Has anyone never had dinner in main dining room ?

granny red

Thats a quite easy one. If one is traveling in the Grills, there is no need to go to the Britannia Dining Room. The menu for the Britannia is expanded in the Princess Grill and further expanded with an ala carte and off menu selections. The other ventues of the Kings court (lido on the QV), the pub, or Todd English's means one can dine well and never enter the Britannia.

Mike

Just curious but has anyone or anyone that you know never had dinner in the main dining room ?

What a great question! I feel sure there must be some.

Maybe...

QG passengers who dine every night en-suite and never visit their restaurant.

Passengers who cross frequently and use Cunard as a mode of transport (even today) and who don't care to "dress up" each night.

Passengers who are very happy dining in a buffet every night and who think the Britannia "stuffy".

My own experience... on QV, last year, on the last morning, at breakfast, I did overhear a passenger say to her partner "so this is the restaurant".

As I said, great question! Very best wishes...

Two years ago we did a San Juan to Southampton crossing on Celebrity Summit. Except for the first night, open seating dinner, we spent each night in the Normandy alternative dining room. We asked the maître d’ if we should leave a tip for the waiter that we would have had in the main dining room, we were told it was not necessary. We went to the Purser and also explained we never meet our dining room waiter but felt we should tip that person and again we were told it was not necessary and we removed the automatic gratuity for the main dining room and we personally left gratuities for the staff we had in the Normandy dining room. Service was wonderful and the food was excellent. There were several tables with the same passengers at them each night. Also if you are a repeat dinner you are offered items not on the menu which is unchanged each night.

Steve

The Normandie on the Celebrity Summit is definitely a great place to eat every night. I wish I had thought of that. On the QM2, if the Britannia wasn't so overwhelmingly impressive, I'd be tempted to eat at all the alternative dining places each night of the week--4 King's Court sit-down restaurants, plus a buffet one night, Todd English, and even room service. Sounds good to me but I'm sure I'll spend at least half the nights in Britannia.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked this question is that on our last trip on QV we ate in Britannia each evening and really enjoyed the whole experience. On our last day we met a couple in the bar who said they had eaten in the Lido each evening and had never once been to Britannia ,I just thought it was such a shame to miss, what was for us,the highlight of our cruise. But each to their own I guess. Not had the pleasure of QG yet but hope to on our next cruise.!!

On the QE2 (where the buffet was not open on last night):

One time, on our table of solo travellers there was a man who preferred to eat in the Buffet - it was due to the dressing up IIRC - he dined with us for the first and last evening only.

Then another time, a solo lady, not on our table, had a shock when I told her the buffet was closed last evening - she said she would have to find her table in the MDR then - she liked the ambiance in the Lido with the candles etc - never saw it for dinner myself - very much a MDR girl:D

Both were (officially) in the Mauritania (sp!!) dining room.

We use the QM2 for a 'crossing' (ferry from/back to U.S.), & we spend weeks in Europe, & we only take one bag per person. So, we do not eat in the main dining room - every nite at the buffet. We dress our definition of 'resort casual' - nice slacks, collared shirt for hubby/nice top for me, no tennies. We ate in the Britannia dining room once, & we were very disappointed - lobster rubbery, no melted butter on table - was spooned over our entire plate by asst., service not very good. Obviously one time is not a proper test, but we liked the food at the dinner buffet - good selection, food well prepared & hot, staff pleasant, if something was not acceptable we didn't have to wait for the do-over, etc.

So, answer to OP's question is "Yes". Some people do not eat in the main dining room. And, the "some people" are more than just DH & I. We met many people (mostly Brits) who were doing the same as us.

I'll probably eat in both the Brittania and Kings Court for my first QM2 cruise, unless one appeals to me a great deal over the other. Being a simple meat and veg girl, the Carvery sounds like my kind of place. I can easily see myself eating there several nights, especially if the Brittannia menues look too fancy. In the past I've sort of flip-flopped venues and took lunches in the main dining and suppers in the Lido (my version of open seating!)

We went on a 21-day voyage on the QM2 and ate in the Britannia dining room for the first few days, but we were given a table for 6 in the noisiest part of the room and as I am deaf in one ear I found conversation impossible. The maitre 'd said that he couldn't move us as there was no room so for the rest of the voyage we didn't go back to the dining room despite receiving little notes from the maitre 'd.

We went on a 21-day voyage on the QM2 and ate in the Britannia dining room for the first few days, but we were given a table for 6 in the noisiest part of the room and as I am deaf in one ear I found conversation impossible. The maitre 'd said that he couldn't move us as there was no room so for the rest of the voyage we didn't go back to the dining room despite receiving little notes from the maitre 'd.

I symphathise with you as my husband is deaf in one ear also and at times this can be very embarrassing for him especially when we are in a noisy area.

I try to sit on his good side and correct him when he mis-hears.

[ Being a simple meat and veg girl, the Carvery sounds like my kind of place. I can easily see myself eating there several nights, especially if the Brittannia menues look too fancy.

