Which dinner seating to choose??

OC Mom

Hello everyone!:) We are sailing on the Valor 7/3 to the Eastern Caribbean and I want to catch all of the sunsets. Does anyone know which dinner seating time I should choose so I won't be stuck in the dining room during sunset (whatever time that is)?

Thanks!:)

If you want to see the sunsets...Go with early (1st seating) which is usually around 6 or 6:15. Eventhough the days will be at their longest, at the time of your cruise, you would be rushing it to wait and see the sunsets and also making late seating.

I have not been on the Eastern itinerary... so I'm not sure about that one... but I can tell you that on the Western, we have always done late seating, watched the sunset and then rushed into dinner and been fine... have had window seats and been able to watch the "end" on most nights and it is fabulous!!!

We just did the eastern, and the ship does not change its time. The time down by the islands is an hour later, so the sunset was for us at 5, instead of at 6 their time. So in the summer when say the sunsets at 9, it will be 8 ship time!!

Don't know how daylight savings time figures into this, I can't remember from 2 years ago during our summer cruise.

I am a sunset freak- my family doesn't understand and would schedule dinner all the time during sunset (we were on a Princess June cruise where you can go to the restaurant anytime) and I was always getting up to go to the window to catch a peek. I even made people sitting by the windows open the curtains- don't know why they had them closed during a sunset!!!

We mainly cruise in the summer when sunsets begin around 7:15pm or a bit later.....we choose the second early dining time (6:15). I also enjoy the midnight buffets and the mexican party when in cozumel around midnight so we dine early seating so that we will be a bit hungry for midnight. I also do not like (and have tried it a number of times) to dine after 8pm because about time you finish around 9:45 half the evening is over. I love my nights want them to go slow and long. I do not want half the night to be over when I am done with dinner.

By the way we do stay up between 2-3am but love the evenings and rather eat dinner early sitting. :)

I have not been on Elation, but have been on Sensation.... my favorite spot has been the very back of the Lido deck by the pool... it is usually nice and quiet there. Also, the deck above the main pool on the Lido is good too!! It's usually not crowded around dinner time and you can walk around and find your favorite spot!!

We were there the first week of July and the sunset every night right before 8PM... we loved it. And were always on time for dinner.... Same went for October... but only managed to catch it one night, and it seemed to set a little earlier than July.... but that could have been the tequila :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I called my PVP this morning and changed my dining time to the late seating. It looks like it will give us time to check out the sunset and still make it to dinner.

I also read a lot of threads and articles about choosing your dining time and they noted early seating as being the more likely choice of seniors and families. My husband and I are traveling for my 30th b-day (without our boys) and want to have a better chance of meeting people our age and with less noise from the dining kiddos (I know because mine are noisy too :) ). It will also give us more time in port (2 of the 3 anyways) or for an afternoon nap so we can stay up late dancing. I also heard you can eat more leisurely since no one is chasing you our for the next seating.

Just my thoughts. Hope is was the "right" decision. :D

The early seating (5:45 and 6:15) go to the early show (8:30).

The late seating (8:00 and 8:30) go to the late show (10:30).

OC, I hope you get the seating you request, since no dining time is assured. Just check your S&S card when boarding, and if it isn't to your liking, see the Maitre 'd and ask for a change. Most cruisers get the time they request, but not all.;)

Thanks for the advice Cotton:) . I prefer late seating, but if I had to go to early, no big deal. I'm not into making waves, I can go with the flow (pun intended).I'm on vacation! I plan to relax.:D

Archived