Planning obsession

I too love the planning. I'm not as obsessed as some of you. I do have all my excursions booked and paid for, all my gifts and gear are ordered, my e-docs are printed (yes I wasted the ink for that), setsail pass has been printed since before final payment date, soda packages are purchased, Portofino's booked - still deciding on spa packages though. I am leaving somethings to surprise me - like what the ship looks like, when we will actually go to dinner (we have MTD so gratuities are covered already). I've got all my clothes (or I think so anyway) ready to go, got clothes ready for my oldest and the medicine "cabinet" is also ready to go. Still got to make sure I have enough for my youngest. DH is out of town next week and he's refusing to pack any of his stuff before he gets back - on Friday and we leave on Saturday!! UGH!!!

My in-laws are going with us and they are so laid back about it all! I figure I will do that when I get on the ship because I won't have to stress about making sure we get the excursions we want or anything else.

Hi. My name is Alison and I am a planaholic.

In the months leading up to a cruise I research and plan every single detail. What usually happens is that I get there and go with the flow, BUT I am informed of my options. More importantly the planning helps keep me from going completely INSANE during count down time. (Of course, my boyfriend would argue that this is why I am more insane, but to each their own)

The planning is 1/2 the fun for me. Although I do not plan what we will do once onboard (other than shore excursions), I am constantly looking at deck plans trying to pick the perfect cabin and the best itin. I start usually 18 months out from the next cruise...sometimes sooner as it is so much fun to plan.

I am ready to look at Caribbean for Nov 2011 but the cruise lines have not posted their itins yet...what are they waiting for? :)

I'm with you, Lisa. I spend hours looking at the maps (deck plans, ports of call, departure port) and making sure I know where everything is. The day to day activities I leave to spur of the moment (my DH wouldn't allow me to overplan that much).

I also spend months making lists, planning out my wardrobe, etc....

And, I heard the Caribbean iterneraries will be coming out the first week of April.

It's all about ANTICIPATION and enjoying the cruise (vicariously!) ahead of time. Planning and dreaming extends the fun for months...

It provides great value for our money. Just think of how much time we invest in our cruise by planning, researching, getting all the details before it happens. Consider that "vacation time" . We end up with a 7 day cruise but the 6 month enjoyable "itinerary design" is part of it. So for $1500 you actually get a 6 month & 7 day vacation! That's a little over $8.00 per day! See, and you thought you weren't good with your money...

It provides great value for our money. Just think of how much time we invest in our cruise by planning, researching, getting all the details before it happens. Consider that "vacation time" . We end up with a 7 day cruise but the 6 month enjoyable "itinerary design" is part of it. So for $1500 you actually get a 6 month & 7 day vacation! That's a little over $8.00 per day! See, and you thought you weren't good with your money...

I totally agree with you! I've been obsessive on this planning thing and my trip is not until May, but I'm online at least 6 hrs a day planning, reading, researching etc so I'm totally prepared for my trip and I think its all a good part of my vacation!!! Obsession here I come

Stephanie:p

I'm with you, Lisa. I spend hours looking at the maps (deck plans, ports of call, departure port) and making sure I know where everything is. The day to day activities I leave to spur of the moment (my DH wouldn't allow me to overplan that much).

I also spend months making lists, planning out my wardrobe, etc....

And, I heard the Caribbean iterneraries will be coming out the first week of April.

This pretty much describes me too...the hours of planning and researching so I know what the options are ahead of time but leaving the day to day for spur of the moment. Except for our Nassau excursion. :D And yes, DH just sits there and says whatever you want to do is fine with me, dear. And at least 50% of our conversation on the 14 hour trip will be about the cruise! LOL

My heart is warmed :D

I posted this thinking, "What is WRONG with me???", and half expected people to tell me to loosen up and have a drink!

One of my goals for this cruise: Enjoy the moment, and do whatever I want to do. Stop worrying about what I'm missing.

I guess I will forge on ahead in my obsession, and hopefully, I'll be able to let go when I'm on board.

My other issue is that I am cruising with a friend who is a first timer, so I feel like I want her to have the best time ever! I have talked up cruising for a year with her, telling her how great it is. I want her to feel that, too!

I am also a planaholic. I booked my August 2011 cruise first thing this morning as soon as it went on sale. My Mom is also a planaholic so between the two of us we have a hotel selected for Venice, all of our shore excursions (or tours on our own) planned, and the cruise is still a year and a half away.

Excuse me now while I go see if anyone has started a roll call. If not, it'll be up real soon :D

Like most everything else in life, I approach my (second) cruise with an uber amount of planning and thinking and perfecting. It's so extreme that I feel the need to plan out EXACTLY what I am going to do the minute I step on board, to exactly how much time I want to spend by the pool....do I want to be by the pool and people watch and watch the crazy games....or do I want to hide on a quiet deck with a book and a drink? This is all even BEFORE I set foot on board!

