Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

LOL....i always call people ....Hi kid! Never dreamed of the day i would get to do that....lol

Being the oldest of 4 girls whose folks lassooed (sp) into parenting role too much..I got totally nailed for calling siblings "kids".

Now I just love it when with a group of buddies..saying, " hey kids..what next???" Too funny...ok back to SERIOUS debate:D.

The "ommelette guy" has looked pretty unhappy on the cruises I have been on. Maybe we should get rid of that station because he looked uncomfortable.

How specialized can the cruise lines become?

We could have the "fun" Carnival ships that are sedate in the dining room.

The sedate HAL ships with a hairy chest contest thrown in.

We could have the modest cruise lines where no one will be offended by the bathing suits others wear or the costumes of the performers.

Maybe some could only serve wine and others could have no alcohol at all.

So, in the same way that Carnival has specialty cruises for gay groups or nudists, maybe you could organize cruises for those who want a quiet dining room on a Carnival ship?

They have nudist cruises? Wow. As for the MDR "floor show" I'm torn...It is cute and the kids love it. But then again I do feel like maybe they dread having to get up there and preform for us. But on the other hand...It's part of their job description and who really enjoys their job! The only reason I go to my job is for the money. The same goes for them. diner's and waiters just have to suck it up and do it.

They have nudist cruises? Wow. As for the MDR "floor show" I'm torn...It is cute and the kids love it. But then again I do feel like maybe they dread having to get up there and preform for us. But on the other hand...It's part of their job description and who really enjoys their job! The only reason I go to my job is for the money. The same goes for them. diner's and waiters just have to suck it up and do it.

That always makes me sad when I hear someone say they hate there jobs. :( There are lots of people who enjoy their line of work. I have many friends who love their jobs and are excited for Monday morning and I have some friends who miserably trudge through the work week. The key is knowing what you enjoy and then finding a job that allows you to use those skills. There are books you can read that can help you figure out what jobs are a good match. One good one you can check out from the library is: Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type.

But getting back on topic... while I'm sure there are some waiters who don't like the singing and dancing it's probably a better idea for them to choose another job rather than trying to make the job to conform to the waiter. People all have their own preferences and believe it or not I promise you some of those waiters LOVE the singing and dancing part.

I agree with Fran here..some obviously love it...

Slightly off topic..Marsha Sinetar had a good one..Do What You Love..the Money Will Follow.

On the other hand..when starting from the lower/lowest socio economic levels..that freedom to choose does not come as easily for some in these jobs as others...takes a huge amount of fortitude to get these jobs in that case..sustain them..and get to the next more desired steps...I think in our society in most places we forget the epic acheivements of our grandfathers and great-grandfathers here...

Here in the relative country and where winter has kept it far less populated...you can drive to any number of places and take an hour or two and drive back..and I swear in those 2 hrs hear the echos of that era in the landscape and old homesteads, ghost towns, and obvious Native American places every where you look....many spots where it simply has not changed...except a campground or two on carved out public lands...and a few extra floaters and fishermen...in the summer. We loose touch of that in our cities and modern lifestyles..

My preference as well ehfl..I caught that.."I feel demeaned" look in many's eyes..they are forcing themselves to do what they have to do..

Compassion for long traditions and the fun factor of it too..why I picked 2 x a week day 1 and day 7 perfect to me...

My preference as well ehfl..I caught that.."I feel demeaned" look in many's eyes..they are forcing themselves to do what they have to do..

Compassion for long traditions and the fun factor of it too..why I picked 2 x a week day 1 and day 7 perfect to me...

This is our preference, 1 or two nights on a 7 day cruise is fine. Everynight is too much and it becomes nothing special. We can live without it but would certainly not mind. I think if they wait for the last night in the dining room, it has nice meaning and it is enjoyable, every night is painful.

The cruises I've been on the waiters are clowning around and cutting loose. They do not look beaten down or "demeaned". For those who feel it's demeaning, how do you feel about the steward cleaning your toilet? Do you think he/she enjoys that? Is that less demeaning than singing and dancing in the dining room? :confused:

Maybe they have that look in their eyes because they see you sneering at them. :D

I think you might be on to something here. People pick up on other people's vibe. When you're in a room with lots of jovial, happy people you automatically feel more cheerful yourself. And the opposite is also true. Don't we all have a few "downer" friends? I would suspect that when the waiters see people rolling their eyes or frowning it does dampen their mood a bit too.

I love it.:) Sorry and I am not a kid. May be a kid at heart. Those of you old at heart might want to take a different ship then and let us young at heart have fun.:D

I agree 100%! I am far from being a kid and usually you will find me and my sister joining the waiters in their dancing (which they seem to love by the way) It's just silly fun!!!

I agree 100%! I am far from being a kid and usually you will find me and my sister joining the waiters in their dancing (which they seem to love by the way) It's just silly fun!!!

