Negative Reviews on Explorer

bacm

I am booked on Explorer of the Seas in May 2010. Since I booked this trip the reviews have steadily been going downhill. I understand that I need to take the reviews with a "grain of salt" and I know there are a few positive reviews, but I am very concerned. Is there anyone out there that has recently been on the Explorer that can set my mind at ease. Thank you.:(

I am booked on Explorer of the Seas in May 2010. Since I booked this trip the reviews have steadily been going downhill. I understand that I need to take the reviews with a "grain of salt" and I know there are a few positive reviews, but I am very concerned. Is there anyone out there that has recently been on the Explorer that can set my mind at ease. Thank you.:(

If you've been reading the reviews for the Jan 14th cruise, put that one aside. Many of them are from one group. Except for the terrible problem getting on the ship that day, a very rare problem, the cruise was as good as they get. Dining room food was better than on the last couple RCL cruises I've been on. Entertainment was excellent for most of the shows. Singers and dancers were top notch.

You'll have a great time

I honestly do not read reviews after I have something booked. Now if some people I knew and trusted on this board mentioned a problem, I would take that a bit more seriously than the review pages where you get people being over-critical or just using the space to vent their frustration.

We were on the Thanksgiving 2009 cruise and felt it was a great cruise. Food, service, and entertainment were exactly what we had expected. That was our 3rd cruise of the year, the others with Princess & HAL, so we are not cheerleaders for one line.

Many of the problems have to do with Cape Liberty. If you have a bad experience it can set the tone for the cruise for some people. As soon as I see the ship, my adrenaline starts running and I am happy.

At Cape Liberty they just don't seem to have a good traffic pattern. I was very suprised when we left from San Diego how they were able to get you in and out so quickly with such a small drop off area and 2 ships in port. I'm thinking the big tieup in Bayonne is the fact that you need to take a shuttle from the ship to the dock. While shuttles left one after the other, and it was very organized, it still is a lot slower than just walking off. And let's not forget Explorer is a large ship. We, at one time went out of Bayonne on Constellation, and embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. For Thanksgiving, the previous cruise was several hours late getting into port. Although I had checked the message boards before we left, no one had posted. We got to the port at 11:30 and we had to wait in our car for about an hour before the line moved to let us embark. It was quickly pretty obvious that the previous cruise was leaving because we saw cars with multiple people, taxis with passengers and busses leaving the terminal area. Once the line started to move, it was pretty fast with no wait in the terminal and no wait for a shuttle to the ship. For us, since there was no airport with security where you have to arrive 2 hours early, the extra wait was not an issue.

Unfortunately, in addition to people who have legitimate gripes (because stuff happens), there is a small group of people who have become compensation savvy. They hope if they rattle the cage they will get compensation. Then when they get it, it is not enough.

You will love your cruise. I can't wait to go on Explorer again. Enjoy.

Thank you all so much. I read everything on the link you supplied and will continue to follow it. It has all gone a long way to putting things into perspective. I'm glad that I learned about the challenges at the port and will now be prepared to keep my expectations in check. We usually go with the flow and I think we'll be fine. I am again looking forward to the cruise. Thank you.

i am on her now for the 6th time, and will be doing a b2b as well!

check out my live thread!

we love the ship.

Yes there may be traffic in Bayonne (there was not last week for some reason! go figure!) and it is not a nice port like Miami or Ft Lauderdale...

the ship is fine...crew nice. food is pretty good, shows are good.....what do you want to know?

we are having a great time!

As far as ports go, Cape Liberty is the pits! The whole shuttle bus to the ship routine is a pain. Plus, why are arriving passengers allowed into the port while the majority of the incoming ship's passengers are still trying to get out of the port? This only adds to the problem and is the cause of a lot of the frustration passengers experience if this is their first time at this port considering there is only one ship in the port.

No comparison to Red Hook which is so easy to find, check in and board. They run it like Disney does -- separate way in and out -- very organized.

Both the port and RCI need to come up with a better way to handle departing and incoming passengers and get rid of the shuttle buses.

