How to get from where the ship docks in venice to the "heart" of Venice?

motherchic

We will be on the Brilliance. No luggage to take with us. The more I read the more confused I am. What is the best way to get from the pier to see the sites? And if so do you have a guess of the prices?

Any help is very appreciated!!!

Thank you sooooo much

Nadine

We will be on the Brilliance. No luggage to take with us. The more I read the more confused I am. What is the best way to get from the pier to see the sites? And if so do you have a guess of the prices?

Any help is very appreciated!!!

Thank you sooooo much

Nadine

You need a guide book and a map. Well worth the price. The more research you do the more fun you will have. Start with http://www.europeforvisitors.com/venice

Rick Steves' book is also a reasonable start. Venice is small. You could walk one way and take a water bus the other. When you say 'see the sites' , there are lots of sights. Most people would start with St Mark's Square including the Doge's palace and The basilica. To get there directly from your cruise ship , take the alilaguna M line direct http://www.alilaguna.it

From St Mark's you could wander back via the Rialto bridge, then over near the Frari church and back to Piazzale Roma. From there take the people mover to the cruise terminal if that stop is open. If not, take it to Tronchetto and walk back to the port.

Another option in either direction is a cruise down the Grand Canal For this you take the No 1 Vaporetto from St. Mark's to Piazzal Roma in either direction. The options are many. Get the book!.

You have several options, but keep in mind that the entire island of Venice is a tourist area and mostly walkable if you can handle walking a few miles over a day. There really is no central tourist area since areas such as St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge are not in the same exact location. But, to answer your question here are your options. You can take the Aligunia Line boat direct from the port to St Marks Square. Another option is to walk from the port (or take the local 6/ bus) to the Piazale Roma where there is a large ACTV pier (these are the vaporetto water buses). You can use the Vaporettos to go just about anywhere around Venice of to the other islands (Murano, Burono, Lido, Torcello, etc). The water buses cost 6.5 Euros per trip which gets expensive (the Aligunia costs even more) but you can buy a 24, 36, 48 or 72 hour vaporetto pass (you can get these at the ACTV ticket office at the Piazale Roma) which is a good deal if you use the Vaporettos more then a few times. For those that want to limit their walking and see some of the other islands we recommend those timed vaporetto passes. Keep in mind that the Aligunia is essentially a shuttle boat service which can only get you from point A to point B wheras the vaporettos are the local water bus system with many different lines running to and fro every minute of the day.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
You need a guide book and a map. Well worth the price. The more research you do the more fun you will have. Start with www.europeforvisitors.com/venice

Rick Steves' book is also a reasonable start. Venice is small. You could walk one way and take a water bus the other. When you say 'see the sites' , there are lots of sights. Most people would start with St Mark's Square including the Doge's palace and The basilica. To get there directly from your cruise ship , take the alilaguna M line direct www.alilaguna.it

From St Mark's you could wander back via the Rialto bridge, then over near the Frari church and back to Piazzale Roma. From there take the people mover to the cruise terminal if that stop is open. If not, take it to Tronchetto and walk back to the port.

Another option in either direction is a cruise down the Grand Canal For this you take the No 1 Vaporetto from St. Mark's to Piazzal Roma in either direction. The options are many. Get the book!.

I'm trying to figure out if we can walk with luggage from the Star Princess to Tronchetto to get on the People Mover to Piazzale Roma then bus it to the airport. I know that there is going to be a People Mover stop at the port in the future but no mention of dates so I don't want to depend on it for Oct.

I have contacted a taxi company for transportation for 8 people but they want me to pay now and I'd rather not.

NO you don't want to walk to Tronchetto. Tronchetto is really just the place where the parking garage is located.

You can either take a city bus the short distance to Piazzale Roma or a taxi.

IF you just have a small carryon you can probably walk to Piazzale Roma but not with real luggage!

You can also take a taxi straight to the airport.

I'm trying to figure out if we can walk with luggage from the Star Princess to Tronchetto to get on the People Mover to Piazzale Roma then bus it to the airport. I know that there is going to be a People Mover stop at the port in the future but no mention of dates so I don't want to depend on it for Oct.

I have walked with bags (one large bag and a carry on apiece) From the Piazza to the ship. The return is about the same difficulty. I did it at age 59 in reasonable shape with no major damage (I was ready to head back for Venice once on board) So it is doable, the walkway is cramped at times and you use the side of the road from the main road down to the pier but you can do it.:cool:

:confused:Thanks to all for answering my question but I don't think I explained well enough. What I'd like to know is if it's closer to walk to Tronchetto or to Piazzale Roma after disembarking? If it's much closer to Tronchetto we can take the new People Mover from there to Piazzale Roma and then use the airport bus. If Tronchetto is just as far as Piazzale Roma we might as well book the taxis to the airport. Our problem is that our flight is at 9:35 a.m. (domestic) and I'm not sure if taxis are generally waiting as early as 6:45 a.m. if we don't reserve ahead of time. Our ship docks at noon the day before disembarkment so we don't have to worry about not being in port ( I hope.)

