Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

Isn't it interesting how we all see things differently. As a first time cruiser, I loved the dances! I loved the music, it was so fun. The night the did the Slumdog Millioniare dance, I didn't know anything about it. I had asked our head waiter his opinion of the movie.earlier. When the dance started up, he came and got me to dance, it was a blast. The look like they are having fun.

Of course they LOOK like they are having fun. They are performing for you. Do you like that? Like seals?

Isn't it interesting how we all see things differently. As a first time cruiser, I loved the dances! I loved the music, it was so fun. The night the did the Slumdog Millioniare dance, I didn't know anything about it. I had asked our head waiter his opinion of the movie.earlier. When the dance started up, he came and got me to dance, it was a blast. The look like they are having fun.

LoL..1st time I have seen a troll show up in the middle of a thread!

ObviousTroll.jpg

While you are such a Troll finder...

How aobut a nomination for Papa Paulie...

who says he is a longtime frequent cruiser...

but only FOUR posts, with two for the YEs side on this poll...

but you go after a guy with 385 posts...because you disagree with him.

Come on....call a troll a troll....

or better yet....just know some of us are on one side and

others on the others....

Its a poll for friggin sake....voice your opinion...

buts lets get along

we were able to do a lot of talking and learning about our waiters and they had a great time with the children and we all loved the singing its all about the fun blessing and being thankful for what we were able to do ...love debbie and family

I absolutely LOVE the theatrics of some of the anti-singing and dancing crowd. The waiters sing a silly song and do a fun dance. Boo-Freakin-Hoo if you don't like it!!! Out of our six CCL cruises, we enjoy it every evening and I guess we've been fortunate enough to have fun-loving wait teams that do it and get their tables to play along with them. Either that or we've had fabulous actors! But to make a blanket statement about ALL of the waiters hate it is just ludicrous and unfounded at best. :cool:

Should or should not is too subjective for a left-handed bean-counter, so I will stick to will or will not. In the short term, they will not do away with it, but as the evolution of opinion progresses, they eventually will, just as they have given way to denim.

When the x-box/i-pod generation reaches cruising age, the debate will be: "Should Carnival do away with waiters in favor of the quieter, less disruptive, conveyor belt system.":rolleyes:

I hope they don't give away all the tradition of their MDR's, speaking as a member of the X-Box/I-Pod generation. It would seem to go against the "Funship" ideals to subdue dining in that way, they already have the steakhouses and the YTD that would allow people to miss it all together. :(

OMG, it amazes me how so many threads on cruise critic turn into this petty stuff. As far as the OP goes, I hope they do not stop the singing and dancing. It's fun, and I don't see it as degrading. I've been to a Johnny Rockets with more singing and dancing than that in the MDR. It's something my family enjoys and looks forward to.

I Love it!!! I am old & I love it! Exactly what is "disruptive" about it folks? Dinner is over!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it Leave already. Its not like another course is coming. To say it is demeaning to the staff is just an excuse to back your opinion. Just go ahead & say you don't like it. You're entitled to not like everything. I don't especially like the bars soooo I simply don't go. I don't get on here & say close down all bars on a cruise its demeaning for the staff to be forced to watch a bunch of grown people make fools of themselves or make the samo samo jokes been around for 100 years!!!

sorry, my dinner was not over when they starting dancing. don't use the get up and leave reasoning, i wouldn't want to have to leave during my meal.

I still find it interesting that some people feel that stopping the singing/dancing would somehow emancipate the slaves by freeing them of 3-5 minutes of forced labor. The fact is these servers are waiting on them hand and foot, carrying huge trays, placing napkins in their laps, stooping to busing tables on the Lido, forced to smile and address us by name, working 15 hours a day but trying to look like they're thrilled to see you at the 8:15 seating. If you have read Cruise Confidential you know that many of these talented, skilled servers are also required to do other non-food service jobs around the ship. Things like cleaning the escalators. But, somehow the 3-5 minute break they get to sing and dance is an issue. Let's not let them have any fun. Yeah...Carnival is really cracking the whip by adding that to their day.

Maybe I just have a higher opinion of the intelligence of these people than some others do. I believe they are capable of deciding whether or not they want to work for Carnival and sing and dance in the dining room. I think they are capable to decide whether or not they want to be treated in a demeaning way by others - whether that is dancing, placing napkins in a lap, being spoken to like a servant by rude obnoxious customers, smiling when they don't feel like it, etc. etc.

But, somehow the 3-5 minute break they get to sing and dance is an issue. Let's not let them have any fun. Yeah...Carnival is really cracking the whip by adding that to their day.

I would love to be able to stop the grind in the middle of the day to jump up...crank up the music, and sing and dance for 5 minutes. I think these wonderful people love to do it to.....:cool:

I would love to be able to stop the grind in the middle of the day to jump up...crank up the music, and sing and dance for 5 minutes. I think these wonderful people love to do it to.....:cool:

I do it every day right after lunch.....I don't know why...but I get the strangest looks from my coworkers. :p:eek::D

I do it every day right after lunch.....I don't know why...but I get the strangest looks from my coworkers. :p:eek::D

It is probably because you are singing and dancing to "Hey Baby I wanna know-o-o if you will be my girl".....And you work with all guys....LOL....

What's up Paulie.....:p:p

It is probably because you are singing and dancing to "Hey Baby I wanna know-o-o if you will be my girl".....And you work with all guys....LOL....

What's up Paulie.....:p:p

Actuall...it's the Flo-rida song...:eek::p

LMAO

You mean you do not appreciate that classic New Jersey institution known as Medievel Times?:p

Heheh......a leg of chicken, baked potato and a plastic "stein" of diet coke. Not worth the pricetag to me. But, at least OUR knight won. :D

Could the solution not be to start the dancing after dessert and final drinks are served so that those of us who don't care for it can leave as soon as we are finished and those who love it can carry on with the tradition?

My first 3 cruises were with RCCL and this is how they did it in the late 90's. Though I am getting from this thread that CCL is the only line that does the dancing now, correct?

And RCCL doesn't doesn't do it anymore?? I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Archived