Honestly, that's how I see it too. I have to respectfully disagree with those who say the singing and dancing is "demeaning" to the staff.

I too think they should do the dancing, not on every night, but perhaps only once or twice during the cruise. They should also not tell you the nights they would dance to add a little surprise to the mix.

I would also agree that the mood of the dining room has a lot to do with how it's received as well. On the last night of our cruise, they started up that song which goes "Low, Low, Low" (seem to remember Tom Cruise dancing to it in "Tropic Thunder") and about half the young women in the place started screaming and cheering and spinning their napkins in the air like it was a Texas A&M Football game...

...but I did notice all the waiters were smiling and definitely into it as the whole room was smiling and laughing *with* them rather than *at* them.

I don't mind it (I don't even roll my eyes or anything), but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

I just wish they wouldn't automatically bring Baked Alaska as dessert. I know, I can refuse to eat it and order something else, but that feels like I'm insulting their efforts to "present" it...or something.

I don't mind it (I don't even roll my eyes or anything), but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

I just wish they wouldn't automatically bring Baked Alaska as dessert. I know, I can refuse to eat it and order something else, but that feels like I'm insulting their efforts to "present" it...or something.

I'm the same way. I can take the dancing/singing or leave it. But I mostly want to comment on your Baked Alaska remark. I SO agree with you, I used to eat it because I felt obligated to and didn't want to hurt the waiter's feelings. Hubby assures me they won't be offended but I know what you mean after all their effort you feel like you kind of have to. :o

I too think they should do the dancing, not on every night, but perhaps only once or twice during the cruise. They should also not tell you the nights they would dance to add a little surprise to the mix.

I would also agree that the mood of the dining room has a lot to do with how it's received as well. On the last night of our cruise, they started up that song which goes "Low, Low, Low" (seem to remember Tom Cruise dancing to it in "Tropic Thunder") and about half the young women in the place started screaming and cheering and spinning their napkins in the air like it was a Texas A&M Football game...

...but I did notice all the waiters were smiling and definitely into it as the whole room was smiling and laughing *with* them rather than *at* them.

Yes Mr. DeWinter..this is when it is at it's best and I

love it...

Not coming from a Ms. Danverse...;).....or Rebecca;)....and not even the second Ms. DeWinter..:p:D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9Q9DbL0G8

Exactly! And their excitement spreads and gets the whole crowd going. I LOVE when that happens.

Me too..but less and less so now..it's when I'm a guest in someone's home..even my sister's..that this is a problem and I have to just say no..even when I want to say yes..have gained so much being back to 9.5 months of winter and the kind of home cooks and cuisine now around with very expensive harder to come by produce in winter...:rolleyes::o....when a kid in home stay family abroad they drummed it into us to never refuse the French homemaker's cooking..the LIVE fresh snails were the worst!! Most was wonderful and some things a learned to like surprise...fresh calve's liver..but would not do that now...sjn.

Maybe they have that look in their eyes because they see you sneering at them. :D

If this is a joke, or just being contrairian..so be it. I can laugh a little.

If it is serious..let me assure you..it is the furthest thing from anything I have ever done or all that I have survived, sacrificed, faught for and quite courageously stood up against my entire life..We Be...and I seriously hope it is not your impression of me...none of us knows each others stories here.

The boards and this kind of venue do allow for lots of goading..and mistaken impressions that are almost futile to fight...or address...and this response may have been a mistake..so be it.

Ok..you guys pickin a fight...smiles....

No fight intended. I think that Fran and I were attempting to point out that the attitude of the passengers can affect the way the waitstaff feels about what they do and about themselves. They can probably sense your negativity towards the singing and dancing and pick up on it and react accordingly.

That's accenting the negative. :) And I think that what Fran and I are both saying is indeed accenting the positive...... lighten up and enjoy it and let the waitstaff know that you appreciate their efforts to entertain and amuse you.

And, incidentally, I prefer the Johnny Mercer version of "Accentuate the Positive", but I'm old. :D

If it is serious..let me assure you..it is the furthest thing from anything I have ever done or all that I have survived, sacrificed, faught for and quite courageously stood up against my entire life..We Be...and I seriously hope it is not your impression of me...none of us knows each others stories here.

The boards and this kind of venue do allow for lots of goading..and mistaken impressions that are almost futile to fight...or address...and this response may have been a mistake..so be it.

It was an attempt at humor (thus the "Big Grin" smiley face) but with a point beneath the attempted humor. It ties in with the sociological "self-fulfilling prophecy", where we interpret things in a certain way because that interpretation will reinforce our preconceptions and biases or desired outcomes in a given situation. :)

I don't want to speak for Allen but I didn't take him literally. You don't come across as someone who would sneer at anyone. :)

Archived