Same as me! Although we ate in Britannia every night, on some occasions we didn`t like the fancy food on the menu so usually just had cheese and biscuits. Our waiter didn`t offer us any alternatives so we remained hungry until breakfast the next morning!!

I symphathise with you as my husband is deaf in one ear also and at times this can be very embarrassing for him especially when we are in a noisy area.

I try to sit on his good side and correct him when he mis-hears.

Yes, my wife tries to do that but unfortunately we have only been married for thirty years and she always forgets which side that I am deaf on!

[ Being a simple meat and veg girl, the Carvery sounds like my kind of place. I can easily see myself eating there several nights, especially if the Brittannia menues look too fancy.

Same as me! Although we ate in Britannia every night, on some occasions we didn`t like the fancy food on the menu so usually just had cheese and biscuits. Our waiter didn`t offer us any alternatives so we remained hungry until breakfast the next morning!!

Granny Red

I have mentioned in the past that waiters do not always tell pasengers of the alternatives, and been "shot down" as a complainer. I know that this happens frequently however.(even though some passengers believe that Cunard can do no wrong , they forget that although they may have had the perfect waiter/cabin attendant, not every one is that lucky)

If you go again please know that even if they are not printed on the menu, or mentioned by the waiter, there are ALWAYS alternatives. Shrimp cocktail for one , followed by your choice of salmon, steak or chicken. Hope this helps.

You could have gone to food court for 'supper'. That was my downfall last time. We began well- sticking to 3 meals a day and always enjoyed Britannia at dinner. After a show and a walk, we would go for a final coffee to Kings Court and a chat with others, which soon led to a cracker and small piece of cheese, which then led to more biscuits with more cheese and before you know it .... ;)

Granny Red

I have mentioned in the past that waiters do not always tell pasengers of the alternatives, and been "shot down" as a complainer. I know that this happens frequently however.(even though some passengers believe that Cunard can do no wrong , they forget that although they may have had the perfect waiter/cabin attendant, not every one is that lucky)

If you go again please know that even if they are not printed on the menu, or mentioned by the waiter, there are ALWAYS alternatives. Shrimp cocktail for one , followed by your choice of salmon, steak or chicken. Hope this helps.

I will certainly remember that on our next cruise in July, Jimsgirl. We were not told of any alternatives on our last cruise on QM2.

Yes, my wife tries to do that but unfortunately we have only been married for thirty years and she always forgets which side that I am deaf on!

On our first dinner on the QM2 we arrived a little late so everyone else was already seated. It was a table for 8 and it was man,woman,man,woman in that order, but as I had to sit on my husbands "good" side I sat next to a woman and had to do the same every other evening then. No one mentioned it but it made us feel very uncomfortable for the rest our trip.

You could have gone to food court for 'supper'. That was my downfall last time. We began well- sticking to 3 meals a day and always enjoyed Britannia at dinner. After a show and a walk, we would go for a final coffee to Kings Court and a chat with others, which soon led to a cracker and small piece of cheese, which then led to more biscuits with more cheese and before you know it .... ;)

I mentioned on a previoius thread that I was usually hungry about 11/11 30 at night and I thought that Kings Court was closed as it seemed to be in darkness, but I now know it is open but with dimmer lights. So I am looking forward to a tasty supper on my next cruise !:)

On a slightly different tack I can say I have been on a 21 day cruise and never slept in my cabin....................

You can not drop a comment like that without an explanation, I am far too curious. Plus my imagination is running wild.:D

Maybe when you have been married for 40 years then..................:)

On our last day we met a couple in the bar who said they had eaten in the Lido each evening and had never once been to Britannia

Now that you mention it, we met a foursome on Queen Victoria's Maiden Voyage who hadn't eaten in the restaurant. The men hadn't brought a tie, they didn't own a tie between them. Once they were on board they suggested they buy one (each, I presume, but you never know), people offered to lend them ties, but their wives wouldn't hear of it. :confused:

On the QE2 (where the buffet was not open on last night)...

Yes, I once overheard a man talking to the maitre d' on the last night, explaining that he had never eaten in the dinning room as he didn't have a tie (with him?) and the Lido was closed. The maitre d' said it wouldn't be a problem and they'd be delighted to have him dine in the restaurant that night.

Regards, Colin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenR_UK

On the QE2 (where the buffet was not open on last night)...

Yes, I once overheard a man talking to the maitre d' on the last night, explaining that he had never eaten in the dinning room as he didn't have a tie (with him?) and the Lido was closed. The maitre d' said it wouldn't be a problem and they'd be delighted to have him dine in the restaurant that night.

Regards, Colin.

I remember speaking with a foreigner on a QE2 med cruise who always had his dinner in the Lido. Im not quite sure how it was solved on the final night when he appeared at his table, and explained to the guests where he had been the past 3 weeks.

Then again there was talk of a guy on the QE2s world cruise who had a cabin on 5 deck and took all his meals in the lido and secured a special rate l gather.

Archived