Thanks RCI - Mariner - Burial At Sea

First of all my condolences to you and your family. Thanks you so much for sharing with everyone. I too was moved to tears. It was such a wonderful way to honor your parents.

I also remember your first post and as usual many of the veteran members posted some great advice for you.

It was also nice to hear that RCCL and crew helped you through such a difficult time. Thanks again.

God Bless You.

I was deeply moved by your post and am sat at my desk with tears in my eyes.

What a beautiful farewell you gave your parents and what wonderful accommodation by RCCL and the crew of Mariner who supported you so well.

Me too.....sorry for your loss, but I am glad that this was accomplished...

Peace to you and your family...

What a beautiful farewell you gave your parents and what wonderful accommodation by RCCL and the crew of Mariner who supported you so well.

Ditto here too.

Many thanks to our TA and the Folks at Royal Caribbean for accommodating our request for Burial At Sea of my parents cremains while on our Mariner cruise last week.

It was only after posting on CC that I learned such was possible and with our TA's help we were quickly able to accomplish this request. Only contacted our TA by email late afternoon of March 3 before our scheduled March 7 sailing.

Our TA received the following email from RCI:

Attn:

Per company policy which permits scattering of deceased "loved ones" ashes at sea, please find the following request.

The following individual(s) would like to spread his/her/their loved ones ashes at sea during the voyage. They will contact the purser's office upon boarding to set up a time and place for this request.

Passenger First and Last Names: .............

Vessel Name: ................................................... MARINER OF THE SEAS

Voyage Date: .................................................... 03/07/10

Reservation Number: .............................................

Stateroom Number (if available)...........................

Thank you,

Guests Flight Operations

AirSea GFO@rccl.com

Phone: 1-800-256-6649

We immediately contacted

http://www.inthelighturns.com/biodegradable.html to arrange purchase of their Peaceful Pillow Fern Water Burial - Scattering Burial Urn. They are in CA and they shipped to Crowne Plaza and it was there when we arrived on Saturday.

Once onboard before we had time to contact the purser's office, Eric from Guest Relations called us re our Request and said that Friday March 12 would be the day.

On March 12 we went with Eric to Deck 2, through Crew area to stern and he allowed up as much private time as we wanted and then I tossed the Urn overboard. At the moment of my tossing the Urn my wife looked at Eric and he was radioing the Bridge so that they would have exact coordinates. The next day we received a formal Mariner of the Seas Burial At Sea certificate with the Latitude & Longitude coordinates that signed by Capt Johnny, the Chief Officer, the Hotel Director & the Guest Services Manager.

Many thanks to RCI and the staff of Mariner for allowing us to accommodate my parents wishes.

Thank you for sharing the information. I'm sure it will be of value to many of us. So sorry for your loss but how nice to be able to accomodate their wishes.

Like all the others before, condolences to the OP and family. What a great tribute to them and their love of the sea.

Thank you OP for the link - what a great alternative to consider.

And kudos to RCI for accommodating customers requests for this service.

Sorry for your loss.

THANKS so much for posting this. When I got home from work I called my sister asking if she'd like us to do this for my parents ashes.......we both agreed!

Could you please tell me if there is a cost for this........it really doesn't matter as WE WILL DO IT.

THANKS AGAIN...........

So sorry for loss, but what a touching tribute to your parents! My mother passed away five years after an extended illness. She always loved to travel, but wanted her cremains to be buried next to my father. So when I cruise, I take some of her jewelry she gave to me to wear on formal nights, so a part of her is with me when I cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to the original poster, HolstonRiverVOL, for posting this information. I had no idea that this would be possible. My mother was an avid traveler and loved the sea. I will be burying her at sea when I sail this next January. Without you, I never would have known. Thank you again so very much.

Pamela

Tucson

My husband and I have recently finalized our final arrangements for our burial at sea... we will be cremated, and our cremains will be mixed with cement, which in turn will be molded into reef balls. Then, the reef balls will be lowered to the ocean floor, and the marine life will use them to create new habitats...we both thought it was a wonderful choice for us, as it allows us to hopefully rebuild the reefs, but also allows us to spend eternity in a body of water where we have spent some of our best times..

http://www.eternalreefs.com/

• 3 months later...

My family and I buried my father's cremains at sea in January while onboard the Voyager of the Seas. The service was very similar except that the ship's staff provided a musician for the service and a dozen long stem white roses. We opted for the lead singer of the Reggae band (as dad didn't care much for classical violin). He sang acapella, Three Little Birds. ('don't you worry, cuz, every little things gonna be alright') then as my brother-in-law dropped the biodegradable urn over the side of the ship - we all tossed a long stem rose into the sea! WOW! My dad had to be smiling on us that day - It was PERFECT!

My family and I buried my father's cremains at sea in January while onboard the Voyager of the Seas. The service was very similar except that the ship's staff provided a musician for the service and a dozen long stem white roses. We opted for the lead singer of the Reggae band (as dad didn't care much for classical violin). He sang acapella, Three Little Birds. ('don't you worry, cuz, every little things gonna be alright') then as my brother-in-law dropped the biodegradable urn over the side of the ship - we all tossed a long stem rose into the sea! WOW! My dad had to be smiling on us that day - It was PERFECT!

Wow. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this with us. So sorry for your loss but the ceremony sounds totally awesome. I'm sure your father thought it was wonderful.

Tim

I don't think I could have said it any better... I was surprised at how touched I was by what you wrote. I'm sorry for your loss, but happy to hear of such a moving tribute to your parents. Thank you for sharing.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank you so much for posting this. WE will be having this done with my parents ashes on The Allure of the Sea's Inaugural. I wasn't sure they would honor our request since its The Inaugural but they have..........THANKS again!!!! This will truly be special..........

To the OP I'm so sorry for your loss. As a Bereavement Counsellor I am so touched that you have shared your thoughts and experiences which ,as you can see, have helped so many on this thread. I feel truly humbled to have read everyone's posts and for our loved ones who have passed on it's a true testament to the love of family that you are able to have such a touching and meaningful ceremony for your loved ones.

• 5 years later...

I just found this thread from 2010. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences burying their loved ones ashes at sea? I am hoping to honor my aunt's request on RCCL Allure of the Seas in Nov.

Thanks for any help and info.