Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

So, basically you're saying that it's not my dining experience, it's your dining experience and if I don't agree with you I can go shove it? Wow, how very kind of you.

I think that people have basically 2 ways of looking at these types of situations. Some of us say, " I don't like that - so I won't participate. Or, I'll find another alternative."

Others say, "I don't like it. Change it to suit me."

For example: If I don't like the costumes in the shows - I have the choice to not go - which is what I do. But others would be of the persuasion to petition Carnival to change the costumes.

What if some people want HAL's or MSC's dining experience to be more exciting? Should they try to change those cruise lines to satisfy their preferences? I think it is great that we have choices. We can choose the more sedate sailings or the more "fun" ones.

A ship is not a democracy, no voting allowed, it is in their job description to do the little song and dance show, so they do it. Period. Or as someone else suggested move on to other jobs. I have a feeling the money that they are making makes it worth while for them to continue to perform like trained animals for the enjoyment of the paying passangers.

Did you not read the rest of my post?

Negotiations go on all the time where the business relationships between employer/employees are concerned. A happier workplace means happier employees...which spills over to better service... which means happier customers....and ta-da! More business for Carnival.

I'm not saying the Wait staff should get to call all the shots... but if a SIGNIFICANT MAJORITY of them are unhappy with the situation, then Carnival should listen to what they have to say. It's not about democracy... it's about good business ethics.

So, basically you're saying that it's not my dining experience, it's your dining experience and if I don't agree with you I can go shove it? Wow, how very kind of you.

Not trying to pick a fight as much as trying to understand...isn't it everyone's dining experience? And isn't is Carnival's way of life in the MDR? Who are we to demand that it be changed?

That is like coming to my house for dinner and then telling me that you don't like the paint on my walls, or the food I am serving, or the music on the stereo. Should I change it to suit the tastes and wishes of every guest who comes to my home?

No what was said if you don't like it why go. If you don't like a place why would you continue to go there and try to change it. Why not just go some where you like. It would be like me going to pizza hut and saying I don't like pizza they should make chicken.:eek:

Not trying to pick a fight as much as trying to understand...isn't it everyone's dining experience? And isn't is Carnival's way of life in the MDR? Who are we to demand that it be changed?

Ummm ... we're the customer, remember? ;)

That is like coming to my house for dinner and then telling me that you don't like the paint on my walls, or the food I am serving, or the music on the stereo. Should I change it to suit the tastes and wishes of every guest who comes to my home?

No, it's not like that at all as I'm not paying you a lot of money for the experience of eating and sleeping at your home. Now, if I was cruising for free, I'd have the good sense and manners to keep my fool mouth shut.

No, that is not what I am saying, and I did look over my post a couple of times and did not see the words "shove it."

What I am saying, and what I said, was that this "dining experience" in the main dining room is what Carnival offers, if you do not like what is offered in the main dining room, then they also offer another venue for you.

I never said if I enjoyed the singing and dancing, I just stated that it was part of the dining experience that Carnival offers in the main dining room. My choice, as well as yours, as to which venue I want to use to have the dining experience that is more in tune with who I am and what I enjoy.

Ummm ... we're the customer, remember?

Very true, and there are those that "pay" for the type of dining experience that Carnival offers with the singing and dancing. Carnival, however, is business savvy enough to realize that not everyone likes the singing and dancing, just as they do not like the set time to eat, and now offers Your time dining. Sure, we can start getting very picky here and say well I want set time dining but no singing and dancing, or I want your time dining and singiing and dancing. Not everyone is going to be totally happy, but I believe that Carnival has done their part to offer a number of venues to meet most of the demands of those that choose to sail with them.

That foolishness alone does more to dissuade the myth that dining on Carnival or any other line is "formal". Face it the dining room is like the side show of a cheap circus, and that alone justifies doing away with any dress codes other than resort casual!!

Guess you've never been to a really nice dinner-theater, huh?

No what was said if you don't like it why go.

Because it's one aspect of an overall presentation. If I don't like the maitre d' at a restaurant but they still have the best food in town, I'll put up with a snotty MD.

If you don't like a place why would you continue to go there and try to change it.

Why do you assume I dislike the overall MDR experience because I don't like singing and dancing waiters? You assume too much. Dinner and waitstaff aren't mutually exclusive.

Why not just some where you like. It would be like me going to pizza hut and saying I don't like pizza they should make chicken.:eek:

Actually, it's not like that at all. It's more like going to Pizza Hut and complaining that the jukebox sucks. :rolleyes: Conflation ... tis not your friend.

That's the thing, I do not want a "more sedate" experience. My friends call me wild Rice for a reason. I like the pool games and participating in the, I like the dirty raunchy comedy show. I like to breakdance in the disco and I can hold my own in shooting patron. I don't think seniors on HAL would care for me much.

What I don't like is seeing people doing something that makes them uncomfortable. How easy is it to "switch lines"? Do you really think any of the servers have taken a cruise on CCL before they got the job. I doubt the knew that they would pressured to perform for rewards. I feel they do enough to be rewarded for just serving us food.

