Star Princess Box Lunches?

TheGenie

They hardly mentioned any restrictions on our last cruise.

All depends on the ports visited. Usually, just a small paragraph in the Princess patters warning about taking food off the ship while going ashore. Many ports we have visited have this law, and we (along with the rest of the passengers) have even had our belongings searched when getting off looking for food stuffs.

All depends on the ports visited. Usually, just a small paragraph in the Princess patters warning about taking food off the ship while going ashore. Many ports we have visited have this law, and we (along with the rest of the passengers) have even had our belongings searched when getting off looking for food stuffs.

We were in the Caribbean this past Feb. and I think I recall it mentioned one time but never in any Patter.

Are "Box Lunches" available to take off the ship while you are in port?
Almost always, NO. The only time I've ever received a box lunch on a Princess cruise before disembarking on a tour was in the Amazon, where there weren't any other options for an all-day tour.

Many countries strictly regulate any food or flowers taken off the ship; you'll see a notice in the Patter. I've been to quite a few ports where purses and backpacks have been searched and food confiscated as people got off the ship, much to their dismay. They obviously figured that the country's laws didn't apply to them.

Wow, the answer to this question is NO? Because on the Princess website - under the food/dietary restrictions section I believe (where you look at your individual cruise booking) - it said that Princess would in fact offer you a boxed lunch if you need one.

And as an aside - are my observations correct that the South American countries seem to be more 'strict' with their food rules compared to European countries?

And as an aside - are my observations correct that the South American countries seem to be more 'strict' with their food rules compared to European countries?
No; not to my knowledge. There are many countries that are very strict; among the strictest are the US, New Zealand and Chile. When you disembark in Chile, passengers are lined up in the terminal and asked to set everything on the ground. A big German shepherd with two soldiers, with guns, walk down the line and check every bag. I wouldn't want to mess with them. The biggest problem I've seen when on South American cruises is if people purchase wood items, which could have bugs. Those are usually confiscated. Of course, you are warned multiple times not to buy anything wooden but people do anyway.

Several years ago, I was returning from a Med cruise back to Boston and was waiting for my bag. The dog sniffer came by and stopped next to the carry-on of the woman next to me. His handler politely asked the woman if she had any food in her bag and she said, "No." He asked again and again, she said, "No." He asked her to please take everything out to be sure. And there was an apple she'd brought off the plane and forgot about. They helped her collect her luggage and took her away.

No; not to my knowledge. There are many countries that are very strict; among the strictest are the US, New Zealand and Chile. When you disembark in Chile, passengers are lined up in the terminal and asked to set everything on the ground. A big German shepherd with two soldiers, with guns, walk down the line and check every bag. I wouldn't want to mess with them. The biggest problem I've seen when on South American cruises is if people purchase wood items, which could have bugs. Those are usually confiscated. Of course, you are warned multiple times not to buy anything wooden but people do anyway.

Several years ago, I was returning from a Med cruise back to Boston and was waiting for my bag. The dog sniffer came by and stopped next to the carry-on of the woman next to me. His handler politely asked the woman if she had any food in her bag and she said, "No." He asked again and again, she said, "No." He asked her to please take everything out to be sure. And there was an apple she'd brought off the plane and forgot about. They helped her collect her luggage and took her away.

Wow.

Took her away to....jail? :eek:

Archived