Negative Reviews on Explorer

bacm

We just got back from a Carnival cruise (short Western Caribbean) and we can't wait to get back on the Explorer. I think that we will be taking a trip to Bermuda this summer. The Explorer is a great ship and I like the way it is laid out. Maybe because 4 of our cruises have been on the Explorer or a sister ship and I am so familiar with it, but it seems to make sense.

Stop reading other people complaints. We went on explorer first time FEb, 2009 and was nervous because we read the reviews. They were all wrong. It was fantastic. We have booked another explorer for this July---love the ship, food, entertainment, pools, etc.

For whatever reason, negative reviews seem to have greater impact and are given much more credibility than positive ones. Even on this thread which has been primarily been positive there are a few less than favorable comments which some will focus on. Perhaps you should use the scoring system that is sometimes used in judging athletic events and throw out the very highest reviews and the very lowest and pay the most attention to those in the middle. I am sure that those returning on the Explorer this week may have some complaints about the weather and seas that they encountered but there is no reason to believe that your cruise will see the same conditions, so worrying about them is really fruitless.:)

What is this shuttle that people are mentioning? I'm curious because I have never been to Bayonne and was planning on booking Explorer of the Seas for September.

The shuttle bus service takes you from the building where your baggage is checked and you are processed, getting your seapass, to the gangway. A really short ride of less then a minute.

Too much vehicular congestion and loading operations going on to let the passengers traipse on foot to the gangway.

I was on the Explorer's 2/5 eastern carib cruise. Besides the wild ride on the first & last sea days due to monster noreasters which produced winds up to 120mph, the cruise was great.

We hadn't been on the Explorer since March 2001 when she was about 6 months old. We were a bit concerned that she might have showed her age, but they keep her in topnotch condition. Why do so many people complain about the balcony rails which need varnishing? That didn't keep me from using it.

With a couple of exceptions, the food was excellent. I thought the crew was probably the friendliest and most attentive since I sailed on HAL's Noordam a few years ago. I've had better entertainment on some cruises but it was still, well, entertaining.

And the bartenders pour one mean drink!!!

Cape Liberty is a bit rustic but our boarding procedure went very smoothly. The shuttle bus is no big deal. I think that RCI hasn't made improvements to the port because they've been using all available capital building the Oasis and Allure. My only fear is that they don't want to invest the money becasue they're not ready to make a long term commitment to northeast sailings. I really hope that isn't so. Nothing beats leaving my house and being at the pier in less than an hour.

We had a terrific time and are thinking about sailing on her again later this year or next.

Forget the negative reviews. I disregard any completely positive AND negative reviews. No cruise is absolutely perfect or a total disaster.

After getting on the ship the cruise was ok, but one time event or not RC was not and didn't seem concerned about what went on during boarding. You do need to realize you'll be inside for a good portion of the cruise during the months that are cool or cold until arriving in the caribbean. The weather isn't controlled by RC, but their atitude at any given time is a direct reflection on what the company considers important to them.

For whatever reason, negative reviews seem to have greater impact and are given much more credibility than positive ones. Even on this thread which has been primarily been positive there are a few less than favorable comments which some will focus on. Perhaps you should use the scoring system that is sometimes used in judging athletic events and throw out the very highest reviews and the very lowest and pay the most attention to those in the middle. I am sure that those returning on the Explorer this week may have some complaints about the weather and seas that they encountered but there is no reason to believe that your cruise will see the same conditions, so worrying about them is really fruitless.:)

A long time poster on the Explorer thread said she would not on on her again until the recent dry dock was complete.We have been on her twice and have had a fairly good time except for the inept medical staff on our last voyage.We will sail RCCL out of Bayonne again but we will give Celebrity and Carnival a try first .We loved Portofinos but found the food lacking otherwise but that could be in part due to after several cruises the wow factor diminishes.Liked the ice show but the shows are a bit boring in part because they are similar on every cruise

^ Yes, exactly.

Maraprince, I am very concerned about the lack of correct information you seem to be sharing on these boards. It's just so puzzling to me. :confused:

What is incorrect about the information?

Passengers do place their hand luggage on the seats next to them on the shuttle from the port to the ship. This limits the amount of passengers that can be accommodated.

We did 2 sailings on the EOS in the same year and saw the same thing happening on both sailings.

It is an issue for anyone who has any difficulty with walking (or has short legs) to get on and off the regular shuttle since you have to board from street level. You also have your hand luggage with you when boarding since they do not store it in a separate comparment under the shuttle. This makes for a big first step and passengers can be injured getting off the shuttle if they misjudge the distance from the step to the pavement.

The aisle is narrow since it no wide than a regular bus aisle. Add hand luggage and there is a strong possibility of hitting passengers as you move through the shuttle getting to a seat.

