RC Mariner vs. Carnival Splendor

toezinthesand

I am 33 and this will be my second cruise (1st time on Carnival Valor), and I will be cruising with my friend who is 28, who will be a first timer. I'm trying to decide between the Mariner, or the Carnival Splendor, which are only $40 different from each other.

I like that RC seems to have more planned activities on board (from what I saw in the compass), and they have the rock wall and the ice skating rink. However, I was also plenty happy with Carnival when I went back in 2007 (although I had little to compare it to!), and the Splendor is still a new ship.

Any of you have experience with both cruise lines, or both ships and prefer one over the other? Reasons?

I loved Voyager which is a sister to Mariner, and didnt care for Conquest so much, so Id pick Mariner in a heart beat. Gorgeous ship. The promenade is a lot of fun, and the cafe there is great for late night snacks, and on Voyager they put out the pizza to grab as it came out of the oven. On Carnival they put it in a rack and it might or might not still be very hot. Other great snacks there too.

They have a movie theater where you can concentrate on movies, on Carnival its hit or miss, usually at night, and if the weather is bad, oh well, outside is fun sometimes, but I liked the movie theater deck 2 on Voyager.

I would pay more for Voyager than Carnival ... just me... and Mariner is supposed to be exactly the same.

We sailed the Mariner and its a fine ship yet it was by far the worst food of any ship we have sailed to date. We aren't even food snobs but it was so bad after two attempts in the MDR we never returned and had to do the pay restaurants every night.

It was even a recurring theme even among the RCL fans that the food on the Mariner was crap.

We enjoyed Princess and Carnival on the Mexican Riviera but i would pass on the Mariner. Just MHO, YMMV.

In talking with a PVP (or whatever RCCK calls themO about the Mariner I heard the line- you'll forget you are on a ship. That did that. I don't cruise to go to a mall. I cruise to be on a ship. The Splendor it was. Wd'll see if I feel that way in about a month.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I am leaning towards the Mariner. I want to experience RC, and I can always go back to Carnival if I want.

Good choice......the Mariner is awesome! And the food is not crap and you will still feel like you are on a ship:D

Come back and let us know how you liked it..........

We decided on the Mariner because of the itinerary. Mariner goes to Cabo first and spends the whole day, then does the other two stops, with 2 sea days at the end of the ship. That was the main reason, as we really like Carnival as well.

I love the Splendor. One feature about the Splendor is the magrodome over the central lido area. Thus, if you are watching a movie under the stars and there is a chance of rain, it is likely that the dome will already be closed so you won't get wet!

The Splendor also has Cloud Nine Spa....oh my...wow....loved it.....I had a spa category cabin and the ability to go to the thermal sute and thalasso pool as often as I would like was wonderful!!!!! The Turkish Bath is amazing, but only die hards can manage 15 minutes in there, which is the max. time allowed.....powerful, yet wonderful steam room!!!!!!

The ship also has an adult only Serenity area on Deck 12 with a variety of seating and loungers. The pool and deck space at the stern of the ship is also an adult only area. The Tandoori and Deli food area is here so you may see kids coming to get food, but they don't say....

I can't comment on RCI as I have not gone, but my mother went on the Alaska and she said it was OK, not great, but OK....

Angel, the thing that drew me to the splendor was the spa and the spa rooms, but unfortunately this trip, I can't afford the spa! I'm splurging just going at all b/c I'll be spending the next three years of my life in graduate school, and doubt I will have a vacation! However, if you want to sponser a starving college student, I'm open!:D;)

I was disappointed on my last carnival cruise that they didn't have dancing or parties outside at night on the decks. I hear that RC does, and that is a big plus for me! The stars and the sea air and dancing and a good drink! Ahhh.

Kurbanfan, I love your signature, and love the song! :cool:

In talking with a PVP (or whatever RCCK calls themO about the Mariner I heard the line- you'll forget you are on a ship. That did that. I don't cruise to go to a mall. I cruise to be on a ship. The Splendor it was. Wd'll see if I feel that way in about a month.

I dont know how people go from, you will forget you are on a ship ... to I dont want to go to a mall.

The same company runs the stores on both cruiselines. They have the same number of stores on both ships of comparable size, selling mostly the same stuff, the same rings, the same $19.99 watches on the last day. etc. The same booze and cigarettes. All the stores are indoor on both lines.

Why do people think they are in a mall on RCL if the stores on Carnival are almost exactly the same and indoors too? Have you actually been on a ship with a promenade?? Or is this just Carnival talk?

My sister just got back from the Mariner today. She LOVED it. She's been on Celebrity, CCL Dream with me in Dec and now MOS/RCL. She said that the food was incredible, possibly better then Celebrity. She wasn't impressed with the Dream at all:( The room she said felt a bit small (balc), but there was plenty of storage. She also loved the Promenade.

