Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

How would you like it if part of your job requirement was to sing and dance like a trained chimp?

These are grown men and women who for the most part are good at what they do. I think there are ways for them to express a spirit of hospitality without having to perform for the crowd.

We don't expect servers at land based restaurants to dance around.

EXACTLY!!! I could see this being appropriate at the buffet. I might feel differently about this if I'd seen any crew members appearing to enjoy this rather than having an expression of, "Oh Holy God, what have I gotten myself into??" or "Boy this SUCKS! But here is your fake smile all you paid cruisers! Here is what you paid to see!"

Next time you cruise, scan the dining room and really LOOK at the servers. You'll see what I mean. For every one who seems to be having a good time, 9 will be giving you that fake smile. I promise.

sorry, have to say I love it. Got up and did it. Took the grandson (14yrs) on his first cruise lasy year. he was laughing and clapping and he he got up and did it. Its for fun, stop being so serious You want a quiet boat ride. do a differant Cruise line, or rent a dinghy and go float alone in peace and quiet someplace by yourself

I can't believe how many people are "annoyed" by this. I'm so relaxed on a cruise they could dance on the tables and I wouldn't care as long as I didn't have to join them:eek: With that being said, I guess I am a kid at heart because I do enjoy this. All of the waiters we have talked to enjoy this part of their job, just look at the smiles on their faces, it certainly doesn't appear that they are not having fun. I'm sure there are those that are uncomfortable but I haven't found a job yet that is all fun and games. They work so hard that I would think this would be a great opportunity to "let their hair down", so to speak;)

OMG!!! There's a lot of Prudes on here!!!Ok what do they say Oh yeah you are a bunch of Fun Suckers!!! Your on vaction and its time to lighten up. when you get home turn everything off and eat in silence!!! Yeah like thats going to happen!!!

And furthermore, why do you feel the need to label as "Fun Suckers" and "Prudes" those of us who responded to a poll by saying we'd rather not see singing and dancing by the wait staff. I happen to respect the dignity of these men and women. Do you?

I love fun. I have lots of fun on cruises. No one here is suggesting that we eat in silence. I just don't find fun in asking someone who has worked a 12 -15 hour say to sing and dance for me.

How would you like it if part of your job requirement was to sing and dance like a trained chimp?

These are grown men and women who for the most part are good at what they do. I think there are ways for them to express a spirit of hospitality without having to perform for the crowd.

We don't expect servers at land based restaurants to dance around.

So what does that make the stage performers, trained chimps?? :confused: Unless I am mistaken, they are grown men and women who for the most part are good at what they do. :confused::confused:

There are plenty of "demoralizing" types of restaurant jobs if this is the direction we are going. What about the singing/dancing waiters/cooks at Johnny Rockets? What about making the servers at Midieval Times dress in period clothing and be "wenches." How about the ones at any theme restaurant for that matter? There are Italian restaurants around the states that have singing waiters, how about them? There are singing/dancing waiter establishments in Paris, London, and Thailand to name a few. What about the waiters on DCCL that I mentioned earlier having to change clothes for every course of the meal and carry on?

OMG!!! There's a lot of Prudes on here!!!Ok what do they say Oh yeah you are a bunch of Fun Suckers!!! Your on vaction and its time to lighten up. when you get home turn everything off and eat in silence!!! Yeah like thats going to happen!!!

And furthermore, why do you feel the need to label as "Fun Suckers" and "Prudes" those of us who responded to a poll by saying we'd rather not see singing and dancing by the wait staff. I happen to respect the dignity of these men and women. Do you?

I love fun. I have lots of fun on cruises. No one here is suggesting that we eat in silence. I just don't find fun in asking someone who has worked a 12 -15 hour say to sing and dance for me.

Prudes? LOL

Balcony Olympics... so there! (sticks tongue out)

EXACTLY!!! I could see this being appropriate at the buffet. I might feel differently about this if I'd seen any crew members appearing to enjoy this rather than having an expression of, "Oh Holy God, what have I gotten myself into??" or "Boy this SUCKS! But here is your fake smile all you paid cruisers! Here is what you paid to see!"

Next time you cruise, scan the dining room and really LOOK at the servers. You'll see what I mean. For every one who seems to be having a good time, 9 will be giving you that fake smile. I promise.

