Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

Oh, you know, I read all that silly paperwork that comes with my tickets...;)

"What to Wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

I don't see it as that "lax." There is a what to wear to the dining room and a what not to wear and seems to be way more people reading the latter as "allowed" than rightly should. :rolleyes:

It's pretty laid back compared to other lines... and I can honestly say I am not paying too much attention to what someone else is wearing...I don't care.;)

It's pretty laid back compared to other lines... and I can honestly say I am not paying too much attention to what someone else is wearing...I don't care.;)

Sure, I understand its more laid back but that doesn't mean its inadmissible. Buffet, do whatever you want frankly, thats what you get with that style of dining, but if you are going to something nicer than that then take the 5 extra minutes to put on a polo and some pants at least. Not everyone likes to wear tuxes or suits or coats and ties or really nice dresses but that doesn't mean you should not at least attempt some civility. It's possible to look nice at dinner without having to "dress up" and I may be in the minority for my generation but I do find the lack of effort in today's society, especially with my generation, to be lazy IMO. :) Nobody wants to see pants down by your knees after all..."You lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground!" :D

But then again I like to dress up and I even wear bow-ties to my exams JUST to feed into my elitist ego because I know when I dress up I am better than you :;):D J/K...sorta :p

But then again I like to dress up and I even wear bow-ties to my exams JUST to feed into my elitist ego because I know when I dress up I am better than you :;):D J/K...sorta :p

That's the same reaon I like to use really big words. ;)

I think it's demeaning to the wait staff. They wait on us hand and foot and then are expected to perform for us like trained animals. I'd rather just have the opportunity for the guests to show their appreciation for the servers by applauding them collectively.

Sure, I understand its more laid back but that doesn't mean its inadmissible. Buffet, do whatever you want frankly, thats what you get with that style of dining, but if you are going to something nicer than that then take the 5 extra minutes to put on a polo and some pants at least. Not everyone likes to wear tuxes or suits or coats and ties or really nice dresses but that doesn't mean you should not at least attempt some civility. It's possible to look nice at dinner without having to "dress up" and I may be in the minority for my generation but I do find the lack of effort in today's society, especially with my generation, to be lazy IMO. :) Nobody wants to see pants down by your knees after all..."You lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground!" :D

And this has what to do with dancing waiters:confused:

Sure, I understand its more laid back but that doesn't mean its inadmissible. Buffet, do whatever you want frankly, thats what you get with that style of dining, but if you are going to something nicer than that then take the 5 extra minutes to put on a polo and some pants at least. Not everyone likes to wear tuxes or suits or coats and ties or really nice dresses but that doesn't mean you should not at least attempt some civility. It's possible to look nice at dinner without having to "dress up" and I may be in the minority for my generation but I do find the lack of effort in today's society, especially with my generation, to be lazy IMO. Nobody wants to see pants down by your knees after all..."You lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground!"

But then again I like to dress up and I even wear bow-ties to my exams JUST to feed into my elitist ego because I know when I dress up I am better than you :;):D J/K...sorta

And I agree with a lot of what you state about dressing for dinner, my point is I really have never seen anyone outside these guidelines... and they are guidelines ;)- doesn't mean it does not happen - but they are pretty lax.. and it really does not affect me..

If you feel a bowtie feeds your elitest ego, more power to ya Poindexter :p

Do you know I've never been there? I have been to Tony and Tina's Wedding (a surprisingly good time) and the Pirate's Dinner Adventure in Orlando. I drank a bit too much at the Pirate's Dinner and ended making eyes at the Green Pirate all night long.

Have not done much dinner theater, really could care less either way in Carnival Dining with or without singing..ok for me either way.

Saw and participated in a two venue..church and reception Tony and Tina's wedding...the food was awful..but the evening one of the best surprises and laughs of my life...laughed too hard to eat much anyway....sjn. If Carnival did that one night...they could save money on the food budget for attendees. sjn911.

