"Instant" Maasdam, Ryndam and Statendam refits

fann1sh

Last night, I visited the website of a Texas based travel agency which advertises on this site. I flipped to the Ryndam deck plans to check a cabin number on navigation deck - and the sea view pool was gone! There were aft cabins there instead!

Whaaat???

Quickly clicked to look at Maasdam. Same thing. Statendam showed dated "pre" and "post" current drydock deck plan versions, with the same changes. Interestingly, NO lanai cabins were shown on lower prom deck for any of the 3.

The glitches seem to be fixed this morning. (I emailed them.)

My point? HAL has already released the post 2012/13 deck plans to travel agencies.

I'd hoped the second phase of the refits was possibly "on hold" in Seattle's corporate minds after all the growing pains of Veendam and Rotterdam. Apparently not as far as the "aft lift" is concerned.

Then, I tried to read a message into the fact the lower prom deck showed no lanai cabins....

It's very "high school" to try to read hidden signals into a computer glitch. ("Did he call? What did he say?" :rolleyes: )

But, if the changes simply must happen, too bad they can be done like that - "poof!" - with the click of a mouse. Sure beats leaking wading pools, and backed up toilets!

Fannish, IIRC those changes were on the HAL website, too, showing layouts (for cabin selection) both before the recent drydock date and after the drydock date. At least until the drydock plans were changed. So the TA may have "grabbed" those deck plans quite a while ago, and not updated them.

Or not :(

I'm with you -- leave those aft deck areas as they are.

• 1 month later...

Having just come off the Ryndam in May 2010 I can state without contradictaion , the aft deck area has not had changes made,no new cabins,no lani cabins, aft pool is the same,but this may change in the future>

I hope not.:(

Fannish, IIRC those changes were on the HAL website, too, showing layouts (for cabin selection) both before the recent drydock date and after the drydock date. At least until the drydock plans were changed. So the TA may have "grabbed" those deck plans quite a while ago, and not updated them.

Or not :(

I'm with you -- leave those aft deck areas as they are.

They were still using the old deck plans when all the ships were getting it all done at once...

I think the OP read a little too much into that ;)

I'm so confused!

Are you saying that in lieu of an aft pool, that site showed cabins?

HAL's plans never showed anything of the sort ... the planned (and, now perhaps on permanent hold) changes were for the poolette on the Nav deck and new cabins on the Verandah deck below. Don't ever recall HAL plans showing no aft pool at all and cabins where the pool once was.

I'm so confused!

Are you saying that in lieu of an aft pool, that site showed cabins?

HAL's plans never showed anything of the sort ... the planned (and, now perhaps on permanent hold) changes were for the poolette on the Nav deck and new cabins on the Verandah deck below. Don't ever recall HAL plans showing no aft pool at all and cabins where the pool once was.

On all the S Class and Rotterdam The Retreat is up a deck. So where the pool WAS will be rooms. UP one deck (Lido Deck) has the spa, lido pool, lido restaurant, The retreat

On all the S Class and Rotterdam The Retreat is up a deck. So where the pool WAS will be rooms. UP one deck (Lido Deck) has the spa, lido pool, lido restaurant, The retreat

Thanks ... I guess I really was confused and pretty much thought that the sea view pool was to devolve into the poolette and new cabins would be below. I wasn't thinking in terms of S vs. R class.

Thanks ... I guess I really was confused and pretty much thought that the sea view pool was to devolve into the poolette and new cabins would be below. I wasn't thinking in terms of S vs. R class.

Well, as per the DECK PLANS, Rotterdam was a little more of an S... The rest of the R class already had the pools, lido and spa all on one deck like you also see in the Vistas and Signature Class.

When I read this, I got curious, so I looked up Veendam on the travel site with the gnome. I'd noticed previously that it didn't list the lanai cabins......now I notice that it still has an aft swimming pool:confused:. It does reduce confidence in the information provided.

Having just come off the Ryndam in May 2010 I can state without contradictaion , the aft deck area has not had changes made,no new cabins,no lani cabins, aft pool is the same,but this may change in the future>

Hi IrishJim

I hope you don't mind my writing you as I see you just got off a Ryndam cruise. Was that to Alaska too? I am trying to decide between the Ryndam and Statendam for the repositioning cruise in Sept. We were all set to go on the Statendam as I believe the itinerary is better (see below)

but have read such horrific reviews of the Statendam the past few days, I wondered whether we would do better on the Ryndam? My question of you if I may is which itinerary of the two would be best?

Statendam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and Skagway

Ryndam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Tracy Arm

And which is more important to you…. The ship or the itinerary – IF you have never been to the destination nor been on either of the ships.

Would VERY much appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks so much!

HNLGAL

Hi IrishJim

I hope you don't mind my writing you as I see you just got off a Ryndam cruise. Was that to Alaska too? I am trying to decide between the Ryndam and Statendam for the repositioning cruise in Sept. We were all set to go on the Statendam as I believe the itinerary is better (see below)

but have read such horrific reviews of the Statendam the past few days, I wondered whether we would do better on the Ryndam? My question of you if I may is which itinerary of the two would be best?

Statendam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and Skagway

Ryndam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Tracy Arm

And which is more important to you…. The ship or the itinerary – IF you have never been to the destination nor been on either of the ships.

Would VERY much appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks so much!

HNLGAL

Archived