Boeing 777-200ER OR 757-200?

Pearl64

I have been looking at flights for our cruise out of Tilbury on August 17 out of either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. These are all on Continental. Prices are similar from both airports and the schedules are similar, but to get to Newark from Pittsburgh one must take a DeHaviland prop which I really don't care to take. But the main difference I see is the flight from Newark to LHR. Which aircraft is better turbulence wise and comfort? I have checked on seatguru that the 777 has .7 of an inch wider seat. Normally I would just take whatever but this is a long flight. Does this make that much difference?

Prices are going up every time I look--now about $200. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and buy. We are flying open jaw but even round trip prices aren't that much cheaper. I have searched all sorts of scenarios--Delta, United, American, Icelandair--you name it. I have also checked driving to other airports but not that much of a price difference. We will be returning via Oslo to either Pittsburgh or Cleveland on September 10. Total price right now is about $2400 including all taxes and fees.

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.

Pearl

I flew a TATL on CO in Jan on a 757 and thought coach was extremely uncomfortable. On the way back, I was able to get an aisle seat in row 15, which was much better. These seats aren't available for selection until the 24 hour online check in. The plane feels really cramped and tight.

I have never flown CO on a 777, but just by looking at the chart, would probably prefer this. However, I'd rather skip coach in CO altogether, as admittedly am spoiled by economy plus on UA.

That's $2300 for two people, right?

Broad generality but the 777 is a much larger and heavier aircraft, and if there's any turbulence you will feel it somewhat less. Some other considerations....the 757 has the same cabin cross-section as a 737 so there's only one aisle and getting up to walk around will be affected by cabin service carts and other passengers a lot more than the twin aisle 777. Depending on your physique, the extra width on the 777 may be valuable or unimportant.

IFE is in-seat on both, but a larger selection is available on the 777. Getting off the plane and into Customs could be quicker on the 757 since the herd is smaller.

Why is the turboprop a concern? The other choice is an ERJ...same "experience" on both.

The 757 wasn't really designed to be a transatlantic aircraft but several airlines use it now for some of the short to mid range flights. The single aisle is a drawback as far as moving around the cabin to get to the lavs or just to stretch your legs. As for turbulence, sitting over and forward of the wing is the best place to be on most aircraft. I was a flight attendant for many years and really liked the 757 but it can be a very bumpy ride in the last few rows of seats even in moderate turbulence.

I have been looking at flights for our cruise out of Tilbury on August 17 out of either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. These are all on Continental. Prices are similar from both airports and the schedules are similar, but to get to Newark from Pittsburgh one must take a DeHaviland prop which I really don't care to take. But the main difference I see is the flight from Newark to LHR. Which aircraft is better turbulence wise and comfort? I have checked on seatguru that the 777 has .7 of an inch wider seat. Normally I would just take whatever but this is a long flight. Does this make that much difference?

Prices are going up every time I look--now about $200. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and buy. We are flying open jaw but even round trip prices aren't that much cheaper. I have searched all sorts of scenarios--Delta, United, American, Icelandair--you name it. I have also checked driving to other airports but not that much of a price difference. We will be returning via Oslo to either Pittsburgh or Cleveland on September 10. Total price right now is about $2400 including all taxes and fees.

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.

I would consider of not flying into LGW or LHR, and instead change somewhere like FRA,AMS,BRU,CDG or DUB and then catch a connecting flight to LCY/London City, which is quite near Tilbury (East London). If you do fly into LHR, remember it's the wrong side of London (West London), and requires a somewhat annoying transit across the entire city.

Thank you all for you input. My thinking was that the 777 would be able to handle the turbulence better. I always try to fly over the wings. It is just my paranoia with flying. The double aisle would be a benefit. My husband would appreciate the larger seat. Since we do not fly in the same row, we do have choices. I drive him crazy with my flying inabilities so we have solved it by not sitting next to one another. But one time, he got someone who was worse at flying than I am.

Yes, it is $2400 for both of us. I wish I had enough points to upgrade, but at present I do not. Maybe someday I can enjoy First Class. I see that CO is now offering extra legroom like United. Perhaps I can get that for my husband.

I just wish I had a crystal ball that would just place me from PA to over the pond with just a wish. Dream on!

Again, thanks.

Pearl

Thank you all for you input. My thinking was that the 777 would be able to handle the turbulence better. I always try to fly over the wings. It is just my paranoia with flying. The double aisle would be a benefit. My husband would appreciate the larger seat. Since we do not fly in the same row, we do have choices. I drive him crazy with my flying inabilities so we have solved it by not sitting next to one another. But one time, he got someone who was worse at flying than I am.

the amount of turbulence is based on the wing loading (weight/wing area) of the aircraft. The higher the wing loading, the less turbulence you will feel

757-200:

weight: 115,680kg

wing area: 181.25 m²

wing loading: 638kg/m²

777-200:

weight: 247,200kg

wing area: 427.8 m²

wing loading: 578kg/m²

So in theory, you'd feel less turbulence on a 757-200

I would consider of not flying into LGW or LHR, and instead change somewhere like FRA,AMS,BRU,CDG or DUB and then catch a connecting flight to LCY/London City, which is quite near Tilbury (East London). If you do fly into LHR, remember it's the wrong side of London (West London), and requires a somewhat annoying transit across the entire city.
An excellent idea. Unfortunately for this OP, a quick search suggests that LCY can only be reached from Pittsburgh or Cleveland by a two-connection itinerary, which is probably more hassle than the cross-London transfer.

I see that CO is now offering extra legroom like United. Perhaps I can get that for my husband.

AZJohn is correct. CO does not have an Economy Plus section like UA. The only seats with extra legroom are the bulkheads and exit row seats. These are just a few seats in coach, and elite flyers will have the first pick of them. I would not count on this option.

IMO, this is a ridiculous article and CO's news release is also misleading. Makes it sound as if there's lots of extra legroom available in lots of seats. There just isn't! And, it was always available free to anyone at the 24 hour check in time. Now they are just trying to charge for it!

To answer your question about the extra legroom on CO, I received an email from CO as I am a OnePass member. I really had not researched it that well except for the fact that I don't think you can get it unless it is within 24 hours out. I don't mind flying UA but their price was $500 more and then to pay for the extra legroom on top of that. The connections seemed better than with UA. It made no sense to fly to Denver to get to Pittsburgh which was what one UA flight offered. The other airlines wanted us to spend 12 hours in either LHR or Amsterdam on our way back. That made no sense to me so I will probably stick with either CO or UA.

Thanks for the answer to the turbulence question. And, I know it is all relative.

Pearl

Thanks for the answer to the turbulence question. And, I know it is all relative.

I also wanted to point out that the flight you dismissed on a deHaviland Dash 8; really shouldn't be. They're nice airliners, with a superb safety record and passenger safety numbers that are equal with small jetliners, and way ahead of every other prop feeder aircraft.

Archived