Category S Veterans: Please reply!

forevercruising1

Hello! We are planning a cruise on the Oosterdam, Category S.

I am aware of the list of perks, but I have a few additional questions that I've not been able to find answers to through searches in the boards:

1. PRIVATE DINING ROOM:

Someone told me that an additional perk for the S passengers is the use of a "private dining room". Can anyone verify this and give me more information on the details of this perk?

2. VERANDAH QUESTION:

I know that the S suites aft have chaise lounge chairs, but, from what I can tell, the regular S suites on the sides of the ship do not have lounge chairs. Instead, it looks like they just have chairs with ottomans. Again, can anyone verify this? Also, if that is the case, do you think the steward would be able to swap the chairs/ottomans with lounge chairs? (perhaps that is too much to ask for)

We plan to spend MUCH time on the balcony and we would prefer the lounge chairs, if possible.

3. LOCATION:

If we select the midship location on the Rotterdam deck, near the Neptune Lounge, will there be increased traffic in that area? Is the traffic going into/out of the Lounge going to be a disruption?

4. NEPTUNE LOUNGE:

I've read that the Lounge closes around 7 or 8 in the evening. Is the lounge accessible after that to just go and sit, read, or play a game?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies! I'll probably think of more questions, but these will get me started!

Traffic is no issue when located near the Neptune Lounge. It isn't like it is a bar serving liquor. The Lounges are ALWAYS quiet except for when there is a party held there for Suite guests.....but you would be at the party so would not care ----and it doesn't last all that long.

I assume your questions apply to Vista class ships though you did not say so. There are no AFT Suites on the others class(es)of ships.

You are correct that only the Aft Suites have the chaise lounges. The Suites along the sides of the ship have the chairs with ottomans and are very comfortable.

We only take mid-ship Suites. We like to be near the Neptune and think the 'ride is better' at a mid-ship location.

To the best of my knowledge, the only ship still using King's/Queen's Room for Suite Breakfast/Lunch is Zaandam. She has not yet had her Neptune Lounge added nor the other SOE upgrades. All other ships have discontinued having a separate location available for Suite pax use.

When we were on the Oosterdam in 2004, some of the mid-ship suites had their cabin steward bring a lounge chair to their verandah - it was very crowded with a lounge chair, 2 chairs and ottomans, a small cocktail table, a regular table and 4 chairs. There isn't any place for the cabin steward to store the chairs and ottomans so that 2 lounge chairs can be placed on the verandah. And they were also disappointed that they got the cheap plastic white lounger from the aft pool and not one of the good ones from the Lido Pool.

The Neptune Lounge usually closes around 8 or 8:30 and is locked until morning when it opens either at 7 on port days or 7:30 on sea days. So you wouldn't be able to use the lounge late in the evening for reading or playing games.

Alas, the days of suite passengers having their own dining area for breakfast and lunch are gone. We used to be able to go to either the King's Room, Queen's Room, or the Pinnacle depending on the ship. The Zaandam is presently in dry dock - due to be completed on January 29th, she will have added the Neptune Lounge - she already has the Pinnacle - formerly the Marco Polo alternative restaurant.

When we were on the Westerdam (a vista class ship) in December, for an extra charge you could eat lunch in the Pinnacle Lounge on some days, which were announced in the daily news of events.

Roberta

Yes, Roberta....

This is new to all the ships. Something different than what the OP was referencing.

They used to let "PS" and "S" pax have breakfast and lunch in the Pinnacles (King's Room/Queen's Room) on the ships. It would vary from ship to ship as to which room they would use. It would be the same menu as that served in the dining room but it was (presumably) very excellent service and more private. We went only a very few times and far prefer to have room service breakfast so do not miss they no longer offer that feature.

What you refer to is now a special lunch menu that is offered for all guests and there is a charge of $10 pp.

DaveOKC, perfect location! We were in 7061 on the Oosterdam and anything in that area near the Neptune, either starboard or port, is perfect. We now are booked in the exact location of 7055 on another HAL ship- not a Vista ship so the cabin #ing system is different, but the location of our suite is the same as yours. On another booked cruise we have the same location, but port.

Outstanding! ;)

DaveOKC

We had cabin #7053 on the Westerdam - just got home. Would never book this cabin again! The area where they take the breakfast trays from manyc cabins and the dishes from the Neptune Lounge to be cleaned is right there and many times we heard the dishes being moved from tray to "transport" (trays going back to kitchen) clanging and banging as well as the dish washer being run, ice being made, dishes breaking in roungh seas (a few times), dishes being powered cleaned for the dish washer, and just a lot of other maintenance items being done - AND - the door there is left open a lot of times.