MARAPRINCE

As far as ports go, Cape Liberty is the pits! The whole shuttle bus to the ship routine is a pain. Plus, why are arriving passengers allowed into the port while the majority of the incoming ship's passengers are still trying to get out of the port? This only adds to the problem and is the cause of a lot of the frustration passengers experience if this is their first time at this port considering there is only one ship in the port.

No comparison to Red Hook which is so easy to find, check in and board. They run it like Disney does -- separate way in and out -- very organized.

Both the port and RCI need to come up with a better way to handle departing and incoming passengers and get rid of the shuttle buses.

MARAPRINCE

same thing in MIA or FLL. Everyone is coming into the terminal as others are leaving.

I'll "suffer" with a 4 minute shuttle ride any day over a 4 hr plane ride to FL

we love the ship.

Yes there may be traffic in Bayonne (there was not last week for some reason! go figure!) and it is not a nice port like Miami or Ft Lauderdale...

the ship is fine...crew nice. food is pretty good, shows are good.....what do you want to know?

What time did you get to the port? We're leaving on Fri. 2/26. We've gone from there before without a problem and love not having to fly.

We will be sailing on the Explorer March 19th and I'm looking forward to a great vacation. I've also read the negative reviews, but as some others have said some people look to see whats wrong and complain about it. I don't see how a stain on a carpet or not enough varnish on a balcony railing is going to wreck my vacation, nor will I let it. If I don't like a certain food I'll try something else, it's not like there aren't choices. As far as Bayonne goes, driving to the port from Boston is still better than flying to Florida, and I can put up with "not the best facilities" to avoid the joy of air travel. I've sailed a few times with RCL and I've always had a great time.

As far as ports go, Cape Liberty is the pits! The whole shuttle bus to the ship routine is a pain.

Well, I know hundreds of people who would gladly put up with a 3 minute shuttle bus ride should you decide not to cruise next time. :rolleyes:

OP, Explorer is fantastic. Have a great cruise. :)

Thanks again to all who responded. We cruise twice a year, once by flying to our location and once out of the NY area. We enjoy both ways. I consider the first and last days of any vacation (or what I consider travel days) an unfortunate necessity. My husband and I always start out ready for anything and if things go smoothly....all the better.

Thanks megr1125 for your live post. It has been very informative and entertaining. I am following it a couple of times a day.

Hi,

We sailed on the Explorer again in late October. We LOVE sailing out of Bayonne. It's convenient and an easy port to deal with. Yes, there is a short shuttle ride which is sort of a pain, but everything else is well worth it. Crew is great and we have nothing but positive comments to report on the ship and our cruise.

Enjoy! You made a great choice!

we love the ship.

I have to agree with Meg. We were on the Jan.24 sailing & had a wonderful time. Getting to the port was easy. We arrived at 11:30 & were on the ship by noon. Yes, there were people still getting off and getting their luggage, but that wasn't a problem. Still, all & all, it was much easier than flying today. Have a wonderful cruise.

I have to agree with Meg. We were on the Jan.24 sailing & had a wonderful time. Getting to the port was easy. We arrived at 11:30 & were on the ship by noon. Yes, there were people still getting off and getting their luggage, but that wasn't a problem. Still, all & all, it was much easier than flying today. Have a wonderful cruise.

shoot...they were GONE when we got there..>NO traffic into the pier at all!!!

amazing

Hello, When you say you have a short shuttle ride is that from the parking lot or the airport ?

Thanks

The shuttle ride occurs after you check in. You are not allowed to walk to the ship since it is a safety issue with it being a working port. You get a ticket (like in the bakery) and you will be called in groups to board the shuttle. Same process on the return. Only about 10 passengers fit on a shuttle bus since you take your hand luggage inside with you and most passengers put the totes, etc. on the seat next to them. Some of the shuttles have a small area to store hand luggage while others do not. The aisle is very narrow and you have to be careful not to hit someone as you walk through the shuttle. If you have a wheelchair or need assistance boarding, you will be asked to wait for an accessible shuttle that has a ramp. You are boarding from the street so the first step is pretty high.

MARAPRINCE

Archived