I work for a company that is known for telling jokes, singing and goofing off (southwest air lines). People that are funny are encouraged to "do their thing". However, if you aren't good at delivering jokes, etc, then offer your own form of exceptional service, but don't do something that makes you feel uncomfortable as it will come across badly. Last cruise on the glory, our server looked miserable. Granted he looked miserable throughout the whole service, but I digress. It was not "enjoyable" watching him as I could see the displeasure in his face.

I think that people have basically 2 ways of looking at these types of situations. Some of us say, " I don't like that - so I won't participate. Or, I'll find another alternative."

Others say, "I don't like it. Change it to suit me."

For example: If I don't like the costumes in the shows - I have the choice to not go - which is what I do. But others would be of the persuasion to petition Carnival to change the costumes.

What if some people want HAL's or MSC's dining experience to be more exciting? Should they try to change those cruise lines to satisfy their preferences? I think it is great that we have choices. We can choose the more sedate sailings or the more "fun" ones.

No, that is not what I am saying, and I did look over my post a couple of times and did not see the words "shove it."

What I am saying, and what I said, was that this "dining experience" in the main dining room is what Carnival offers, if you do not like what is offered in the main dining room, then they also offer another venue for you.

Or ... if enough people complain it stops. Hello, "Cruise Elegant Night", anyone?

I never said if I enjoyed the singing and dancing, I just stated that it was part of the dining experience that Carnival offers in the main dining room. My choice, as well as yours, as to which venue I want to use to have the dining experience that is more in tune with who I am and what I enjoy

And why should I stop going to the MDR due to one aspect of an overall presentation? Seriously, you guys act like it's either like the singing and dancing or get the hell out. It's not. I personally think it's a waste of time and energy ... but one I'm willing to endure for the better quality food of the MDR.

Guess you've never been to a really nice dinner-theater' date=' huh?[/quote']

Guess you haven't either. Because what goes on in those MDRs is f-a-r from really good dinner theatre. Really bad dinner theatre? Close. Theatre of the Bizarre? Definitely.

Relax people.. it was an irrelevant poll... Polls produce opposite reactions.. if you don't want to hear an opposing view.. don't participate in the poll:rolleyes:;)

But it's MY vacation and MY computer! I shouldn't be forced to leave a poll! :D

sorry...couldn't resist...

Conflation ... tis not your friend.

Oh this is not personal?:confused:

No, it's not. I'm trying to tell you to stop conflating the issue. It's not a commentary on your personally in any way shape or form. I'm commenting on your actions and not your person.

The "ommelette guy" has looked pretty unhappy on the cruises I have been on. Maybe we should get rid of that station because he looked uncomfortable.

How specialized can the cruise lines become?

We could have the "fun" Carnival ships that are sedate in the dining room.

The sedate HAL ships with a hairy chest contest thrown in.

We could have the modest cruise lines where no one will be offended by the bathing suits others wear or the costumes of the performers.

Maybe some could only serve wine and others could have no alcohol at all.

So, in the same way that Carnival has specialty cruises for gay groups or nudists, maybe you could organize cruises for those who want a quiet dining room on a Carnival ship?

No, it's not. I'm trying to tell you to stop conflating the issue. It's not a commentary on your personally in any way shape or form. I'm commenting on your actions and not your person.

Well then you should have said stop conflationg the issue not Conflation ... tis not your friend.

[/color][/font][/i]

Or ... if enough people complain it stops. Hello, "Cruise Elegant Night", anyone?

And why should I stop going to the MDR due to one aspect of an overall presentation? Seriously, you guys act like it's either like the singing and dancing or get the hell out. It's not. I personally think it's a waste of time and energy ... but one I'm willing to endure for the better quality food of the MDR.

*Softly laughs* I never said you should stop going to the MDR, I simply said that if you did not like it, there were alternatives that may be more to your liking. Very true about the fact that customer opinion can sway the course of a business, my point simply was and is, that if someone and it could be anyone, does not like what is being offered in one venue, there is another venue that may suit their needs better. Be it the MDR, or YTD, or even to CCl and RCCL. Just because some do not like something, does not mean all do not like it. Just as one's perception of an action does not mean it is necessarily correct. We are just human after all, and have varied likes and dislikes, that is what makes every moment such a wonder to enjoy.

The "ommelette guy" has looked pretty unhappy on the cruises I have been on. Maybe we should get rid of that station because he looked uncomfortable.

How specialized can the cruise lines become?

We could have the "fun" Carnival ships that are sedate in the dining room.

The sedate HAL ships with a hairy chest contest thrown in.

We could have the modest cruise lines where no one will be offended by the bathing suits others wear or the costumes of the performers.

Maybe some could only serve wine and others could have no alcohol at all.

So, in the same way that Carnival has specialty cruises for gay groups or nudists, maybe you could organize cruises for those who want a quiet dining room on a Carnival ship?

An omelette 'guy' is more likely unhappy with the rude passengers in his station's line... Omelette guy is a cook or a chef of some level... Waitstaff is waitstaff, not performance artists...

Archived