Being Bumped From Your Room

Bookitt

We are on the Legend heading out on Mar 21. Both ourselves and another couple booked our rooms a month ago, but we were informed that because we each only had two people in a quad room that there was a 5% possibility that we could be bumped to an equivalent room, if the quad was needed. It looks like the ship is pretty well sold out now, especially for balcony rooms. My question is, if the unthinkable happens, when would we be informed? Would Carnival or our TA call us beforehand, or would they be total bastiches, and tell us when we board? If anyone has ever been "bumped" this way, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

We are on the Legend heading out on Mar 21. Both ourselves and another couple booked our rooms a month ago, but we were informed that because we each only had two people in a quad room that there was a 5% possibility that we could be bumped to an equivalent room, if the quad was needed. It looks like the ship is pretty well sold out now, especially for balcony rooms. My question is, if the unthinkable happens, when would we be informed? Would Carnival or our TA call us beforehand, or would they be total bastiches, and tell us when we board? If anyone has ever been "bumped" this way, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

we were bumped last year without being consulted. this happened when we went to the vip lounge to board after our luggage was handed over to a porter. we went to a balony, they called it an upgrade which it was but i had picked a cabin out that dh and i wanted. they seemed to feel insulted them when i said something even telling us our travel agent knew all about it, which he did not.

speaking to the people who were in the cabin we selected and ocean view we figured out they must have booked both of us in the same cabin computer error. we did ask carnival what we should do in the future they told us to tell our travel agent to mark our reservation no change""" yea

bia

It does happen once in a while, but it's rare. However, if for some reason Carnival needs to bump you to a different cabin, they will normally bump you to a higher category for your "inconvenience".

If you were allowed to book a quad cabin with only two passengers, it means that your particular sailing is not expected to have any occupancy restriction, so I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Bumping a passenger out of a cabin is Carnival's least favorite way of dealing with occupancy issues.

Princess has apparently way oversold their sailing for the Island Princess this weekend because the occupancy department was stalking on of the other agents in my office today to see if her clients would be willing to take a different sailing. Yikes!

I got bumped a few years ago, no call, no warning, I just happened to notice when I was looking at my reservation that my room number had changed about two weeks before the sailing. I had already printed my luggage tags and had to reprint! Thankfully I looked so that my luggage didn't end up in the wrong room!

You can ask that your reservation be marked "no upgrades" and they won't assume you would prefer a balcony when you paid for an oceanview.

However, even a note won't prevent them from taking a triple or quad if only two people are booked in it, if they need that cabin.

Another case where they can unconditionally move you is if you are book in a handicap cabin but do not have a medical note on file.

It does happen once in a while, but it's rare. However, if for some reason Carnival needs to bump you to a different cabin, they will normally bump you to a higher category for your "inconvenience".

If you were allowed to book a quad cabin with only two passengers, it means that your particular sailing is not expected to have any occupancy restriction, so I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Bumping a passenger out of a cabin is Carnival's least favorite way of dealing with occupancy issues.

Why would some sailing have "occupancy restriction"....I was told it was a coast guard thing....dosen't even make sense???

Thanks

Why would some sailing have "occupancy restriction"....I was told it was a coast guard thing....dosen't even make sense???

Thanks

What they are talking about there is that Carnival sometimes will not allow you to book 2 people into a room that can sleep 4, or book 3 into a room that sleeps 4, etc. You have to take a room that can sleep exactly how many you have. They'll do this if they expect to sell out the cruise, just to get the most money out of it.

Guest cadd4u

I was bumped once from Carnival as I was in a quad with only 2 pax and was given no notice. I found out by checking my reservation. Maybe wouldn't have minded if they didn't give me the worst cabin they could find.

I was bumped once from Carnival as I was in a quad with only 2 pax and was given no notice. I found out by checking my reservation. Maybe wouldn't have minded if they didn't give me the worst cabin they could find.

That sucks...but the moral of the story is, if you're 2 people, don't book a quad.

You can ask that your reservation be marked "no upgrades" and they won't assume you would prefer a balcony when you paid for an oceanview.

However, even a note won't prevent them from taking a triple or quad if only two people are booked in it, if they need that cabin.

Another case where they can unconditionally move you is if you are book in a handicap cabin but do not have a medical note on file.

