What is a romance suite?

Floridamom

I called three different people at NCL to ask what is different about an AD (romance suite)? No one seems to know. One girl told me she thinks it's done in red. I asked her why she thought that and she said, "isn't red the color of romance?" I asked her if she knew this or was making it up. "Hold on, please" was her response. Fifteen minutes later I hung up and called back. Next person read me the discription as if that should explain it. When I said the AE read the same she said, "well it's set up for romance".

"Do they send up a cute guy or what? What's the romance part?" I asked. She giggled and said she didn't know. Hung up and called back. Last one said it's the same as the AE just one deck higher.

Anyone know the real answer???

I'd love to get the skinny on this too, as we are booked in one for May. I think the difference is that it is a slightly bigger suite than the others and includes butler service. Does that sound right?

Swoosh2005, I believe you were just in one on the Dawn--do you know? And how was it?! Was it great?

Greenie

My husband and I stayed in a Romance Suite on the Star in December 2003. It was gorgeous...I didn't see the AE suites, but I can tell you that our suite was really incredible. There is butler service, and the balconies are great (at least on the Star, where the suite was on the back of the ship and the balcony was quite large).

It seems that one of the differences between AE and AD suites is that the AD suites have whirlpool tubs (at least according to descriptions, which we all know aren't always right on). :) But, I believe that the decor is one of the biggest differences. The suite we were in, and the others I saw next to us, were all decorated in very rich colors and fabrics. Our suite had gold silk wallpaper, and the woods were dark. One of the other romance suites had a really nice purple tone to it, with a smoky lavender color wallpaper. But certainly not the bright, fresh colors you normally get in cruise staterooms. It definitely felt luxurious. :)

I don't know if that helps...I do know that before we cruised, I found a picture online of our suite, so I'll see if I can find it again to show you what I mean in the decor. But if you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask. I'll be sure to check back. :)

We were in this cabin 2yrs ago - and absolutely loved it because the decor was fun, the cabin was the most spacious that I have been in (compared to a sky suite on Celebrity Infinity) and the balcony was also a great size (larger than normal.

My only criticism was that in my brochure when I booked, it stated a whirlpool tub in the bathroom - and when we got there is was just a tub (and shower). Do check carefully if this is important to you as I beleive this varies from ship to ship with NCL in their AD suites. One nice touch is that the bath tub/Shower had a frosted perspex sliding enclosure, and the toilet also has a separate door within the bathroom - so two people could use both facilities at the same time in complete privacy.

It was beautifully decorated - much more stylish than the photos in the above link. The walls were mainly a cherry wood colour and we had a faux fur zebra pattern bedspread and striking paintings on the wall in bold reds/blues/black/white colours, and a black and white table and chairs with a white leatherette type seat covers. All this was complemented with blue walls and a red carpet (might have been the other way round). It might sound garish - but it really wasn't.

I's not a style/colour combination I would have thought of to decorate my bedroom at home - but I really liked it and would love to have the courage to decorate our bedroom like this. I would definitely class it a "romantic" (and not at all tacky) in furnishing styles/fabrics etc. And as far as I can remember, each of these romance suites are decorated individually, whereas the other suites are more standard in decor.

We had a butler, who served breakfasts/dinners etc (pretty much whatever was on any of the main dining room menus) on nice white tablecloths etc, and some evenings we'd get canapes/cheese plate / strawberries in chocolate etc.

We also had lovely toiletries, with cotton buds and cotton wool balls and all the usual lotions etc, dressing gowns, priority tender tickets, invites to cocktail hours. There's also a kettle in the room, and the butler always made sure we had fresh milk so I could make myself a cup of tea (we're English!)

The TV is modern and slimline, with a built in CD player. (Could have also played DVD's but I can't remember)

This year, I've booked an AC cabin up front on the NCL Jewel and hope I won't be disappointed!

Hope this helps. We had a wonderful time, cruising Hawaii in this suite.

Linda

AD..AE..AC are all the same room. The only difference is the location (AC..up front decks 9 and 10, AE..aft decks 8 and 9, AD..aft deck 10) and the balcony size (ACs having the largest) The decor may be different between catagorys.There may also be a slight difference in room sizes due to the design of the ship. Butler service is included in all penthouses. Contrary to what the brochures say (as well as NCL "customer service" when I called and asked them)there is no jacuzzi/whirlpool tub. Catagory AB and above have the whirlpool tubs.

Just as an FYI, the pictures of the AD suite in the above link (webshots, I think) are incorrect. Those are actually pictures of a mini-suite on the Star. I'll try to find and post the picture of the suite that we had. Thanks!!

I'd love to get the skinny on this too, as we are booked in one for May. I think the difference is that it is a slightly bigger suite than the others and includes butler service. Does that sound right?

Swoosh2005, I believe you were just in one on the Dawn--do you know? And how was it?! Was it great?

Greenie

The AD was ok-I liked the balcony and I loved having our same Butler, Lani...I had only sailed in an AB previously so I missed the bathroom. We're gonna go for AA next cruise.

Denise

"spoiled"

I will tell you-I never did so much walking as this last cruise. We were all the way aft and the boys were all the way forward in a mini-suite.

