Quetion about WAFFLES!

RQINFL

I liked them best when the sour cherries were available, but I haven't seen those on my last two cruises on Millennium (September and December 09).

On my December cruise, there was never any one at the wafflemaker making them to order...there was just a big steam tray of them sitting there. I tried one bite and never took another. I came back several different times, but there was no one at that station to ask for freshly made waffles. Sad, but true. I hope this was just a glitch, not a new "waffle policy". :(

Maybe the cherries were "out of season". Wait til Spring!

I told my table mate about the waffles. He said he hadn't had waffles in 10 years, and didn't care too much for them. The next day we sat down at our table, and he told me he tried the waffles, and they were the best waffles he's ever eaten, and really enjoyed them.

Well, that is what I would call " word of mouth". ;)

The waffles are fresh, made to order, but how I wish they served real maple syrup. I think on my next cruise I am going to fill a flask with real maple syrup before I leave home....a nice silver one..... and will use it to smother my waffles every morning. Fake maple syrup just doesn't do it for me.

I'm picturing seeing a fellow cruiser emptying a flask onto his waffle first thing in the morning... :) :) :)

As a Canadian, I could *not* enjoy waffles without real maple syrup. Is it real whipped cream though and not an edible oil product (like Dream Whip or Cool Whip)? I hate it when restaurants try to pass that stuff off as whipped cream.

As a Canadian, I could *not* enjoy waffles without real maple syrup. Is it real whipped cream though and not an edible oil product (like Dream Whip or Cool Whip)? I hate it when restaurants try to pass that stuff off as whipped cream.

It's real whipped cream.

Also real whipped cream served with the scones and strawberry preserves at tea time.

First time on Celebrity in January. Loved the waffles. Don't remember them on any other line. I make waffles a lot at home and I think they are better on X becuase of the malt batter, the professional machines that give them deep "waffles" making them more crispy, but for me the best is those flavored butters they provide. I hope the OP is signed up for an X cruise soon and can try them!

On my December cruise, there was never any one at the wafflemaker making them to order...there was just a big steam tray of them sitting there. I tried one bite and never took another. I came back several different times, but there was no one at that station to ask for freshly made waffles. Sad, but true. I hope this was just a glitch, not a new "waffle policy". :(

I had the same problem on the Constellation in January. We tried the waffles on two different days, and they were no great shakes. The second day we asked and a steward went back in the kitchen and brought a "fresh" one out, but it was no different from the one we had before (I think they had another tray of pre-made ones in the back).

Honestly, I had better waffles at the make-it-yourself station in the Residence Inn Cocoa Beach after our cruise. Overall, that hotel's breakfast was MUCH better than the American breakfast fare we had in the Celebrity buffet.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

Having been disappointed a few years ago with with the terrible, maple-flavored corn syrup on a Celebrity ship, I went in the Internet before our January Solstice trip and bought ten 1.5 ounce bottles of real syrup. I brought some in my luggage--no problem. And the cost per ounce of the small bottles, even with the shipping, wasn't much more than the price of the pint bottles in the supermarket. The waffles are pretty good, but much beer with real syrup.

I had the same problem on the Constellation in January. We tried the waffles on two different days, and they were no great shakes. The second day we asked and a steward went back in the kitchen and brought a "fresh" one out, but it was no different from the one we had before (I think they had another tray of pre-made ones in the back).

Honestly, I had better waffles at the make-it-yourself station in the Residence Inn Cocoa Beach after our cruise. Overall, that hotel's breakfast was MUCH better than the American breakfast fare we had in the Celebrity buffet.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

It seems they like to pre-cook a batch of them and leave them sitting in a warming pan getting soggy, maybe in an attempt to speed up the line. Then they try to give them to the passengers, hoping they will not know the difference.

Politely insist that they cook fresh ones for you, right in front of you while you watch. A few times they have tried using the excuse of saying that it will take a long time, hoping I would not want to wait. IMHO it is well worth waiting a few minutes, so I tell them that is fine and I don't mind waiting. It makes a big difference.

If people would only stop accepting the pre-cooked waffles and if enough people complained about this practice on their comment cards, maybe they would make fresh waffles for everyone.

• 10 months later...
Having been disappointed a few years ago with with the terrible, maple-flavored corn syrup on a Celebrity ship, I went in the Internet before our January Solstice trip and bought ten 1.5 ounce bottles of real syrup. I brought some in my luggage--no problem. And the cost per ounce of the small bottles, even with the shipping, wasn't much more than the price of the pint bottles in the supermarket. The waffles are pretty good, but much beer with real syrup.

A line like Celebrity, that prides itself on the quality of its cuisine, should be ashamed for serving maple-flavor syrup instead of the real thing. Nonetheless, I'm happy to have the info because now I know I need to leave room in my bag for a bottle of the real deal!!!!!!!

I'm with Happy Cruiser. Fresh waffles w/ that whipped orange butter is to die for. I don't like oranges and I don't like waffles in general but this is the exception to that rule. And w/ the orange butter, I don't have to fill a run runner w/ maple syrup and smuggle it onboard. LOL. Can you imagine if THAT leaked in the luggage? UGH.

I love the waffles, but due to my token adherence to dietary restrictions on cruises, I use the sugar-free syrup, which is all I use at home anyway.

. I made a HUGE mistake having waffles for breakfast last Wed. on Summit before going on a whale/dolphin watch out of St. Lucia in a small excursion boat. I don't get sick on big ships, but the sea was very rough and, in spite of taking Bonine before the trip, I ended up losing my waffles in the "head" (bathroom) while hearing the other passengers cheering as they saw the big whale close to the ship. :eek: :eek:

At least it was not my 1st whale watch and I have seen lots of humpback whales before, but not the huge sperm whale that was seen on this trip. My SIL, who obsesses about getting sick on the big ship, was fine on the rocking and rolling hydrophone--go figure!

I'm glad she saw the whale, though, because it was her 1st whale watch.

The problem for me is it will be a while before I attempt to eat anything with maple syrup on it. Hopefully, I will be ready by June on Constellation.

PS: I printed out some extra waffle badges and forgot to wear one. ;) Texed might remember the hilarious waffle thread of a few years ago where someone gave a link to the Waffle Association of America with a cute badge to print out.

Archived