I'm going on the Splendor in May and can't wait to use the spa, since it's like the Dream.

Have a great time on MOS.

My sister just got back from the Mariner today. She LOVED it. She's been on Celebrity, CCL Dream with me in Dec and now MOS/RCL. She said that the food was incredible, possibly better then Celebrity. She wasn't impressed with the Dream at all:( The room she said felt a bit small (balc), but there was plenty of storage. She also loved the Promenade.

I'm going on the Splendor in May and can't wait to use the spa, since it's like the Dream.

The balconys themselves are larger than a standard balcony on Dream/Carnival ... but the inside part of the cabin is 5 s.f. smaller than Carnival ... leading the cheerleaders to be able to say cabins are larger on Carnival ... when if you count total s.f. inside plus balcony, they are larger on RCL on the newer class of ship.

Your sister was right!! They are bigger on RCL.

Thanks!! I'm SO excited. I can't wait to have it booked and start offically counting down! Enjoy the spa!

I dont know how people go from, you will forget you are on a ship ... to I dont want to go to a mall.....

Why do people think they are in a mall on RCL if the stores on Carnival are almost exactly the same and indoors too? Have you actually been on a ship with a promenade?? Or is this just Carnival talk?

Actually it was an RCL agent telling me I would forget I was on a ship.

I am nobodies cheerleader. But looking at pictures of the promenade do not make me want to be there. However, for what it is worth, I have seen pictures of other parts of some of the RCL ships that very much make me want to go. My choice this time came down to knowing what to expect traveling with my two boys. I wanted things to be as easy as possible so stuck to the known. If I continue cruising I will try a variety of lines. Variety being the spice of like and all.

Actually it was an RCL agent telling me I would forget I was on a ship.

I am nobodies cheerleader. But looking at pictures of the promenade do not make me want to be there. However, for what it is worth, I have seen pictures of other parts of some of the RCL ships that very much make me want to go. My choice this time came down to knowing what to expect traveling with my two boys. I wanted things to be as easy as possible so stuck to the known. If I continue cruising I will try a variety of lines. Variety being the spice of like and all.

I get that RCL told you that you would forget you were on a ship... my question was how did you go from that statement .. and jump to the conclusion ... that it was like a mall. The RCL agent Im sure didnt say it was like a mall.

Im betting from your statement you were never on a RCL ship. You are just repeating what other Carnival cheerleaders have said who also havent been on RCL.

I've been on Mariner 4 times, most recently did the Mexican Riv itinerary and had a great time. We were all set to go on Splendor last summer to try something different, but then RC moved Mariner west and dropped their prices quite a bit, so once again we sailed on her.

I can totally understand why some people compare the Promenade to a mall, but they do use the space for other events in the evening; 70's dance party, they have parades on the first and last nights, etc. On our 2006 Mariner cruise it was raining at sail away time, and they moved the sail away party to the Promenade. The one thing I don't like so much is when they set up tables down the center of the promenade for selling watches and jewelry, but whatever.

I've never felt like I wasn't "on a ship." There are lots of areas to walk around outside. Deck 4 you can walk all the way around on the outside, and they have benches all the way out at the bow, and it's a great place to sit at night and star gaze. Very dark out there!! There's also a great place to walk to the front of the ship up on deck 11 or 12. We exit through a side door near the spa. In high winds they sometimes block this area off, but if you can get out there, the views are spectacular. :)

We've always enjoyed the food, but I really don't have anything else to compare it to. (Sailing on Destiny this week and looking forward to trying different menus!! :) )I like some things better than others, but can honestly say I've never had a bad meal.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I am 33 and this will be my second cruise (1st time on Carnival Valor), and I will be cruising with my friend who is 28, who will be a first timer. I'm trying to decide between the Mariner, or the Carnival Splendor, which are only $40 different from each other.

I like that RC seems to have more planned activities on board (from what I saw in the compass), and they have the rock wall and the ice skating rink. However, I was also plenty happy with Carnival when I went back in 2007 (although I had little to compare it to!), and the Splendor is still a new ship.

Any of you have experience with both cruise lines, or both ships and prefer one over the other? Reasons?

I have done both lines and have also been on the Mariner. The Mariner is wonderful but if you are really interested in the rock climbing wall and/or the rink you need to remember that they have set times for them.

You will have the promenade with the cafe and, as another poster mentioned its great for a late night snack. I will say; however, that the pizzas were on a rack - you just told the server which one you wanted

I think the activities are basically the same on both lines.

I agree that, at many times, it doesn't really seem like you are on a ship.

In all honesty, the only thing that Royal has (for me) over Carnival is the Promenade Cafe. I much prefer getting a snack there and being out on the Promenade as opposed to the Lido deck.

With that said, I think I would try the Splendor. As you said, its a newer ship that seems to have some amenities other Carnival ships have.

