Question about snorkeling stuff

galamars

Can we rent or borrow mask/snorkel/fins from the ship or shore excursion places? Or do we have to bring our own? We are looking at a cruise to the South Pacific, so definitely will be doing some snorkeling. I know a lot of people prefer to buy their own to take with them when going to resorts because of hygiene reasons, but we're just looking to keep our options open. Thanks :)

We just got back from cruising in the eastern caribbean. We did a deep water dolphin swim where they provided a brand new snorkel tube and mask and let us keep it. We also went snorkeling in St. Maarten and they would have provided the snorkel equipment but we brought our newly acquired stuff. We were supposed to do another snorkel excursion but it got cancelled however, the description for the excursion also said they would have supplied the equipment.

Sorry for the long answer but I guess my point is that every place we went to did supply the equipment. Also, the description of the excursion should tell you if it will be provided.

We bought our own snorkeling equiptment. The thought of useing a snorkel that has been in a bunch of peoples mouth, just grosses me out. I know they supposed to clean them but still. Yuck

Most excursions, private and ship based, will provide equipment for you. Often there will be beaches with places you can rent equipment for anywhere from $5-$15, depending on the place.

DH and myself have our own equipment and we always bring it with us. It helps to have something you know will fit and are adjusted to using. Sometimes it may be difficult to find the right size fins or a mask that fits your face.

Unless you snorkle alot, it's not really worth it to buy equipment. They clean them with a bleach solution....any "germs" should be totally wiped-out!

Obviously, you don't snorkel. The bleach solution some of the excursion companies use is a bucket with 50+ snorkels sitting in murky water. Yuck.

To the OP, I would suggest buying at least a mask and snorkel before your trip at a local store that will fit your correctly. Nothing worse than a leaky mask. You can always just rent fins so you can save the room in your luggage.

You will end up saving money in the long run by purchasing your own equipment instead of renting.

Unless you snorkle alot, it's not really worth it to buy equipment. They clean them with a bleach solution....any "germs" should be totally wiped-out!

Ok. Each to thier own but I still am not going to put something in my mouth that has been goodness only knows where.:eek::eek:

It's really not that expensive. We got ours from Amazon. DH prefers our equipment because when we rent snorkles they are never dry and he breathes in salt water. We also just got "travel fins" that are really small to pack. Can't wait to bring them along on our next trip!

A mask and snorkel is a good idea, as others said, you can find one that fits you and that you like. However, going too discount can have it's disadvantages as some masks won't be as good as what they have.

If you don't want your own mastk, than I suggest to just pick up the snorkel piece They run from as little as a few dollars to around $10. They just clip on to the whatever mask you use. Then you don't have to worry about what might be in the sanitizer.

I always recommend buying your own. We own our own mask and snorkel that was purchased at a dive shop. Both my mask and my DW's mask have prescription lenses. Also, the lenses are tinted pink which improves the clarity and color in the water. Today, we just purchased the dive master kit at Costco which includes Mask, Snorkel, and Travel Fins. We wanted the travel fins. I am not sure what we are going to do with the mask and snorkel.

For the mask, I recommend going to your local dive shop. First, they will fit the mask for your face. This should prevent it from leaking. Second, for women, they will sell, and you should buy, a different strap for the mask which will prevent the hair from getting caught.

As to the snorkel, you can get that at the dive shop, or buy a kit with the snorkel, mask (that I would throw away), and travel fins.

As to fins, its not necessary to purchased fins. With most excursions (private or through the ship), they will have fins for you to borrow.

We actually did both. My daughter brought her own because she has issues with germs. I was concerned about the space and weight to pack them as we had to fly in. I did not get sick using their equipment and thought it was well cleaned and cared for.

I bring my own mask and snorkel. I also bring along a small bottle of anti-fogging lens cleaner.

In addition to the hygiene and fit reasons, the snorkel I have is superior to that typically provided by excursions. There are two significant differences which combine to make snorkeling much more pleasant. Excursion snorkels are, more often than not, simply tubes in the shape of a J with a flexible mouth piece fitted to the lower opening and a circular opening at the top. My snorkel has a "purge" valve at the bottom of the J which allows me to easily clear any water from the snorkel. It also has a design at the top of the J that greatly reduces the chance of water being splashed into the tube. More expensive snorkels have valves at the top that seal when submerged.

Archived