I do look at them - frequently - when I watch videos of our cruise. Our waiter looks like he's having a fantastic time as do the others around him. It is so insulting to say that all the waiters are either lying or trapped/tricked into performing. It's so patronizing to say they can't make decisions for themselves about where they want to work and what they want to do. These are adults - not children stuck in sweat shops.

I just got back from a cruise on the sensation............the waiters LOVED dancing. I don't think they could fake the good time they were having. I love to see them let loose for once and its a GOOD thing! hope they dont ever take that away.

So what does that make the stage performers, trained chimps?? :confused: Unless I am mistaken, they are grown men and women who for the most part are good at what they do. :confused::confused:

And what are they supposed to do? Serve meals. Not dance. If I want a show, I'll go to a lounge or the theatre. ;) Stage performers are supposed to perform. Wait staff is supposed to ... well ... wait. ;)

And furthermore, why do you feel the need to label as "Fun Suckers" and "Prudes" those of us who responded to a poll by saying we'd rather not see singing and dancing by the wait staff.

If you don't like those labels, how about curmudgeon?!?!?

How about people who don't like singing and dancing waiters. The tables I'm sitting at are usually entertaining enough without the waiters doing a congo line through the dining room. Sorry if you folks simply aren't good enough conversationalists and you require this kind of entertainment to make it through dinner. ;)

Ok, so I guess from now on I should just wait for the majority opinion to shake out before answering a poll and if I don't happen to agree with that opinion just shut up and go away.

A question was asked, I offered my opinion and have been attacked for it.

Maybe the servers love to sing and dance. If that is the case, then I take back everything I've said. Frankly I could care less whether they sing and dance. It neither ruins or enhances my dining experience.

My objection is based solely on my regard for their dignity as human beings.

I know that I wouldn't be excited about singing the same silly songs week after week after working a 12 -15 hour day knowing I still had a few more hours to go before sleeping.

And what are they supposed to do? Serve meals. Not dance. If I want a show, I'll go to a lounge or the theatre. ;) Stage performers are supposed to perform. Wait staff is supposed to ... well ... wait. ;)

Ok, so I guess from now on I should just wait for the majority opinion to shake out before answering a poll and if I don't happen to agree with that opinion just shut up and go away.

A question was asked, I offered my opinion and have been attacked for it.

Maybe the servers love to sing and dance. If that is the case, then I take back everything I've said. Frankly I could care less whether they sing and dance. It neither ruins or enhances my dining experience.

My objection is based solely on my regard for their dignity as human beings.

I know that I wouldn't be excited about singing the same silly songs week after week after working a 12 -15 hour day knowing I still had a few more hours to go before sleeping.

How about people who don't like singing and dancing waiters. The tables I'm sitting at are usually entertaining enough without the waiters doing a congo line through the dining room. Sorry if you folks simply aren't good enough conversationalists and you require this kind of entertainment to make it through dinner. ;)

Three Snaps. Z formation. End.

Um....what?? :eek:

And what is this crap with dancing chimps, again, if dancing is "ape-ish" then I assume you don't go to the shows or the clubs or the deck parties? How are they forced to dance? Is Carnival security there with stun guns? Youtube dancing waiters and a lot of them stand there and clap their hands and smile, they aren't forced to do anything. They walk around the dining room so you can smile and clap and thank them and they get to have a few minutes of goofing off. The wait on you at breakfast, lunch, and 2 dinners, give them 3 minutes to shake out some of the tension. :rolleyes:

LoL..1st time I have seen a troll show up in the middle of a thread!

ObviousTroll.jpg

LoL..1st time I have seen a troll show up in the middle of a thread!

ObviousTroll.jpg

Indeed, and so much inner rage in him. No tact, no productive comments to the thread, just derogatory comments. Guess its a slow night in Trollsville. :rolleyes:

most of them not only wait tables, but if you pay attention, they perform other duties.

Think about it. "we" are one cruise of 7 days within a year. They are equired to performed for 7 days a week. EVERY WEEK.

I am not saying that they are not capable, but should they have to? When our days are filled withg endless entertainment (sometimes performed by the same folk).

Do we really need more?

Should or should not is too subjective for a left-handed bean-counter, so I will stick to will or will not. In the short term, they will not do away with it, but as the evolution of opinion progresses, they eventually will, just as they have given way to denim.

When the x-box/i-pod generation reaches cruising age, the debate will be: "Should Carnival do away with waiters in favor of the quieter, less disruptive, conveyor belt system.":rolleyes:

Archived