While I personally don't like it, especially when they are shaking their butts in your faces or humping the dining room poles saying, "This is for you," (happened to one of my friends), to each their own. One of my friends commented she felt bad for them because it felt like they were being treated like slaves being forced to dance.

At first I thought the dancing was a little "too" much but I look forward to it now.

I even miss it when I cruise other lines. Dinner without some sort of entertainment; singing, instrumentals, dancing or strolling magicians is pretty dull.

Our waitress on The Splendor thought it was a lot of fun. They don't ALL dance on the tables.... just a few.

The only waiter I ever heard a negative comment from was on RCCL. All they had to do was sing in a very large group but the song was in Italian.

It is FUN and Carnival is the FUN ship.

I even miss it when I cruise other lines. Dinner without some sort of entertainment; singing, instrumentals, dancing or strolling magicians is pretty dull.

I disagree, but on an unrelated note ... have you ever noticed that they don't use clowns for that?

I vote YES get rid of it. That silly dancing tops the list of why I switched to MTD (my-time dining). I' date=' too,feel it demeans the hard working staff. I feel embarrassed to even have to watch.[/quote']

So why do they need to get rid of it? They have given you an option MTD that allows you to get away from it. Why the need to take it away from passengers that enjoy it?

So why do they need to get rid of it? They have given you an option MTD that allows you to get away from it. Why the need to take it away from passengers that enjoy it?

They should have one dining room with singing, dancing waiters and another one without. ;)

Seriously though, is it really a dealbreaker for anyone? I know it's not for me. Like I said, it's like going to your favorite pizza place even though you know the jukebox sucks.

They should have one dining room with singing, dancing waiters and another one without. ;)

Seriously though, is it really a dealbreaker for anyone? I know it's not for me. Like I said, it's like going to your favorite pizza place even though you know the jukebox sucks.

A compromise we could ALL live with. And...the waiters could choose which dining room they worked in.

Problem solved. End of thread. (Not likely)

Does anyone actually thank that when asked the staff is going say that they do not like doing the singing and dancing on the tables? Of course they are just going to smile and say yes they enjoy it. They have to put on the happy face at all times or they can loose their jobs.

lol I am surprised people think they are forced to do it... they aren't and the ones that do enjoy it by taking a break from there normal every day grind then having a bunch of people applaud them and take thier picture.... the ones that don't like it don't do it. On Destiny both the husband and wife were servers... she said her husband won't do it but she likes to dance so she does.

Lighten up people and take a 5 minute break from stuffing your faces.... i watch clap and then go back to stuffing mine.

Does anyone actually thank that when asked the staff is going say that they do not like doing the singing and dancing on the tables? Of course they are just going to smile and say yes they enjoy it. They have to put on the happy face at all times or they can loose their jobs.

Apparently several people on here HAVE heard their waiters say they don't like it. Others of us have had the opposite experience and have had waiters tell us which night the songs or dances are their favorites.

Could it be somewhat a case of stereotyping to suggest that these waiters are all trapped and unable to change their situations - stuck in jobs where they are being exploited? Do you think they view themselves as victims? Or are we trying to take up the cause of someone who doesn't even have a complaint?

your wrong and you don't know what you are talking about talk to the staff they aren't on a slave ship for gods sake. those people work in laundry

jk about the last part. :-)

Apparently several people on here HAVE heard their waiters say they don't like it. Others of us have had the opposite experience and have had waiters tell us which night the songs or dances are their favorites.

Could it be somewhat a case of stereotyping to suggest that these waiters are all trapped and unable to change their situations - stuck in jobs where they are being exploited? Do you think they view themselves as victims? Or are we trying to take up the cause of someone who doesn't even have a complaint?

your wrong and you don't know what you are talking about talk to the staff they aren't on a slave ship for gods sake. those people work in laundry

jk about the last part. :-)

I could care less if they like doing the show or their jobs. It is their job so they do it, period. They are certainly not stuck in their jobs. They can leave anytime that they like. They are not slaves. Take up any cause that you like. Did I leave anything out for you two?:rolleyes:

Archived