Emerald Princess - Jogging Track

Debbierpof

We will be on the Emerald in July (can't wait!). I had read on one of the threads that the jogging track was fairly small. I've looked at the deck plan and can't find the track on there either! :eek: Can anyone supply me with more info? I would rather not use a treadmill, but I guess if the track is fairly short, I also don't want to get dizzy. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

We will be on the Emerald in July (can't wait!). I had read on one of the threads that the jogging track was fairly small. I've looked at the deck plan and can't find the track on there either! :eek: Can anyone supply me with more info? I would rather not use a treadmill, but I guess if the track is fairly short, I also don't want to get dizzy. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!
Better start thinking about the treadmill or elliptical. The so called jogging track is on the Star Deck (Deck 19). The longest part is only the width of the ship. The Promenade Deck is not a good option either, in that it is fairly narrow. I spent a lot of time on the treadmills and then going up and down the stairs from Plaza deck (Deck 5) to Sun deck (Deck 16) for 45 minutes or so. (About 10 round trips.) Enjoy your cruise.

Jogging track is way too small. I used either the tredmills or a brisk walk around the promenade deck. The p deck isn't really made for all out jogging though, too crowded and not really what it was ment for (imho).

Bob

• 6 months later...

The (so-called) jogging track, with little to no protection from the high winds, is 1/16 of a mile. That means 16 laps around equals one mile! This makes it very impractical (useless) in my opinion.

We were able to run on Deck 7 (Promenade) which is .37 miles per lap (1 mile= 2.7 laps) however.... be aware that when you get to the forward part of the ship you have to climb a set of stairs up to deck 8, then around the bow of the ship and back down the stairs to deck 7. It's quite a pain. Additionally, the crew often has the deck roped off for various maneuvers and safety exercises so it's not accessible. Finally, watch out for puddles of water, walkers, passengers wandering about or sitting on chairs on the deck!

Finally, there were about 20 or so treadmills in the fitness center, HOWEVER, most of them were Out-of-Service during the entire 10-day cruise! All things considered.. quite disappointing for jogging.

• 3 months later...

I always run on cruises. Normally I love running on trails but running on a ship while at sea is a close second even though its repetitive and flat. By far, the best ship I have been on for this was the Norwegian Star which has a running track on the open deck above the main pool. It's great because its well marked to prevent walkers from intruding and is actually separated from the sunbathing areas. See this pic (although its the spirit the configuration is the same), great views for runners!

http://www.beyondships.com/sitebuilder/images/2_jogging_track4-383x494.jpg

We've been on Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity and Azamara, with our first Princess cruise next month. The best I've seen is on Holland America--their promenade deck does a full circle, unlike the others. And it's protected, unlike being up on top above the pool deck.

Sue

Almost all the princess ships are the same (except for the small ones). All grand class ships and derivatives promenade goes to the tip of the bow via a staircase on both sides although sometimes they close access off to these areas.

Edited by runnerodb83
incorrect statement

I've been on many Princess ships. Most recently on the Island which did not have a dedicated jogging track. So there I had to run around the promenade. Problem with that is there is always some maintenance going on during the day on that deck and lots of walkers and smokers. I prefer the newer ships which have the dedicated jogging track like Emerald has on deck 19. It is a little small, and windy up there, but I go in the early morning and usually am the only runner. Get a great workout! Treadmills are pretty boring and are heavily used in the morning on most cruises. I would recommend trying the jogging track before you settle on the treadmills for your jog.

Happy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been on many Princess ships. Most recently on the Island which did not have a dedicated jogging track. So there I had to run around the promenade. Problem with that is there is always some maintenance going on during the day on that deck and lots of walkers and smokers. I prefer the newer ships which have the dedicated jogging track like Emerald has on deck 19. It is a little small, and windy up there, but I go in the early morning and usually am the only runner. Get a great workout! Treadmills are pretty boring and are heavily used in the morning on most cruises. I would recommend trying the jogging track before you settle on the treadmills for your jog.

Happy sailing!

Another option is to run the stairs. Sure, people will look at you a little strange, but there are probably fewer people on the stairs than there are on the promenade decks...AND, you can get the same or better workout in half the time!

But the ocean breeze, you dont get, which is a favorite part of running on deck for me anyways.

Another option is to run the stairs. Sure, people will look at you a little strange, but there are probably fewer people on the stairs than there are on the promenade decks...AND, you can get the same or better workout in half the time!

But the ocean breeze, you dont get, which is a favorite part of running on deck for me anyways.

I LOVE running the stairs. I start on 5 and go to 6 then back to 5. Then I do 5 to 7 and back to 5. Then 5 to 8 back to 5. I go all the way from 5 to 16 several times. I do about 45 minutes worth. It's awesome. I do the grand stairs which have lovely padded carpet. Not a lot of people take the stairs, most of the time I see people waiting for the elevator!

• 6 years later...

I just got off of the Royal. It has a great track with a lane for walkers and one for runners. The Pacific zprincesd has a running track above the pool. It is okay. We were on her November through December 2017. We were on the Diamond last November through December and the track is like the Emerald. I am disappointed that the Emerald is no better. We will be on her in March and April 2018.