Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

I could care less if they like doing the show or their jobs. It is their job so they do it, period. They are certainly not stuck in their jobs. They can leave anytime that they like. They are not slaves. Take up any cause that you like. Did I leave anything out for you two?:rolleyes:

I think you missed the point of my post and all my previous posts on this subject. I am in favor of the dancing and I DO NOT view the employees as being victimized or exploited. I think we are arrogant when we portray them that way. And, like I said before, if they don't want to sing and dance, they need to work on a different cruise line.

I think you missed the point of my post and all my previous posts on this subject. I am in favor of the dancing and I DO NOT view the employees as being victimized or exploited. I think we are arrogant when we portray them that way. And, like I said before, if they don't want to sing and dance, they need to work on a different cruise line.

And I don't think that you even bothered to read my post. So there, take that.:cool:

They should have one dining room with singing, dancing waiters and another one without. ;)

Seriously though, is it really a dealbreaker for anyone? I know it's not for me. Like I said, it's like going to your favorite pizza place even though you know the jukebox sucks.

not a deal breaker. i cant believe more people want the stupid singing and dancing than don't. if i went to a restaurant in town and they pulled that crap, i wouldnt return. if it is so great, why don't they do it at outback? or olive garden? because people would turn away, that's why. who wants some stranger pointing at their wife singing "don't, don't you want me"? :confused:

Trust me, from someone that worked in the restaurant business for 13 years, I never knew of any co-worker that considered a highlight of their shift to sing happy b-day or anniversary to people they didn't even know. It always took you away from your tables and would put you behind in your service by the time you gathered people up to sing, thus effecting other peoples dining experience.

Personally, I don't like the sing and dancing in the dining room, however many do. For the short period of time that the show takes, it doesn't make or break my experience.

not a deal breaker. i cant believe more people want the stupid singing and dancing than don't. if i went to a restaurant in town and they pulled that crap, i wouldnt return. if it is so great, why don't they do it at outback? or olive garden? because people would turn away, that's why. who wants some stranger pointing at their wife singing "don't, don't you want me"? :confused:

If I wanted to pretend I was at the Olive Garden, I wouldn't go on a cruise. That's exactly why I DO enjoy the singing and dancing. It differentiates the cruising experience from the land restaurant experience. It's one of the reasons why I chose traditional dining times rather than anytime dining.

I love it.:) Sorry and I am not a kid. May be a kid at heart. Those of you old at heart might want to take a different ship then and let us young at heart have fun.:D

Ditto... I love the song/dance each night. I can't believe people find it that disruptive when it lasts on average 3-4 minutes. 99% of the staff actually look to be enjoying themselves so I say keep it :)

Ditto... I love the song/dance each night. I can't believe people find it that disruptive when it lasts on average 3-4 minutes. 99% of the staff actually look to be enjoying themselves so I say keep it :)

I like it too. It makes me laugh when I see the passengers interacting with the wait staff, and all at our tables appear to enjoy it too. :rolleyes:

You obviously did not read the" kids blocking the stairways".That was the all time best...this one has gone downhill all day. Dominated by a few .....:rolleyes:

Oh I read, but that wasn't a poll unless I missed something.... lol

I voted yes as well. Not only is it disruptive it is just ridiculous, IMHO. Of the last 10 cruises I've taken, zero have had a dining room staff that actually seemed to enjoy this. Most were rolling their eyes and once, one of our servers just walked away and didn't participate at all. They have deck parties for this sort of thing. Take it outside and away from the dining room, I say!!

OMG!!! There's a lot of Prudes on here!!!Ok what do they say Oh yeah you are a bunch of Fun Suckers!!! Your on vaction and its time to lighten up. when you get home turn everything off and eat in silence!!! Yeah like thats going to happen!!!

"sit down, eat, and get the heck out the way" restaurant; Is that what Mr and Mrs WHINER want. Seems there are alot of people haveing fun with the danceing and singing every time we go. 3 or 4 min and some people think its the end of the world. Get a life your there to have a good time.

OMG!!! There's a lot of Prudes on here!!!Ok what do they say Oh yeah you are a bunch of Fun Suckers!!! Your on vaction and its time to lighten up. when you get home turn everything off and eat in silence!!! Yeah like thats going to happen!!!

We don't eat in silence actually. Typically there is some nice jazz or easy listening music playing. There is conversation at "inside voice" level between DH, the kids and me. What never happens is loud music begins to play, I have to drop everything I am doing to go and sing and dance around the dining room. It is no wonder that I have not seen a crew yet that seems to enjoy this (over the Imagination, Fascination, and Fantasy anyway). I could even see this happening on the Lido deck where there is less of a restaurant atmosphere and more of a deli or fast food atmosphere, less "formal" per se. This has no place in the MDR.

My wife and I both enjoy the singing..and our head waiter on the Inspiration told us he loved doing it, he said it gave them a chance to let loose once and awhile. I mean, if you don't like the singing/dancing, feel free to leave before it starts or head up to the buffet.

If I wanted to pretend I was at the Olive Garden, I wouldn't go on a cruise. That's exactly why I DO enjoy the singing and dancing. It differentiates the cruising experience from the land restaurant experience. It's one of the reasons why I chose traditional dining times rather than anytime dining.

i don't even go to the olive garden, it's called an example. i go to the dining room to have a nice dinner, and the shows afterward for entertainment.:rolleyes:

I voted No. My 3-year-old daughter LOVED dancing with our waiter every night. By the end of the week, she had even roped some fellow passengers into joining in. :)

I too have danced w/ our waiter. I agee that they knew it is one of the job requirements. We enjoy it!!

How would you like it if part of your job requirement was to sing and dance like a trained chimp?

These are grown men and women who for the most part are good at what they do. I think there are ways for them to express a spirit of hospitality without having to perform for the crowd.

We don't expect servers at land based restaurants to dance around.

NO-We were on the Valor recently and seated in the lower section of the Washington dining room where we would not be able to view the waiters dancing. The waiter made a special effort to come to our table and tell my 3 daughters to come up where they could watch him. He seemed to really enjoy doing it.

I Love it!!! I am old & I love it! Exactly what is "disruptive" about it folks? Dinner is over!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it Leave already. Its not like another course is coming. To say it is demeaning to the staff is just an excuse to back your opinion. Just go ahead & say you don't like it. You're entitled to not like everything. I don't especially like the bars soooo I simply don't go. I don't get on here & say close down all bars on a cruise its demeaning for the staff to be forced to watch a bunch of grown people make fools of themselves or make the samo samo jokes been around for 100 years!!!

Archived