I dont know how people go from, you will forget you are on a ship ... to I dont want to go to a mall.

The same company runs the stores on both cruiselines. They have the same number of stores on both ships of comparable size, selling mostly the same stuff, the same rings, the same $19.99 watches on the last day. etc. The same booze and cigarettes. All the stores are indoor on both lines.

Because The Promenade is set-up in such a way that it is like walking down the street passing different stores and eateries.

Carnival has the same indoor shops; however, its just set up as a regular walkway that you may have in your house (walking from room to room):)

My experience cruising CCL over 25X and RCCL Voyager class 2X

1) Food: About the same

2) Entertainment: RCCL a slight edge (ice show)

3) Activities: RCCL by a mile especially for the physically active (skating, climbing etc. and no stupid hairy chest BS, less hawking of products by the CD over the PA)

4) Ship: Been on the Mariner and the Splendor while both are nice for raw beauty RCCL by a mile.

5) Perks: Being platinum on CCL has a few nice perks which I do not get on RCCL

5) Considering the similar pricing I would choose the Mariner.

I get that RCL told you that you would forget you were on a ship... my question was how did you go from that statement .. and jump to the conclusion ... that it was like a mall. The RCL agent Im sure didnt say it was like a mall.

Im betting from your statement you were never on a RCL ship. You are just repeating what other Carnival cheerleaders have said who also havent been on RCL.

Uh- I looked at pictures and it looked remarkably mall like to me. On board a ship I am interested in the sea. I don't shop- I don't even like shopping much on shore. I am not repeating what anyone has said. Nor am I saying that the entire ship was like a mall. But the bigger promenades look a bit mall like to me. Sorry- they may be beautiful but if there aren't big windows to sit and contemplate the water I am less than interested.

And this nutsy competition between lines- I don't really get it. I'm pretty good at making my own decisions.

I have been on both these ships. Mariner is by far the superior ship.

As for the "ship" comments, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Does it mean sea views? The shopping area on splendor was no different (referring to sea view).

Mariner offers more venues than Splendor on board that have sea views. Without a doubt, the Viking Crown Lounge at the very top is the absolute best. The dining room has 2 stories of solid glass walls, and huge round windows on the other (1st) floor. The stateroom balconies are tinted with bluish-green tint, as opposed to the black tint on Splendor.

If I am mistaken, please explain how Mariner is not a "ship." :confused:

I have been on both these ships. Mariner is by far the superior ship.

As for the "ship" comments, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Does it mean sea views? The shopping area on splendor was no different (referring to sea view).

Mariner offers more venues than Splendor on board that have sea views. Without a doubt, the Viking Crown Lounge at the very top is the absolute best. The dining room has 2 stories of solid glass walls, and huge round windows on the other (1st) floor. The stateroom balconies are tinted with bluish-green tint, as opposed to the black tint on Splendor.

If I am mistaken, please explain how Mariner is not a "ship." :confused:

To whom is this addressed? I didn't see anyone saying that the Mariner is not a ship. And heavens just relax- I am sure it is a beautiful ship and I for one hope in the course of my cruising life to try many lines. But nevertheless, at least from the pictures, I don't find the inside directed promenade appealing. It may be quite different when you are onboard.

To whom is this addressed? I didn't see anyone saying that the Mariner is not a ship.

Yes, it was you. And yes you did say:

I don't cruise to go to a mall. I cruise to be on a ship. The Splendor it was. Wd'll see if I feel that way in about a month.

I was just looking for clarification on how Mariner wasn't a ship. That seemed like an odd statement to me.

Do me a favor. Try booking a Voyager or Freedom Class ship. You may be surprised at how impressed you are at these "ships."

• 2 months later...

Just got off the Mariner a few days ago, what a wonderful cruise it was ! A year ago we were on the Splendor and had the spa package.

As been said here by previous posters the better ship is the Mariner by far. For me its all about guest experience onboard. On the Mariner it was a wow guest experience and on the Splendor it was just ok. The RCI staff were fantastic.

Lots more to do onboard the Mariner, they keep you busy in fun ways.. far less were offered on the daily activities menu on the Splendor. Also the Mariner has more time in Cabo, which was nice.

Splendor's decor is awfull and done in really bad taste in places like the main dining room. Mariner's dining room is so much classier and the whole ship is in general a lot more classy than the Splendor. Food on both ships were very good. The evening entertainment onboard the Splendor was a little bit better than the Mariner. We loved the ice show on the Mariner, its truly world class.

If you have a choice and money is no concern, go with the Mariner. With Carnival its cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

We did Mariner and we liked her very much. The ship is beautiful, great design with plenty to do. Our only negative was the food, which we found to be not very good. CCL's food is way better IMHO. Other than that, I'd recommend her any day.

Archived