the last part, but am confuzzed on the first... how are hair dryers and curling irons not in the same risk category? Especially the curling iron.

The iron is much heavier, and therefore can distribute more heat, increasing the potential to start a fire. Drop a curling iron on the rug, and it will likely leave a burn mark. But drop and iron, and being heavier, it has more heat to put off, and therefore increases the likelihood of actual fire instead of simple a burn mark. A curling iron on a carpet will dissipate it's heat and cool off a lot faster than an iron will.

If you don't want to think about the physics, then consider the statistics. Far more residential fires are started by irons than curling irons.

As far as anything that is plugged in being a risk, that's true, but it's not all the same risk. It's about the power drawn. And an iron draws more power than a hair dryer or curling iron.

The amount of power something draws doesn't relate to its fire risk. The power consumed by the cruise ship is much greater than any clothes iron could possibly be.

Therefore... if using more power made something a greater fire hazard... they would never plug the cruise ships into those long extension cords they use for electricity when at sea and away from the port.:D

Before this discussion gets any more "heated" (pun intended), we should distinguish between a steamer and an iron.

Travel steamers use very little electricity, usually turn themselves off when not in use for a period of time, and are not hot to the touch. I have one.

RCCL's list refers to:

"Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates "

Please don't take this wrong, it's just the geek in me was a bit intrigued!

Weight has nothing to do with heat distribution. The thick sole of the home clothing iron becomes heat soaked and stays hot longer. Travel irons do not have the thick heavy sole plate of a home iron and so cool MUCH quicker. We will (in a hotel, not a ship!) set ours on a wet wash cloth to cool - about 2 min and it is touchable.

Both irons (travel and curling) heat up to a similar temp of roughly 400°F and so have the same amount of potential with the curling iron cooling slightly quicker than the travel iron when left to their own devices.

The USFA doesn't differentiate between curling and clothing iron started fires (an iron is an iron but they have a category for electric razors!) and lump those into an "appliance" category, so to claim one as having a higher incident rate is kinda pulling numbers out of the air. But as I cannot provide solid numbers I cannot say with authority which starts more fires. Google provides more spectacular photos of curling iron started fires for what it is worth.

In the end, the rules are the rules - leave the irons at home (and the razors, too, apparently :D) and take every precaution to insure that your curling irons are cool before heading off for the evenings activities. Common sense.

And to the people who bring the 37 outlet power strip along, unplug it before heading out and consider the load you're putting on the outlet. All it takes is for the GFI to fail and you burn the boat down! How popular will you be then?

Good gawd.

Can we on Cruise Critic agree to a protocol where someone once a week posts a thread that says "The Iron Thread" to which everyone agrees no one will reply because everyone had said the same things over and over and over already?

Wouldn't that apply to 89.34% of the posts on CC?:rolleyes:

Heck I rarely iron at home, why would I even bother with an iron on a cruise, then I would have to bring the ironing board. :eek: Oh lets not forget the starch :D

I just recalled a time we ate at the airport and had them save the meat, they cutely rolled it in tin foil shaped like an iron, I told them at security, don't worry about that item it was my left over steak. LOL

Those who are caught with irons should be allowed to keep them, but you have to work in the laundry and press everyone's clothes.

Next you will suggest anyone caught smuggling alcohol will have to buy everyone else's drinks :eek:.... Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Maybe everyone in D.C. isn't crazy after all.

Next you will suggest anyone caught smuggling alcohol will have to buy everyone else's drinks :eek:.... Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Maybe everyone in D.C. isn't crazy after all.

I think anyone caught with liquor should have to chug it right then and there. And you can't board the ship until it's all gone!

I don't think the people caught with irons would mind having to iron other people's clothes. The people who seem so intent on bringing them are the ones who so desperately need to iron anyway.

Full size! I mean a big, honking, black coffee maker. It was just sitting there waiting for someone to come along, say "that's mine" and pack it in a suitcase. Like that's going to happen.

A coffee maker?? Seriously?

Full size! I mean a big, honking, black coffee maker. It was just sitting there waiting for someone to come along, say "that's mine" and pack it in a suitcase. Like that's going to happen.

I'm sorry ...that's just wrong.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D

Why don't you grow up. It IS their ship,their rules, abide by it or dont use their service. They have every right in the world to make a profit no matter how they do it legally.

I am grown up thats why I dont like being treated like a child. In every other vacation you take, irons are allowed, the safety issue does not wash with me, I take a travel iron with very little wattage approx 110 w, hair straightners approx 1400w.

And seen as you made a personal comment to me, why dont you mind your own business, who are you to tell me what to do.

I am grown up thats why I dont like being treated like a child. In every other vacation you take, irons are allowed, the safety issue does not wash with me, I take a travel iron with very little wattage approx 110 w, hair straightners approx 1400w.

And seen as you made a personal comment to me, why dont you mind your own business, who are you to tell me what to do.

This is a message board and people are allowed to comment on posts. Being a responsible adult is following rules and laws. As others have stated their ship their rules. I hope your irons are confisicated and all phrohibited items. Good for the cruiselines for enforcing their rules.

This is a message board and people are allowed to comment on posts. Being a responsible adult is following rules and laws. As others have stated their ship their rules. I hope your irons are confisicated and all phrohibited items. Good for the cruiselines for enforcing their rules.

Sorry I dont agree, being a responsible adult doesnt always mean following the rules. There are many times in my life it was the right thing not to.

And my iron got through no problem.

I was objecting to the person telling me what to do like they are the law. No they are not, they can advise and I will make my own mind up.

The problem on cc at times is that there are people that think they can order you to do what they think is correct.:rolleyes:

If all the people that smuggled booze, took irons or other so called banned items were banned, the cruiseline would have quite a few empty rooms.

Archived