RCI does not full up the shuttles to capacity.

You can choose to wait for a handicap shuttle which makes it easier to board and get off since it has a ramp for wheelchairs.

MARPRINCE

You will be on vacation!! Don't let ANYTHING bother you! We are looking forward to our 2nd cruise on Explorer, love her and the proximity to the port. The port may need some refining but again, YOU ARE ON VACATION, nothing should get in the way of you making it a spectacular one! Smile and enjoy it!

Last time I was on the Explorer was August but everything was great during that sailing. I can't think of a single negative thing to report.

same here. we were on her in August to Bermuda and the cabin, staff and entertainment were great. Only problem I did report was that MTD was really their time dining.........they required reservations in advance for the next day of you suffered long waits. Once we understood their policy we went to the WJ for appetizers, then to the champagne bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, then arrived for an 8PM dinner with no waiting. Go and enjoy, the ship and experience were top notch.

Passengers do place their hand luggage on the seats next to them on the shuttle from the port to the ship. This limits the amount of passengers that can be accommodated.

We did 2 sailings on the EOS in the same year and saw the same thing happening on both sailings.

It is an issue for anyone who has any difficulty with walking (or has short legs) to get on and off the regular shuttle since you have to board from street level. You also have your hand luggage with you when boarding since they do not store it in a separate compartment under the shuttle. This makes for a big first step and passengers can be injured getting off the shuttle if they misjudge the distance from the step to the pavement.

The aisle is narrow since it no wide than a regular bus aisle. Add hand luggage and there is a strong possibility of hitting passengers as you move through the shuttle getting to a seat.

You can choose to wait for a handicap shuttle which makes it easier to board and get off since it has a ramp for wheelchairs.

MARPRINCE

Absolutely true, RCCL provides wheel chair accessible shuttles for those who need it. It was great service since my DH uses a chair. RCL staff provided all the push power for us, got us on and off the shuttle and helped us with the baggage and then clearing customs. A seamless effort with no stress for us.

The last time I was on the Explorer, I had one terrible experience. They made me get off at the end of the cruise! I didn't want to, but they made me. ;)

Come to think of it, this happens to me after every cruise! :eek:

We love the Explorer and her crew.

Eric

The last time I was on the Explorer, I had one terrible experience. They made me get off at the end of the cruise! I didn't want to, but they made me. ;)

Come to think of it, this happens to me after every cruise! :eek:

We love the Explorer and her crew.

Eric

Hi Eric: We had the same problem the last several times we were on the Explorer also. BTW, since the cruises that we switched to were less than the 2 we were on for this June, and since the OS price for the 9 day came down $300, I convinced my DH to upgrade to a OS for both cruises. We have a connecting room but I think that all we loose is a full mirror.

We love the Explorer and love going out of Bayonne. This June will be our 8th and 9th time and we have a 12 day for next February. There are pros and cons with each ship and cruise line. If we had listened to all the negative reviews of the Pride of Hawaii, we never would have gone and we ended up having a great time.

Sandy

It is an issue for anyone who has any difficulty with walking (or has short legs) to get on and off the regular shuttle since you have to board from street level. You also have your hand luggage with you when boarding since they do not store it in a separate comparment under the shuttle. This makes for a big first step and passengers can be injured getting off the shuttle if they misjudge the distance from the step to the pavement.

MARPRINCE

the incorrect info is the amount of people on each shuttle. Far more than 10 as you stated are on each one.

What is this shuttle that people are mentioning? I'm curious because I have never been to Bayonne and was planning on booking Explorer of the Seas for September.

We were on the Jan 14th cruise that had all the departure problems because of the delay in the ship arriving from dry dock. Yup it was annoying but it was easily replaced by 9 days of pampering on a great ship with a great crew enjoying great food along with great entertainment. The shuttle bus is a 3 minute ride to the ship from the terminal. Just part of the boarding process. Much easier then a long walk through a crowded airport. We are booked on the Sept. 16th EOS cruise to New England/Canada. Come join us it's gonna be great. We'll personally get you thru the shuttle ordeal:D

Skip & Sue

We were on the Jan 14th cruise that had all the departure problems because of the delay in the ship arriving from dry dock. Yup it was annoying but it was easily replaced by 9 days of pampering on a great ship with a great crew enjoying great food along with great entertainment. The shuttle bus is a 3 minute ride to the ship from the terminal. Just part of the boarding process. Much easier then a long walk through a crowded airport. We are booked on the Sept. 16th EOS cruise to New England/Canada. Come join us it's gonna be great. We'll personally get you thru the shuttle ordeal:D

Skip & Sue

Aww thanks :) We're actually thinking about the sailing just before yours - Sept 11-16 to Bermuda.

Archived