Wearing dark colors

lkmamom

But most of these darker clothes are in fabrics such as linen. You will see lots of linen clothing in Europe in the summer. I don't know about humid everywhere, but it can be pretty hot. My "go to" outfit for Europe in the summer is either a pair of dark linen pants or skirt and a silk T shirt (usually white or ivory). I add a bright silk scarf and pair of sandals and I'm good to go anywhere. It's cool, comfortable and does not scream, as another poster wrote, "rob me, I'm a tourist".

That said, you will, of course, see lots of shorts, fanny packs, T shirts with crazy slogans, baseball caps and white tennis shoes. Mostly on American tourists, and that's fine, if that's what they want to wear.

Thanks for your suggestion. I know exactly what you mean with fabrics like linen.

We are not the type who wear T shirts with crazy slogans and we hate fanny packs and white tennis shoes!

BTW, we are Asian so it is rather easy to figure out that we are uniikely to be locals.

Perhaps it is me but this topic does seem silly. Nobody really cares what color you wear and in most cases nobody cares what you wear. In Europe (particularly in Italy) blue jeans have taken over for many folks (particularly the younger crowd) and even shorts are now quite common. My wife has traveled throughout Europe wearing Capris most every day, which is fine even in churches. Women that plan on going to a lot of churches should be careful to cover their knees and not wear sleeveless tops.

Hank

That sounds encouraging. The two ladies in our group intend to wear Capris a lot (I have no idea what a Capri is, but heard both wives make that statement....LOL).

My only past experience in Europe consisted of trips to England, Ireland and France. Must say that I never gave even a second of thought to what color clothes to wear. Then again, I am a guy and might wife may very well worry about this kind of thing.

That sounds encouraging. The two ladies in our group intend to wear Capris a lot (I have no idea what a Capri is, but heard both wives make that statement....LOL).

Capris are fine, and in fact, you should get yourself a pair of "manpris" so you will fit in! Suggest you stay away from the bright colors though.

We just got back from a TA and a few days in Rome--late April. It's true that Italians were mostly wearing darker colors, though not all by any means, especially those who were obviously in work mode. But there was enough variety in what people of all ages were wearing, tourists or not, that brighter colors didn't stand out, and absolutely no one seemed to care.

I'm not talking loud and super-casual, just that color was fine, as were jeans, capris, skirts, and even the dreaded white tennies.

The first day was slightly rainy and then cleared off--maybe hit 70 or so. I was comfortable and felt I fit right in with others in my dark jeans, nice colored top and Born shoes and black light jacket.

The next day I wore nice dark jeans, a pink top and the black shoes again. But, it got quite hot--around 85, if I calculated the celsius correctly, and since we did a lot (8 hours) of walking, I got extremely hot and uncomfortable.

The third day was about the same temp. I wore capris this time with a lime green (sorry, but it wasn't really that bright) tank top and a white shirt to wear over it for going into churches. I was much, much more comfortable. I had to wear my white walking shoes, which I hate with capris, because the black ones would have looked even worse, we were going to walk even more, and I have bad feet that have to have good cushioning. sandals won't cut if for that amount of walking, for me.

There were a lot of athletic shoes, mostly on younger people, especially the kind that look more like the Sketcher brand, and many kinds and styles of boots. Also saw a lot of leggings, some shorts, a few skirts and even some tank tops in churches.

I am 64 and I did notice that older Italian women did not dress casually at all; however, I am not going to tour and walk for miles wearing heels, hose, a suit, etc.

I was also amazed that in the 85 degree heat many Italians were wearing really warm wintery coats; leather, parkas, hooded, padded, wool, and scarves. Long scarves wound around the neck many times seemed to be a trend. (I know it is in the US also.)

I was also amazed that in the 85 degree heat many Italians were wearing really warm wintery coats; leather, parkas, hooded, padded, wool, and scarves.

This has amazed me too, from my first trip to Rome. It was as though the calendar said it was time for fall clothing, even though the weather was really more like summer. Folks went to work in October wearing leather jackets, even though the temperature hit 80 almost every day.

This has amazed me too, from my first trip to Rome. It was as though the calendar said it was time for fall clothing, even though the weather was really more like summer. Folks went to work in October wearing leather jackets, even though the temperature hit 80 almost every day.

So true -- slaves to fashion, those Italians!

Actually I am usually there in the winter months, so I can sport my leather jacket and cleverly draped scarf and look (somewhat) native. Like I fool anyone...;)

It's sort of a lose/lose trying to advise people on what to wear in Europe. Yes, it's true that the Europeans who live in these major cities are going to be more dressed up. They are going to work, and of course they would not dress the same (well, maybe the heels...:rolleyes:) on vacations.

On the other hand, dressing like a tourist doesn't have to involve dressing sloppily or disrespectfully. IMHO, there is a world of difference between wearing a casual cotton skirt or neat capris with a nice linen shirt (or even a fitted tee shirt) and wearing short shorts or baggy, rumpled shorts with a tank top, slogan tee shirt, or loud tropical print.

I always tend to dress a little "smarter" in a city than when I am planning on doing something like climbing over dusty ruins in Miletus. But again, that's just me. I do the same here in my normal travels (e.g., I'd dress up a little more in NYC than, for instance, when visiting Jacksonville FL!) But somehow when one tries to advise this way on a message board, one gets flamed for being the "clothing police".

[quote name=cruisemom42;24308921.

On the other hand' date=' dressing like a tourist doesn't have to involve dressing sloppily or disrespectfully. IMHO, there is a world of difference between wearing a casual cotton skirt or neat capris with a nice linen shirt (or even a fitted tee shirt) and wearing short shorts or baggy, rumpled shorts with a tank top, slogan tee shirt, or loud tropical print.

I always tend to dress a little "smarter" in a city than when I am planning on doing something like climbing over dusty ruins in Miletus. But again, that's just me. I do the same here in my normal travels (e.g., I'd dress up a little more in NYC than, for instance, when visiting Jacksonville FL!) But somehow when one tries to advise this way on a message board, one gets flamed for being the "clothing police".[/quote]

OOOOO Cynthia...... you found the perfect word - smart. Smart casual is exactly perfect for touring in the big cities of Europe. !!!!!

My 2 penny worth is make sure you have something to cover your shoulders if you intend to visit churches and cathedrals. My DD got caught out as she only had vest tops. Most places did provide something if you had not brought it with you.

Archived