Sneaking off pre-boarding

Odile

Hullo, all!

We're sailing out of Venice on the 12th of May, and I just recently got our air details (Regent is handling our air and transfers, etc). As this is my first Regent cruise, I'm curious about how they handle the transfers between airport and ship, and whether it will be possible to sneak away from the group for an hour or two and stroll about Venice without jeopardizing our arrangements. It seems we're landing shortly after 9 am, and my understanding is that we can board the ship at almost any time in the afternoon, so there seems to be sufficient time to break away for a little while. I have been to Venice before, so I don't plan to try to tour anything or see any 'official sites,' just want to wander the streets a bit and reacquaint myself with Venice's fantastic charm.

O, more-experienced Regent travelers -- does that sound feasible? Any specific suggestions about when boarding is allowed/when it is required? Is there a chance that we could drop off our luggage early and then go exploring, then return before final boarding? Many grateful thanks for any advice.

When you arrive in Venice, there will be a Regent representative to greet you. If you speak with the representative and hand over your luggage, there should be no problem going off on your own and boarding in the afternoon. The key is to make sure Regent is aware of your plans and transfers your luggage.

Enjoy your cruise:)

• 4 weeks later...
When you arrive in Venice, there will be a Regent representative to greet you. If you speak with the representative and hand over your luggage, there should be no problem going off on your own and boarding in the afternoon. The key is to make sure Regent is aware of your plans and transfers your luggage.

Enjoy your cruise:)

If you are not on a Regent transfer, can you board a ship at noon dropping off luggage and processing in, then leave to see the sights until cabins are ready??

Breezepark,

Absolutely.

The problem we ran into in this regard was our carry-on which had a computer, medications,etc in it. We didn't want to drag it around nor did we want to drop it with the general luggage at the dock. That's why I suggested in my review that Regent initiate a small, onboard secure baggage storage area, perhaps the card room w. one crew member in attendance. Perhaps other board members have other suggestions.

Breezepark,

Absolutely.

The problem we ran into in this regard was our carry-on which had a computer, medications,etc in it. We didn't want to drag it around nor did we want to drop it with the general luggage at the dock. That's why I suggested in my review that Regent initiate a small, onboard secure baggage storage area, perhaps the card room w. one crew member in attendance. Perhaps other board members have other suggestions.

As we embarked the Voyager in Stockholm last year, we immediately went to our suite to drop off our carry-ons and this was at about noon. Announcement that suites were available didn't come until 3:30 but, we didn't need to carry around our things. See no reason why you can't simply drop your things in your suite after checking in and go back off ship to tour until an hour before sailing.

Even if the suite isn't totally cleaned up, the closet area should be available to hold your things and you could even put valuables in the safe at this time. We did ask before proceeding to our suite and the answer was a unanamous yes, put your carry-ons in your suite.

the only caution I would add is that there will be a mandatory life boat drill around 5pm on the day you board. Even if your sailing time is later, you will need to be on board for that drill. (Example - we sailed from Monte Carlo at 10pm on 7th April. Drill was over at 5.45pm and we could have gone on shore until 9.30pm that evening...

Thanks for the heads-up, Hambagahle! Our departure is at 6, so I'm sure to be completely at ease we will make a point of being on board by 3 or 4 at the latest. It's good to know when (approximately) the lifeboat drill will be held.

My poor husband has never seen Venice, so I'm looking forward to showing it to him. Sailing away at sunset should be fairly spectacular!

(One more week! Not that I'm excited. Ahem.)

the only caution I would add is that there will be a mandatory life boat drill around 5pm on the day you board. Even if your sailing time is later, you will need to be on board for that drill. (Example - we sailed from Monte Carlo at 10pm on 7th April. Drill was over at 5.45pm and we could have gone on shore until 9.30pm that evening...

Thank you so much for mentioning how the mandatory life boat drill is handled for late departures. We're scheduled to leave Iceland at 10:00 pm.on 5/26/10 and I couldn't imagine Regents attempting a drill at that late time. Hey, most of us are over 55 and ready for bed....

I don't think it's quite that simple. The times I've been in Venice, the ship was docked at the Maritima Terminal, which is not in the middle of Venice. I do remember walking from town to the ship once, but it was a loooong haul, and walking overpasses and nearly getting lost a couple of times. Water taxi's are VERY expensive. You can get a land taxi from the ship to the central rail station which is one edge of town and walk from there. I'd suggest looking at a map and getting your bearings first.

Thanks! I've been to Venice before, so I have an approximate map in my head, as far as how long it takes to walk from one place to another. I do need to make a point of picking up a street map (and probably a few for other stops as well), as we'll undoubtedly get turned around at some point. Googlemaps calculates 45 minutes walking from the terminal to San Marco's, which seems a bit long, but perhaps their 'walking speed' is slower than mine, I don't know.

Archived