:confused:Thanks to all for answering my question but I don't think I explained well enough. What I'd like to know is if it's closer to walk to Tronchetto or to Piazzale Roma after disembarking? If it's much closer to Tronchetto we can take the new People Mover from there to Piazzale Roma and then use the airport bus. If Tronchetto is just as far as Piazzale Roma we might as well book the taxis to the airport. Our problem is that our flight is at 9:35 a.m. (domestic) and I'm not sure if taxis are generally waiting as early as 6:45 a.m. if we don't reserve ahead of time. Our ship docks at noon the day before disembarkment so we don't have to worry about not being in port ( I hope.)

That is a great question and we would also like to know the answer. It is approximately 1/3 or a mile from the port terminal building (where you generally get your luggage) to the Piazale Rome. Depending exactly where the people mover station is located on Tronchetto it could be a little closer (about 1/4 mile). We thought it was really poor planning by the Italians to build that people mover and not include a stop at the port. Since the parking garage on Tronchtto is the defacto parking garage for the port we wonder if the port authority is running a shuttle bus. Guess we will have to wait to get some feedback from current cruisers.

Hank

The site for the People Mover states that it started operations on April 19th between Piazzale Roma and Tronchetto Island with another stop to be opened at the port at a later date. Considering that there have been major delays getting it going, it's hard to guess when the port station will be operational. I'd imagine that there must be an issue with the revenue that will be lost by the water and land taxis.

If we decide to reserve taxis, are they able to meet us very close to the ship? Sorry for asking something that may be evident to most but we haven't been to Venice before and I'm since I'm organizing for 8, I'd like to have everything in place and also have back up plans so I won't spend the whole cruise worrying about disembarking......

Also curious about this. We did not like the trek (did 2 round trips) from the Pier to P.Roma with all the heavy traffic.

What I'd like to know is if it's closer to walk to Tronchetto or to Piazzale Roma after disembarking? If it's much closer to Tronchetto we can take the new People Mover from there to Piazzale Roma and then use the airport bus. If Tronchetto is just as far as Piazzale Roma we might as well book the taxis to the airport.

Also curious about this. We did not like the trek (did 2 round trips) from the Pier to P.Roma with all the heavy traffic.

If you go to Google Earth or Google maps, you can see it all. Copy and paste these numbers into the search field 45.439156,12.311059 Don't forget the comma. The green arrow will be at the exit from the terminal building. From there it is 550 yards to where I understand the Tronchetto end of the People Mover is located. This should be at 45.441933,12.310065

On the other hand it is 925 yards up a highway ramp (with sidewalk) to Piazzal Roma. Google earth strret view shows the bridge and sidewalk to Tronchetto as well as a few tourists walking beside the highway on their way to Piazzal Roma. Since i haven't been back since it opened, I await first hand reports. I may also be shown to be wrong.

If we decide to reserve taxis, are they able to meet us very close to the ship? Sorry for asking something that may be evident to most but we haven't been to Venice before and I'm since I'm organizing for 8, I'd like to have everything in place and also have back up plans so I won't spend the whole cruise worrying about disembarking......

Here is how it works. The port has at least two port terminal buildings and most of the cruise lines use the older large bulding that is close to the port entrance. When you disembark from your ship there will be an internal port shuttle that will take you from the gangplank to the port terminal building...which is where you can claim your luggage. Taxis are permitted to drive to this building, so there are usually (not always) some taxis lined-up outside this terminal. Keep in mind that land taxis have a very limited operating radius and can only take you over the bridge to the Piazale Roma or the other direction towards the airport.

Hank

If you go to Google Earth or Google maps, you can see it all. Copy and paste these numbers into the search field 45.439156,12.311059 Don't forget the comma. The green arrow will be at the exit from the terminal building. From there it is 550 yards to where I understand the Tronchetto end of the People Mover is located. This should be at 45.441933,12.310065

On the other hand it is 925 yards up a highway ramp (with sidewalk) to Piazzal Roma. Google earth strret view shows the bridge and sidewalk to Tronchetto as well as a few tourists walking beside the highway on their way to Piazzal Roma. Since i haven't been back since it opened, I await first hand reports. I may also be shown to be wrong.

Thanks for the Google advice, looks like it makes sense to go to Tronchetto but I'm also looking forward to first hand reports.

Your cruise line may offer shuttles (boat rides) to St. Marks Plaza.

This will cost around 10-20pp depending on the ship.

It is very easy. Call your cruise line to see if they offer this service.

Can I buy ACTV tickets at the port? Would like to take the 6/ bus to piazzale Roma and am confused about buying the tickets.