Pinnacle for lunch.

When we were on the Statendam, the Pinnacle was open for lunch quite a few days.

This was not the case on the Westerdam. It was only open 2 days on our Eastern cruise and 1 day on our Western cruise.

The price is $10 per person - I posted the menu when we got back from the Statendam - it hasn't changed.

Looking at the Rotterdam deck diagram, though, KK, I wonder how much 7055 would be bothered. The door to 7053 is obviously directly across from a service area as you experienced, but the door to 7055 is much further down the hallway and directly across from the Neptune itself.

I wouldn't think Dave would have a problem, especially as we had friends in a suite exactly in the location that 7055 is, on another ship, and they had absolutely no noise. I could be wrong, of course, but don't think looking at the diagram I would be concerned in 7055. Sorry you did, but will be looking forward to your review. :)

We talked to both couples that had 7055.

The first week we were on board, that couple said that the noise didn't bother them as they spent little time in their cabin.

But the couple who were in 7055 the second week also said that they couldn't stand the noise. He got sea sick the first night out of Ft Lauderdale. And they said that they were light sleepers and the noise bothered them especially as he needed to nap a lot.

My DH usually has to have a nap every afternoon because of medications but he actually for the first time in quite a while napped very little - usually out on the verandah or by the pool or through an afternoon activity (he's good at that).

The "S" suites are the only way to go IMHO, and the Neptune Lounge is open to you at all times with your room key, just no food/snacks or help after

7-8:00.

On our cruise we had the room stewart bring breakfast and once lunch to our balcony and one evening we had them arrange a cocktail party with snacks. They even brought tableclothes and decorated with flowers for us. We loved how efficient they were.......and we treated them well in the end :)

You will enjoy the suite; and as far as the noise we were on the other side of the hall in the middle of the ship (which as sail7seas says, is th only place we book a cabin) so I do not know about a noise problem.

ENJOY

We had 7055 on the Westerdam. The noise you hear is from the dishes being brought into & out of the Neptune lounge. It is NOT obstrusive and it is NOT continual. We found 7055 to be a perfect location. Right across from the Neptune, a short walk to the forward or the midship elevators. We loved having 7055 and would book it again.:D

The "S" suites are the only way to go IMHO, and the Neptune Lounge is open to you at all times with your room key, just no food/snacks or help after 7-8:00.

I found we were not able to get into the Neptune Lounge on the Zuiderdam once it was closed, the separate key card they gave us for it only worked when the lounge was open.

Hello! We are planning a cruise on the Oosterdam, Category S.

3. LOCATION:

If we select the midship location on the Rotterdam deck, near the Neptune Lounge, will there be increased traffic in that area? Is the traffic going into/out of the Lounge going to be a disruption?

We were in S7056 on the Zuiderdam which is a sister ship to the O. We did not experience noise from passengers going in and out of the Neptune. The food and dishes were brought into the Neptune from the opposite side of the lounge from our suite so that was never an issue for us.

Once the door has been locked and the lights have been shut off, why would you have tried to enter the Neptune Lounge? It is evident it is closed. It is obvious it is not to be used. It is DARK. This is true of every Neptune Lounge on every ship we have sailed.

I never tried using either the key card we were given on Zuiderdam to enter Neptune Lounge or any other key to enter when it was apparent it was closed for the night. Have no idea if any of those keys would or would not have worked.

Once the door has been locked and the lights have been shut off, why would you have tried to enter the Neptune Lounge? It is evident it is closed. It is obvious it is not to be used. It is DARK. This is true of every Neptune Lounge on every ship we have sailed.

Actually the time I tried to use the card the Neptune was not dark, the lights were still on which made me think it was open and I would be able to enter. It was likely something as simple as they forgot to turn the lights off or it was just as they were closing and they had already deactivated the door lock. All other times the Neptune was closed the lights were off.

Oh, I see. I can understand why you would think it could possibly still be open if the lights were still on.

We have had cabins immediately across from Neptune and have never been bothered even the tiniest little bit by any noise. Perhaps we have just been lucky or the noise was on starboard side and we were port??

Oh, I see. I can understand why you would think it could possibly still be open if the lights were still on.

If I'm not mistaken it was just before dinner one evening, I had a question for the concierge. We had 8:00 seating so it would have been a bit before that, near the time they would normally be there.

Archived