Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

I really enjoy it. My first cruise had entertainment every night. My 2nd cruise only had the singing/dancing 2 nights and I missed it!! It really made the evenings fun! I am on vacation and enjoy every minute...

I agree. Don't stop the singing and dancing in the MDR - it's fun, and that's what I'm there for. To each his own! :)

I voted NO. The wait staff entertainment has always been a part of cruising. The marches through the dining room, the hokey pokey, macarena, etc. over the years have always been a part of the cruise entertainment at dinner. Demeaning? I don't think so. I don't think they told them at the last minute that they'd have to get up and dance. On all of our cruises, everyone seemed to enjoy it very much. Those that didn't got up and left. We thoroughly enjoy the entertainment and hope it continues.

Personally, I'd rather have live instrumental music. But if the wait staff and majority of guests prefer the singing and dancing and the waving of the napkins, have at it!

The only thing I'd like to see modified a bit is the volume of the Maitre D's microphone. It's disconcerting to hear "SHOWTIME" bellowed into a mic while you're having a pleasant conversation with your tablemates and addressing a lovely dinner. Does it have to be so very loud?

I voted NO.

Could you all maybe get a life & quit finding fault with every little thing? If you don't like the singing & dancing during dinner, get up & leave. Personally, I enjoy these brief mini shows. If I wanted a boring dinner, I'd stay home and go to a restaurant that serves their food with a bored efficiency. I applaud every cruise line & cruise ship that goes out of it's way to make dining fun. I'm really getting tired of the polls here that try to find fault. And then posting comments on John Heald's blog really makes me ashamed of even belonging to Cruise Critic. Let's try to be a helpful site again!!:p:):eek:

They can sing or dance all they want. I don't stop eating or drinking my coffee and we (the people at my table) continue our conversations. We do stop once to look up and smile at them but other than that we usually tune it out. Then at the end we to do applause to let them know we understand that it is just part of their job. I am sure we all have parts of our jobs that we prefer not to do but still do it because it is expected of us.

They can sing or dance all they want. I don't stop eating or drinking my coffee and we (the people at my table) continue our conversations. We do stop once to look up and smile at them but other than that we usually tune it out. Then at the end we to do applause to let them know we understand that it is just part of their job. I am sure we all have parts of our jobs that we prefer not to do but still do it because it is expected of us.

I don't think I could ever ignore them and continue a conversation while they were trying to entertain me. I would feel like it would be very rude. :confused:

We enjoy the singing and dancing, we wave our napkins and the servers have danced with the kids in past years. If you don't enjoy it, I hope you will at least smile at the staff and let them know you appreciate what they did even if it was not to your taste. Kindness during different experiences can make someone's day.

i voted yes. Imho it's not entertaining at all, i think it's rather disruptive. I like quiet when i eat or maybe some very soft subtle music would be okay.

well then if you like peace and quiet on a "fun ship" then go sail on your precious holland american line where you can eat in silence while wearing a full blown tuxedo! Either get used to the dancing or sail on another cruise line! By the way i'm 14!

While on the Splendor in Sept. 09, we had the best time with the wait staff doing their singing/dancing. My only regret is that my camera did not video very well in the dim lighting. I would have loved to have had those moments to view again and again. Our waitstaff was outstanding, we had great conversations with them, (Roni and Joseph) and we loved watching them perform. They had a great time, too. They told us. I hope to see this type of entertainment again on our upcoming cruise. There is nowhere in this area that has such a great show.

While on the Splendor in Sept. 09, we had the best time with the wait staff doing their singing/dancing. My only regret is that my camera did not video very well in the dim lighting. I would have loved to have had those moments to view again and again. Our waitstaff was outstanding, we had great conversations with them, (Roni and Joseph) and we loved watching them perform. They had a great time, too. They told us. I hope to see this type of entertainment again on our upcoming cruise. There is nowhere in this area that has such a great show.

Was Ken Byrne still the maitre d' on the Splendor when you were on it? His singing and the waitstaff performances were one of the highlights of our April 2009 cruise to Baja San Francisco, thanks to the outbreak of Swine Flu.

Yes-They should not dance on elegant night. If I am all dressed up for an elegant experience then I don't want it cheapend by table dancing.

No-The should albsolutely do it any other night, just not on elegent night.

I have been on many cruises, and I don't think it cheapens "elegent" nights a bit. I think it adds a nice "festive" touch to the evening. Many of us would be in a lot of trouble if the staff decided to do away with passengers who, in their opinion, cheapen elegant night. :D

I have enjoyed some of the shows but have been victimized by a couple dancing incidents. I don't know if others have had these experiences

On our first cruise I didn’t know the wait staff performed. Before I knew what was going on I was jerked into a conga line by a waiter. I am not a conga kinda guy. I was particularly uncomfortable. I felt like I was made to dance for my chocolate melting cake (which just about made the dance worth it).

In the second incident the song ended with the wait staff twirling their vests overhead and hurling them at one of the guests. I was the guest for our table. The vest came in low and took out about half the table including three glasses of water that ended up in my lap. She was horrified, but I wasn’t particularly upset (cruise + wine = mellow).

I now feel some dread when the performance starts, and worry I might be developing a touch of chorophobia (fear of dancing). I don’t mind the show, but please leave me out of it.

Yes. It makes me feel uncomfortable to watch. It feels demeaning to them.

I agree! But by the time the dancing starts...I'm on my way to explore my ship or change out to my lounging clothes....on my way now!:p

It isn't going to change. Most of you probably haven't cruised long enough to remember what cruising really used to be and how it evolved to what it is today. You only know the new mega ship experience. I feel sorry for you and wished you could really know what cruising is all about. :(

To all those who have made mention to this poll on John's blog and "demanded" that they stop having the waiters dance, you are not looking too smart right now. How can you argue that "hundreds" of important Cruise Critic members want it gone, when the poll clearly states that several hundred more love it.

My only comment to those you don't like it would be that there are pleanty of other cruise lines that will give you a more upscale dinner experiance. I don't believe at all that waiters dancing after dinner is not normal of what you should expect to see on a Carnival Cruise. They advertise it as the fun ships, not the quiet and stuffy ships.

It isn't going to change. Most of you probably haven't cruised long enough to remember what cruising really used to be and how it evolved to what it is today. You only know the new mega ship experience. I feel sorry for you and wished you could really know what cruising is all about. :(
My first "cruise" was on The Queen of Bermuda from NYC in 1960. I was seven. The waiters and Maitre' D did a little show with the Baked Alaska dessert. This was in the "1st Class" dining room. Very entertaining, at least for a 7 yr. old.

Archived