Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

To all those who have made mention to this poll on John's blog and "demanded" that they stop having the waiters dance, you are not looking too smart right now. How can you argue that "hundreds" of important Cruise Critic members want it gone, when the poll clearly states that several hundred more love it.

It's that way on almost every thread (chair hogs, seat-savers, dress code, DR entertainment, etc.) There will be a poll.... the poll will show a definite majority and minority viewpoint, but the minority group will scream and whine and post over and over and over again to make it look like there are a lot of them and try to bulldoze their demands on everyone else.

It's part of the "Me, Me, Me" aspect of the Dumbing of America. :D

WOW ! ! How do I follow WeBeCruisin ? :D I hope I don't sound like a "me, me, me-er":)

I voted yes, but I must concede it wouldn't change my high opinion of Carnival one way or the other. I personally believe it detracts from what Carnival likes to call "a 5-star dining experience". I'm embarrassed for the waiters that might not like mouthing a song with words they don't even know the meaning of in some cases. I just try to get out of the MDR before the "Dog'n'Pony" show starts.

I don't care that much for an organ grinder and his monkey, either.:rolleyes:

What do you think? I vote yes...how about you? I find it disruptive, and I feel sorry for the folks forced to do it!

Unless there's a real issue with the staff not wanting to do this, I wouldn't eliminate it. I saw a lot of interaction between the staff and passengers during the dance. Made it feel like a party. I thought it was fun.

I agree with Songbird that unless staff was complaining about the dance, no. I form an attachment to my wait staff, steward, etc. It is a personal relationship although I have respect for all the service staff and the challenging jobs that they do. I work in a service position and I appreciate how kind and difficult people can be. On my first cruise I was so proud to see my waiter dancing, balancing serving tray on their heads, with another wait staff. It seemed to be a friendly competition and they were loving it. I've come to enjoy the dancing on the tables that Carnival MDR staff does. It was also nice to see the guest, as in the video below, join the staff. I thought that it was exclusive to Carnival until I was researching RCI ships and found that they do it to. I often read on NCL's board how opposed to the dancing they are. It would be sad to see it discontinued.

From Dream Cruise in April '10 th_Low.jpg

To all those who have made mention to this poll on John's blog and "demanded" that they stop having the waiters dance, you are not looking too smart right now. How can you argue that "hundreds" of important Cruise Critic members want it gone, when the poll clearly states that several hundred more love it.

My only comment to those you don't like it would be that there are pleanty of other cruise lines that will give you a more upscale dinner experiance. I don't believe at all that waiters dancing after dinner is not normal of what you should expect to see on a Carnival Cruise. They advertise it as the fun ships, not the quiet and stuffy ships.

He certainly put Lemor in her place.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

Life is too short, have some fun, enjoy life, cruising is an adventure,

let them dance............................... :):):):):)

30 Cruises and counting!!!!!

Im with you 100% if they let me i will be dancing on the tables!!! and im 52 today!!!!!

WOW ! ! How do I follow WeBeCruisin ? :D

You don't. You just bow down, pay homage, and send money. :D

And I'm not saying you're part of the problem. My "issue" is with the people who are proved to be a minority who just won't shut up about how they're right and who distort facts and twist the truth around and scream about how a poll on CC is meaningless because it just represents the opinion of a couple of hundred thousand seasoned, experienced cruisers. :)

Your posts don't seem to fit that category. :cool:

I personally believe it detracts from what Carnival likes to call "a 5-star dining experience".

I may have missed it, but I don't remember ever seeing Carnival refer to their dining rooms as a "5-star experience". I've heard people complain that they shouldn't have to dress up on Elegant Night because Carnival is NOT a 5-star restaurant. :confused:

Keep the dancing! They're the FUN Ships for gosh sakes!

Just like the towel animals, I'm sure the room stewards take a lot of time to make up a few dozen of those each day. But we love coming back to the cabin to see the animal of the day. We love the dancing, always join in and have a blast. Love to watch others join in too. Especially when you know they never, ever do anything like that the other 53 weeks of the year!

All you stuffed shirts can go sail on another line or eat in your cabin.

This is interesting I don't see Carnival or any other cruise line changeing anything because of a POLL on CC. There are millions of cruisers don't know it exists. People can't stand others having 5 min of fun. Carnival has been doing this for how many years, must be alot of people like it.

I think there is a time and a place for everything and there are plenty of bars and dance floors on the ship for that kind of fun and entertainment throughout the day. However, the dining room is a place that many would like an atmosphere more suitable for pleasant company and good conversation.

Dancing on tables is something you see folks with few parenting skills allowing their kids to do at McD.

Cheers!

I think there is a time and a place for everything and there are plenty of bars and dance floors on the ship for that kind of fun and entertainment throughout the day. However, the dining room is a place that many would like an atmosphere more suitable for pleasant company and good conversation.

Dancing on tables is something you see folks with few parenting skills allowing their kids to do at McD.

Cheers!

I'm guessing you haven't seen this 'dining experience' yet. They dance in a 'conga line, with passengers joining in, sometimes and there are a few waiters that dance on top of the "tray stands". Even back in the 'good ole days' of beer drinking contests and ladies pool battles, I have yet to see anyone dance on a dining table.