I asked the samwe question and someone was nice enough to post the following:

10228 & 10728 Cabin 290 sq ft Balcony 123 sq ft AD cabin

10226 & 10726 Cabin 288 sq ft Balcony 93 sq ft AD cabin

AE below Cabin 291 sq ft Balcony 74 sq ft

Here's haw you can get all the specs on the cabins:

Go to ncl.com and go to Voyages and Pricing

Select any date and the ship you want to know about

select a sailing and continue to where you pick a cabin

click on the cabin number and a window will pop up with the specs.

Right this moment Voyages and Pricing isn't working, so try it later.

This is what will show up in the window:

Cabin 10728

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Cabin Square Footage (290)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Crib (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Balcony Square Footage (123)

Aft Section

Oceanview Stateroom

Butler Service

Concierge

Dining room area (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Separate Bedroom (1)

Sliding Glass Door (1)

Starboard Side

Pier aft

Sprinklers

Shower (1)

Cabin 9736

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Cabin Square Footage (291)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Crib (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Balcony Square Footage (74)

Oceanview Stateroom

Butler Service

Concierge

Dining room area (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Sliding Glass Door (1)

Aft Section

Port Side

Separated with a curtain (1)

Pier aft

Sprinklers

Shower (1)

"The AD was ok-I liked the balcony and I loved having our same Butler, Lani...I had only sailed in an AB previously so I missed the bathroom. We're gonna go for AA next cruise.

Denise

"spoiled"

I will tell you-I never did so much walking as this last cruise. We were all the way aft and the boys were all the way forward in a mini-suite."

Hmmm..that sure doesn't sound too enthusiastic! Oh well, I'm sure we will love it anyway, based on what I have heard in general and on the fact that it's a definate step up from our usual--an outside/balcony! Thanks for the input, Denise.

:-)

The romance suites on the Star (aft) are definitely a big step up, but...........the bedroom was not a separate room (as in many other suites) One of the wonderful memories of the cruise / romance suite was tossing the flowers from our orchid lei's into the ocean from our balcony on the last evening of our cruise. That was pretty romantic to me ;) Included with a romance suite is the "anniversary/honeymoon" package - a bottle of wine, dinner for two in one of the specialty restaurants, fresh flowers in your room and special treats each day (canapes, chocolate covered strawberries and other goodies) Mmmm Mmm good.

The romance suites on the Star (aft) are definitely a big step up, but...........the bedroom was not a separate room (as in many other suites) One of the wonderful memories of the cruise / romance suite was tossing the flowers from our orchid lei's into the ocean from our balcony on the last evening of our cruise. That was pretty romantic to me ;) Included with a romance suite is the "anniversary/honeymoon" package - a bottle of wine, dinner for two in one of the specialty restaurants, fresh flowers in your room and special treats each day (canapes, chocolate covered strawberries and other goodies) Mmmm Mmm good.

I thought NCL's suites already came with a bottle of wine, fresh cut flowers, and nightly treats??? Is the only difference the reservation?

Floridamom wants to know "What is a romance suite?"

When the kids are at Camp, its just you and your husband, the door is locked, a glass of wine in your hand, the radio is playing and its dark as hell because you've booked an inside cabin!!!

Thats my idea of a romance suite!!!!

Elaine :)

I got your photos of your/our romance suite--love it already! I'm really excited now.:)

We won't have any leis to throw over the balcony, though ... but I'm sure we'll find some romantic thing or other to do . :rolleyes:

As long as we both keep away from thongs, that is.

:eek:

I do agree that the name "Romance Suite" seems a little over the top .... but as you all say, it's what YOU make it!!

Greenie - I'm delighted you love the suite, perhaps you could bring along loin cloths and a "Me Tarzan, You Jane" DVD to go along with the zebra print bedspread!! (is the name bedspread an English thing - do you call it a throw in the US??)

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Never say never I suppose...Well NCL sure must want me to upgrade.:eek: After a 5th offer in a month for an upgrade I finally took their offer for a AD Romance Suite on the stern of Deck 10 (10726). We really just wanted to keep our BA on the stern of deck 8 but after figuring extra cost for champagne, which is included in the Romance Suite plus other goodies like cavier etc...and having breakfast each morning and dinners (both are full menus) in our room on a regular table out on the deck, first tender option in port, etc...I figured it was worth $200 per person.

Happy cruising who ever gets our original BA stern cabin!

Never say never I suppose...Well NCL sure must want me to upgrade.:eek: After a 5th offer in a month for an upgrade I finally took their offer for a AD Romance Suite on the stern of Deck 10 (10726). We really just wanted to keep our BA on the stern of deck 8 but after figuring extra cost for champagne, which is included in the Romance Suite plus other goodies like cavier etc...and having breakfast each morning and dinners (both are full menus) in our room on a regular table out on the deck, first tender option in port, etc...I figured it was worth $200 per person.

Happy cruising who ever gets our original BA stern cabin!

ShadowFox7, is that for the 5/1 Dawn cruise, by any chance? BF and I were confirmed for 10726 and I recently upgraded (long story). I have seen pix if 10726 and it looks BEAUTIFUL--I think you're gonna love it. As I understand it, it's an easy thing to go up the stairs and jump in the spa Jacuzzi, which is (I have been told) often not used especially at night. We had planned on taking advantage of that fact!

Have a terrific cruise!

Archived