NCL "nickel and dimes" - Why?

ShedQueen77

With NCL, if I ordered something I didn't like, I have always been able to order something else.... Try it the next time, you may be surprised....

Food is so subjective I may like something you don't and vice a versa. What is great with NCL is that they don't force feed you like a baby....

[quote name='billie5']Force feed the baby? :confused:

I think you meant to say the duck or goose. I hope you are not trying to make fois gras d'enfant! :D

Bill[/quote]

Oh sure! Bring up THAT idea!
Now consider this-----where do they get Baby Oil from? :eek:

We have tried two pay restaurants with NCL - and we have cruised NCL a total of, well in about a week or so it'll be our third time. Never had a bad "free" meal, meaning MDR/Room Service/Buffet/Grill and Blue Lagoon.

Le Bistro was great 2 years ago on the Dawn. We also tried Cagneys a day later - it was honestly horrible. The fries were ok, mine were seasoned beyond belief and my g/f's had no taste and the cheese wasn't nearly melted. On to the shrimp, they were really good - jumbo shrimp, tasted fresh - was very pleased. The steak/Filet was horrible. I'm sorry. I'm not comparing it to anything because again, its not a 5 star restaurant but its not McDonalds. I am just talking about the actual meat - I don't remember exactly how it was cooked and whatnot so don't bother asking; funny part was we heard Cagney's was no good but my g/f treated me. Never again.

However Le Bistro, outrageous. We might try a pay place on the upcoming GEM, we'll see...Just my two cents!

[quote name='CaliforniaTraveler']NCL food is pretty bad, and it is all the same whether you get it at the Garden Cafe, one of the two main restaurants or one of the speciality restaurants. We ate at the Italian place and I could not eat the steak I ordered. All of the meat on that ship tastes funny to me. Also, NCL ships are inferior to Celebrity and RC, so it is gutsy of them to ask for more for that food. The only thing that changes is the decor. I post this candidly so that others will not be as disappointed as I was. I will never go on NCL again. The only redeeming feature is their entertainment, which rates an "A".[/quote]

I've done 2 Celebrity cruises and just got off my 2nd NCL cruise this past Saturday. I would highly disagree that NCL ships are inferior to Celebrity ships. The decor is different, and depending on exactly which ships you're refering to, it sometimes has to do more with when the ship was originally built and what the "going thing" was at that time. Both NCL ships I've sailed had far superior atriums and pool decks than Celebrity. But in all fairness, I've yet to sail Solstice. Food is highly subjective, so I toss out most people's comments when it comes to that. Sure, I've had better food on some ships than others, but that can even vary ship by ship within the same line (including Celebrity).

Now, don't get me wrong - I love Celebrity, but I also love NCL. Both for different reasons, but I found great food on both lines. Service on X is more formal, and for those who are looking for that, X is a great choice. But we are more itinerary driven and X's fleet is much smaller so they have fewer options. We will sail both NCL and X again, when they have the itinerary, timing and pricing we are looking for.

Bottom line, I think it's foolish to go on different lines and expect them all to be the same. What would be the point?

[quote name='DMH15']piercer-

And tavern on the green, (very nice have dined there) went out of business last year.

Hey guys, let's all agree: FOOD IS SUBJECTIVE!
![/quote]

I will agree that taste is subjective. Color, appearance and presentation may be partially so.

But size, weight and temperature are NOT.

[quote name='DMH15']Some of us like the al a carte cruising model that NCL provides. Some don't... So they call it "nickel and diming". . . . [/quote]

I guess you haven't been on any other lines. Every mass market line right now is using the same a la carte model tha NCL uses, the only difference is that NCL has more specialty dining rooms. The rest is pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Answering the OP - you can look at it this way. Either none of the lines nickle and dime you or all of them do, because for the most part they all have identical pricing models.

[quote name='zqvol']I guess you haven't been on any other lines. Every mass market line right now is using the same a la carte model tha NCL uses, the only difference is that NCL has more specialty dining rooms. The rest is pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other.
[/quote]
Not all mass-market cruise lines [I]guarantee[/I] you can have anytime dining, even if you request it. Not all cruise lines [I]welcome[/I] resort casual attire in all dining rooms at all times. Some still have formal nights where they expect you to wear a tuxedo or suit. There is still a difference among mass-market cruise lines.

[quote name='sottovoce']Not all mass-market cruise lines [I]guarantee[/I] you can have anytime dining, even if you request it. Not all cruise lines [I]welcome[/I] resort casual attire in all dining rooms at all times. Some still have formal nights where they expect you to wear a tuxedo or suit. There is still a difference among mass-market cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

you are right. Although the mass marketed lines are more alike than different, each has a personality or nitch: NCLs is the total free to do what you want theme..That is what we love about it so much..

Nita

[quote name='sottovoce']Not all mass-market cruise lines [I]guarantee[/I] you can have anytime dining, even if you request it. Not all cruise lines [I]welcome[/I] resort casual attire in all dining rooms at all times. Some still have formal nights where they expect you to wear a tuxedo or suit. There is still a difference among mass-market cruise lines.[/quote]

Yes, but they all charge extra for specialty restaurants, charge extra for sodas, charge extra for alcoholic beverages, charge for Bingo. And it is the 'nickel and diming' that this thread is about, not the differences.

[quote name='tgptmp']Prunes are free but 2 ply tp costs extra.[/QUOTE]

Not if you smuggle your own onboard :D
Do they make a rumrunner for that ;)

[quote name='fin']I will agree that taste is subjective. Color, appearance and presentation may be partially so.

But size, weight and temperature are NOT.[/QUOTE]

I've never worried about size or weight of portions since they always seem willing to bring me more :D

[quote name='NMLady']Yes, but they all charge extra for specialty restaurants, charge extra for sodas, charge extra for alcoholic beverages, charge for Bingo. And it is the 'nickel and diming' that this thread is about, not the differences.[/quote]
Nickel and diming to me means charging for something that you normally wouldn't expect to pay for, such as the use of a pool towel, or maybe entertainment, not for specialty restaurants, alcohol or bingo.

NCL didn't seem any worse than 2 other lines with things that are extra. The only difference I saw was pushing those poppers, or whatever they are, before shows and they certainly aren't anything anyone needs.;)

Now, if they start charging for TP, I'll call THAT nickel and diming.:p

[quote name='mbisson']

I've never worried about size or weight of portions since they always seem willing to bring me more :D[/quote]

Seriously!!

I prefer smaller portions (and I am not a small eater)...but if you have a couple courses, a smaller entree works well. You need to leave room for dessert, after all :)
My DH usually orders two entrees most nights.

To me, there is SO much food and eating on a ship that sometimes by day 3 or 4, I get tired of eating. :eek:

Not that it stops me.
:rolleyes:

[quote name='halos']Seriously!!

I prefer smaller portions (and I am not a small eater)...but if you have a couple courses, a smaller entree works well. You need to leave room for dessert, after all :)
My DH usually orders two entrees most nights.

To me, there is SO much food and eating on a ship that sometimes by day 3 or 4, I get tired of eating. :eek:

Not that it stops me.
:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

i agree and Lord knows I like to eat. If I want more I can order it, but who needs to have a 5 course meal and leave the table overly stuffed?

Nita

Archived