When I booked a triple balcony on the Upper deck I was told it was not only the last balcony on that deck but that it was a handicap accessible room. If by chance someone needed that room we would be "bumped". I wonder how often that happens. I would never want to keep someone out of the accessible room yet on the other hand I wanted that room on that floor for accessibility to my friends & family in the same vicinity. Hey, but if the upgrade fairy visits, I'm all for it!

When I booked a triple balcony on the Upper deck I was told it was not only the last balcony on that deck but that it was a handicap accessible room. If by chance someone needed that room we would be "bumped". I wonder how often that happens. I would never want to keep someone out of the accessible room yet on the other hand I wanted that room on that floor for accessibility to my friends & family in the same vicinity. Hey, but if the upgrade fairy visits, I'm all for it!

I've often wondered if all cabins are booked, and someone handicapped comes to book, would they be told "No cabins available for that sailing", or would they accept, and then bump someone that already has the cabin booked?

CCL was really nice about the whole thing..they called about a month out befor sailing and told us that a family need d a quad room and if we would mind moving to a cabin directly above ours:)..

understanding that..and going up a deck was certainly OK with us..to our surprise when i looked at the deck plan s..they had put us into a penthouse..

What they are talking about there is that Carnival sometimes will not allow you to book 2 people into a room that can sleep 4, or book 3 into a room that sleeps 4, etc. You have to take a room that can sleep exactly how many you have. They'll do this if they expect to sell out the cruise, just to get the most money out of it.

Gotcha....guess i have always been on busy cruises....they alway said It HAS to be an exact match for me....even on disney.

I wonder how often Carnival bumps people and even though they give them what they consider an "upgrade" when in reality it's really a bad cabin due to poor location. For example I would not consider it an upgrade if I was moved from a cabin that was sandwiched between cabin decks to a cabin that was higher up but right under the pool deck and every morning I was awakened to chairs being dragged across the deck. I guess that's the chance you take though. On our recent cruise on the Spirit we chose a quad cabin for only 2 people because we wanted to be near our friends and that was the only thing available but because I read it here I knew that we could be moved. Our TA didn't tell us that though. She never even told me it was a quad. I just asked her if she could find a cabin near our friends and she sent me cabin number and I OK'd it. I found out on my own that it was a quad. I would have been mad if I hadn't known that it was a quad and we were moved to a bad location. She really should have explained that to me but that's why I love this board. I do all my own research. Luckily for us we weren't moved but I would have understood if we had been.

I would be a little upset seeing that I booked an aft-wraparound suite on the Legend. I don't want to be "upgraded". But I understand that it could happen because we are booked in 7298 which I found out from these boards is a 3 person suite.

Princess has apparently way oversold their sailing for the Island Princess this weekend because the occupancy department was stalking on of the other agents in my office today to see if her clients would be willing to take a different sailing. Yikes!

Exactly. That happened to me on our last Carnival cruise in October. We had 2 inside cabins side by side for our family. They were just double occ cabins but they oversold the ship and our TA called us when were driving to San Diego to say Carnival was asking us to consider moving into a quad cabin and they would give us $100 OBC. Big deal. I was like, if they move us into a balcony quad I'll take it but for $100 I'll stick with my cabins I booked. After all, we paid only $120 extra to have a separate cabin to begin with so that $100 obc was nothing.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread for more replies and info. I did a search about being bumped from a specific cabin because I read a reply that someone made yesterday that mentioned bumping. So, other than the little square indicating a quad on Carnival's deck plan, how do I know if a particular cabin is Handicap Accessible? I want to pick a specific cabin and then choose another nearby for our children. I don't want to worry about being bumped and end up on another deck entirely from the kids. (The "kids" are 21, 18, and 15 so I don't think Carnival would think it a concern to separate us.) I'm specifically looking at 9B's for the two of us on deck 6,7, or 8 on the Miracle. If anyone knows if those cabins are HA, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

That sucks...but the moral of the story is, if you're 2 people, don't book a quad.

I agree with halos... If you are only 2 people, book a cabin for 2 people only and that way you know where you are and don't have to worry about being bumped...

Now, with that being said, if you are cruising on March 21 I can almost certainly bet that you will be bumped... Why you ask???? Because its Spring Break time and I believe there will be lots of families, i.e, Mom/Dad and their 2 kids who will be cruising that week...

So, either change now and know for certain where you will be or take a chance and wait... but that could be a back week to take a chance...

Archived