What exactly am I going to eat for dinner? If I sleep in, will I miss anything?

It's ridiculous!!! I know! Relax, right? The whole point of a cruise!

It's just, it happens so infrequently that I feel like I have to live up every moment, and plan to the "T", so I don't miss anything.

Any recovering obsessive-aholics out there????

I'm not recovering. I'm a full blown obsessive-aholic! (I would start a support group, but my oh my, the planning that would involve!)

I don't actually plan to the extent you do on a cruise, because I don't know what I'm going to do until I get the Compass. But when I go anywhere else, I do the same thing as you. It makes the limited time much more productive, ya know?

I also have a VERY detailed travel-things-to-do list, starting 3 months in advance. All items are broken down between TTD outside of the house and TTD inside the house.

It's so much fun to do the planning!!

Felicia

This is my most favorite thread. I just got into an argument with my partner that he never wants to discuss the 2 cruises we have planned that I bring up everyday. I love that I am a planaholic and OCd. I have 81 days!!!

I totally have this obsession too! I am so addicted that I can't just sit and watch TV anymore with out being on my laptop reading something or looking at pictures. And then I will have to rewind the TV in order to see what I missed . But it totally pays off on our cruise. I always find the best excursions, best itineraries, best ships and so much more.

Hello, new best friend!

I also am such a planner. Friends tease me all the time, but absolutely love to travel with us because I know what to do and when to do it. Every trip we go on, whether it is a cruise or land vacation, is well researched. I get the best prices and never feel like I have missed anything. I really enjoy the planning stage, and makes the time until the vacation pass more quickly. May 2 FOS will be here before you know it and I AM READY AND WAITING!!!!

Like most everything else in life, I approach my (second) cruise with an uber amount of planning and thinking and perfecting. It's so extreme that I feel the need to plan out EXACTLY what I am going to do the minute I step on board, to exactly how much time I want to spend by the pool....do I want to be by the pool and people watch and watch the crazy games....or do I want to hide on a quiet deck with a book and a drink? This is all even BEFORE I set foot on board!

What exactly am I going to eat for dinner? If I sleep in, will I miss anything?

It's ridiculous!!! I know! Relax, right? The whole point of a cruise!

It's just, it happens so infrequently that I feel like I have to live up every moment, and plan to the "T", so I don't miss anything.

Any recovering obsessive-aholics out there????

Today is the day I KNOW I'm not alone in my OCD!

I question myself and my obsession, but no more, I've found I'm not alone, lol...Thank you all!!

I will wave my freak flag proudly! Woo Hoo

I plan away, reserve excursions, read reviews, drop excursions, plan things on my own, so much to do and see......

I'm not alone in my OCD!!

Life is Beautiful

Happy Cruising and for those on the Emerald Princess May 9th Western Caribbean, I'll see you on board!!!

Stephanie:p

You all are cracking me up! I like to call it OPD (Obsessive Planning Disorder). Whether it's the cruise or picking an apartment for my DD who is going to college in the Fall. Everything has a color coded spreadsheet. My husband busted out laughing yesterday when i explained my lovely blue (for the ocean of course) expandable with printed labels for "Flight Info", Boarding Docs, Excursions.....Passports, you get the point.

We are going with my DD's friend's and families because the girls are all seniors. I don't think the other families want to talk to me any more :)

My challenge has been that i am a cruise novice and have only been 1 Disney cruise. I have my list of ideas from the hours on CC but i would so jump all over the chance to compare to someone else's planning doc!

We leave on Sunday on the Independence!!

Can't wait.

Me too! I see myself in many of the posts. But, I will tell you that it does get better. I do all that planning stuff (and it has made for a more enjoyable and fun trip many times) but I am also more flexible now. I just like to know all the options.

I used to get on the ship and highlight the heck out of every Cruise Compass. I would fret if 2 things I wanted to do were scheduled at the same time. Now, I realize it's not a big deal to miss anything (there's always next time!). And I get to do things I never did before like just relax and chat with DH at one of those cozy bars.

Still, we just got back from the AOS and we are in a a planning frenzy! I think we have PCD - Post Cruise Depression. And the only thing that helps that is planning another cruise! So, PCD feeds OPD. Vicious cycle!

We are planning no less than 4 more cruises this year :eek: Two are 3 day cruises to get the 2 points I need for Diamond status. Then, a mediterranean in September or October and LOS the day after Christmas. And then there's the back-to-back on AOS next March...I'm so sick...:p

I tell you, I should become a cruise TA in my spare time, because it's basically what I do right now! I plan for my vacations, as well as my family's. They know I scope out great prices and deals, best time of year to go, good staterooms, affordable private excursions. My husband is amazed at how well I do this and suggests I should creat a blog about.

It's even worse now because I finished graduate school, so my time is freeing up. I just booked europe a year from now and am already studying pre-cruise hotel and private excursions...

Life is good. :D

Archived