Concierge in the Neptune Lounge

We are cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August.

We will be using the concierge in the Neptune Lounge and I want to tip them accordingly.

My question to those who have used this service, how much did they tip them.

I do not want to start a thread on tipping or not, I am tipping the concierge and want to get an idea of what others do.

This is my first time in a SA suite after many verandas.

We are cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August.

We will be using the concierge in the Neptune Lounge and I want to tip them accordingly.

My question to those who have used this service, how much did they tip them.

I do not want to start a thread on tipping or not, I am tipping the concierge and want to get an idea of what others do.

This is my first time in a SA suite after many verandas.

Since we had 2 HAL Neptune Lounge Concierges we tipped $10.00 per day. I don't know if that was to little or to much, but I do know that they deserved a heck of a lot more than that, but we could not afford more.... Ours was a 7 day cruise.

Joanie

Tipping is a matter of personal choice, as is the dollar amount of the tip. To me, it would depend on the length of your cruise, how often you use the Neptune Lounge, what services the concierges (there will be two of them) provide to you, and what level of service you feel you have received.

Speaking from personal experience, we LOVE the Neptune Lounge, use it extensively throughout our cruises, and have never failed to receive impeccable service from the concierges on duty. We tip accordingly and generously. There is generally a steward (waiter) on duty there as well to take care of the food and beverages throughout the day. We tip him as well.

If you have not used the Neptune Lounge on your previous cruises, be prepared to be spoiled now and forever. It is truly one of the most exceptional areas on any HAL ship.

Enjoy your cruise and Smooth Sailing Always! :)

We were on the Zaandam to Hawaii recently. We tipped each concierge $100.00 the first day as an introduction, and received wonderful service above and beyond what we could have ever expected. We tipped each another $100. mid way and then $100. on departure. This may sound like a lot, but they took over planning several days events, spa appointemnts, private parties and followed through on shore excursions and so much more. They are priceless in the level of service, and do it all with a great attitude. My motto is always to take care of the people who take care of you.

We obviously live in a different world here in the land downunder !

Tipping is no where near an issue here as it seems to be in the US and therefore on the ships that sail out of the US such as HAL.

I am not trying not to be critical of your system however if you pay a person a fair wage for an agreed service then the tipping should not be the major means as to how one earns a reasonable income.

Why would you tip someone as an "introduction"?

It almost feels as an inducement to ensure that you recieve a service that should be forthcoming under normal circumstances.

I agree that if at the end of the day, the service you have received is above par then that person should be rewarded for his / her efforts.

The amount that you give should be commensurate with the service that you have received and more to the point the amount that you can afford to give.

You should not be made to feel obligated or pressured into giving a 'tip' no matter what type of service you have received.

HAL has in one respect a fair system in place that allows all staff to receive some form of "tip" by means of the $11 US pp / pd system.

However I am still a firm advocate of; pay a person what he/she is worth not what he / she will expect to get as a gratuity at the end.

The Aussie expression is "a fair days pay for a fair days work"

We have a different system here and I know as I travel through Europe each year that they have a very similar system also.

Here we tip if we recieve good service at a restaurant and perhaps if you use a taxi but normally other than that it is rare to tip.

Having said all that and not being influenced by what the "norm" is in the US or on a HAL ship I do tip on board as I feel appropriate.

Last year on the Eurodam we had an excellent concierge and he from day one to the 28th day went far beyond his duty. (and yes we did 'tip' in a more than appropriate manner).

The cabin stewards however were polite and did the bare minimum so I was content to know that they received a portion of the $22 US / day.

As I said this is not a criticism of your system just an observation and in which I am grateful that we do not operate under in this country of ours.

I think I can hear the waves already arriving on the shore....so please just my observations.

ciao,

Cristiano.

We were on the Zaandam to Hawaii recently. We tipped each concierge $100.00 the first day as an introduction, and received wonderful service above and beyond what we could have ever expected. We tipped each another $100. mid way and then $100. on departure. This may sound like a lot, but they took over planning several days events, spa appointemnts, private parties and followed through on shore excursions and so much more. They are priceless in the level of service, and do it all with a great attitude. My

motto is always to take care of the people who take care of you.

Wow........ you are very generous people and I'm sure the concierges appreciated that.

We have never failed to tip concierges on any of our cruises and always appreciate their assistance and friendliness but we also have never tipped anything like what you describe. We must be tipping a suitable sum as we are always warmly welcomed back when we return to a ship and see the same concierge or see her/him working at the front office. :)

I write this only so OP and others who are asking for a suggestion of approximately what people tip, will realize not everyone tips $600 for Neptune Lounge staff.

NOT that there is anything wrong with it.

Just not the norm for many of us.

Wow........ you are very generous people and I'm sure the concierges appreciated that.

We have never failed to tip concierges on any of our cruises and always appreciate their assistance and friendliness but we also have never tipped anything like what you describe. We must be tipping a suitable sum as we are always warmly welcomed back when we return to a ship and see the same concierge or see her/him working at the front office. :)

I write this only so OP and others who are asking for a suggestion of approximately what people tip, will realize not everyone tips $600 for Neptune Lounge staff.

NOT that there is anything wrong with it.

Just not the norm for many of us.

I agree with you. Then again, I did not ask for all the things High Seas Texan did. Still, I think that was over and beyond the norm.

Terri

WE were on a 15 day cruise and knew we would be asking for a lot of assistance from the concierge, perhaps more than most suite guests which is why we gave an introduction tips. The term "tips" comes from "to ensure prompt service" and we did not want the staff to feel we were going to take undue advantage of them, but at the same time appreciate the job they do for us and the others onboard. Our continued tipping then throughout the voyage and at the end was just a thank you because they really out did themselves in the level of service provided, so much more than I would have ever dreamed of receiving. We appreciate what they did, and wanted to acknowledge it.

I also meant to add that we never tip in advance. It goes against all my instincts to tip when we arrive. It could be misinterpreted, possibly, as a 'bribe' and I'd hate to hurt their feelings in that way.

There are two sides on this issue and some think pre-tipping merely says that you fully expect to tip and they can expect to receive extra remuneration.

High Texas Sue........ there is positively no reason you need to explain yourself. Tipping is so individual and each decides what feels right for them. Sounds like the concierges did outstanding work for you and I in no way wish to sound like I am critical of your generosity. Without question, it was kind and your choice to thank the ladies in whatever sum you wished. Too many people neglect to say thank you at all. Some don't even say a verbal Thank You let alone a tip. :rolleyes:

Now we are fussing and questioning someone who tips are beloved Concierge's well? I think that High Seas Texan was well within their rights to tip when and how they thought best. The Concierge's did an outstanding job for them.

... and us ...

Add another "us" to not tipping in advance. We are generous in our gratuities when the service(s) are warranted, and 95% of the time, they certainly are.

We have found that by smiling, saying "Please" and "Thank You", engaging our cabin stewards, concierge(s), and waiters in conversation at every opportunity, and being genuinely interested in knowing about their homelands, families, length of their service on the ship, etc, and by NOT treating these hardworking folks as 'servants' - that we always (OK -95% of the time, at least) receive impeccable service.

Now we are fussing and questioning someone who tips are beloved Concierge's well? I think that High Seas Texan was well within their rights to tip when and how they thought best. The Concierge's did an outstanding job for them.

Nobody was questioning or fussing over High Seas Texan tipping habits. He/she did whatever they thought was best for them and they certainly seemed to have received good service.

Sail7seas, Krazy Kruizers and I just plainly stated that we do not believe in tipping in advance. Period.

:confused: Where did anyone say differently?

Did you read the posts?

Archived