I may have missed it' date=' but I don't remember ever seeing Carnival refer to their dining rooms as a "5-star experience". I've heard people complain that they shouldn't have to dress up on Elegant Night because Carnival is NOT a 5-star restaurant. :confused:

You're probably right. It used to at least be considered a "5-star experience" 25 years ago. But then everybody dressed nicely for dinner no matter what night it was (without being told), the plates were doubled, the silverware wasn't as limited, the waiters served from the correct side ALWAYS, baked alaskan was brought in on fire with the waiters dancing to music, cherries jubilee was prepared at your table. It was just a different time, I guess OR maybe I'm turning into an ole fuddy duddy. :D

(a year ago on the SPLENDOR, a gentleman, whom I later got to know and I stress was a very nice man, came to the MDR table with a bucket of beer wearing a t-shirt and khakis cargo pants ! ! ) :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with post #2 from Skymaster. 1) It is a break from the daily grind of the job. Just a chance to let your hair down a little bit. 2) I don't see where they are forced to do it. It makes for a fun atmosphere because they usually like audience participation, as well. I have fun, forgot that he may have forgotten the butter or whatever at the beginning of the meal. All I remember is I had fun. And I tip more.

But all in all I think its a break from the grind. I work in a pharmacy and occ. I just get to where I let my hair down a little bit, either with a practical joke or two, or some goofy little dance for my co-workers.

Its all about fun on the FUN SHIPS!

:-)

I, for one LOVE the dancing. When I took my first Carnival cruise, I was a recent Widow, and a little depressed, but trying to enjoy myself.

I knew nothing about the dancing waiters at dinner, I was really surprised at how much I laughed when I saw them, and I found myself clapping in unison with the rest of the diners.

I took my video camera last time, otherwise I would be dancing when the passengers did.

I think they knew they were headed to YouTube, as a few of them hammed it up for the camera.

Oh, what is the real name of the song "Low"? I put Low,Low on my video, I know it's called something else.

Melanie

I voted "yes".

To the people that believe this is fun and breaks the monotony and every day job... they get off the ship they do stuff that breaks it.

I dont dance and do tricks at my job to break the monotony of the every day cycle...

I respect the job they do (which they do very well) to have them dance and carry on like trained animals and to see what some of the guest do with them makes me go wha?

Of course they will say they dont mind it.... Just like in any type of service field if you complain (esp to a customer) about the norm you will usually find yourself out of a job.

Hire or get 7-10 other people that are not part of the wait staff to entertain me. Or just dont do it.

I, for one LOVE the dancing. When I took my first Carnival cruise, I was a recent Widow, and a little depressed, but trying to enjoy myself.

I knew nothing about the dancing waiters at dinner, I was really surprised at how much I laughed when I saw them, and I found myself clapping in unison with the rest of the diners.

I took my video camera last time, otherwise I would be dancing when the passengers did.

I think they knew they were headed to YouTube, as a few of them hammed it up for the camera.

Oh, what is the real name of the song "Low"? I put Low,Low on my video, I know it's called something else.

Melanie

Melanie, it's called "Apple Bottom Jeans" by Flo Rida. Here's a link to Maitre d' Ken Byrne singing it to us on the Splendor last year.

I voted "yes".

To the people that believe this is fun and breaks the monotony and every day job... they get off the ship they do stuff that breaks it.

I dont dance and do tricks at my job to break the monotony of the every day cycle...

I respect the job they do (which they do very well) to have them dance and carry on like trained animals and to see what some of the guest do with them makes me go wha?

Of course they will say they dont mind it.... Just like in any type of service field if you complain (esp to a customer) about the norm you will usually find yourself out of a job.

Hire or get 7-10 other people that are not part of the wait staff to entertain me. Or just dont do it.

Aknot, you sound like you would really be a lot of fun to be around on a cruise. :) Back in the day, when I actually did contribute to society by having a job, I would have welcomed the chance to do something like that as a change of pace. And I would not have felt like a trained animal. I would have felt like a "Supahstar"!

Melanie' date=' it's called "Apple Bottom Jeans" by Flo Rida. Here's a link to Maitre d' Ken Byrne singing it to us on the Splendor last year.

[/quote']

Thanks...I was on the Legend, Ken was the Maitre' D, I thought it was a recording, as I hadn't heard the song before. I only filmed Ludi, the waiter dancing. Had I known it was Ken singing, I would have gotten him also,.

Melanie

This is interesting I don't see Carnival or any other cruise line changeing anything because of a POLL on CC. There are millions of cruisers don't know it exists. People can't stand others having 5 min of fun. Carnival has been doing this for how many years, must be alot of people like it.

Bingo!!

Melanie' date=' it's called "Apple Bottom Jeans" by Flo Rida. Here's a link to Maitre d' Ken Byrne singing it to us on the Splendor last year.

[/quote']

Slight correction, the song's title is "Low."

What do you think? I vote yes...how about you? I find it disruptive, and I feel sorry for the folks forced to do it!

Nope! Just got back off a cruise and spoke with several waiters. They are not forced and really enjoy getting a chance to have a little fun with the passengers.

Just my opinion, but I mostly enjoy the interaction.

Aknot' date=' you sound like you would really be a lot of fun to be around on a cruise. :) Back in the day, when I actually did contribute to society by having a job, I would have welcomed the chance to do something like that as a change of pace. And I would not have felt like a trained animal. I would have felt like a "Supahstar"![/quote']

WeBe.. I am.... and I agee with you...

However to do something on occasion every once in awhile that is change of pace... However to be required to do it every night is part of the job now isnt it...

So its not like one or two nights out of the trip (7 days) they said hey start the music and they danced.

No it was every night........ So how is it a change of pace?

Archived