HAL ever have across-the-board sales on suites?

pschweig

My husband and I are looking for a cruise for next year. When I go to the HAL site, it says "View and Verandah" sale. Does HAL ever have an across-the-board "Suite" sale similar to this "View and Verandah" sale in which suites are discounted?

Sorry for my ignorance but I figured a long-time HAL cruiser on this board could answer this question.

I have found some good prices online check Hals price also look around you will save quite a lot if you can do your own ground work. I quite enjoy searching for prices and room location on my own. If you book online you want to make sure you have what you want making changes after require hard copy printed with signature and faxed.

We booked about 6 weeks ago for this April and got a great rate for an SZ guarantee on the Oosterdam. The rate for the suite was the same as the top range for the balcony. We booked online. Just keep checking the online sites and you will find some great rates.... far less than advertised on Holland America site. We have been on many many cruises on all the different lines using lots of different online sites and never had a problem. There are great deals to be had just look.

Nicola

If you are reflexable as to timing, you often can save a bundle on even suites by cruising in the "low season". For example, the first week of December and January offer some great deals. Also, the first and last weeks of the AK cruise season are much more reasonable. I have also noticed that the NE US/Canada cruises are lower priced in the Spring than the Fall.

DaveOKC

We booked about 6 weeks ago for this April and got a great rate for an SZ guarantee on the Oosterdam. The rate for the suite was the same as the top range for the balcony. We booked online. Just keep checking the online sites and you will find some great rates.... far less than advertised on Holland America site. We have been on many many cruises on all the different lines using lots of different online sites and never had a problem. There are great deals to be had just look.

Nicola

Yes, you can find sales on the Superior Verandah Suite categories (SS, SY, and SZ on the Vista ships, SS, SY, and SU on the Signature class, SS and SY on Prinsendam), but you will seldom find sales on the full Deluxe Verandah Suites or Penthouse Suites (categories PS and S on the S-class and R-class ships, and categories PS, SA, SB, SC on the Vista and Signature class, S and PS on Prinsendam) Sometimes you can find a reduction on the full suites after the final payment period (for new bookings only), as you get closer to the departure date.

Yes, you can find sales on the Superior Verandah Suite categories (SS, SY, and SZ on the Vista ships, SS, SY, and SU on the Signature class, SS and SY on Prinsendam), but you will seldom find sales on the full Deluxe Verandah Suites or Penthouse Suites (categories PS and S on the S-class and R-class ships, and categories PS, SA, SB, SC on the Vista and Signature class, S and PS on Prinsendam) Sometimes you can find a reduction on the full suites after the final payment period (for new bookings only), as you get closer to the departure date.

Exactly. That is what I have always observed and remember there are so few Deluxe Veranda Suites on "S" Class ships, they almost always sell out. If you wait too long, you will have a hard time booking one for many (most) cruises.

If you want to save money suites are less expensive on repositioning cruises and on the larger newer ships. The smaller the ship the earlier you should book . I love all of HALS ships when booking on the smaller ones we sometimes settle for a balcony. Nothing is better than the S suites if you can afford it. If you do not mind making all your own bookings( Flight, hotel transfers etc.)than you will save 15-20% over using a traditional TA.

We are not stuck with any one cruise line. We love all of them... NCL, Carnival, Hal, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean... we just know the date we want to sail and then search out the cruise line that fits our needs. If you don't care which ship then there are lots of great deals. We happily fly to Florida or California... doesn't matter. Again though, booking online saves a bundle and we would only ever use a TA if they were having a sale or unbelievable deal. Don't be afraid to look online, the cruise lines can never, or very rarely, match the prices. Our price for the Oosterdam is amazing as is our price on the Royal Princess to Bora Bora in the fall. Just keep looking.

Any company will typically have a sale when certain products are not selling well enough.

Top Suites ALMOST ALWAYS sell out first.

The suites ALWAYS sell out on every cruise.

Why would they offer you a lower price in order to sell something that they know someone else will buy at a higher price ??

Any company will typically have a sale when certain products are not selling well enough.

Top Suites ALMOST ALWAYS sell out first.

The suites ALWAYS sell out on every cruise.

Why would they offer you a lower price in order to sell something that they know someone else will buy at a higher price ??

To go a bit further, even some of the more desirable veranda rooms will sell early. Usually you'll find oceanview and VD and lower on sale, our HAL sailing in March of 2011 several of the rooms I was interested in are already unavailable, sure some may get cancelled, but its better to book early if you have your heart set on a particular cabin or a cabin in a particular area

Every year, we book our Suite on Maasdam for Canada/New England cruise a year in advance in order to be sure to get cabin in the location we want and the same cabin back-to-back. It is rare when one of the Deluxe Veranda Suites on Maasdam is not sold out a while in advance of sailing. It has also happened a few times the price went up rather than down as they saw the ship was selling well.

While there might not be many suite sales, this board indicates that there are quite a few "upsells" at reasonable prices. For example category SS to category SA for a few hundred $ per person, which turned out to be cheaper than booking an SA in advance. I think your run-of-the-mill Caribbean cruises give a greater chance at this, though of course it's never guaranteed. We too book what we want at the price we are comfortable with and try not to look back.

Sail

I very much took you advice on this one. I booked an S for Maasdam Boston to Montreal June 2011. I also got two of the I's on the Navigation Deck for my kids. Then I right away booked one of the modified accessible balconies for my in-laws. This will be a 90 for my father-in-law and a 60 for me so I didn't want to take any chances at missing out. As it is we will need to get scooter and wheelchair at port for them. If any other family end up going there should be plenty of other cabins for a while yet.

This is the kind of experienced advice that I find very helpful.

Dennis

Sail

I very much took you advice on this one. I booked an S for Maasdam Boston to Montreal June 2011. I also got two of the I's on the Navigation Deck for my kids. Then I right away booked one of the modified accessible balconies for my in-laws. This will be a 90 for my father-in-law and a 60 for me so I didn't want to take any chances at missing out. As it is we will need to get scooter and wheelchair at port for them. If any other family end up going there should be plenty of other cabins for a while yet.

This is the kind of experienced advice that I find very helpful.

Dennis

Dennis........

Congratulations on all the wonderful events your family will celebrate together on the beautiful Maasdam. I hope you make all happy memories of these milestones in the way we have.

Happy if anything I have written has been helpful re: Maasdam and please ask away if you think of any questions you think any of us can help with.

Your cruise will be here before you know it!!! :)

With regards to SA sales....

I can attest that at least one very well known online TA, that advertises on TV a lot, does heavily discount SA's. I got the benefit of one of their deals when I called my TA and HAL matched that TA's discounted advertised price for our Europe cruise this spring. I just checked, they are doing it again on other Europe sailings. They are pricing SA's for SC prices.

Dennis

When View & Veranda Sales are held you will find similar savings on suites if they aren’t already sold out or wait listed. If you want a suite book one as soon as the itineraries are released and then watch for a View & Veranda Sale (usually in January) and ask for a fare reduction.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Archived