You can usually buy tickets at the newstand in the cruise port building. See the port web site here: http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociera.jsp?nomeInfo=P&iconaInfo=ico-passeggeri&idm=Q3WY8Z7H8DZN9P8U7752DEI9E67U403N8K9V6027J1KF1816W68B49336AUO464J&prg=5

Here is how it works. The port has at least two port terminal buildings and most of the cruise lines use the older large bulding that is close to the port entrance. When you disembark from your ship there will be an internal port shuttle that will take you from the gangplank to the port terminal building...which is where you can claim your luggage. Taxis are permitted to drive to this building, so there are usually (not always) some taxis lined-up outside this terminal. Keep in mind that land taxis have a very limited operating radius and can only take you over the bridge to the Piazale Roma or the other direction towards the airport.

Hank

Hi All: Been reading all about going to and from airport to Hotel then the cruiseport. Would appreciate if could tell whether this makes sense: When get off plane at airport take /6 bus with luggage to Piazzale Roma. Store luggage there,except for small bag. Then take vaporetto, after buying 36 hr vaporetto pass, to San Marco stop. On return day later, do reverse, except at Piazzale Roma retrieve luggage and take bus to cruisehip. Also, will return after cruise back to Venice for another day. After do above, our plane back to Frankfurt then NJ leaves Venice at 7:30 am. Would the vaporetto go about 4:30 AM from San Marco to P Roma for bags then bus to airport that early? Is there a better way to do this?? Is this the only way? Did I understand correctly how to do this? Thanks anyone who understands and can answer this. We leave in 2 weeks and I am getting very nervous. Elaine

Hi All: Been reading all about going to and from airport to Hotel then the cruiseport. Would appreciate if could tell whether this makes sense: When get off plane at airport take /6 bus with luggage to Piazzale Roma. Store luggage there,except for small bag. Then take vaporetto, after buying 36 hr vaporetto pass, to San Marco stop. On return day later, do reverse, except at Piazzale Roma retrieve luggage and take bus to cruisehip. Also, will return after cruise back to Venice for another day. After do above, our plane back to Frankfurt then NJ leaves Venice at 7:30 am. Would the vaporetto go about 4:30 AM from San Marco to P Roma for bags then bus to airport that early? Is there a better way to do this?? Is this the only way? Did I understand correctly how to do this? Thanks anyone who understands and can answer this. We leave in 2 weeks and I am getting very nervous. Elaine

The 6/ bus does not go from the airport. It goes from Piazzal Roma to the cruiseport.

If you are nervous and if you can, take a water taxi direct to your hotel. Especially if your hotel is not at Piazzal Roma

There is a water taxi desk at the airport and it is normal procedure to share. You can also prebook a shared water taxi on http://www.venicelink.com for 27E per person. I would opt for the water taxi anytime. It is a great way to enter the city and be delivered directly to your hotel.

Trust me, you will be glad you did. No schlepping of bags after a long long overnight flight.

For the trip to the cruise port in the morning, your hotel can help you. Again a shared water taxi is well worth it.

Take the #5 Bus from the Airport to Piazza Roma, then take the #1 or #2 Vaporetto from Piazza Roma to San Marco. (The #1 is recommended because it takes longer, around 45 minutes to give you more time to enjoy the Grand Canal.)

We are staying a day early near the rialto bridge and are planning to walk our luggage to san marco to take the M line to the ship. About how long of a walk with luggage can you estimate the walking time?

Take the #5 Bus from the Airport to Piazza Roma, then take the #1 or #2 Vaporetto from Piazza Roma to San Marco. (The #1 is recommended because it takes longer, around 45 minutes to give you more time to enjoy the Grand Canal.)

What about getting from San Marco to the cruise ship port...which Vaporetto # would you take? Or do you recommend another way to the terminal from San Marco? We are staying in a hotel near San Marco and so we could walk there. Also do you know which end of San Marco the drop-off point for the Vapretto....is it near St. Mark's or opposite end? I need to know this so I can judge the walking distance from hotel to San Marco.

Thanks!

The local buses have pretty strict rules about luggage. They usually restrict you to only one piece and it cannot be very large. That is the advantage of the express ACTO which runs from the curb just outside the luggage area direct to the Piazale Roma. It costs a bit more than the local bus, but the ACTO has lots of luggage storage under the bus and no restrictions.

Hank

What about getting from San Marco to the cruise ship port...which Vaporetto # would you take? Or do you recommend another way to the terminal from San Marco? We are staying in a hotel near San Marco and so we could walk there. Also do you know which end of San Marco the drop-off point for the Vapretto....is it near St. Mark's or opposite end? I need to know this so I can judge the walking distance from hotel to San Marco.

Thanks!

You would NOT take a Vaporetto. You would take the alilaguna M line. Alilaguna is a private water bus service. The public vaporetto system doesn't go to the cruise port. Everyone needs to read http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

Archived